Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeesh

I think it's doing that cause I'm idling a bunch of visual novels right now for cards. Is there a way to tell steam you aren't interested in a curation group like there is with your interest queue or whatever?

Use Enhanced Steam or Adblock the whole curation box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

juliuspringle posted:

Yeah, I just couldn't remember what the hell it was called. If they are playing something can I play a different game at the same time or does it basically lock me out unless I'm like gently caress you I'm playing now?

Apparently I thought you were talking about your kids' accounts. Have an FAQ: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731

And a relevant quote:

"I want to play my own shared games, but they're in use. What do I do?

As the account holder, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when another user is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given five minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Thuryl posted:

If you follow at least one curator, any curator, it should stop recommending you curators and start recommending you games from your followed curators in that space instead. Time to pick the lesser evil.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/audish#curation

Well that wasn't a hard decision at all :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jamfrost posted:

Apparently I thought you were talking about your kids' accounts. Have an FAQ: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3784-QLBM-5731

And a relevant quote:

"I want to play my own shared games, but they're in use. What do I do?

As the account holder, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when another user is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given five minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing."

I set this up for MY GIRLFRIEND because she wanted to play Turmoil (which is a fun game btw) and after she'd installed it on her laptop, she was able to start Steam offline and play at the same time as I was playing Dota on my PC.

Of course this won't work for games which need a net connection.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Yeah, I just couldn't remember what the hell it was called. If they are playing something can I play a different game at the same time or does it basically lock me out unless I'm like gently caress you I'm playing now?

pretty sure the game owner gets priority

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeesh

I think it's doing that cause I'm idling a bunch of visual novels right now for cards. Is there a way to tell steam you aren't interested in a curation group like there is with your interest queue or whatever?
Sorry, you're on the list now. Once you get on the list, you can't be dropped from it and there are no appeals.

aba
Oct 2, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeesh

Just follow Zombie Samurai: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/audish .

Edit: Late.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

juliuspringle posted:

You can play in offline mode without disturbing the person playing your family sharing. Might not be applicable if you want to do a multiplayer game, but it is what I do.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the hell is this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/380750/

I detect anime!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, anime games can be good. Like recettear, that's super anime and also great!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Old goon favorite Hard Reset just got a redux version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/407810

I think it's nice of them to give an 85% discount (basically, it's 3 bucks) for anyone who owned the old version. It's refreshing to see a game re-released and not try to stiff buyers of the original for once. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WMain00 posted:

What the hell is this:

I detect anime!

It's actually based in a Spanish P&P RPG

That really, really wants to be anime

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
UnEpic was one of the biggest disappointments I've had on Steam. I was willing to forgive the writing if the gameplay was solid, but it's not.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BobTheJanitor posted:

Old goon favorite Hard Reset just got a redux version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/407810

I think it's nice of them to give an 85% discount (basically, it's 3 bucks) for anyone who owned the old version. It's refreshing to see a game re-released and not try to stiff buyers of the original for once. :)

IIRC they also upgraded everyone who had purchased their game to the Extended Edition they had released for free a few years back. They are cool people in my book.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

UnEpic was one of the biggest disappointments I've had on Steam. I was willing to forgive the writing if the gameplay was solid, but it's not.

Unepic is the only game I've ever had to stop playing because I couldn't stand the writing.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks. That on my wishlist for some reason but maybe not anymore.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WMain00 posted:

What the hell is this:

I detect anime!
Holy poo poo, they made a video game based on that tabletop RPG? That game is one of the most complicated things I've ever read in my life.

UnEpic's gameplay seemed to assume you have at least three hands.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pretty close to my experience with it. The gameplay was tolerable-ish, though just barely. And the writing was abysmally cringe-worthy.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Dangerous Golf is really bad :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part of Hard Reset is that just about every weapon from Metroid Prime is in there in some way. It's got the charge beam, super missiles, plasma beam, and wavebuster at minimum.

quote:

Pretty close to my experience with it. The gameplay was tolerable-ish, though just barely. And the writing was abysmally cringe-worthy.

The gameplay started off ok then steadily got worse.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StabMasterArson posted:

Dangerous Golf is really bad :(

How so? All I've heard about it that's bad is that it requires a controller but doesn't tell you that on the store page.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Notice that the discount also applies to anyone who owns the new Shadow Warrior. Always count on Wang.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey, anime games can be good. Like recettear, that's super anime and also great!

The most anime game in my meager library of 277 games is Pac-Man and I still feel like it's too much anime.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

BobTheJanitor posted:

(The Original) is a great game. It has some faults, but overall, I really enjoyed it. Very much a 90's shooter that focuses on gunplay and worries about story....well really never. A very good one in the budget 90's shooter comeback genre (Alien Rage, Shadow Warrior, etc). .

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

BobTheJanitor posted:

Old goon favorite Hard Reset

I don't know where you were but when I last brought up Hard Reset in a positive light, people told me it was poo poo.

Might have been the fact that it was me saying it, but glad some people still like a good shooter :shobon:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I wonder how useful the new katana weapon will actually be, since most enemies violently explode upon death.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Someone thinks that the new dash makes the game too easy

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Morter posted:

I don't know where you were but when I last brought up Hard Reset in a positive light, people told me it was poo poo.

Might have been the fact that it was me saying it, but glad some people still like a good shooter :shobon:

Hard Reset was great fun, but enemies took a LOT of bullets at higher difficulty and personally, it's not a game that I would consider coming back to, even with better graphics or new features.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

How so? All I've heard about it that's bad is that it requires a controller but doesn't tell you that on the store page.

The controls are really bad and doesn't make an effort to tell you what you should be doing. The camera gets snagged on EVERYTHING so its really hard to tell what's going on, especially with the lack of control. You spend most of the time with props etc in your face and blocking what you're looking at. Retrying a level means it has to load all over again. From what I can tell there's only 4 different areas too?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've finally hit the big time, I don't have to plug my curations anymore! :neckbeard:

1. Banished
2. StarTopia

3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition

It's hard to look at a Roman city-building game and not think of the venerable Caesar series, but I encourage you to put it out of your mind. There are no wandering agents and maze-like roadways to be found here, but there is some solid construction and management. Having more in common with titles like Children of the Nile or Tropico, Imperium Romanum takes a simple system and spreads it across a bewildering array of scenarios and challenges.

Each scenario sets you as the praetor of a city somewhere in the empire, anywhere from Alexandria to Pompeii to Rome itself. Most of the time you'll be starting from just a forum and stockpile, but some scenarios give you a whole city right from the get-go. From there you have to build houses, mines, farms, woodcutters, and other basics to get the town running. Once your settlement is established you can start looking into trade routes, fortifications, temples, schools, and other advanced constructions. There's a fair number of buildings to build, and you'll be building most of them in each scenario.

What keeps things fresh as you bounce from province to province are the scenario conditions. Many will limit you in some way, like not having any wood or stone on the map. Instead you'll get supplied by Rome while you get established, and then have to fulfill some goal or start trading to make up the difference. These goals and events are conveyed through the tablet system, which you can trigger whenever you want. You can accept up to three tablets at once, and they can give new objectives, bonuses, or serious curveballs. It's an interesting system to direct the scenarios but some of the tablets can be unexpectedly brutal. One map tasks you with establishing a port, and one of the tablets about halfway through is a tidal wave that wipes out anything you've built up to that point.

I know that sounds absolutely terrible, but Imperium Romanum is so relaxed and simple that it's hard to get mad at it. Buildings are usually constructed swiftly and your resource production is very generous in its quantities. There is warfare as well, but it's as simple as building barracks and sending your regiments out to conquer barbarians. About the only real frustration I've found is that our citizens have needs that must be fulfilled to keep them happy and out of trouble, and after six hours and as many scenarios I still can't keep them from turning irate and rebellious. Even if you build them everything you can think of, some of them always seem to get mad about something.

Part of the problem is a lack of information available. You have almost no charts or graphs for your citizens or your resources, and clicking on buildings only gives general information about their contents. This means there's a rough learning curve while you figure out how many wheat farms and bakeries it takes to supply your citizens with bread, but like I mentioned, the game is too relaxed to ever really punish you for it. There's no fail state that I can see, and citizens never move out, instead opting to complain endlessly and maybe riot.

The presentation does a lot to endear Imperium Romanum in spite of its shortcomings as well. The clean, detailed graphics make for picturesque settlements and countryside in every scenario. You can follow your citizens around and watch them gesticulate wildly as they chat or pray. Construction is a bit unpolished, going from a pile of materials to a whole building in the blink of an eye, but the buildings themselves are magnificent. The sound design is fine with its understated bustle and alerts, and it includes some oddly jazzy tunes as well.

While not one of the best city builders I've played, Imperium Romanum still manages to be one of the most enjoyable. The charming look and feel of the game, coupled with the simple building and tablet guidance, make this a great title to relax with. You're bound to run into some small faults and frustrations, but odds are it will win you back across its wealth of scenarios. It might be a bit barebones, but there's a good heart in there that makes it worth a look.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hard Reset was loved because it was an old throwback game that was pretty fun during a time when there was very little like that around.

Now that we have Old Blood and Doom though it has lost its place and its flaws are much more apparent.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hard Reset was great fun, but enemies took a LOT of bullets at higher difficulty and personally, it's not a game that I would consider coming back to, even with better graphics or new features.

I played Hard Reset on Hard and it pretty much ruined the game for me. Enemies took an exhausting number of bullets to kill and the bosses lasted so long I would run out of health pickups on the map. That being said, the game itself is really fun and the changes that the Redux version make (mainly the dodge and the "rebalanced difficulties") sound like enough to get me in again. The upgrade system was neat and the fact that literally everything everywhere explodes is a big plus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zetsubou-san posted:

ok... they've gone and released a sakura game in a genre I might actually want to play a sakura game in.
just wait for Stranger of Sword City, it comes out a couple days later and it's an actual legit DRPG ported over from Vita

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RVWinkle posted:

The most anime game in my meager library of 277 games is Pac-Man and I still feel like it's too much anime.

You should try recettear! It's a fun little shopkeeping game with Zelda dungeon elements. Not many games like it.

Has a great translation by a couple of goons too. Just...mute the voices if you can't handle some high pitched voices.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of hard reset's elements of modern design really dragged it down, like checkpoint saves, throwing incredibly screen-obscuring jelly on the screen whenever you took a single point of damage (sounds like a nitpick but in an old-school shooter that is a big problem), and levels that really restrict your movement in spite of your character's fast run speed. It also had some performance problems when I played.

The voice acting and story were also garbage but that's not surprising and doesn't matter very much. Graphics and setting were interesting and the weapons were fun to use, but I really prefer serious sam's "legion of low-health enemies" design over hard reset's "gang of bullet sponges," especially when you often have so little freedom of movement that you are dodging the same enemies in a cramped space for much longer than is comfortable.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey another HOG bundle, this time with new Artifex Mundi games.

https://www.indiegala.com/artifexmundi

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Tempted to buy the monthly, but i already have rocket league on ps4. When do the new monthlys start?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

strategery posted:

Tempted to buy the monthly, but i already have rocket league on ps4. When do the new monthlys start?
Get it anyway then you can play with PS4 peeps or Xboners.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

strategery posted:

Probably today, actually. They usually switch on the first Friday of each month.

Also Hell Yeah Hard Reset Is Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw how bullet-spongey the enemies in Hard Reset were and turned the difficulty down to easy or whatever the equivalent is, making it much more enjoyable. That's usually my choice in any game where difficulty just means enemy HP++. I enjoy actually challenging games, but I have no gamer pride 'must play on hard mode' obsession when it just means fiddling some numbers to make everything take longer.

Edit: Haven't tried the new one yet to see if the rebalance fixed any of that, but I did go ahead and buy it just to reward them for being so reasonable about the pricing. And because, hey, 3 bucks.

• Locked thread