Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Three-Phase posted:

Those dang scooby-doo divers.

I miss that thread so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Those dang scooby-doo divers.

I miss that thread so much.

What happened, did the mods close it because it was entertaining and one of them didnt create it?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Yeah. Here it is, closed of course.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Such beautiful lunacy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the best part is that the guy that made all that poo poo has a million edits on wikipedia and you'll occasionally come across his lovely cgi stuff in articles.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Aside from being insane, what is SCUBA guy's angry button exactly? He doesn't approve of the gear other divers are using and so fantasizes about killing them for it? He thinks they're too inexperienced for a certain area and again fantasizes about arresting or killing them? I can't seem to figure out exactly what his main beef is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HairyManling posted:

Aside from being insane, what is SCUBA guy's angry button exactly? He doesn't approve of the gear other divers are using and so fantasizes about killing them for it? He thinks they're too inexperienced for a certain area and again fantasizes about arresting or killing them? I can't seem to figure out exactly what his main beef is.

He says that it's supposed to be a satirical look at what could happen if you let government regulation of hobbies get way out of control, but it definitely looks like it became fetishistic at some point

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

SEA PATROL is the best thing I've ever seen on the internet

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
SEA PATROL is good and right to deal with the recreational diving menace.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pharmaskittle posted:

SEA PATROL is the best thing I've ever seen on the internet

Not an empty quote

E:

quote:

Wow, all those controls and this is quite literally the game in its entirety. To truly appreciate the majesty of this title you really need to see it in motion.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 2, 2016

canis minor
May 4, 2011

John Denver Hoxha posted:

My nuclear waste disposal plan is foolproof and relies on simple human nature...
Mix it up with a little soil and then stick a big sign saying
"Free backfill*

*use at own risk
"
There you go, itll be off your hands before you can say "free" and you just covered your own rear end too ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal

quote:

In the late 1970s, Love Canal received national attention for the ensuing problematic health development originated from disposal of 22,000 barrels of toxic waste. Numerous families were displaced from their houses, having been contaminated with chemicals and toxic waste. Many of the families suffered several health issues with common problems of high red blood cell counts and indications of leukemia. The entire neighborhood has since been demolished and an Superfund cleanup took years before wrapping up in 2004.

quote:

Hooker Chemical deeded the site to the Niagara Falls School Board in 1953 for $1 with a liability limitation clause. In the "sales" agreement signed on April 28, 1953, Hooker Chemical included a seventeen-line caveat that they believed released them from all legal obligations should lawsuits arise in the future

quote:

Despite the disclaimer, the School Board began construction of the "99th Street School" in its originally intended location. In January 1954, the architect of the school wrote to the education committee informing them that during excavation, workers discovered two dump sites filled with 55-US-gallon (210 l; 46 imp gal) drums containing chemical wastes. The architect also noted that it would be "poor policy" to build in that area since it was not known what wastes were present in the ground, and the concrete foundation might be subsequently damaged.[14] The school board then moved the school site eighty to eighty-five feet further north.[2] The kindergarten playground also had to be relocated because it was directly on top of a chemical dump. Upon completion in 1955, 400 children attended the school, and it opened along with several other schools that had been built to accommodate students. That same year, a twenty-five foot area crumbled exposing toxic chemical drums, which then filled with water during rainstorms. This created large puddles that children enjoyed playing in.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I live around here and I'm really pissed that Occidental (Hooker) got hosed with this one.. Yes it was a toxic waste dump but it was from an era of gently caress-it lets toss it in the garbage. Then when Niagara falls wanted to buy it they were all gently caress NO.. NO NO NO NOPE NOPE NOPE NO you don't want this. But they still pressured and Occidental still said. NO you don't want it go find other land, yet still the government pressured them, so they sold it and put "Pleae dont' build on this poo poo" in the sales agreement.. Yet still it was THEIR fault that toxic waste was bobing in peoples basements.

Also prevalent in my area: Some waste from the Manhattan project that's buried underground in a cask, no one wants to disburb since there are residential homes across the street, so they just leave it there and monitor the ground.

They also recently found some fill from love canal that was sitting somenwere, and they were transporting the dirt for scrubbing to a plant that's near where I use to live. (I started taking an alternative route when the hazardous waste dirt containers were sitting on containment mats)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 2, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Every once in awhile someone finds an old unmarked dump in the country somewhere. Last time it happened they pulled out 30 or 40 old car batteries and lead paint cans among other things. No one really cared what was thrown in the ground in the 40's and 50's, just as long as it was far away from where they were.

Heres a handy map to show you known superfund and lesser sites.

http://toxmap-classic.nlm.nih.gov/toxmap/combo/navigate.do

It hasn't been updated in almost 2 years though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

right in the 40's and 50's it was just some empty field and no one was ever going to use it.. now it's a strip mall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

After Fukushima, regular folk started buying Geiger counters and they found all kinds of random hot spots. Sometimes it was a rain puddle, sometimes it was radioactive garbage from a more naive era just chilling under a house for 50+ years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tater_salad posted:

right in the 40's and 50's it was just some empty field and no one was ever going to use it.. now it's a strip mall.

About 6 or 7 years ago some developers cleared a whole bunch of factories and built a massive amount of apartment buildings in my town. Then someone realised the ground was toxic as gently caress so they had to demolish and remove all the buildings and they then excavated the entire site (which was roughly an acre) and removed about 4 or 5m of dirt, treated everything that was left for several years and then refilled the site and built a whole bunch more apartment buildings. God knows where they took 5m x 1acre worth of toxic dirt.

Immediately next to the site is a children's playground and the carpark to the supermarket where I've been shopping almost every day for the last 15 years. :waycool:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

About 6 or 7 years ago some developers cleared a whole bunch of factories and built a massive amount of apartment buildings in my town. Then someone realised the ground was toxic as gently caress so they had to demolish and remove all the buildings and they then excavated the entire site (which was roughly an acre) and removed about 4 or 5m of dirt, treated everything that was left for several years and then refilled the site and built a whole bunch more apartment buildings. God knows where they took 5m x 1acre worth of toxic dirt.

Immediately next to the site is a children's playground and the carpark to the supermarket where I've been shopping almost every day for the last 15 years. :waycool:

This just reminded me of decontamination efforts in Switzerland, in Kölliken. They apparently used to just dump toxic waste up until the mid-1980s, and they have now errected a giant structure above the old landfill while they unearth, sort and (more?) properly dispose the things in there. I'm having trouble finding a decent English source, but here is a video (in German) that doesn't need the sound, just showing the initial construction of the containment building they had to errect before they could start digging up the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoLwUFakxJ8

Google also brought up these (rather few) slides, which at least have a diagram: https://clu-in.org/athens/download/Unique_Settings/Switzerland-Bernhard_Hammer.pdf

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
more :toxx: chat

These are always fun:

http://radiationnetwork.com/
http://www.gmcmap.com/

My boss had a counter in his office as part of http://radmon.org/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pssh. The cool places aren't even monitored, like Ramsar in Iran. Lots of radium ores, lots of hot springs, radium dissolves into the hot water and then precipitates out in the springs, whole area has the highest natural background count on earth. And no elevated cancer rate, which is a (a) neat and (b) kind of fatal to the LNT exposure model.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11769138

quote:

People in some areas of Ramsar, a city in northern Iran, receive an annual radiation absorbed dose from background radiation that is up to 260 mSv y(-1), substantially higher than the 20 mSv y(-1) that is permitted for radiation workers. Inhabitants of Ramsar have lived for many generations in these high background areas. Cytogenetic studies show no significant differences between people in the high background compared to people in normal background areas. An in vitro challenge dose of 1.5 Gy of gamma rays was administered to the lymphocytes, which showed significantly reduced frequency for chromosome aberrations of people living in high background compared to those in normal background areas in and near Ramsar. Specifically, inhabitants of high background radiation areas had about 56% the average number of induced chromosomal abnormalities of normal background radiation area inhabitants following this exposure. This suggests that adaptive response might be induced by chronic exposure to natural background radiation as opposed to acute exposure to higher (tens of mGy) levels of radiation in the laboratory. There were no differences in laboratory tests of the immune systems, and no noted differences in hematological alterations between these two groups of people.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

God knows where they took 5m x 1acre worth of toxic dirt.

Depending on what was in the dirt, it may have gone to local landfills to use as cover material.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It appears that the combination of Love and Hooker always leads to something toxic in the end.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzerzhinsk,_Russia

quote:

According to the September 12, 2007, study by the Blacksmith Institute (United States), Dzerzhinsk is one of the worst-polluted cities of the world and has a life expectancy of 42 years for men and 47 for women, with the 2003 death rate exceeding its birth rate by 260%.[10] Environmental action groups such as Greenpeace attribute such low life expectancy to high levels of persistent organic chemicals, particularly dioxins. The Blacksmith Institute also names sarin, lewisite, sulfur mustard, hydrogen cyanide, phosgene, lead, and organic chemicals among the worst pollutants.[10] Parts of Dzerzhinsk's water are contaminated with dioxins and phenol at levels that are reportedly seventeen million times the safe limit.[10]

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Visit beautiful Dzerzhinsk! Come stroll along the beach of the picturesque White Sea!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqiSqXvrQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1VXHckZW8

The 'White Sea' is a chemical waste dump that covers 92 hectares.

Note all the lakes and rivers riiiiiiiight next to it.

Edit: it's seeping into the Volga river :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 2, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Visit beautiful Dzerzhinsk! Come stroll along the beach of the picturesque White Sea!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqiSqXvrQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1VXHckZW8

The 'White Sea' is a chemical waste dump that covers 92 hectares.

Note all the lakes and rivers riiiiiiiight next to it.

Edit: it's seeping into the Volga river :psyduck:

Obligatory, "Get out of here S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!" :stare:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Of course the Soviets weren't reckless enough to just dump all their dangerous waste in their cities. They dumped a fair amount of the really dangerous poo poo in foreign countries like Kyrgyzstan instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2QWiBiaqCQ

Here's thousands and thousands of tons of missiles just left in piles in Georgia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMEs2DQdlZM

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone you know in the US seriously bitches about the EPA and proper environmental management, holy poo poo. At least we aren't those guys.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Or arctic sea - http://bellona.org/news/nuclear-iss...-in-arctic-seas

quote:

The catalogue of waste dumped at sea by the Soviets, according to documents seen by Bellona, and which were today released by the Norwegian daily Aftenposten, includes some 17,000 containers of radioactive waste, 19 ships containing radioactive waste, 14 nuclear reactors, including five that still contain spent nuclear fuel; 735 other pieces of radiactively contaminated heavy machinery, and the K-27 nuclear submarine with its two reactors loaded with nuclear fuel.

Or Ural - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayak / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techa_River

quote:

In the next 10 to 11 hours, the radioactive cloud moved towards the north-east, reaching 300–350 kilometers from the accident. The fallout of the cloud resulted in a long-term contamination of an area of more than 800 to 20,000 square kilometers (depending on what contamination level is considered significant), primarily with caesium-137 and strontium-90.[3] This area is usually referred to as the East-Ural Radioactive Trace (EURT).[6]

quote:

As many as forty villages, with a combined population of about 28,000 residents, lined the river at the time.[4] For 24 of them, the Techa was a major source of water; 23 of them were eventually evacuated.[5] In the past 45 years, about half a million people in the region have been irradiated in one or more of the incidents,[4][6] exposing them to as much as 20 times the radiation suffered by the Chernobyl disaster victims.[2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCmcvyctVrU

edit: apologies for the derail, i'll go away now for a while

canis minor fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 2, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grognan posted:

If anyone you know in the US seriously bitches about the EPA and proper environmental management, holy poo poo. At least we aren't those guys.

:lol:

Look into the Hanford site, the Oak Ridge facilities, the Santa Susana Field Lab, Pantex, and basically anywhere where the government researches or manufactures poo poo that's both toxic and secret. Of SSFL's ten research reactors, six suffered meltdowns, one had the sodium coolant catch fire, none had containment structures. Dudes were tasked with disposing of radioactive and toxic waste by burning it in open pits. Ignition! has a bit where rocket researchers were seriously proposing to use dimethylmercury as a rocket propellant, reconsidered, decided to run their test with pure elemental mercury instead, and only at the last minute decided to do this in the desert instead of in New Jersey, since out in the desert they wouldn't have to use a complicated set of piping in order to capture the mercury-laden exhaust and could just let it spray all over the place instead. And then there's Operation CHASE, which disposed of chemical munitions by loading them into ships and then scuttling the ships at sea.

Yeah, we're still not those guys, but that's hardly a high bar to clear. I'm prettier than Brian Peppers, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

tater_salad posted:

I live around here and I'm really pissed that Occidental (Hooker) got hosed with this one.. Yes it was a toxic waste dump but it was from an era of gently caress-it lets toss it in the garbage. Then when Niagara falls wanted to buy it they were all gently caress NO.. NO NO NO NOPE NOPE NOPE NO you don't want this. But they still pressured and Occidental still said. NO you don't want it go find other land, yet still the government pressured them, so they sold it and put "Pleae dont' build on this poo poo" in the sales agreement.. Yet still it was THEIR fault that toxic waste was bobing in peoples basements.

Also prevalent in my area: Some waste from the Manhattan project that's buried underground in a cask, no one wants to disburb since there are residential homes across the street, so they just leave it there and monitor the ground.

They also recently found some fill from love canal that was sitting somenwere, and they were transporting the dirt for scrubbing to a plant that's near where I use to live. (I started taking an alternative route when the hazardous waste dirt containers were sitting on containment mats)

On the other hand, gently caress em

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

On the other hand, gently caress em

Nah. They disposed of that stuff, with permission from the city, in accord with the laws of the time. The disposal site was lined and capped. They really didn't want the city to build there, and only agreed to the sale after the city threatened to condemn the land and take it from them anyway. Then the folks the city hired to build there decided to do things like puncture the lining to run horizontal pipes, and excavate the clay cap to use as fill dirt, letting water in and out. Hooker's only fault in this was in expecting their disclaimer of liability to hold up in court.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Nah. They disposed of that stuff, with permission from the city, in accord with the laws of the time. The disposal site was lined and capped. They really didn't want the city to build there, and only agreed to the sale after the city threatened to condemn the land and take it from them anyway. Then the folks the city hired to build there decided to do things like puncture the lining to run horizontal pipes, and excavate the clay cap to use as fill dirt, letting water in and out. Hooker's only fault in this was in expecting their disclaimer of liability to hold up in court.

Yeah the city bought a known toxic dump that was okay they they started building poo poo on top of it. I think they re punctured the cap again later in life when they were building a highway, and were dangerously close to dumping stuff in the Niagara river

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss had a counter in his office as part of http://radmon.org/

wanna set one of these up and leave it next to my cobalt-60 source

edit: :evilbuddy:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Phanatic posted:

Pssh. The cool places aren't even monitored, like Ramsar in Iran. Lots of radium ores, lots of hot springs, radium dissolves into the hot water and then precipitates out in the springs, whole area has the highest natural background count on earth. And no elevated cancer rate, which is a (a) neat and (b) kind of fatal to the LNT exposure model.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11769138

Growing up immune to radiation sounds loving badass.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BattleMaster posted:

wanna set one of these up and leave it next to my cobalt-60 source

edit: :evilbuddy:

Why the gently caress do you have a cobalt 60 source? And what do you do with it after it decays? Doesn't it have a halflife of like 5~6 years?

anywho, have an osha.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This is a joke, right? There can't seriously be a place called Love Canal, never mind it being contaminated by Hooker Chemicals.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I have no idea what the gently caress is going on there. Looks to me like a piece of wood clamped to a drill with an immobile separator plate inbetween, while the drill is clamped to a wooden beam?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mithaldu posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on there. Looks to me like a piece of wood clamped to a drill with an immobile separator plate inbetween, while the drill is clamped to a wooden beam?

Poor man’s router table.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Speaking of Occidental...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha

quote:

The fire would have burnt out were it not being fed with oil from both Tartan and the Claymore platforms, the resulting back pressure forcing fresh fuel out of ruptured pipework on Piper, directly into the heart of the fire. The Claymore platform continued pumping oil until the second explosion because the manager had no permission from the Occidental control centre to shut down. Also, the connecting gas pipeline to Tartan continued to pump, as its manager had been directed by his superior. The reason for this procedure was the huge cost of such a shut down. It would have taken several days to restart production after a stop, with substantial financial consequences.

Gas pipelines of both 16″ and 18″ diameter ran to Piper Alpha. Two years earlier Occidental management ordered a study, the results of which warned of the dangers of these gas lines. Because of their length and diameter, it would have taken several hours to reduce their pressure, so that it would not have been possible to fight a fire fuelled by them. Although the management admitted how devastating a gas explosion would be, Claymore and Tartan were not switched off with the first emergency call.

"Fire raging on one of our platforms? gently caress it keep pumping fuel into it, shutting down would be expensive."

167 people were killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
Blue Angels pilot crashed in his plane. Reset the accident counter.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/06/02/navy-blue-angel-jet-crashes-tennessee/85310876/