Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atmus posted:

It's a 'logical' idea, the assumption being that if what you used first didn't work, use something bigger, and kinda sorta works if you are in the wilderness. It's also wrong, in that at that range the only real difference between the loads listed is what happens to whatever or whoever is behind the guy, which is a pretty important factor that our hero has failed to consider.

Also as impressive as shotgun related wounds can be, it's extremely unlikely that it would actually result in decapitation/complete cranial destruction.

Actually, birdshot's been tested and it's pretty lovely as a defensive load. A lot of people mistakenly think that at close range the mass of shot acts like a slug or buckshot and just blows up whatever it hits. But it turns out that the actual penetration really is affected by the size and mass of the projectiles, even though the total mass is the same as a more powerful load. So he's actually using successively more deadly loads in his fake story.

Samfucius posted:

In scared gun owner land, there are lots of hulking PCP-using monstrosities roaming the land.

"What the gently caress is this science bullshit?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually, birdshot's been tested and it's pretty lovely as a defensive load. A lot of people mistakenly think that at close range the mass of shot acts like a slug or buckshot and just blows up whatever it hits. But it turns out that the actual penetration really is affected by the size and mass of the projectiles, even though the total mass is the same as a more powerful load. So he's actually using successively more deadly loads in his fake story.

In addition to being really ineffective as a defensive load, it's also legally considered lethal force. So, he shoots to 'warn' the guy, and even if he hits, in the time it takes to rack the next shell, the guy could realistically have tackled him. Congrats, now your attempt to stop the assault has utterly failed, but don't worry! In the eyes of the law, you also used lethal force! :toot:

It's about as bright an idea as people who carry airsoft/pellet pistols as a substitute for a real gun, because it's the worst of both worlds.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

In scared gun owner land, life is Left 4 Dead.

but for some reason all the zombies look like Louis

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

At his stated range of 6', it wouldn't really matter.

The 'sensible' arguments I've read for birdshot as a defensive load was that most pellets will still penetrate 'enough' at defensive ranges to cause on overall lethal wound, but without killing the neighbors when you missed (or even if you didn't). Other less sensible reasoning was that the birdshot was a step above rocksalt or whatever for discouraging an attacker without killing them. As you've stated, ballistics is some crazy poo poo. And Gun People are... well, Gun People.

Realistically though someone defending their home or neighbor's wife or whatever with a shotgun should probably get purpose designed ammunition for it, but at least it sounded cool in his totally real and not at all made up story about how he botched his loading when he finally got to use his gun in public.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poo poo, even a .22 pistol has been tested to penetrate interior walls just fine. There's extremely little in the way of ammo that won't pass into another room if you miss. The only surefire way to not risk it is to not miss the burglar.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The Box O' Truth tested various rock salt loads and found that they bounced off of corrugated cardboard at anything more than basically point-blank range. Any tales you hear of people using them to any kind of effect are entirely fiction. Also it's really bad for your gun.

edit: this reminds me of another stupid gun story that came to the last thread through an imgur confession bear. The guy was like yeah I shot a mugger with my 9mm, I carry that because I don't want to kill anybody! Yeah good job, moron - shooting someone is lethal force, regardless of your intentions. If he didn't die when you shot him, he got lucky.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Jun 3, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

poo poo, even a .22 pistol has been tested to penetrate interior walls just fine. There's extremely little in the way of ammo that won't pass into another room if you miss. The only surefire way to not risk it is to not miss the burglar.

Drywall is surprisingly not very resistant to bullets.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All of you arguing about the effectiveness of the gun, and the lethality of it's projectile load are missing the point.

He had a gun! So was right to use it on anyone who didn't have a gun, but might have. His gun helped him save/protect his poor innocent neighbour. Also his gun made him cool and tough and strong and awesome!

Therefore we should all have multiple guns and carry them everywhere! (Except of course saggy pant wearing thugs.)

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Bird, Buck, Slug, Slug, Slug.

A light peppering to scare you off, a good shot to put you down, and then "3 three in the head, make sure your dead."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

Bird, Buck, Slug, Slug, Slug.

A light peppering to scare you off, a good shot to put you down, and then "3 three in the head, make sure your dead."

If you're not using explosive shells, you're not dedicated to stopping power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAejH9wnhzA

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flamethrower rounds.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Let us gently hop back on track for a moment to enjoy some classic Troper Tales for anyone who's missed their soft touch.

DARK IS NOT EVIL

- This user is kind of a jerk (flipping off salesmen, using deathglare with reckless abandon to get people to move, and occasionally just running down underclassmen with a rolling backpack), wears fairly dark clothing (green, dark gray, and occasionally black if I am in a bad mood...Except for my trademark silver jacket, that coat's been through three JROTC camps, and four hunting seasons without taking any serious damage, it may very well outlive me. So I consider it a good luck charm/security item), and I hate people seeing my eyes, so I wear sunglasses on any day where it is not dark or rainy enough to render me nearly blind by doing so. BUT I don't hesitate to help the few people in this world who's existence I can actually tolerate for more then five minutes. And WILL DESTROY anyone who messes with them in the most effective manner possible (I obey all laws, however, you can't help your friends if you're doing 20 years for kicking a bully in the genitals). Being a douche does not make you evil.

REASON YOU SUCK SPEECH

- This Troper gave a very nasty one that was merged with a Hannibal Lecture to a bully Jerk Jock type. It can be summed up as, "I really do pity you. . .or at least I try to. . . . You are just an empty fool who tries to erase his fear that he might not get a football scholarship by bullying those lesser than him. I continue these "geeky" behaviors because they let me form at least a core of my personality. You. . .you have nothing any more other than to try to fill your empty core up with the fear of others while watching that perfect six pack decay from one too many beers." He cried and ran away, having been emotionally dissected.

TOOK A LEVEL IN BADASS

- This Troper got picked on alot, in middle school and high school. Totally ignored in college by vapid girls. But after he got his degree and became manager at the most successful Gamestop (Southeast region), there are loads of kids (and college students who have to answer to him. Cue Evil Laugh . . .

- This anonymous troper took a level in badass between sixth and seventh grade. Sixth grade? I was teased, hated by pretty much everyone, driven to tears at times. You know, the usual. I did however plant the seeds for my upgrade. I was already tall, handsome, strong, and smart. So the next year comes around, and early on I'm already getting some form of respect. When I tried out for wrestling is when I really got noticed. Among my team, I was easily one of the best, even though I was just a rookie, I was good at other sports too, even though I didn't have time to try out for the teams, and I was aware that there were plenty girls crushing on me. I just didn't have time for them either. It went as far as people claiming that I could beat THEM in a fight. Black people. That's serious.

-This troper took a few levels when, after years of being a Woobie so pitiful Shinji would say what the heck is wrong with you, I had enough of a girl I liked always going for this tall, blond guy. When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up." The boy looks around and walks over, trying to look menacing. Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead and then slide under and punch him in the stomach, he goes backwards and I land another one to his face. I then go berserk and full body tackle him. He managed to crawl away, and say, "That kid...is inhuman!"

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
It's not even the most successful Game Stop of all time. I feel bad for anyone who has to settle in their own fantasies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Black people. That's serious.

Pray tell.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Assistant TO the Regional Manager.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Let us gently hop back on track for a moment to enjoy some classic Troper Tales for anyone who's missed their soft touch.

DARK IS NOT EVIL

- This user is kind of a jerk (flipping off salesmen, using deathglare with reckless abandon to get people to move, and occasionally just running down underclassmen with a rolling backpack), wears fairly dark clothing (green, dark gray, and occasionally black if I am in a bad mood...Except for my trademark silver jacket, that coat's been through three JROTC camps, and four hunting seasons without taking any serious damage, it may very well outlive me. So I consider it a good luck charm/security item), and I hate people seeing my eyes, so I wear sunglasses on any day where it is not dark or rainy enough to render me nearly blind by doing so. BUT I don't hesitate to help the few people in this world who's existence I can actually tolerate for more then five minutes. And WILL DESTROY anyone who messes with them in the most effective manner possible (I obey all laws, however, you can't help your friends if you're doing 20 years for kicking a bully in the genitals). Being a douche does not make you evil.

I'd like to think that this is the inner life of everyone you've ever seen under the age of 50 with a rolling backpack

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love their usage of death glare. In all of their poo poo they treat it like a terrible and super effective weapon. In anime that might be true, irl it's just a doughy nerd staring at someone trying to look intimidating.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Man, I don't know. If somebody looked at me like this:

I'd take a step back too

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

chitoryu12 posted:

Pray tell.

my favorite line

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Excuse my inferior male brain but isn't the simple answer "He thinks you're as dumb as you're pretending to be."? Like if you act dumb people are going to think you are dumb.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

I love their usage of death glare. In all of their poo poo they treat it like a terrible and super effective weapon. In anime that might be true, irl it's just a doughy nerd staring at someone trying to look intimidating.

It can't even be very effective since he hates people seeing his eyes.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

It can't even be very effective since he hates people seeing his eyes.

pfft. like he needs those.

p.s. if you liked that movie when it came out do yourself a favor and don't see it again :(

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Elfgames posted:

Excuse my inferior male brain but isn't the simple answer "He thinks you're as dumb as you're pretending to be."? Like if you act dumb people are going to think you are dumb.
It's more that the dude starts with the assumption that she doesn't understand the very simple thing because she's female, not because she showed any indication that she didn't understand it. This is a thing women encounter all the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

hogmartin posted:

p.s. if you liked that movie when it came out do yourself a favor and see it again :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I work in an office with around 20 people and we all use the same fridge.
We've had problems for months with food going missing and no matter how many passive-aggressive notes management put out or naming of cartons/packets; poo poo keeps going missing.

One day some greedy poo poo eats my ENTIRE portion of leftover lasagna I'd brought in leaving me with no lunch and I was mad as hell.

As a hobby I am a competitive chili eater and I have experimented with making my own chili sauces so I have some 5,000,000 scoville extract in my cupboard (357 Maddog extract) and decided to lace some food with it and leave it in the cupboard. I got a pack of 3 sausage rolls, lifted the pastry off of one of them, dabbed several drops of extract at one end and put the pastry back on top and back in the packet
Revenge is a dish best served red loving hot.

I have one hell of a tolerance to hot food and in hindsight this was a DUMB idea even if I was super mad that someone had eaten my lunch. I was bad and I feel bad.

2 days later my colleague (it turned out to be the fat gal in the office) starts screaming in agonizing gastronomical pain and we have to call an ambulance for her. She is legit having seizures and vomiting and crying and everyone in the office is freaking the hell out

She was taken to hospital by ambulance and discharged a few hours later (thankfully) once the pain had subsided.

Food stopped going missing.

TL;DR Someone stole my food, I put them in hospital

FP Edit: Ha! Didn't realise there'd be this much support! I am in the UK; I don't work there any more nor live in the same city and this was around 5 years ago.
Send boobs... hell send anything!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

She deserved it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm gonna send my boob to the guy. Now where did I put my knife?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I farted in a guy's coffee mug because he ate my pizza.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm in the UK and use American spelling and vocabulary.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I'm in the UK and use American spelling and vocabulary.

Tunicate posted:

I work in an rooty tooty roomy worky with around 20 flesh cunninghams and we all use the same rooty tooty coldy keepy.
We've had problems for several 4680-bongers with rooty tooty eat-and-poopy going missing and no matter how many French notes management put out or naming of satan's hats/parcels; rooty tooty poopy poopy keeps going missing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:eyepop:

Noice mate.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

DARK IS NOT EVIL

REASON YOU SUCK SPEECH

- This Troper gave a very nasty one that was merged with a Hannibal Lecture to a bully Jerk Jock type. It can be summed up as, "I really do pity you. . .or at least I try to. . . . You are just an empty fool who tries to erase his fear that he might not get a football scholarship by bullying those lesser than him. I continue these "geeky" behaviors because they let me form at least a core of my personality. You. . .you have nothing any more other than to try to fill your empty core up with the fear of others while watching that perfect six pack decay from one too many beers." He cried and ran away, having been emotionally dissected.

TOOK A LEVEL IN BADASS

- This Troper got picked on alot, in middle school and high school. Totally ignored in college by vapid girls. But after he got his degree and became manager at the most successful Gamestop (Southeast region), there are loads of kids (and college students who have to answer to him. Cue Evil Laugh . . .

- This anonymous troper took a level in badass between sixth and seventh grade. Sixth grade? I was teased, hated by pretty much everyone, driven to tears at times. You know, the usual. I did however plant the seeds for my upgrade. I was already tall, handsome, strong, and smart. So the next year comes around, and early on I'm already getting some form of respect. When I tried out for wrestling is when I really got noticed. Among my team, I was easily one of the best, even though I was just a rookie, I was good at other sports too, even though I didn't have time to try out for the teams, and I was aware that there were plenty girls crushing on me. I just didn't have time for them either. It went as far as people claiming that I could beat THEM in a fight. Black people. That's serious.

-This troper took a few levels when, after years of being a Woobie so pitiful Shinji would say what the heck is wrong with you, I had enough of a girl I liked always going for this tall, blond guy. When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up." The boy looks around and walks over, trying to look menacing. Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead and then slide under and punch him in the stomach, he goes backwards and I land another one to his face. I then go berserk and full body tackle him. He managed to crawl away, and say, "That kid...is inhuman!"

I too have listened to the most recent f plus podcast.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Isn't that one a super old fplus episode tho?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Fathis Munk posted:

Isn't that one a super old fplus episode tho?

Yeah, it's episode 60.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Stroop There It Is posted:

It's more that the dude starts with the assumption that she doesn't understand the very simple thing because she's female, not because she showed any indication that she didn't understand it. This is a thing women encounter all the time.

Pretty sure the guy is being sarcastic and is 100% aware of what he is doing.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

sinburger posted:

Poe's Law

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Even The Blacks are afraid to fight me.

Tunicate posted:

2 days later my colleague (it turned out to be the fat gal in the office) starts screaming in agonizing gastronomical pain and we have to call an ambulance for her. She is legit having seizures and vomiting and crying and everyone in the office is freaking the hell out

FP Edit: Ha! Didn't realise there'd be this much support! I am in the UK; I don't work there any more nor live in the same city and this was around 5 years ago.
Send boobs... hell send anything!
My 2 favorite parts of this are the fake antagonist of a fat girl(also probably an SJW) and the request for boobs. Imgur's FP politics get me everytime

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

sinburger posted:

What do you mean?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stroop There It Is posted:

What do you mean?

Alright honeybuns, listen up :smuggo:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Bayonet

quote:

This Troper's own CMOA came about six months ago. I was working in the basement garage on my car, which had broken down due to some battery and engine problems. Nothing big. I'm not exceedingly mechanically inclined, but I could fix this stuff. I was home alone, and I hear some noises from upstairs. I knew my folks weren't due to be home until about 23:00 and it was only 21:00 (yeah I work on the 24-hour clock, I find it more efficient), so something was up. I go into the downstairs living room, and spot the Lee-Enfield rifle my great-grandfather used in the Great War on the mantleplace, with it's foot and a half-long bayonet and scabbard beneath it. I pick up the bayonet, place the scabbard on my belt and sheath it, then go upstairs. I hear voices. Looking up from the stairs, I see some kids, maybe 13-14 years of age, dressed up 'gangsta' and rummaging through the kitchen cabinets. They seemed to be searching for liquor. I went up the stairs into the kitchen and, in my loudest drill instructor voice (I'm in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, you see, a sort of youth military group) I asked them what the hell they were doing in my house. They told me to show them where the booze cabinet was, if I knew what was good for me. I said no, and told them to get out of my house. The 'leader' of sorts said he was going to mess me up and flicked out this little 4 inch pocket knife. I decided the best response was a Gran Turino quote. I replied "You ever met that one guy you shouldn't have hosed with? That's me" and then I unsheathed the 43 inch bayonet and held it up with my best Crocodile Dundee grin. Their faces paled and then promptly ran as fast as they could down the stairs and out the front door. I didn't see any reason to phone the police.

Purse

quote:

This Troper's mother had one years before even meeting his father. She was on her earlier thirties, and was on a turistic bus tour with her parents, her brother and her sister (The bus had two floors, my mom was with her sister on the first one while the rest was on the top one). Suddenly, she notices a guy on the seat in front of her slipping his hand into the purse of the woman sitting besides him, and to top it off, she notices that he and the driver where in cahoots. Cue my mon standing up and threathning the thief physically (she told me she actually punched him), then walking to the driver and demanding him to drive them to the closest police station or else she would "break his arms and drive there (herself)". He would have stood up to her, but by that time, everyone on the bus noticed what was happening and were on the verge of lynching the guys.

Cord

quote:

I had one a day ago, and I feel great just thinking about it. A classmate nearby was spewing insults about me like there was no tommorow crackhead and human being being among them, and it was starting to piss me off. So i got an electric cord for my laptop and whipped it on the desk in front of him with a loud snap, silencing the entire class. He looked up at into my face and I said, calm as ever,
This troper: Shut up, or i'm going to go Simon Belmont on your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

This is the first one to leave me wanting for more. How did the mother discover that the driver was in cahoots in the middle of a purse-snatching? Did he twirl his moustache and wink at the mirror? Did she notice that they were both black? Come on, don't hold out!