Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

AP posted:

130 days until Citizen Con.

I've heard they are bailing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/738124068545695744

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh thank goodness i had several burning questions about specific gameplay mechanics and how theyre going to be implemented in this jpeg

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

orcinus posted:

What.

Sorry, guys, maritime flag, no refunds.

I THINK, in their twisted world, what they're trying to say is.

When you 'pledge' originally, it is a 'deposit' towards making the game.

If you don't bail out and get a refund soon after (read: within a matter of day's I'm sure) they consider the pledge or deposit to be 'earned' by the hard working multinational corporation that is CIG, and such the funds are already earmarked for development (read: another 5k couch for :ben: to sit his fat rear end on)

But that being true they should have a monthly accounting to show where all the pledges are going, and here we stand.

Most open development in the world ever since it was a little girl

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know the quote about why CIG moved to SoCal? Wasn't it around being centrally located to their marketing efforts? If so laffo that a year later they are bailing on E3.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

You don't need those mention those who fell in the console wars to make your shilling case more noble, I know emotional manipulation is how CIG captures whales in the first place, but if you're literally mentioning your veteran grandfather in order to....what? Make me feel bad about ripping into you on this particular day for signing into SA to try and damage control for CIG?

This forum is for comedy. CIG is a joke, and you have run out of lines. Perhaps you should ask Crobberts for a few, although I don't think he'll share.

You will have no sympathy or quarter from me, ever, because your company has no sympathy or quarter for anything resembling ethical business practices, human decency or moral substance.

Forgive me if I trust nothing you say in regard to your intentions. You work for CIG.

:boom:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lamest.
Extinction.
Level.
Event.
Ever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
ABH seems a bit testy today

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

hmm no cargo space, no bed, no jump drive

I WONDER WHY THIS IS GONNA GET FAST-TRACKED TO THE PU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

I THINK, in their twisted world, what they're trying to say is.

When you 'pledge' originally, it is a 'deposit' towards making the game.

If you don't bail out and get a refund soon after (read: within a matter of day's I'm sure) they consider the pledge or deposit to be 'earned' by the hard working multinational corporation that is CIG, and such the funds are already earmarked for development (read: another 5k couch for :ben: to sit his fat rear end on)

But that being true they should have a monthly accounting to show where all the pledges are going, and here we stand.

Most open development in the world ever since it was a little girl

What the gently caress.
It's not a deposit.
The game isn't interest.

Jesus christ, this is even more retarded than MoMA's ToS interpretations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mirificus posted:

Yeah, noticed that.

Glad to see the women of SC gained some traction though earlier.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Patch N to go live soon.

paarp

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Ben takes some time to respond to a concerned citizen

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/331508/to-whom-it-may-concern

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ben Lesnick - Developer

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ben Lesnick, Delelelevsiougpaug;aisufjb;oiduh;ohokzashj;

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Their legalese is cute when you consider how many of their own writings on their site talks about "sales" and "buy" and "purchase" and the fact they charge taxes on "pledges"

"We won't talk about the NEXT patch because we haven't even begun to think about it :)" Also patches aren't the same thing as updates ashfdjhfasdhfdjkflasf

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 1, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

hmm no cargo space, no bed, no jump drive

I WONDER WHY THIS IS GONNA GET FAST-TRACKED TO THE PU

Plus they can just massage the Sabre's flight model to fit, which is just a tweaked Gladius, which isn't actually a flight model at all! The circle of life!

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Amazing, most individuals working on hobby projects for free would give a more professional response than that.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
"networking issues relating to persistence"

Is there any way to interpret this other than CIG is having issues figuring out how to save the status of things on their servers?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Because I am so sick of hearing that "You know nothing about games development!" canard, here is a chart that I highly recommend everyone download and distribute as needed to shut people up when they act like 4.5 years of pre-alpha development is just just par for the course.

IT ISN'T. And there are a lot of titles that started later and will deliver sooner that offer a LOT more features and content that we've seen to date.

Each title above is a direct competitive threat with Star Citizen or Squadron 42. All will be released before Star Citizen is finished. The titles above will each generate hundreds of millions of dollars on their first day of release. Star Citizen, on the other hand, has already generated and spent a great deal of its first day revenue because nearly all revenues generated to date have been pre-orders for games or for spaceship DLC.

Also- in case any of you lurkers haven't figured it out yet, SQUADRON 42 IS NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR. OR EARLY 2017. If it was, CIG would have stuff to show at E3. It should bother you that Derek Smart is telling you things before CIG does. Do you really believe that's what "Open Development" should feel like?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 2, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

stinch posted:

Amazing, most individuals working on hobby projects for free would give a more professional response than that.

Yeah but the customers that buy his companies product are loving stupid and literally beg to be treated badly, paying more than they can afford for the privledge in some cases. So why would he need to be professional?

He could pretty much go "Look jerks, we are loving working hard on this poo poo. We don't owe you anything. You'll be lucky if we even loving make anything. Shut the gently caress up" and there would probably be applause and a surge of funding. This post will probably be quoted in some Pro-CIG capacity with people going ":smug: I'd love it if Ben talked like that to the weak masses :smug:"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

oops hold on

Don't pull a Derek

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Mirificus posted:

:iceburn:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Don't pull a Derek

Fixed it- had a minor graphic issue. (It's above.)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SomethingJones posted:

While we're sharing, let me just say that Ben is an insufferable oval office.

Have you considered sucking him?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

G0RF posted:

Because I am so sick of hearing that "You know nothing about games development!" canard, here is a chart that I highly recommend everyone download and distribute as needed to shut people up when they act like 4.5 years of pre-alpha development is just just par for the course.

IT ISN'T. And there are a lot of titles that started later and will deliver sooner that offer a LOT more features and content that we've seen to date.

Each title above is a direct competitive threat with Star Citizen or Squadron 42. All will be released before Star Citizen is finished. The titles above will each generate hundreds of millions of dollars on their first day of release. Star Citizen, on the other hand, has already generated and spent a great deal of its first day revenue because nearly all revenues generated to date have been pre-orders for games or for spaceship DLC.

Also- in case any of you lurkers haven't figured it out yet, SQUADRON 42 IS NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR. OR EARLY 2017. If it was, CIG would have stuff to show at E3. It should bother you that Derek Smart is telling you things before CIG does. Do you really believe that's what "Open Development" should feel like?

Doesn't include Elite Dangerous :colbert:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Doesn't include Elite Dangerous :colbert:

"But Elite started development in the 1800s!!!!"

Yeah I do need to fix that oversight. I need to do the research, unless anybody has a quick headcount / and the start date of dev work.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Nuclear Winter is coming.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

G0RF posted:

Yeah I do need to fix that oversight. I need to do the research, unless anybody has a quick headcount / and the start date of dev work.

Skunkworks started sometime in 2009. Development fired up in Jan 2011 when The Outsider was canned by Codemasters. KS in Nov 2012 (after UK Kickstarter was founded Oct 2012), alpha Dec 2013, Premium Beta Jun 2014, release Dec 2014. Horizons 2.0 Dec 2015, etc.

At ED's release there were 100+ on the ED dev team, currently there are between 150-180 - the audio team for example switches between it and Planet Coaster depending on needed tasks. Total Frontier employees number around 290.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

G0RF posted:

Skunkworks from 2009-2012, pre-alpha until Dec 2013, alpha until May 2014, beta until release in Dec 2014.

Headcount, no clue.

e: Beaten to the punch by Quavers, a rather delicious cheesy puff crisp...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Skunkworks from 2009-2012, pre-alpha until Dec 2013, alpha until May 2014, beta until release in Dec 2014.

Headcount, no clue.

e: Beaten to the punch by Quavers, a rather delicious cheesy puff crisp...

:hfive:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

orcinus posted:

I love it how in shitizenese/redditese:

troll, n. - person you disagree with

That's also the Reddit definition of shill.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The developer of 4vs1 horror survival Dead By Daylight, Behaviour Digital, are trolling CIG too with a familiar pose:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Checking in after my first day of vacation, went to see something that I don't ever expect to see in SC...

A real Biome:

View from a floaty platform that seemed much too high up and wobbly underfoot. :D

Friggin awesome. :)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You just know the response to that chart will be

"But none of those games have the SCOPE or FIDELITY of our game."

"Nothing like this has ever been tried before, unlike those cookie-cutter AAA re-hashes."

"You just don't understand game development!"

and you will lose a little more hair.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

"Nothing like this has ever been tried before, unlike those cookie-cutter AAA re-hashes."

"You just don't understand game development!"

and you will lose a little more hair.

Then you just respond with gifs and videos like AP does with Moma

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think the main issue with Star Citizen is that it's poo poo

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Skunkworks started sometime in 2009. Development fired up in Jan 2011 when The Outsider was canned by Codemasters. KS in Nov 2012 (after UK Kickstarter was founded Oct 2012), alpha Dec 2013, Premium Beta Jun 2014, release Dec 2014. Horizons 2.0 Dec 2015, etc.

At ED's release there were 100+ on the ED dev team, currently there are between 150-180 - the audio team for example switches between it and Planet Coaster depending on needed tasks. Total Frontier employees number around 290.

I will add it tomorrow - thanks!

peter gabriel posted:

I think the main issue with Star Citizen is that it's poo poo

^^^ This. All of it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Cactus posted:

Star Citizen has 1 planet you can't land on and no stars. There are NO STARS in Star Citizen after 4.5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Justin Tyme posted:

Their legalese is cute when you consider how many of their own writings on their site talks about "sales" and "buy" and "purchase" and the fact they charge taxes on "pledges"

"We won't talk about the NEXT patch because we haven't even begun to think about it :)" Also patches aren't the same thing as updates ashfdjhfasdhfdjkflasf

Why are you spreading these lies, citizen? It's very clearly laid out in the collective unconsciousness that these are donations to CR's glorious vision. CIG will soon be granted it's tax-exempt status as a religious organization.

• Locked thread