Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Daktari posted:

Favorite extension to get around paywalls?

For the WSJ just Google the title, and then open incognito. They allow one-time reads landing from Google searches.
For most of the rest, they don't really hide the articles under an element anymore. For those that do, you can add the element to uBlock and avoid running a suspect extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Daktari posted:

Favorite extension to get around paywalls?

Just pay the :10bux: for an account so you can watch your Gundam Ronpaul let's plays.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jippa posted:

I'm having this problem where sometimes when chrome is maximised I can't mouse over the taskbar to make it come up. When I minimise chrome manually and maximise firefox this doesn't happen. This also only happens some times and I can't seem too replicate it.

Do you have two monitors? I used to get this problem all the time as well. I remember trying to Google about it once and finding it was just A Thing I'd have to deal with. It really was having the second monitor connected that triggered it too, I used to swap my hdmi between my computer and my ps3 and the problem would mysteriously disappear once the second monitor was gone.

It happened all the time on Windows 7, but I can't recall it happening after upgrading to 10 so I have no idea what exactly fixed it for me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anyone know how to remove extra accounts from Chrome?

Every tutorial I've found online has a "remove" button at the bottom next to "add account" but my Chrome does not.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is anyone else noticing downloads sometime seem to bog down the browser to the point of making the UI lag for up to half a second? And the behavior goes away as soon as the download is completed? Its become frequent for me. I'm only running the extension ublock origin, modified tab order and no smooth scrolling and the only anti virus is win10's built-in one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is anyone else noticing downloads sometime seem to bog down the browser to the point of making the UI lag for up to half a second? And the behavior goes away as soon as the download is completed? Its become frequent for me. I'm only running the extension ublock origin, modified tab order and no smooth scrolling and the only anti virus is win10's built-in one.

I've had that behavior happening on and off for years when download is finishing and up it's always been MSE/Defender/"win10's build-in one".

Keep task manager running and download something that exhibits this behavior and you'll probably see the anti virus churning when Chrome is lagging.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Any ideas why Directwrite looks like dogshit across all of my Windows PCs, including multiple types of monitors? I always have to shut it off after a reinstall, and i need to put the annoying --disable-directwrite-for-ui flag on my shortcuts.

Directwrite on:

Directwrite off:

I guess I'd be curious to see an example of someone using Directwrite that doesn't make their fonts look more blurry.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a braindead easy way to download a base64-encoded image on Chrome? Everything I've googled involves some kind of coding.

e: I got it, thanks

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2016

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

bvoid posted:

Any ideas why Directwrite looks like dogshit across all of my Windows PCs, including multiple types of monitors? I always have to shut it off after a reinstall, and i need to put the annoying --disable-directwrite-for-ui flag on my shortcuts.

Directwrite on:

Directwrite off:

I guess I'd be curious to see an example of someone using Directwrite that doesn't make their fonts look more blurry.

You and me both. I asked recently here and nobody replied so I assume it's Windows thing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Buried in the advanced settings of Windows 10 display properties is a font config wizard thing. Try messing with that maybe.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
just spent half an hour fighting a windows 10 upgrade issue, so PRO TIP: if you upgrade to windows 10 and chrome suddenly starts displaying fonts in super bold or something, make sure you don't have garbage fonts using that name. I had to delete every instance of Helvetica Neue because Chrome thought Helvetica Neue Bold was the only weight available and refused to use normal variants.

(Firefox worked fine)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I have installed the mobile version of Chrome in my cellphone and i had to erase my data (cookies, historial, internet cache) to make space for an update and now all my data using my same account in other devices like my laptop or my work PC is gone. Is that normal or I hosed up somehow? :psyduck:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So I have installed the mobile version of Chrome in my cellphone and i had to erase my data (cookies, historial, internet cache) to make space for an update and now all my data using my same account in other devices like my laptop or my work PC is gone. Is that normal or I hosed up somehow? :psyduck:

That is expected for your course of action, but if you had it synced up signing back in will pull it back down from Google's server farms.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That is expected for your course of action, but if you had it synced up signing back in will pull it back down from Google's server farms.

That worked thanks (although I lost all the urls I had stored in the autocomplete function)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That worked thanks (although I lost all the urls I had stored in the autocomplete function)

Autocomplete is not a form of long-term storage (good luck telling seven hundred million Outlook users that though).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh, I see. That is what threw me off actually, I've cleaned my data on both devices before but those urls always showed up as soon as I synced my account again so I found odd this didn't happened this time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh, I see. That is what threw me off actually, I've cleaned my data on both devices before but those urls always showed up as soon as I synced my account again so I found odd this didn't happened this time.

Yeah now that I look at it Chrome does default to syncing autofill (typing history) and browsing history (which it uses to populate the autocomplete). That IS sort of weird.

In Chrome > Settings > [your Google account] > Sync, are autofill and history checked (or is Sync everything on)?

If so, in https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync/, does it have reasonable numbers for autofill and history? (Don't reset sync you'll delete your entire server-side Chrome data)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yeah now that I look at it Chrome does default to syncing autofill (typing history) and browsing history (which it uses to populate the autocomplete). That IS sort of weird.

In Chrome > Settings > [your Google account] > Sync, are autofill and history checked (or is Sync everything on)?

If so, in https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync/, does it have reasonable numbers for autofill and history? (Don't reset sync you'll delete your entire server-side Chrome data)

Both autofill and history are checked in and looking through https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync/ tells me I have 358 entries in autofill and 72 sites in history.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I can't seem to get the auto-update to work on my Mac. Whenever I go to Help -> About Chrome it just stays stuck on "Checking for updates..." loop indefinitely. I've completely uninstalled Chrome, and every trace of it in my library folders or whatever folders, and the issue still persists. I've tried a couple solutions online, but none have worked. Anyone else have a similar situation? The only way I can update Chrome is by downloading the installer manually, and dragging in the updated version into my applications folder.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mediahint has stopped working for me, and instead of paying them to access the US Netflix selection, i'm wondering if there is a superior alternative available?

Edit: Started using Proxmate, will pay the $2 if it works.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 17, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I finally figured out how to get some of that Material Design theme stuff working with Windows 10 but I noticed that now the UI itself is kinda tiny on W10. Any way to make it a bit bigger at all?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there an addon that when I copy a url to the clipboard, auto opens it in a new tab? Failing that, a third party utility? The behavior I'm looking for is basically, when someone puts a url in a mmo chat I'm in, and I copy it, the addon or whatever will immediately open that url in a new tab without having to go thru the normal ctrl-v into a new tab.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So I finally figured out how to get some of that Material Design theme stuff working with Windows 10 but I noticed that now the UI itself is kinda tiny on W10. Any way to make it a bit bigger at all?

How'd you get it working?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Is there an addon that when I copy a url to the clipboard, auto opens it in a new tab? Failing that, a third party utility? The behavior I'm looking for is basically, when someone puts a url in a mmo chat I'm in, and I copy it, the addon or whatever will immediately open that url in a new tab without having to go thru the normal ctrl-v into a new tab.

Not that I know but you know there's a right-click context menu option for this?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There's not because he's talking about copying from in a game client, not a web page. He seems to wants to be able to copy it from outside chrome and have that automatically open the page with no manual intervention which I'm pretty sure they don't allow.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 31, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DemonMage posted:

There's not because he's talking about copying from in a game client, not a web page. He seems to wants to be able to copy it from outside chrome and have that automatically open the page with no manual intervention which I'm pretty sure they don't allow.

There are clipboard managers with scripting capabilities that can do that. Or the client itself can offer that capability. Set chrome to open links in new tabs instead of new windows, set chrome to be your default browser, set the clipboard manager to automatically open links when they're copied (possibly with an inclusion/exclusion of "Only from these programs")

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

How'd you get it working?

chrome://flags

Look for the material design one and enable it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Who decided the hamburger should become a vertical ellipsis of all things

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Recently I've been noticing Chrome is taking up a shitload of memory. I usually have 15-20 tabs open, and it starts off at about 7-8gigs, and then over a couple of day will work it's way up to 10-11gigs. Is there anything I can do to reduce this other than have less tabs open?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Megasabin posted:

Recently I've been noticing Chrome is taking up a shitload of memory. I usually have 15-20 tabs open, and it starts off at about 7-8gigs, and then over a couple of day will work it's way up to 10-11gigs. Is there anything I can do to reduce this other than have less tabs open?

What problem are you trying to solve? Why does it matter how much memory chrome is using?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Thermopyle posted:

What problem are you trying to solve? Why does it matter how much memory chrome is using?

If he has less RAM than Chrome wants it might be an issue? Not all computers can upgrade their RAM.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If he has less RAM than Chrome wants it might be an issue? Not all computers can upgrade their RAM.

Yes, I can think of many reasons to care about it. I'm wondering what his reasons are.

After all, it's very common for people to complain about something using all their RAM when there's not actually a problem to be solved.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Thermopyle posted:

I've actually started getting low memory messages when playing the new total war game . I have 16 gigs of ram right now.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Megasabin posted:

I've actually started getting low memory messages when playing the new total war game . I have 16 gigs of ram right now.
Perhaps open the Chrome Task Manager, see which tabs uses a lot of memory and close them while playing games?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Megasabin posted:

I'd like to know why you have so many tabs open and why it's so important to keep them open for multiple days yet still play games on the same computer. Have you tried giving the game higher priority in the task manager>processes tab? I know Chrome is known for being a memory hog, but seems like you're asking much.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
have you guys considered closing the tabs and then reopening from bookmarks, just a thought

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I use this plugin specifically because I'm bad at closing tabs.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ijii posted:

I'd like to know why you have so many tabs open and why it's so important to keep them open for multiple days yet still play games on the same computer. Have you tried giving the game higher priority in the task manager>processes tab? I know Chrome is known for being a memory hog, but seems like you're asking much.

Many reasons. I have 7 tabs pinned at all times (gmail, work email, evernote, todoist, etc...). I'm often reading up on 5-6 different topics for work at once, and it can take me days to go through all the material. I also usually have 2-3 tabs on various historical things I'm reading up on as a reference while listening to The Great War/History of Rome. That's besides having whatever other stuff I could be browsing on open.

There may not be a good answer to this issue other than me getting an app to suspend tabs. How is chrome with memory compared to other browsers, specifically Firefox?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If I log out from the Chrome app, clean all the data and then I log again. It would recover my data (mainly my mobile bookmarks)? And more importantly, it would avoid wiping out my data onother devices linked to my account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This is a dumb question, but I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to it. I'm currently using version 51.0.2704.79 m.

Since shifting to Windows 10, full-screening videos on Chrome behave differently during the transition. When I click the full screen button, the video pans down and to the right for a second before going full screen. This happens on both my main laptop monitor and my second monitor, and it happens with both YouTube and Netflix. It doesn't happen on Firefox or Edge. It's not a problem, it's just really weird. Anyone know what might have caused the shift?

My current guess is that something about my dual monitor set-up is confusing Windows 10 that didn't confuse Windows 7, but I dunno what it would be and why it would only impact Chrome.

Edit: Also, I just read the OP: is uBlock Origin still the recommend adblocker? I've been using Adblock like an idiot.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 5, 2016