Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So I did some more dried finger with way of blue running around today and... man, every single person I ran into had a caestus or buckler and were parry fishing bastards. Every single one of them I have no doubt had the hornet ring. I wouldn't care about parries if they either could be actually be punished worth a drat or didn't instantly end fights. It's absurd and it completely warps PvP around parries. At best, it drags out already long and sloggy fights. At worst, it's an exercise in frustrating misery as time after time, they land that lucky parry no matter how much you varied up your swing speeds, because they only need one and they only need to get lucky once. Keyword: lucky, there's no skill involved at all. You hammer the parry at vaguely the right time and eventually the netcode will hand it to you. Parries also come out fast enough that if you do try to delay a strong attack in an attempt to outwit the parry spam, well congrats, enjoy your face full of straight sword instead, because they don't actually have to commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try unparryable

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Parries would matter less if estus was punishable at all

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hitting someone drinking causes them to choke to death on their estus bottle. This can be prevented if a friendly phantom is nearby has a Ring of Heimlich

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

NTT posted:

True enough, then they'd only get a few tries instead of running away and healing and ending up with like, 30 tries at parrying you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NTT posted:

Not really, that's kind of a separate issue. Only real problems with parrying is that ripostes are too strong (they should probably be nerfed across the board a bit, with the hornet ring bonus nerfed to 20% or less as well) and the caestus has too quick of a recovery time. Fix those and it's fine.

For estus that should just make it heal over time so if someone's low you can actually finish them off if you hit them as they estus.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is the estus animation shorter now or something? i don't remember as many people talking about it in the old games. though it is a motherfucker with some NPCs, Hodrick is a dick about pounding estus.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
wait is parry spam an actual issue? dont most weapons have unparryable moves?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

No idea what your talking about dude. And its pretty simple to avoid wasting FP if you know what kind of character you want to make: for a spell caster, why would you need to buff your weapon? You don't want to be in melee range in the first place. As a melee build though, I use weapon buff spells all the time, they also take up a surprisingly low amount of FP to cast so you have plenty of FP left over to waste on your weapon arts.

As a caster you absolutely still want a melee weapon and it does help to have a buff, because if you use nothing but spells on every single enemy then you will run out of FP in many areas, unless you go entirely blue estus or something. A decent melee weapon for lone chumps or guys who get in close goes a long way toward preserving it so you can have more yellow estus. And if you're a caster, you may want your attunement slots for more spell variety which means items are convenient.

On my sorcerer I just skipped both and used a crystal longsword for decent magic damage without any buff required, and packed soul greatsword for when I wanted to feel metal

Iretep posted:

Some do but for most weapons the only unparryable move is the jump attack, which is pretty slow and also can get misinterpreted by the controls a lot.

Then if they have the hornet ring they only need to get 1 parry to work and you are dead. If you try to be cautious because you don't know when people will parry, you will probably give them lots of opportunities to heal any damage you do manage to get in between their parry attempts, so it results in a situation where you have to hit them thirty times total to win while they have to hit you once.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Million Ghosts posted:

is the estus animation shorter now or something? i don't remember as many people talking about it in the old games. though it is a motherfucker with some NPCs, Hodrick is a dick about pounding estus.
Estus drinking is way quicker now (and instantly refills) than even with 100 Agility in DS2, which still slowly filled the bar.

Iretep posted:

No, most weapons don't. Almost all L2s can be parried (even, for example, the Farron Greatsword's crazy spin...okay that's an L1, but also most spin-to-wins from halberds and such), you're only really safe with two-handed UGSs and Great Clubs etc.

EDIT: yeah, and jump attacks but those are hard to execute, land and leave you open.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

No, most weapons don't. Almost all L2s can be parried (even, for example, the Farron Greatsword's crazy spin...okay that's an L1, but also most spin-to-wins from halberds and such), you're only really safe with two-handed UGSs and Great Clubs etc.

EDIT: yeah, and jump attacks but those are hard to execute, land and leave you open.

Whoa! I did not know that the Farron spin/spin moves could be parried! That's great information and, if I'm honest, considering how easy it is for people to use gs/ugs and shields in these games, I don't mind being able those being parryable.

That said, perhaps it's due to my weapon choices, but I rarely one shot someone with a riposte while wearing the hornet ring. 40/40 STR/DEX, if anyone is wondering. If I can connect with the second attack they're always done though, even if they survive the riposte. I almost always get 1-shotted though, but I have relatively low VIT.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Hitting someone drinking causes them to choke to death on their estus bottle. This can be prevented if a friendly phantom is nearby has a Ring of Heimlich

I always liked the idea that if you tagged someone with a Lloyd's talisman within a short time frame of an estus chug the dude would throw up either losing the regained health or getting stunned for a critical on top of the usual effect.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SynthOrange posted:

Oh... I found adult crystal lizards. I've been killing their babies? Nooooooo

No those are just freaky mutant crystal lizards. The little bastards are the normal sized ones.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

So a few times I invaded/summoned for co op in the undead settlement when I showed up in the host's world, the whole place is completely colorless and grey. What causes that?

Tengames fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I kinda feel dirty for using a caestus for parrying now, but medium shields seem really lovely for blocking another player's attacks and it seems like the only way I can counter, or at least scare off anyone who's just spamming R1. It's the estocs that finally made me switch, since I couldn't seem to parry them with a kite shield between attacks 2 and 3, and trying to roll away often got me hit a couple more times. Then again, I don't like using the hornet ring either so it's not like a riposte from me is a guaranteed game-ender.

I think my most humiliating defeat so far was from someone using an estoc and killing me almost entirely with R2 of all things. He'd run up to me, I'd throw out a parry based on when people usually hit R1, and...he swipes me. He pauses, and R2s again. And again. So then I try to delay a bit and then comes a single R1. Then R2. And R2. I was completely outplayed but I couldn't even get mad at him for it. He never even went for chained attacks to stunlock me. Just unpredictable swiping and the occasional poke to throw me off balance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you're going to use a shield for blocking in PvP then it needs to have really high stability and you need to have a lot of stamina, or else you'd just be better off rolling. Knightslayer Ring (or, less frequently, Horsehoof Ring) thoroughly crush anyone that relies too much on blocking, and then you get riposted and the fight is over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Knightslayer and Horsehoof ring only add 10% stamina damage, which isn't that much. If you mindlessly hold your shield then they will be broken, but most of the time you can safely block a few attacks even against someone using those rings. Also the black and silver knight shields are stupidly good and can just not give a gently caress about those rings period.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

If you're going to use a shield for blocking in PvP then it needs to have really high stability and you need to have a lot of stamina, or else you'd just be better off rolling. Knightslayer Ring (or, less frequently, Horsehoof Ring) thoroughly crush anyone that relies too much on blocking, and then you get riposted and the fight is over.

if you're going to use a shield for blocking in pvp you need 18 int

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think Horsehoof adds like 30% from kicks.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
none of that matters when you're holding a massive greatshield buffed with great magic shield because you'll be blocking people's kicks and specific shield break weapon arts for 0 damage and 0 stamina damage.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

none of that matters when you're holding a massive greatshield buffed with great magic shield because you'll be blocking people's kicks and specific shield break weapon arts for 0 damage and 0 stamina damage.

And that's why the manikin claws are the best parrying tool - get some garthus rouge on that and melt through greatshields like they're nothing. I don't know if gms blocks bleed, but it hardly matters when your only choices are "keep blocking until guard break" or "roll away and get hit".

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tengames posted:

So a few times I invaded/summoned for co op in the undead settlement when I showed up in the host's world, the whole place is completely colorless and grey. What causes that?

Yeah, I noticed when sunbroing for boreal dancer, other people's worlds have lighter or darker atmospheres, almost like there's some kind of 'world tendancy' thing going on? Like to the point where one person's world looked apocalyptically hosed and another had a lovely bronze sunset going on?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Onto the Consumed King's Garden.

I just kind baited the pus dudes to kill off the Knights cause I can handle the pus way easier then them. That's kinda all there is to that place so far. Looks neat.

The run to the consumed king from the shortcut is okay it just takes a couple of arrows each time.

Oceiros the dragon-man made of goop sure does love to talk. I died the first time due to wondering if the icy mist actually damaged or just caused frostbite. Died a second time in his second form due to his incredibly sharp kneecaps.

I'll get some lighting resin and wrap him up tonight.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I noticed when sunbroing for boreal dancer, other people's worlds have lighter or darker atmospheres, almost like there's some kind of 'world tendancy' thing going on? Like to the point where one person's world looked apocalyptically hosed and another had a lovely bronze sunset going on?

Isn't that just poo poo changing as people progress through the game?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Estus drinking is way quicker now (and instantly refills) than even with 100 Agility in DS2, which still slowly filled the bar.

doesent sprinting and then pressing R2 produce a jump attack too? not sure if its unparriable though since i havent met parry spammers yet.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Iretep posted:

doesent sprinting and then pressing R2 produce a jump attack too? not sure if its unparriable though since i havent met parry spammers yet.
It does and I jump attack this way exclusively, but it's even harder to pull off while you're already trading hits of course. It's the same as the flick switch + R2 jump attack, I'm pretty sure.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

man, aggro-ing Anri and Horace is the most difficult boss-fight in the entire game holy poo poo. It's like a gank-squad but with npcs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheHoosier posted:

So uh Carthus/Smoldering Lake connection to DS2? Shield of Want, Dragonrider Bow, Wolnir's backstory that kinda fits I guess.. I don't think there's much to be had but I figure Old King's Antechamber doesn't necessarily HAVE to be referring to ODK..

Was going through thr area again and just thought it was neat, but ultimately just seems like fan service

I think this is actually the clue that Carthus and Smouldering Lake are part of Yhorm's lands, because he also has a few callbacks to DS2. Namely being a giant Lord and a few things about the children of the abyss being around.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Jaaam posted:

Isn't that just poo poo changing as people progress through the game?

i know it changes to the sunset with the eclipse in the distance around the time you kill 3 of the lords of cinder, but for the undead settlement ive also invaded and seen it just a dull grey with a cloudy sky with no idea what triggers it.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 2, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that ... looks kinda cool. But I've never seen it and I'd guess it's a lighting/shader bug.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah that looks like a bug.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

well that sucks, I was hoping there was a way to actually make it look like that.

edit: two more images.

"working as intended"

Tengames fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 2, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That looks pretty foggy. Does it change depending on how you're summoned, i.e. as a bluecop , red invader, etc?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
It looks cool and v atmospheric I wish my undead settlement looked like that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The best way I love to punish parry spammers is with poo poo like throwing knives or the flamethrower spell.

Also sometimes I purposefully parry a crap ton in the beginning of a fight, usually when the enemy is still a good ways away. Then the get the idea that I'm a parry fiend and try to do a bunch of easily punished leap attacks.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

That looks pretty foggy. Does it change depending on how you're summoned, i.e. as a bluecop , red invader, etc?

Everytime i had it happen i was a bluecop and got summoned while hanging out at farron woods at sl30 so maybe its a loading glitch from being summoned when outside the undead settlement? Ive also been summoned there as bluecop without it looking like that though so i dont know.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Iretep posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/BothWeepyFugu.mp4
You haven't met this fellow yet?

RyokoTK posted:

I think Horsehoof adds like 30% from kicks.

I wasn't even able to kick down a Morne Shield with it by chain-kicking so it sucks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Kicking loving sucks at least the guard break in ds2 was 100% guaranteed shield break.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Well first person DS3 looks loving awesome, gotta be a pain in the rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
+ Since your camera is detached from your character, you have to reorient yourself after dodging to attack (by tapping left stick toward whatever you want to attack), the same for if you actually want to use a shield
+ e: the vertical aiming of your attack is also important, you can see in the webm above I whiffed an attack by aiming too high while the guy was on a decline below me
+ In PVP anyone who circles around you is much more likely to win because you have no peripheral vision and you have to manually steer after them
+ With bosses or large enemies you may clip inside them on attacks, which sort of ruins your immersion
+ Make a secondary family shared account to use it

Those are the only major things imo. It takes a little getting used to, but Gundyr is there for you to train on.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 2, 2016