Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The Sky Q/A is incredibly depressing because people are so stupid.

Edit: March 16 1912 - Lawrence Oates, dying member of Scott's South Pole expedition, leaves the tent saying, "I am just going outside and may be some time."

Much like the idiot UK population are going to do on June 23rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I think the take home message is that many people are unsure about Corbyn's stance on this subject. Possibly because he's been largely irrelevant throughout the referendum campaign.

I'm not sure Jeremy Corbyn could be more entertaining to the news than the tories having a slap fight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jose posted:

Everyone itt needs to get on the bone marrow donor registry unless you're on it for ineligible

just so its not lost at the end of the last page

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Jose posted:

Everyone itt needs to get on the bone marrow donor registry unless you're on it for ineligible

The Anthony Nolan Trust are now only accepting new people aged 16-30 onto their register, so don't delay. The NHS Stem cell registry will take new men aged 17 - 40, and a subset of women in the same age range ( Black, Asian, minority ethnicities and mixed ethnicity backgrounds).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you go off the register once you go over the age limit?

Also is that not included when you apply for your driving license and say "please break me down for spare parts in the event of my unexpected death"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The NHS Stem cell registry will take new men aged 17 - 40, and a subset of women in the same age range ( Black, Asian, minority ethnicities and mixed ethnicity backgrounds).
Have UKIP released an opinion on this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

Also is that not included when you apply for your driving license and say "please break me down for spare parts in the event of my unexpected death"?

you have to answer a huge number of questions whihc might disqualify you and then provide a saliva sample in the post. no chance it goes off your driving license

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/738454223298367488

e: ugh since that tweet looks poo poo on this:

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 2, 2016

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

No, the Anthony Nolan Trust currently keeps you on the register until you are 60.

I used to be on their register, then was taken off after receiving a blood product, but looking at their site now it looks like I would be eligible again were I not an old fossil. Huh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

J_RBG posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/738454223298367488

e: ugh since that tweet looks poo poo on this:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Goons. Tonight is QUESTION TIME. This week from Cardiff.

quote:

The panellists are Conservative environment secretary Elizabeth Truss MP, Labour's Frank Field MP, Ukip's leader in the Welsh Assembly Neil Hamilton AM, Plaid Cymru's Liz Saville-Roberts MP and author and Guardian columnist Owen Jones.

Join us in #ukgoons on synirc for commentary and silly waffle. :beerpal:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I seriously don't get why anyone wouldn't want all their poo poo taken for spare parts. I'm dead, build a new human out of me if you want then throw the rest in the trash (or even better, a body farm), what the gently caress do I care.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some people feel weird about it. I dunno, I'm not Egyptian so I don't think my heart is where my cognitive functions are located so feel free to hack it out and jam it into some other bugger.

Actually feel free to do that even if it is the center of cognitive function because then I can become some sort of inverse aztec immortal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Neil Hamilton AM sounds like the worst radio station.

Firos posted:

I seriously don't get why anyone wouldn't want all their poo poo taken for spare parts. I'm dead, build a new human out of me if you want then throw the rest in the trash (or even better, a body farm), what the gently caress do I care.
If you have certain communicable illnesses or autoimmune diseases that require medication that's the same as is given to transplant recipients then you might not out of consideration. You'd hope that they'd catch that well in advance, but it's one thing that does worry me about the opt-out style systems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely even in that case the transplantee is probably going to be less dead than if they didn't receive the organ.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

If that patient is aware of the consequences and consents then I don't really see what the issue is. Although there seems to be a ton of weirdness around what individuals do to their bodies wrt drugs, abortions, etc. etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm going to donate the hell out of my gay organs when I'm dead and y'all haters can get rekd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Surely even in that case the transplantee is probably going to be less dead than if they didn't receive the organ.
I'm not sure exactly what happens if you have an organ transplanted from someone who has spent their entire life on azathioprine or similar and then you have to take it to stop the transplant being rejected but there must be a reason that they normally say "please don't join organ registers in this case".

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If a recipient were to receive highly risky organ such as the aforementioned example, then there's both a high risk of immediate rejection, coupled with a definite increase of scar tissue either way. An organ needs to be of decent health to prolong the potential of its shelf life within the recipient.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I must have some rare HLA combination because I've been called up every year since I joined for extra blood tests as a possible match. Never actually got to the stage of donating yet though.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ooh spotty young kipper on QT. Why are they always so :argh: ?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Remember Thatcher? She's back! In cloud form. And she's apparently here to warn us about the EU.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Remember Thatcher? She's back! In cloud form. And she's apparently here to warn us about the EU.

According to the weather forecast last night, the jet stream will bring thunderstorms north from Spain to Britain. STAY OUT OF OUR WEATHER YUROPP! :argh:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The Anthony Nolan Trust are now only accepting new people aged 16-30 onto their register, so don't delay. The NHS Stem cell registry will take new men aged 17 - 40, and a subset of women in the same age range ( Black, Asian, minority ethnicities and mixed ethnicity backgrounds).

My gay european blood has already invaded the UK supply and I signed up for bone marrow as well.
Soon.

The one-year ban is effectively lifetime, though, isn't it? I mean, what self-respecting gay man doesn't have sex in a year?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

John Harris has a good piece on the decline of David Cameron. Mostly calling him a hypocrite and an rear end in a top hat but also delightfully honest about how loving poo poo he's been as a PM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lunar Suite posted:

The one-year ban is effectively lifetime, though, isn't it? I mean, what self-respecting gay man doesn't have sex in a year?
It also means that any woman in a long term relationship with a man who got his dick sucked once by another man in college is permanently excluded from giving blood.

There's cautious, and then there's silly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lunar Suite posted:

I was about to say "one that posts on the Something Awful forums" but realised that this would be precluded by "self-respecting" :v:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I think the take home message is that many people are unsure about Corbyn's stance on this subject. Possibly because he's been largely irrelevant throughout the referendum campaign.

The take home message is people can't read. Or can't perform critical thinking. Or don't have higher brain function. All of this is bad for Corbyn and humanity and is going to take more than a replacement leader to fix.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

But more dead than if they waited a week and got a non-grodey organ from someone else.

Edit: can't donate bone marrow, too :corsair:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 3, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

John Harris has a good piece on the decline of David Cameron. Mostly calling him a hypocrite and an rear end in a top hat but also delightfully honest about how loving poo poo he's been as a PM.

The Guardian posted:

The other day I re-read the conference speech that helped him win the leadership in 2005 – a tour de force that was inevitably bigger on high-flown rhetoric than detail, but still promised a new kind of conservatism. “The shouting, finger-pointing, backbiting and point-scoring in the House of Commons – that’s all got to go,” he thundered.

:ironicat:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Claiming your opponents are just point-scoring has always been one of the most efficient ways to score points.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's so nice today, I wish we had real summers in this country, it makes me feel a million times happier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to Brexit that's entirely the fault of Brussels red tape making it increasingly hard for anyone to have a proper summer.

Personally I blame Thatcher.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/WayneDavid81/status/738495356699303937

Would be nice if a sink hole could open beneath the Sun offices and carry everyone in it to their deaths.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
"gently caress it, we can't win the economic argument so let's just go for pure racism and lies"

https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/738355702889078785

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

FACT: Every since we joined the EU, 95% of all foreigners now live in the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you want to confront people with numbers: the proportion of EU citizens that were not born in their country of residence is 6.4%, the proportion of UK citizens who were not born here is 6.6%. We are taking more people in than go out, but we're not taking more than our share.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Every day we are in the EU, you are getting older and feebler. Look! Your knees are going already. All because Eurocrats hate you and have punished you with the terrible curse of time. Vote Leave, vote immortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you want to confront people with numbers: the proportion of EU citizens that were not born in their country of residence is 6.4%, the proportion of UK citizens who were not born here is 6.6%. We are taking more people in than go out, but we're not taking more than our share.
You can prove anything with facts. I find they tend to cloud my judgement.

• Locked thread