Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
are people watching the show supposed to think Red Squad is cool and bad rear end or a bunch of douche bags? I mean my money is on on dbags, but when in context of how bad some of the writers were, I don't know if I can assume that was the intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

are people watching the show supposed to think Red Squad is cool and bad rear end or a bunch of douche bags? I mean my money is on on dbags, but when in context of how bad some of the writers were, I don't know if I can assume that was the intention.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
tall dude in the back has a beautiful do

also all white and human good job Starfleet Academy

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 3, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

criscodisco posted:

Again, Trek writers forgetting all about 3 dimensional space. Should have been "no left no right no up or down, that's how we party in warp speed town".

No, you see if there is a cloaked ship in space you just make a big net of ships and it will fly between them because it doesn't have infinite space in any direction to move.

Have a huge war to fight? Everyone line up like the civil war and take shots at each other.

This was the same problem as Worf in TNG. They intended for him to be the giant fighting machine and had people clown him to show how serious the bad guys/situations were. Except all they ever did was have Worf get backhanded over consoles and punched out, so he looks like a gigantic pussy because they never really established that he was supposed to be the giant fighting machine.

Red Squad is supposed to be the top Star Fleet officers, of the hundreds of thousands / millions of officers it's the several dozen premiere elite most talented. Except the only thing they show is them being a bunch of drug addicted teenagers that commit suicide like retards in Deep Space Nine.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 3, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They got the wrath of khan/undiscovered country director working on the new star trek tv show.

That's really hopeful news.

I'm hoping Nicholas Meyer has absolute creative control over the series and has collected some decent writers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Isn't the new show just going to be in CBS.com though?

I mean, I'll just pirate it, but that's still more of a pain than just finding it on my DVR.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

red squad

red shirts

think about it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Watch the episode Valiant then watch the first Nu Trek film.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man ok so Red Squad wasn't the same as Nova Squad. Nova Squad was the bunch of dumb rear end teenagers /Best Academy Cadets that wrecked their ship killed a kid and covered it up, Nova Red Squad was the bunch of dumb rear end teenagers/ Best Academy Cadets that fought the Cardassians Dominion and died like a bunch of idiots. GOT IT.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 3, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
RED SQUAD!
RED SQUAD!
RED SQUAD!
RED SQU-

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Man ok so Red Squad wasn't the same as Nova Squad. Nova Squad was the bunch of dumb rear end teenagers /Best Academy Cadets that wrecked their ship killed a kid and covered it up, Nova Red Squad was the bunch of dumb rear end teenagers/ Best Academy Cadets that fought the Cardassians and died like a bunch of idiots. GOT IT.

Red Squad got used for a false flag terrorist attack on Earth. When Sisko uncovered that poo poo they got sent on that mission to patrol the rear end end of nowhere.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

The Sphinxster posted:

Red Squad got used for a false flag terrorist attack on Earth. When Sisko uncovered that poo poo they got sent on that mission to patrol the rear end end of nowhere.

Ok I'm remembering now it's been awhile. Just turned on TNG to play on the background and its starting with Geordi reminiscing with Whoopi about that holochick he was creeping on that we discussed a few pages back. I am pumped up for some La Forge creepshow.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ok I'm remembering now it's been awhile. Just turned on TNG to play on the background and its starting with Geordi reminiscing with Whoopi about that holochick he was creeping on that we discussed a few pages back. I am pumped up for some La Forge creepshow.

Geordi's victorian clothing for the Sherlock Holmes episodes are just his casual clothes that he wears when he goes to the arboretum to talk about how earthy the hops taste in his artisinal synthehol.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bajoran government decisions update:

Late in season 1 the Provisional Government has decided they will break apart the core of a habitable m-class moon in their planet's orbit in order to power "up to a few hundred thousand homes this winter". Its breathable atmosphere and arable land will be destroyed. They could extract the energy without permanently destroying it, but they don't have the luxury of waiting a single year to do that.

And the Federation is right there actively helping them pull off this grand plan. I don't grasp how the Fed is willing to help them exacerbate their famine problem, when a shuttle craft on idle could power those low-tech Bajorn homes, but on TNG they couldn't help that one planet whose air purifiers were the source of their air problem.

Either way, Bajor is clearly a Federation-ready civilization. Wont it be so nice to have their voice of reason and civic planning added to the galactic chorus. I guarantee you their first allocation of industrial replicators would be disassembled and used for tractor parts and improvised weapons.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Without strong Cardassian guidance the Bajorans were just loving terrible.

Once they got some actual farm equipment they went to the brink of civil war and a government coup while arguing over who got to use it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

the Bajorans were just loving terrible.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Without strong Cardassian guidance the Bajorans were just loving terrible.

Once they got some actual farm equipment they went to the brink of civil war and a government coup while arguing over who got to use it.

Dukat apologist.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Warp Plasma can't melt Uridium Beams

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Gul Dukat was bad because he wanted to command a starship, kick alien rear end, and bang Orion slave girls.

Capt. Kirk was good because he wanted to command a starship, kick alien rear end, and bang Orion slave girls.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dukat wanted to halt inter-factional violence and cultivate scientific understanding from first principles in a race of vicious fanatics. He could have wiped out the populace from the comfort of orbit, but chose to suffer their slings and arrows in the hopes of one day teaching them to build their own water purifiers and teach Bajorans to co-exist peacefully with other Bajorans.

His folly was that his vision was impossible and that Bajorans couldn't fashion rudimentary metals from mined ore so he tried to make the experience more fun and converted the mines into camps where whole families could learn together and become adept in pit mining, rock breaking, rock dust abatement and deep shaft fire suppression.

Instead they rebelled.

And Dukat again stayed his hand.

So they rebelled some more.

So Dukat felt it best that another group, one with a vicious streak of their own, who may be able to better relate to such a savage populace, be brought in to administrate.

After all, his only goal was to stop Bajorans from killing Bajorans.

So they withdrew their elite educational corps, leaving behind trillions of credits worth of equipment in the form of not one, but two entire space stations hand crafted for the purpose of kickstarting independent Bajoran industrial capacity from nothingness, only taking the careful step of disabling complex technical systems that the Bajorans could use to harm themselves through their technological ignorance if misused during the absence of a gentle ruling hand.

And The Sisko took over. And allowed himself to be worshiped, but forbade his crew to impart any wisdom or technical knowhow onto his new flock. He chose instead to play literal games from on high in the palace Dukat had built to enrich the average Bajoran, while instead, under The Sisko the Bajorans below again starved.

Dukat didn't "do nothing wrong", Dukat did everything right.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 3, 2016

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Dukat owned even more when he took over a klingon bird of prey and went around blowing up poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Currently watching the Voyager episode where the crew finds a magical advanced ship to take them home, but it's all a ploy by an alien to get revenge on 7 for his eradicated homeworld.

Always good to have a reminder that 7 was one of Star Trek's many space hitlers.

One of the best episodes.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

TNG used the Borg sparingly and that made them menacing. VOY they were monster of the week.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Borg are just space zombies. Star Trek was ahead of the curve on TV zombies.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Section 31 knew of the existence of the wormhole prior to its official discovery. That's the only explanation for why the the Federation is willing to bend over backwards to defend a planet of religious fanatics who can build warp capable sail boats but can't feed and house their own people.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bet it's more about strategic position against the Cardassians, which is why we let Turkey into NATO in spite of it being a horrible shithole

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm Captain Janeway. I'm in my ready room. I am ready.

Show me you're ready

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Automatic Slim posted:

TNG used the Borg sparingly and that made them menacing. VOY they were monster of the week.

Yeah, in TNG the Borg were the boogey man at the edge of known space that they barely survived every time. At least until First Contact when they became hella lame :smith:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

vyst posted:

Show me you're ready

This bun means business, mister

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This bun means business, mister

Your buns are completely my poo poo

naem
May 29, 2011

How has there never been an snl skit that crossed cardassian with kardashien

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
the doctor julian bashir outgoons all 7 years of yoger

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Maybe it's time for HBO to pick up a new Trek series and then we can actually see sexy aliens, captains and borg hybrids getting they earth/space genitalia smashed.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

DOMDOM posted:

the doctor julian bashir outgoons all 7 years of yoger

He does make advances against people that put him in the friend zone, but he later has class and gets ladies by being smooth and having an active social life / plenty of friends.

Geordi was the weirdo living in the jefferies tubes cursing about how all the ladies liked Riker only because they didn't give HIM a chance. His only friend was the autistic robot that doesn't understand what hatred is. One of the first things Data did after getting an emotions chip was yell at/torture Geordi, who seemed jealous Data now had emotion.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think data had more sex than Geordie did. Ladies would rather gently caress a robot than a black guy. Racist.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if a genetically perfect man like Bashir can't get a girlfriend

what hope do I have

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
me, when bashir got stabbed to death on game of thrones: :woop:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guess turning safety protocols off was a bad idea.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm disappointed to hear Bashir was on that terrible show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Haha he was killed off because the secondary characters they surrounded him with were terrible plus they weren't allowed to shoot where they filmed last season.

So we don't get anymore Bashir in the show because of the poo poo writers and poo poo production