Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
It'll never be finished though, don't you see? That's the beauty of this whole thing; you only get refunds if they abandon it (they never will unless they go bankrupt), the game can't be reviewed (negatively at least) because it's in a constant state of un-finished-ness and it's unfair, and the game will never get a proper release because it will always be :airquote:updated:airquote: like other MMOs WoW and EVE.

Star Citizen will never be finished, released, or finalized; Crobberts himself said so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i think if they got up to $120 million they'd have enough to finish the game

Well, they said they needed $20-something million to make it, but have gone 12x over budget for mocap. If we extrapolate that out, they'll need $240+ million to pull it off with the new, enhanced scope & maximal fidelitousness.

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

star citizen : it smells horrible

I can attest to that. Just received mine after 4 weeks, and the smell of kerosene is unmistakable. I wore it today for early breakfast at the local Chinatown, and fit right in with other track suit wearing Asian-Americans (preferred nomenclature)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What.

dingus posted:

The deposit has since been earned by CIG and become non-refundable

Sorry, guys, maritime flag, no refunds.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode? What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode? What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode? What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode? What happened with the talk of the PTU going into maintenance mode?

Look at the patch notes.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Look at the patch notes.

lol never

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Continue on this trajectory outlaw.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Yeah "maintenance mode" might be a bit of a stretch

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Well in 5 months they have managed to graft on clothes shopping so now 80% of screenshots of the glitchy bug filled mess features men in underpants. Other than that they are still talking about how they have to rewrite pretty much the entire engine one piece at a time.

So if it's not actually in maintenance mode it might as well be.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

Sorry, guys, maritime flag, no refunds.

Sounds like Toast's legal expertise has started to metastasize

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

By their definition of keeping something in "maintenance mode," maintaining my car would make it blow up in my driveway.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: The Art and Zen of CryEngine Maintenance

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

iron buns posted:

The Art and Zen of CryEngine Maintenance

Neither art nor Zen to be found therein

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm about 15,000 posts behind.

Sup?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

10 pages from ELE people

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread just stopping by, has any EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT á la Derek happened yet? I mean besides the whole project beeing the modern Titanic with an obvious iceberg ahead (release of sq42) and all that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpl2ZwT4rq0

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

By their definition of keeping something in "maintenance mode," maintaining my car would make it blow up in my driveway.

Clearly Derek was wrong. If the PTU was put into maintenance mode, wouldn't it be at least staying the same?

Instead, it is spiraling into destruction. CIG didn't put it into maintenance mode after all. :smug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

thatguy posted:

I'm about 15,000 posts behind.

Sup?

Sounds like you bought the Completionist Post Package.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

And just for good measure...

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

stinch posted:

Well in 5 months they have managed to graft on clothes shopping so now 80% of screenshots of the glitchy bug filled mess features men in underpants. Other than that they are still talking about how they have to rewrite pretty much the entire engine one piece at a time.

So if it's not actually in maintenance mode it might as well be.
Like with most things, CIG's work on the PU has been reactionary and clothes shopping is no exception. Their best and brightest are working on SQ42, but they couldn't just leave the PU to languish or DSizzle and the goons would be proven right. So they committed whoever they could to adding a persistent feature to the persistent universe at the exact time that CRobbers was complaining about programmers for that sort of thing being hard to find. The best part is that all the clothes use some old system that will be replaced by rigging 2.0 or character pipeline 2.0 or some other bullshit with a made up marketing name so it's all just a huge waste of money at a time where the cash hose is rapidly drying up.

Actually putting the PU into maintenance mode would've been a better decision, but CIG must never ever lose face to a bunch of yodeling boobs on the internet so here we are.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
In the last patch notes "Fixed the texture on a gun hanging on the wall" was noteworthy enough to make it into the list of fewer than 10 things they worked on.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sounds like Toast's legal expertise has started to metastasize

Someone dropped the Toast, legal side down.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Derek should close the thread on page 3999

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Agent_Mothman post history:

"Looked at post history
Obvious troll
downvoted and moving on"

Like clockwork!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Free Tophats!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I love it how in shitizenese/redditese:

troll, n. - person you disagree with

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did these guys never watch the Oblivion Marketing Guy video? Do they think it happened? Do they think it can happen now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5Gag64tEI

All of the videos are good/fake but this one is the best imo

timestamped one for the funniest part https://youtu.be/XT5Gag64tEI?t=3m16s

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 1, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
EVE: Valkyrie + Oculus is pretty sweet.
It's very limited, but the DAKKA DAKKA levels are through the roof.

Also, it highlights very well how much of a fail SC is even in the basic pewpew department.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Did these guys never watch the Oblivion Marketing Guy video? Do they think it happened? Do they think it can happen now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5Gag64tEI

All of the videos are good/fake but this one is the best imo

timestamped one for the funniest part https://youtu.be/XT5Gag64tEI?t=3m16s

It was such a disappointment that this wasn't in the game, I'll never be hype about a game again

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

orcinus posted:

And just for good measure...

Where is that from?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Is that last video from the Lesnick archives?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sperglord posted:

Is that last video from the Lesnick archives?

It's from a short film he did with his brother. It's on youtube. Called strange meat, or spoiled meat? I can't remember.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Where is that from?

http://www.epcivic.com/index.php?/topic/31-ma-best-mate-pikey-bhoys-old-type-r/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

It's from a short film he did with his brother. It's on youtube. Called strange meat, or spoiled meat? I can't remember.

the best part is that film indicates (regardless of his many personal deficiencies) he is naturally a much better actor than Sandi

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Remember the Oldman doodle charity thing?

Ebay took it down because apparently phone numbers were on one of the pages.

It will go up for bid next year minus that info. Looking forward to it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

LGD posted:

the best part is that film indicates (regardless of his many personal deficiencies) he is naturally a much better actor than Sandi

I've seen dust motes that are much better actors than Sandi.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

dogboy posted:

Hi thread just stopping by, has any EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT á la Derek happened yet? I mean besides the whole project beeing the modern Titanic with an obvious iceberg ahead (release of sq42) and all that.

It's ongoing, funding is at 50% of the level it was at this time last year and there's lots of other stuff going on apparently. 130 days until Citizen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Nuclear Winter is coming.

• Locked thread