Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is there anyone making videos rather than streams? I'd watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Does anyone have a link to Arumbas vid? is it on twitch? I can't find it on youtube and I'd like to see someone fail to take Danzig as Germany.

https://www.twitch.tv/arumba07

It's pretty clear he is jumping into this totally blind and didn't even play the tutorial, and is now bitching that people say he's doing poorly

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

You can tell Arumba hasn't watched a minute of video that the developers have shown. He doesn't even organize his armies by theater. He also said he wasn't going to worry about Air this game.

I'm sure completely surrendering air to your opponents will end well.

EDIT: :stare: hahahaha, that Russia v USSR front that Quill can see now that his volunteers have joined with the Russian forces is hilarious. Poor Russia is going to be crushed so bad.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What the hell happened in Quill's stream to spawn Russia?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wooper posted:

Is there anyone making videos rather than streams? I'd watch that.

Apparently there was to be an offical stream at some point before the weekend (unless I misread the announcement). Once its done it should be up on Paradox's Twitch channel.

From the posts here I'm glad I haven't bothered watching any of them. Given how old HOI3 is at this point it wouldn't suprise me if nonw of the 'celebrity' streamers had even heard of it and the HOI series is a very different beast than EU and CK.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fuligin posted:

He's playing with Historical turned off, and there was an event that somehow triggered with an officer's rebellion in the USSR. I highly doubt anything will come of it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fuligin posted:

Pretty sure a revolt happened and the rebels managed to get all that territory, although it looks like the USSR is going to crush Russia.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

He's playing with Historical turned off, and there was an event that somehow triggered with an officer's rebellion in the USSR. I highly doubt anything will come of it.

That is pretty cool

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fuligin posted:

If the Soviet Union doesn't go all the way with the purges (or doesn't do them at all) Trotskyite rebels start a civil war, I think.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Goetta posted:

That is pretty cool

Yep. Other cool things: France decided to go down the Little Entente route and allied Czechoslovakia. When the Treaty of Munich event fired, the UK decided for appeasement, but France said "no gently caress you", and so Germany went to war with France and Czechoslovakia.

It's now snowballed into a proper WW2 though after Germany declared war on Luxembourg.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

oscarthewilde posted:

People might have missed him yesterday but the great Yaniel just uploaded his stream where, apparently, he's tried to restore the glory of the Ottoman empire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_U0ICQnKo0

Midway through the bloody, hard-fought invasion of Iran: "Daniel, you have 23 divisions on the other side of the nation."

Also, AI Poland declaring war on Estonia in early '39 to cement their control of the Baltic bloc.

Game looks good! I do share the worry of whoever noted that doctrines seem to be finished up by the end of '40 or so, though.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Apparently there was to be an offical stream at some point before the weekend (unless I misread the announcement). Once its done it should be up on Paradox's Twitch channel.

From the posts here I'm glad I haven't bothered watching any of them. Given how old HOI3 is at this point it wouldn't suprise me if nonw of the 'celebrity' streamers had even heard of it and the HOI series is a very different beast than EU and CK.

So far I have enjoyed Quill's videos since he clearly tries to understand as much as possible, without melting down about being wrong on stuff since he's, you know, learning a new game. Didn't check the stream, just his YouTube play of the Italian campaign.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to play every game with historical off

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Goetta posted:

I think I'm going to play every game with historical off

Historical off is the only real way to play!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

PleasingFungus posted:

Game looks good! I do share the worry of whoever noted that doctrines seem to be finished up by the end of '40 or so, though.

I'm wondering though: is that really a problem? All it seems to me is that once WWII is in full swing, you should have locked yourself down a doctrine and then organize your world conquest/liberation according to your strengths.

Isn't there plenty more research to do until 1945 if vertical gameplay is what people are looking for?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is cool that Quill's volunteer force didn't attack even with local superiority because they would eventually get surrounded (which they did after he forced it). Or at least it is cool if the AI figured that out on its own instead of just the game being buggy.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Drone posted:

From one of the other streams it seems to happen if you do the great purge but don't follow through on it. During the purge you get series of events where you have to select one of two groups to purge which remove a bunch of your leaders and advisors and give you a stacking penalty to your army and reserch. There's also a third option to not purge anyone which has the tool tip "this will lead to civil war in the future."

I believe the size of war depends on how many times you didn't purge, because in the stream I watched Stalin was only merciful once and Russia took about 5% of his troops with them when they rebelled. Needless to say the war did not last long.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm wondering though: is that really a problem? All it seems to me is that once WWII is in full swing, you should have locked yourself down a doctrine and then organize your world conquest/liberation according to your strengths.

Isn't there plenty more research to do until 1945 if vertical gameplay is what people are looking for?

But army doctrines for literally every major power changed hugely from 40 to 45. How can you have modern blitzkrieg in 1940? The blitzkrieg was in 1940. Look at what happened when the allies tried to blitz in France in 1944, the doctrines that worked great in 1940 for the Germans where a disaster against 1944 equipment, in particular the proliferation of AT assets. Its stupid to be able to research all those heavy tanks and super guns and whatever else you can, but not be able to research the doctrines to use them effectively.

To take another example: why would Germany in 1940 take the volkskreig techs? There is no reason at all for them to take that over a modern blitzkrieg attack bonuses, if those techs where in 1944ish then it might be an meaningful choice to take the defensive bonuses in the hopes of holding out just another 6 months.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well, I'm really concerned about the state of the AI, given that Arumba just conquered France with just rightclicking Paris and spamming infantry after he tried to attack through the Maginot Line.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Drone posted:

Yep. Other cool things: France decided to go down the Little Entente route and allied Czechoslovakia. When the Treaty of Munich event fired, the UK decided for appeasement, but France said "no gently caress you", and so Germany went to war with France and Czechoslovakia.

It's now snowballed into a proper WW2 though after Germany declared war on Luxembourg.

"Look, we were OK with you terror-bombing Prague and Paris, but marching into the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is JUST THE FINAL STRAW, SIR."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I'm really concerned about the state of the AI, given that Arumba just conquered France with just rightclicking Paris and spamming infantry after he tried to attack through the Maginot Line.
Didn't he take a massive manpower hit for doing it like that though?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

GaussianCopula posted:

What level is he playing on? How many troops did he have? Allies? Dissent? There's a lot of variables

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sarmhan posted:

He lost 500k manpower fighting romania and was super smug about it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had only watched one or two dev diaries so I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the game yet, but the streams have made me pretty optimistic. It clearly isn't a full on grognard game like HoI2 even was, but more like HoI3 without the need to fight the AI and interface the entire time. I think there is a lot of room out there delegation style wargame like this where you are the overseer of the war and draw out broad plans instead of moving dudes manually to each hex. I'm sure you could probably do the latter but the game isn't really designed around.

Also Quill ignoring Singapore is triggering me.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

He lost 500k manpower fighting romania and was super smug about it.

:eyepop:

The flower of German youth dead in the killing fields of....Romania????

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

sarmhan posted:

Yeah I noticed that later too.

Astroclassicist posted:

:eyepop:

The flower of German youth dead in the killing fields of....Romania????

Well, his strategic genius was to blob everything with ~80 divisions of infantry, because "Infantry is dirt cheap". At the end of the stream he had 500k manpower left and started to built paratroopers to invade the UK, because that's going to work really well (he did invest next to nothing in air or naval power the whole game)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
is there an attrition mechanic for stacking too many units in one place?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah I noticed that later too.

Well, his strategic genius was to blob everything with ~80 divisions of infantry, because "Infantry is dirt cheap". At the end of the stream he had 500k manpower left and started to built paratroopers to invade the UK, because that's going to work really well (he did invest next to nothing in air or naval power the whole game)

:psyduck:

His stream isn't live, did he stop naturally or ragequit because of his own failings to understand how games work?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Drone posted:

His stream isn't live, did he stop naturally or ragequit because of his own failings to understand how games work?

Im trying super hard not to be an Internet bully on noted comedy forums Something Awful, but that guy makes it so loving hard.

Every streamers should just be chill as hell and not take a single thing seriously. If only it was that easy.

----

Anyway - as a casual that got lost in HOI2 and 3 (yes I bought both in the hope of finally beating my nemesis, the interface), the lets plays coming out make me hopeful I'll finally be able to order my little mens around toward glorious victory.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

This looks so much more together than sterllaris.
It's almost like Paradox gave the game an extra year of development or something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

for some reason bridgers paratroopers decided to retreat from warsaw to the Sakhalin

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ofaloaf posted:

It's almost like Paradox gave the game an extra year of development or something.

I wonder, sometimes, what the game would have been if it came out a year ago. What kind of bugs, what systems where different. I've seen a few companies have the conscience to evaluate their game, humble themselves saying "this might be poo poo", do a post mortem and start not from scratch, but close to. FFXIV comes to mind (although a bit of a different beast) as having been able to go from Giant turd to above average MMO that's currently, I think, second to WoW?

I don't know who's currently designing the paradox games, or what changed in their philosophy from EU3 to the current generation of games that they have, but I'm glad they found their golden goose. I'm saying that as a super cynical jaded gamer.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

StarMinstrel posted:

I've seen a few companies have the conscience to evaluate their game, humble themselves saying "this might be poo poo", do a post mortem and start not from scratch, but close to. FFXIV comes to mind (although a bit of a different beast) as having been able to go from Giant turd to above average MMO that's currently, I think, second to WoW?

Might happen more than you think, but generally with big companies that already have a lot of money coming in.

The recent Doom game (Bethesda) was apparently completely re-worked well into development because the designers didn't think it fit the spirit of the original game. Overwatch (Blizzard) was built from the ashes of an MMO that was in development for years before the devs decided it just wasn't any fun.

I don't know if Paradox can afford to be quite that that honest with their self evaluations yet, but they now have quite a few revenue sources in place so you'd think they're getting there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm hoping a streamer plays MIGHTY BULGARIA and ends up taking over the USSR. That's my measure of quality in HOI4.

edit-- playing Bulgaria and taking over the USSR was my favorite thing I've ever done in HOI3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Drone posted:

Didn't some one mention a streamer set their stream to private or invite only because people kept calling him a dumbass and pointing out all his mistakes? Maybe it was him.

At least we know now that blobbing underequiped and under trained infantry divisions isn't as OP as the Paradox streams made it look.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Didn't some one mention a streamer set their stream to private or invite only because people kept calling him a dumbass and pointing out all his mistakes? Maybe it was him.

At least we know now that blobbing underequiped and under trained infantry divisions isn't as OP as the Paradox streams made it look.

I don't think it was as OP even as Daniel made it look. Daniel's Germany was down to less manpower than Johan's Britain, I think. Daniel just got really lucky that he was able to kick in the USSR's teeth during their civil war or purges or whatever.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

dublish posted:

I don't think it was as OP even as Daniel made it look. Daniel's Germany was down to less manpower than Johan's Britain, I think. Daniel just got really lucky that he was able to kick in the USSR's teeth during their civil war or purges or whatever.

That's probably going to be one of the bigger balance challenges - Once either the USSR or USA have ahistorical internal conflicts Germany becomes incredibly strong.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I hope that one of the DLC is going to be scenarios like in HOI2. Those were a fun way to experiment and play a quick game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dublish posted:

Well, if it wasn't OP then, it certainly isn't now. They basically halved manpower since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad I preordered this game.