Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DatonKallandor posted:

There's spiral staircases going up to the upper level, but there's a waist high swivel-fence blocking them, so they are 100% unusable for heroic Heroes on a Quest.

This is at least as stupid as the Shrine of Winter and the Iron Keep elevator combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Genocyber posted:

It actually makes sense in DeS since the homeward bone equivalent (shard of archstone) is incredibly rare.

And once you do unlock the vendor (Patches), they're absurdly expensive compared to Homeward Bones at 5k a pop.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Waste of an infinite resource you grind out easily.

Did it ever occur to you that by using flame arc you're wasting mana that could be used on other spells and weapon arts?

No idea what your talking about dude. And its pretty simple to avoid wasting FP if you know what kind of character you want to make: for a spell caster, why would you need to buff your weapon? You don't want to be in melee range in the first place. As a melee build though, I use weapon buff spells all the time, they also take up a surprisingly low amount of FP to cast so you have plenty of FP left over to waste on your weapon arts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MarshyMcFly posted:

No idea what your talking about dude. And its pretty simple to avoid wasting FP if you know what kind of character you want to make: for a spell caster, why would you need to buff your weapon? You don't want to be in melee range in the first place. As a melee build though, I use weapon buff spells all the time, they also take up a surprisingly low amount of FP to cast so you have plenty of FP left over to waste on your weapon arts.

Carthus flame arc costs 30 FP. Even with 14 attunement, the most any class that isn't going heavy magic starts with, you only have enough for 3 casts. You can carry 5 resins of every type, so you get way less out of weapon buffs on a base attunement melee build. If you're raising attunement, then you're also raising your spell casting skills. In which case, you can use one of the buffs that is actually superior to flame arc since they have better scaling.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:eyepop: Holy hell is it ever fun to run around with a slumbering dragoncrest ring, Aldrich's Sapphire, and Hidden Body so I can just backstab everything literally forever

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

everyone should always run Deprived therefore you have 0 reason to not use Flame Arc :colbert: simple logic jeez

I think you're joking but Deprived is practically the worst class for any build that isn't SL1

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Knight is pretty much the best starting class for a non-caster (and objectively better than Deprived for it) due to the fact that Intelligence, Faith, and Luck are lower than 10.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BillmasterCozb posted:

:eyepop: Holy hell is it ever fun to run around with a slumbering dragoncrest ring, Aldrich's Sapphire, and Hidden Body so I can just backstab everything literally forever

Slumbering Dragoncrest and Hidden Body put anything that isn't a boss on Narrative Mode. Even just Slumbering Dragoncrest is way more useful than you'd think.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Carthus flame arc lasts 90 seconds, charcoal lasts 60 seconds.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It's hilarious how the biggest/only disadvantage of starting deprived in this game is you have slightly less optimal stats at level 120.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
FROM hates weapon buffs and you so do whatever you want.

Remember when they nerfed Flame Weapon, one of the most annoying pyromancies to get, into the ground so hard that it became nearly useless? They do this poo poo all the time. So do what you want.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah starting class in this game only matters slightly more than it did in Bloodborne. Pretty much your choice determines how hard it is to kill Iudex Gundyr and... that's it.

e: I seem to remember in DS2 that you couldn't be invaded if you were resting at a bonfire. This is apparently not the case in DS3. I found this out as I rested at a bonfire, went to go pee, and came back to see some shitbag backstabbing me.

Luckily he hadn't killed me. His Washing Pole poke spam was no match for my BK Glaive :black101:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah starting class in this game only matters slightly more than it did in Bloodborne. Pretty much your choice determines how hard it is to kill Iudex Gundyr and... that's it.

yeah I am doing a mainly str/dex build now but I started as a sorcerer because I'm pretty bad at these games and it was way easier to beat him with magicks.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

RyokoTK posted:

e: I seem to remember in DS2 that you couldn't be invaded if you were resting at a bonfire. This is apparently not the case in DS3. I found this out as I rested at a bonfire, went to go pee, and came back to see some shitbag backstabbing me.

Luckily he hadn't killed me. His Washing Pole poke spam was no match for my BK Glaive :black101:

This was definitely not the case in ds2 either, an invader would just 'unrest' you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Okay, I guess I just never got invaded while AFK at a bonfire in DS2. :shrug: But in reality I didn't get invaded much outside of that goddamn bridge anyway so I guess I'm not surprised.

I know I'm not actually out anything because the souls are literally right there where I died, but it's still annoying that I would have to actually leave the zone if I want to AFK in peace.

Today was a good day for PvP though. Had what ended up being a giant 3v3 brawl in the post-Pontiff area, the host and two phantoms versus myself and two other Aldrich Faithful. That was a blast. I really wish the DLC would add some kind of structured PvP stuff (like in DS2, but bigger) because I would do team fights all day every day forever.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 2, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

invasions weren't that common in dks2 because of the limited nature of cracked eye orbs

really invasions have been on a downslide since dks1

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've had it drop bonfire invasions on me in Archdragon Peak, but nowhere else thus far. It was weird, because it was seconds after killing the QTE dragon boss. It teleported me, I ran up and clicked the bonfire and then couldn't rest at it. Then I noticed a fog wall in the far archway. It doesn't put one in front of the bonfire door, which is presumably why you can be invaded there. I'm guessing some bonfires that get fog-walled off like the first one in Irithyll immediately after exiting the Catacombs might be invasion immune, whereas others that are out in the open are not. But who knows?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Areas that connect one zone to another have all multiplayer disabled. The longest instance of this is everything from the Undead Settlement elevator where you meet Siegward alllllllllllll the way to the Halfway Fortress bonfire in Road of Sacrifices, and that also includes the side-area in Settlement with the fire demon because you get there from the elevator.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was thinking that the Grand Archives upper portion is really cool but not much is done with it. It would of been neat if the giant cage at the top was even bigger and had an optional angel boss in it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Just summoned a dude called pontiff Klimt dressed in full deacon wear after helping me fight Sulyvahn he then dropped a divine blessing for me just before he disappeared, A+ would summon again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I was thinking that the Grand Archives upper portion is really cool but not much is done with it. It would of been neat if the giant cage at the top was even bigger and had an optional angel boss in it.

you drop into the cage and suddenly 5 golden fat guys land on your head

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

you drop into the cage and suddenly 5 golden fat guys land on your head

DS3 really laying on the Buddhism allusions pretty thick this time around

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Puntification posted:

Just summoned a dude called pontiff Klimt dressed in full deacon wear after helping me fight Sulyvahn he then dropped a divine blessing for me just before he disappeared, A+ would summon again.

I like to drop gifts for good hosts or if I invade a person that beat me handily/in a nice fashion prior to said invasion. It's fun to do.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I just finished my new game+ and I'm starting up the third round. I love the game and from the covenents, the mound-makers stand out as a fun addition. For me, some organized pvp like fight clubs with some gently caress just standing around summoning dudes is boring. Best pvp happens spontaneously in the most hectic moment and having a sort of 3rd party who can attack anyone makes things even more interesting. I just hope From would alter them a bit so that they could be even more unpredictable.

1) All mad spirits should follow same rules regarding other spirits and enemies, regardless of the method of entering host's world (white/red/orb)

2) If no other phantoms or spirits are present in the host's world, the mad spirit should have some possible motivation to help the host, so that this sort of situation wouldn't always clearly be a 1v1 pvp. Maybe a chance for the mad spirit to help host with boss (change from mad to regular white phantom for the boss fight) for some extra rewards? The idea here is that even in a "host and a mad spirit" situation, the host couldn't be 100% sure what the spirit is thinking.

This could lead to some fun situations, like a mad spirit invading via a red eye orb, there would be some invaders and co-op phantoms around, the situation would be a total clusterfuck and finally only the host and the mad spirit are left standing, the boss door is nearby and the two end up beating the boss together.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fire Barrel posted:

I like to drop gifts for good hosts or if I invade a person that beat me handily/in a nice fashion prior to said invasion. It's fun to do.

It was how thematically appropriate the gift was that really tickled me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

I just finished my new game+ and I'm starting up the third round. I love the game and from the covenents, the mound-makers stand out as a fun addition. For me, some organized pvp like fight clubs with some gently caress just standing around summoning dudes is boring. Best pvp happens spontaneously in the most hectic moment and having a sort of 3rd party who can attack anyone makes things even more interesting. I just hope From would alter them a bit so that they could be even more unpredictable.

1) All mad spirits should follow same rules regarding other spirits and enemies, regardless of the method of entering host's world (white/red/orb)

2) If no other phantoms or spirits are present in the host's world, the mad spirit should have some possible motivation to help the host, so that this sort of situation wouldn't always clearly be a 1v1 pvp. Maybe a chance for the mad spirit to help host with boss (change from mad to regular white phantom for the boss fight) for some extra rewards? The idea here is that even in a "host and a mad spirit" situation, the host couldn't be 100% sure what the spirit is thinking.

This could lead to some fun situations, like a mad spirit invading via a red eye orb, there would be some invaders and co-op phantoms around, the situation would be a total clusterfuck and finally only the host and the mad spirit are left standing, the boss door is nearby and the two end up beating the boss together.

The second occasionally happens. I've done it and, in one instant, had a mad spirit help me fight off two invaders while killing the giants at the Cathedral of the Deep. But you are right, there should be more incentive to do this. Maybe get a random item if you help the host get to the boss door or something? Fighting with a mad phantom at your side against a boss would probably just be lots of friendly fire.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I think it should be randomized, and only the purple will see what the goal is (but with there only being one goal picked at a time).
I.e.

1) Kill x phantoms
2) kill the host
3) assist the host in killing the boss

That way, when you summon one or one invades, you have no idea what they are going to do. Even if they gesture to you in a way that suggests they are trying to help you, it could just be to catch you off guard so they can kill you easier.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DS3 poise illustrations #37

http://i.imgur.com/MYAmWBi.webm

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want to just roll around in a field of puppies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kill that group of dogs at the start of the undead settlement and roll around in their corpses

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm up to the kiln, so I assume the end is near. Is it gonna send me straight into NG+ when I finish, or can I still do stuff afterwards like in DS2?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

super fart shooter posted:

I'm up to the kiln, so I assume the end is near. Is it gonna send me straight into NG+ when I finish, or can I still do stuff afterwards like in DS2?
DS2 model. You'll get a prompt at the shrine bonfire.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Do you actually need to meet the faith requirement of the scholar's candlestick to get the sorcery boost from it? If not, I'll feel very foolish for starting my sorcerer as a pyromancer for a slightly easier time, because that base faith rating is eating points that could've gone to vigor or strength/dex for more weapon options!

I suppose I could try fitting tears of denial into my spell set somehow... That'd maybe make it worthwhile.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Do you actually need to meet the faith requirement of the scholar's candlestick to get the sorcery boost from it? If not, I'll feel very foolish for starting my sorcerer as a pyromancer for a slightly easier time, because that base faith rating is eating points that could've gone to vigor or strength/dex for more weapon options!

I suppose I could try fitting tears of denial into my spell set somehow... That'd maybe make it worthwhile.

nope

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Someone oughta put the YOU DIED graphic on that.

But not me, is all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

No, but having a bit of faith is certainly not a terrible thing. That'll give you more pyro options, and trust me when I say that you'll want a damage type other than magic for certain bosses (Crystal Sage, Oceiros, and Aldrich) and enemies.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Genocyber posted:

No, but having a bit of faith is certainly not a terrible thing. That'll give you more pyro options, and trust me when I say that you'll want a damage type other than magic for certain bosses (Crystal Sage, Oceiros, and Aldrich) and enemies.

Only pyrospell that matters for pve is chaos fireball anyway and it has no faith req. The main reason you might want to do faith is 15 for tears of denial because youre going low HP. 16 if you hate to see that x while having the candle equipped. Havent actually tried low faith dark sorceries so cant say how much it hurts the damage on that.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just tried invading for the first time with the exile greatsword and that thing hits like a truck with the R1, R1, L2, R2, combo. Was having some problems with a gank squad until the host rolled off a cliff after me and a second red killed his two phantom buddies. Fucker kept resummoning but we blocked him off between the spawn and first bonfire at Archdragon peak.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
At the very least always level your int and faith up to ten as if you want to cast some spells you can just equip the +5 stat rings from Lothric Castle available later on in the game. Most of the best spells in the game have really low stat requirements (Rapport, Hidden Body, Spook) and you can just un-equip the rings afterwards once cast. However, remember that some spells may be too fp-intensive for you unless you've been leveling attunement (Tears of Denial costs 100 FP for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh... I found adult crystal lizards. I've been killing their babies? Nooooooo