Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If Corbyn is the leader at the next election I won't vote Tory, but I probably won't vote Labour either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

One of the best endorsements Corbyn could ask for.

e:

Pissflaps posted:

If Corbyn is the leader at the next election I won't vote Tory, but I probably won't vote Labour either.

I was mistaken, this is the best one.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Corbyn is too comfortable around "urban" areas for Pissflaps.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/738320152060526594

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That makes a lot of sense.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Miftan posted:

I was mistaken, this is the best one.

It's not that good though really is it. I doubt i'm the only average family guy that feels this way.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dan Hodges is a massive oval office and making his poor mother cry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like Pissflaps's posting and mostly agree with him (maybe not about urban youth)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I like Pissflaps's posting and mostly agree with him (maybe not about urban youth)

If you want an Urban for a neighbour vote Labour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's funny to think that only 10 years ago both the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition's constituencies were within 20 minute's drive of where I live.

Now it's just a couple of blokes from down south. Disengaging.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you want an Urban for a neighbour vote Labour.

Wasn't there a Hungarian prime minister named Urban or something like that?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's funny to think that only 10 years ago both the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition's constituencies were within 20 minute's drive of where I live.

Now it's just a couple of blokes from down south. Disengaging.

Wasn't Cameron the leader of the opposition 10 years ago?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Wasn't Cameron the leader of the opposition 10 years ago?

Hmm make that 15.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Private Speech posted:

There have been no fewer than eight urban popes

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://election-data.co.uk/focus-groups-of-lab-con-switchers-in-nuneaton

quote:

“You don’t really know what you’re thinking. It might one little thing that sways you….I just didn’t like Ed Miliband.” Female participant

Ed Miliband came up in the women’s group as an important factor in the decision they made in 2015.

“I didn’t like him (Ed Miliband). I just think he comes across as really incompetent.” Female participant

“I couldn’t imagine him as Prime Minister; not in a million years.” Female participant

“[I voted Conservative because] Ed Miliband. Anything he was on, trying to sort of talk his way through, he was just rubbish.” Female participant

When we asked about specific policies from the last election there was silence for the most part. People brought up UKIPs platform on immigration and the EU whilst there were no real firm ideas on either Conservatives or Labour policies.

quote:

Participants were asked to consider what they would like their ideal Labour party leader to look like. The following responses came back:

“Young.” Female participant

“Someone with a family.” Female participant

“Someone who doesn’t have a silver spoon in their mouth.” Female participant

“Someone who’s come from a working class background.” Female participant

“Someone who knows what it’s like to struggle; to work hard.” Female participant

“Someone who people can trust. Someone stoic but willing to accommodate other viewpoints.” Female participant

Somewhat interestingly the female group seemed to be discussing a male leader, and when this was pointed out some remembered their negative feelings towards Mrs Thatcher as being a reason why they weren’t considering a female leader of the party.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Private Speech posted:

A bunch of popes.

There's also Urban/Orban, supergun-caster for the Ottoman Empire:

Wikipedia posted:

In 1452 he originally offered his services to the Byzantines, but emperor Constantine XI could not afford his high salary nor did he possess the materials necessary for constructing such a large siege cannon. Orban then left Constantinople and approached the Ottoman sultan Mehmed II, who was preparing to besiege the city. Claiming that his weapon could blast 'the walls of Babylon itself', Orban was given abundant funds and materials by the sultan. Orban managed to build the giant size gun within three months at Adrianople, from which it was dragged by sixty oxen to Constantinople. In the meantime, Orban also produced other smaller cannons used by the Turkish siege forces.[10]

The bombard technology, which mainly German technicians[11] designed at first for the Hungarian Army, had been established between 1400 and 1450 all over western Europe, transforming siege warfare,[12][13] with some pieces like the Faule Mette, Dulle Griet, Mons Meg and the Pumhart von Steyr which are still extant from the period. Orban, along with an entire crew, was probably killed during the siege when one of his superguns exploded, then not an unusual occurrence.[14]

Though you're probably thinking of Viktor Orbán.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 2, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Why stop there?

quote:

“He looks scruffy. He never seems like he’s presentable. He looks very drawn, and like he needs a good dinner. I know he’s argumentative.” Female participant

“I know you’re hounded by the press and stuff when you walk out of somewhere, but he’s got no like grace about him, just head down quite standoff-ish.” Female participant

“If he was going to be the leader [at the next election] I wouldn’t use my vote. I’d want Labour in but with a new leader so I’d just leave my vote.” Female participant

“You want a charismatic leader and to me he’s more like Worzel Gummidge.” Female participant

“I just don’t see how he could ever persuade me. He could give me free child care and I still couldn’t vote for him” Female participant

“He’s quite anti-royal. He’s like an old schoolteacher type; you expect patches on his elbows. Male participant

“He’s scruffy. Imagine him in the White House. Like someone who got lost on the tour or something.” Male participant

“His leadership skills are questionable. He just doesn’t stand out. I think he did a lot of damage when he didn’t sing the national anthem.” Male participant

No prizes for guessing who they're talking about.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

No prizes for guessing who they're talking about.

drat, why not

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
News at 11: the British electorate is dumb and has the attention span of a goldfish.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I would rather lose every general election from now until the end of time than win by backing the right cutout in an argument over who hates immigrants more and who can sing the national anthem the loudest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

blowfish posted:

News at 11: the British electorate is dumb and has the attention span of a goldfish.

I want my PM to be working class and to know what it is to work hard, but I also want him to hate everyone with a foreign-sounding name and woe betide if he's ever caught in a candid photo awkwardly eating a sandwich or not wearing a three-piece suit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I would rather lose every general election from now until the end of time than win by backing the right cutout in an argument over who hates immigrants more and who can sing the national anthem the loudest.

And I'm sure you'd revel in getting to feel self-righteous about it while the twats get on with actually governing the country.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Weren't the images in this case found to be indecent but not child abuse images though? Or are categories only for CAI and not indecency?

There's three categories of indecent images that have different recommended sentencing brackets. A is full penetrative sex, B "other sexual activity" and then C is any image found to be indecent that does not fall into A or B - so "erotic posing" and the like.

So you'd still be convicted of possessing indecent images of children if they fall under category A or C, the guidelines for sentencing vary substantially though depending on the categorisation of each image.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

blowfish posted:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hi thread, I've got a bit of a difficult situation that some of you may be able to advise me about.

The police turned up on my mates doorstep last night, saying that he has been accused by sainsburys of shoplifting from one of their stores about a month ago. Apparently there's cctv footage, and they tracked him down by his car registration plate. Theres also someone else with him in the footage - me, as yet unidentified.

They have refused to say what was stolen, or give any other details of circumstances. They simply left a card with him, and said that if either of us felt like coming clean, then to call the number. Before they left they also sniffed the air suspiciously, demanded to smell his clothes, and accused him of smoking weed, which he denied.

Now, first things first : neither of us are shoplifters. If anything was taken without payment, which it wasn't, it definitely would have been by accident.

Neither of us want this hanging over our heads, so what do we do? My friend wants us to go to the store in question and speak to them about it, but that seems like a bad idea for all sorts of reasons.

Failing that, we could contact the police and ask them for more info, for the footage etc. Or we could just leave it and hope that we never hear about it again.

What does the thread advise?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think you should confront the people accusing you of committing a criminal offence.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

blowfish posted:

Pfft, that was nearly four hours ago

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

peanut- posted:

And I'm sure you'd revel in getting to feel self-righteous about it while the twats get on with actually governing the country.

in his hypothetical his choice is clearly picking a twat or losing tho

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

peanut- posted:

You don't need to be in power to influence policy, and for someone so apparently unpopular, Corbyn's done a pretty good job of being a voice of dissent. I'd rather have someone like him as Leader of the Opposition than someone who cheerleads Tory policy in the hope of getting power. Do you think the tax credit cuts would have been opposed with a Blairite in charge?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

You sort of need to provide more info. If you think it definitely wasn't you go and speak to them they could have made a mistake on the cctv. Could you have been baked and forgotten to pay (do you actually go to the shop often)?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Do you think the tax credit cuts would have been opposed with a Blairite in charge?

When do you think Tax Credits were created?

Corbyn's done a pretty good job of being a voice of dissent.

He's doing a shite job.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Perfect Element posted:

Hi thread, I've got a bit of a difficult situation that some of you may be able to advise me about.

The police turned up on my mates doorstep last night, saying that he has been accused by sainsburys of shoplifting from one of their stores about a month ago. Apparently there's cctv footage, and they tracked him down by his car registration plate. Theres also someone else with him in the footage - me, as yet unidentified.

They have refused to say what was stolen, or give any other details of circumstances. They simply left a card with him, and said that if either of us felt like coming clean, then to call the number. Before they left they also sniffed the air suspiciously, demanded to smell his clothes, and accused him of smoking weed, which he denied.

Now, first things first : neither of us are shoplifters. If anything was taken without payment, which it wasn't, it definitely would have been by accident.

Neither of us want this hanging over our heads, so what do we do? My friend wants us to go to the store in question and speak to them about it, but that seems like a bad idea for all sorts of reasons.

Failing that, we could contact the police and ask them for more info, for the footage etc. Or we could just leave it and hope that we never hear about it again.

Lawyer the gently caress up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Go back to Sainsbury's and steal all you want, they can't accuse you again because of double jeopardies! (Is there a :pseudo: in a wooly wig smily?)

In seriousness, I would not talk to them or the store to 'clear things up' without speaking to a solicitor first, or ideally through one. There's nothing good that could come of that. And they clearly don't have enough evidence to make an arrest so it's probably not worth it yet.

Is there any chance that the registration plate footage could be accurate? Were you there around the time?

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Shouldn't you be evaluating the merits of the candidates for your local MP, given the way our parliamentary system works? Unless you live in Islington, but I'm not sure that you do.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

What the poo poo is this? If the police haven't arrested him then they clearly have gently caress all evidence and are just throwing poo poo at the wall.

Correct action to take: nothing

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This sounds like a situation you could just ignore: if the police had enough evidence to arrest/convict you/your mate, why wouldn't they have done it already? Although speaking to a lawyer does sound like the sensible option, but not sure how expensive that might be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

He’s quite anti-royal. He’s like an old schoolteacher type; you expect patches on his elbows.

Wait, does he not have elbow patches then? I could have sworn...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If police trouble, talk to lawyer.

That's the blanket advice because it is good advice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Igiari posted:

Shouldn't you be evaluating the merits of the candidates for your local MP, given the way our parliamentary system works? Unless you live in Islington, but I'm not sure that you do.

An utterly bovine comment.

Another thing: I think you should consider the possibility that your friend did steal something without you being aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

An utterly bovine comment.

A moo point?

• Locked thread