Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Why does his Hillary look like a drat marionette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

I'm genuinely amazed I didn't hear about comic fans throwing a poo poo fit about a white male character, no matter how obscure, being rebooted as a woman of color.

I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Caucasian, just a bit dusky. Which, you're right, would usually be enough.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hitler B. Natural posted:

I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Caucasian, just a bit dusky. Which, you're right, would usually be enough.

Caldwell: To speak on her look on paper, if she was this young, attractive blond girl, this could easily veer off into the great white savior hoax. That was something that Mark obviously didn't want in this character at all. We wanted something much more nuanced. So we ended up making her a person of color to reflect that she is definitely not your average girl next door. It is also the 21st century in America and white is no longer the default color setting for a character like this.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sir Tonk posted:

Why does his Hillary look like a drat marionette?

Because she's Wall Street's! :downsrim:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

prefect posted:

Caldwell: To speak on her look on paper, if she was this young, attractive blond girl, this could easily veer off into the great white savior hoax. That was something that Mark obviously didn't want in this character at all. We wanted something much more nuanced. So we ended up making her a person of color to reflect that she is definitely not your average girl next door. It is also the 21st century in America and white is no longer the default color setting for a character like this.

Ah, never read that. Neat. It's never brought up either way in the comic as far as I remember, presumably deliberately.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

there wolf posted:

I know that. I was just wondering if there was something especially funny about it starting in Pittsburgh.
Bish does his cartoons for the Trib which is the conservative Pittsburgh Newspaper.

Though granted that CMU professor also dislikes emojis

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.

this is it. this is the worst piece of "art" i've ever seen. i refuse to believe it could get worse than this.

there is always more and it is always worse :(

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wow Tinsley, this isn't a very good likeness of North Carolina governor Pat McCrory, I mean McCrory isn't even black.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

“Time to Ditch the Witch”

The liberal media keep saying Trump is ‘dangerous.’ Wrong. Hillary is a toxic candidate who will continue the status quo game plan of the central banker elite who are really running the show. She’s a toxic, corrupt, lying criminal as well as a power-mad warmonger. When Trump is elected, he needs to send this crooked cackling cankled creature straight to the slammer. #CrookedHillary #DitchtheWitch

BG

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I don't know about "power-mad"; that seems excessive.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Garrison splits the difference by giving Trump one tiny hand and one giant hand

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, down with the wealthy elite! Vote Trump!

Wait...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Starshark posted:

I wonder if Bok thinks America should have tougher gun laws.

It says Americans have the right to bear arms, not gorilla arms!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

"Um, you'll find Trump actually has big hands" - Ben Garrison

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Haha, the little Illuminati pyramid necklace on Hillary.

On a similar note, I hate how Donald Trump's little epithets for his political opponents are just uncritically given a pass. "Little Marco," "Lyin' Ted," "Crooked Hillary," something about his consistently referring to people that way seems childish and has managed to lower the state of political discourse in the country even more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's right Lester, do you have a better idea as to what the zoo should have done? :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

Haha, the little Illuminati pyramid necklace on Hillary.

On a similar note, I hate how Donald Trump's little epithets for his political opponents are just uncritically given a pass. "Little Marco," "Lyin' Ted," "Crooked Hillary," something about his consistently referring to people that way seems childish and has managed to lower the state of political discourse in the country even lower than it was before.
I think a lot of people are still in the staring slack-jawed in horror phase. I know that I am.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

That's right Lester, do you have a better idea as to what the zoo should have done? :allears:

I'm pretty sure this is a pro-gorilla-death cartoon actually

"what happens to a gorilla matters much less than what happens to a child" essentially

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Surprised we haven't seen a WHY CARE ABOUT GORILLA WHY NOT CARE ABOUT ABORTION comic yet, but the McCoys haven't weighed in yet...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D.N. Nation posted:

Surprised we haven't seen a WHY CARE ABOUT GORILLA WHY NOT CARE ABOUT ABORTION comic yet, but the McCoys haven't weighed in yet...

Because the kid was black :ssh:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a pro-gorilla-death cartoon actually

"what happens to a gorilla matters much less than what happens to a child" essentially

Yeah but knowing Lester it can also be the tragedy is that a black child is considered worth more than an animal

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ohhh, it's happening, folks. It's happening! Stantis is starting his pivot right here, mark my words. He's going to use Hillary as the fulcrum to spin "Never Trump" into "Vote Trump", I guarantee it!

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
"Smart man not smart, ME smart! Me patriot, so me smart! Man who is brilliant physicist and astronomer, internationally recognized and frequently cited in scholarly papers is DUMB because he not smart... like ME!"

gently caress you, Kirschen. Stick to schilling your poorly drawn Haggadah.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Surprise tree-hugger message out of Lester.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Met posted:

Surprise tree-hugger message out of Lester.

Take a look at the child and realize he's saying he woulda like to seen a black child mauled to death my the gorilla

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm surprised we haven't seen cartoons about how this is the reason we should close down zoos forever because they are evil for reasons

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

bunnyofdoom posted:

Take a look at the child and realize he's saying he woulda like to seen a black child mauled to death my the gorilla

You honestly expect me to believe that a conservative political cartoonist would see another human being as sub-human based on the color of their skin?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think we should close down zoos, but we certainly shouldn't be putting gorillas on display like that, and we most definitely should not be killing the animals in them for any reason.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Met posted:

You honestly expect me to believe that a conservative political cartoonist would see another human being as sub-human based on the color of their skin?

I'm going to be hearing that for the next month at my job, trust me, that is exactly what they're saying.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good points all around.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Iron Crowned posted:

Because the kid was black :ssh:
Hahahaha

:drat:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think we should close down zoos, but we certainly shouldn't be putting gorillas on display like that, and we most definitely should not be killing the animals in them for any reason.

I think that if an animal's a big enough threat that you have to kill it to protect someone who falls in, and it's smart enough you can't do it without remorse you shouldn't have it in a cage.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

xthetenth posted:

I think that if an animal's a big enough threat that you have to kill it to protect someone who falls in, and it's smart enough you can't do it without remorse you shouldn't have it in a cage.

The thing is they didn't have to kill it. If they'd staffed and responded appropriately a veterinarian could have tranquilized him. Gorillas aren't even dangerous unless provoked, it's not like they're predators, they're basically just super strong and big toddlers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

The thing is they didn't have to kill it. If they'd staffed and responded appropriately a veterinarian could have tranquilized him. Gorillas aren't even dangerous unless provoked, it's not like they're predators, they're basically just super strong and big toddlers.

Uh, no. Tranquilizers take time to kick in, and now you've pissed off the Gorilla by shooting him with a giant loving needle.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Did Lester ever do a single loving cartoon on Tamir Rice?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

The zoo said that the gorilla would potentially be dangerous in the period between being hit by the dart and falling unconscious, which I'm inclined to believe. Also the danger of falling and crushing the boy. I'm more curious why the gorilla enclosure had bars that a four-year-old could crawl through.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

If tranquilizer darts were as safe or effective as in the movies, every policeman would carry one and ammo for humans as well as common animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stickman posted:

The zoo said that the gorilla would potentially be dangerous in the period between being hit by the dart and falling unconscious, which I'm inclined to believe. Also the danger of falling and crushing the boy. I'm more curious why the gorilla enclosure had bars that a four-year-old could crawl through.

Basically this, tranquilizers don't work like they do in the movies. It's not a magical instant knockout, you're going to act drunk for a while first as your body processes it. It would be longer for a gorilla, not to mention, it's not like anesthesia, where they go straight for the vein, with a dart it's just going to go wherever it hits, so it takes longer.

In an environment where you have a lot of commotion around, the gorilla was already going to be agitated, and getting hit with a sharp object is just going to make things worse.

I'm not really thrilled that an endangered animal died, but I think they made the right call. One thing I did learn is that zoos have sharpshooters on staff for this very reason.

As for the enclosure, well modern enclosures rely on people obeying the rules in order to allow the animals at the zoos to have a better life than it was 50 years ago when they were just in essentially animal jail. You can't account for everything, and unfortunately it tends to be a process that relies on some things not being found until something happens.

• Locked thread