Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Posted on the Steam group last month.

Also read the filename. :laugh:

By the way, do you attack with each hand when Helping Hands are equipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Imgur doesn't preserve the filename, sadly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

By the way, do you attack with each hand when Helping Hands are equipped?
They have the same chance-to-attack as extra arms do, so usually not a lot, but you can upgrade it by taking the right skills.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

loving laffo @ that tumblr

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

megane posted:

They have the same chance-to-attack as extra arms do, so usually not a lot, but you can upgrade it by taking the right skills.
Speaking of, another thing I feel like I asked about before-how does increasing the level of your extra arms mutation interact with taking levels of dual wield?
Like, if I take dual wielding to increase my offhand attack chance to 35%, and then upgrade extra arms, mutation description saying my chance to attack with them goes from 10% to 12% or whatever, what does that mean? Is my offhand attack chance still increasing by 2%? More than that? Less than that?

Also unfortunately these past couple of days Qud has been repeatedly crashing my computer. :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Also unfortunately these past couple of days Qud has been repeatedly crashing my computer. :(

Like... the whole thing?... sounds like it's probably a hardware/driver issue.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well everything's up to date except my NVIDIA, which is only a little out of date. I'll update and see if that fixes it, hopefully it's not hardware failing on me.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Well everything's up to date except my NVIDIA, which is only a little out of date. I'll update and see if that fixes it, hopefully it's not hardware failing on me.

Check your cpu/gpu fans maybe? Qud tends to run a little hot when it's really going since it's multi-threaded, and if your cpu fan is gunked up it might be getting hot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

IronicDongz posted:

Speaking of, another thing I feel like I asked about before-how does increasing the level of your extra arms mutation interact with taking levels of dual wield?
Like, if I take dual wielding to increase my offhand attack chance to 35%, and then upgrade extra arms, mutation description saying my chance to attack with them goes from 10% to 12% or whatever, what does that mean? Is my offhand attack chance still increasing by 2%? More than that? Less than that?

Dual wield only affects the chance to hit with your normal hands, not the extra arms.
There is one important exception though: The "flurry" power always attacks with all of your wielded weapons, including ones from extra arms or helping hands.

Extra arms are still helpful though. With some finagling you can use them to dual-wield two-handed weapons, although by default a 2h weapon will go into lefthand 1 + righthand 1 which is straight up worse than lefthand 1 + lefthand 2 (because then your second 2h weapon will be using the attack chance from the multiple arms mutation instead of from the dual wielding skill). Or if you want the maximum possible number of places to spend points, you can wield a 2h weapon, a dagger in the offhand, and a shield. Not a great idea without huge int though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or if you want the maximum possible number of places to spend points, you can wield a 2h weapon, a dagger in the offhand, and a shield. Not a great idea without huge int though.

Only a really intelligent person could conceive of such a stupid way to fight. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Dual wield only affects the chance to hit with your normal hands, not the extra arms.
There is one important exception though: The "flurry" power always attacks with all of your wielded weapons, including ones from extra arms or helping hands.

Extra arms are still helpful though. With some finagling you can use them to dual-wield two-handed weapons, although by default a 2h weapon will go into lefthand 1 + righthand 1 which is straight up worse than lefthand 1 + lefthand 2 (because then your second 2h weapon will be using the attack chance from the multiple arms mutation instead of from the dual wielding skill). Or if you want the maximum possible number of places to spend points, you can wield a 2h weapon, a dagger in the offhand, and a shield. Not a great idea without huge int though.
Thanks. I feel like given this and how much I use Freezing hands, I may be better off with a Heightened Speed build. I'll have to mess around with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Only a really intelligent person could conceive of such a stupid way to fight. :v:

Good thing we have Mister Expert on Four-Armed Combat TooMuchAbstraction to tell us how it is :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Real warriors wear four bucklers and two pairs of spiked gauntlets and just run around punching everything in a berserker rage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That reminds me, is there a reason to wear more than 1 shield/buckler? Does each one have a block chance, or do they add together AV or something?

Also I think my issues may be because of heat because when I paid attention to it/kept it on something cool I didn't get crashes.

Consistently my favorite thing to do in Qud is to find random groups of creatures that are probably too tough to take on safely and try to fight them. Which obviously can lead to me getting killed...

But look at all this sweet loot!

:eyepop:

not sure this guy was supposed to spawn. A hideous specimen.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 3, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
  • Glowcrust infections no longer spew spore clouds. That's exclusive to fickle gill.
  • Rumors abound of adventurers discovering Mechanimist statue-shrines deep in the caves of Qud. Did the sculptress Petramaia base her Six Day Stilt creations on earlier works?
  • Added new tiles for these items.
    • medical locker
    • nanopneumatic jackhammer
    • leather and studded leather armor
    • various plate mails
    • cloth overalls
    • leather apron
    • various energy cells
    • laser pistol
    • overloaded laser pistol
    • plastic tree
  • Added a few variations to corpse splats.
  • Added the 'seed: n' wish, which sets the world seed to 'n'.
  • Quest-based chronology entries actually appear in the chronology now.
  • When NPCs overdose on shade oil, they no longer recursively spawn infinite shadow selves.
  • Copies of perennial, named NPCs no longer appear in unaffiliated caves. ("Are those three copies of Oboroqoru, Ape God?")
  • Fixed an issue that occasionally caused map building to fail, particularly in and around Bethesda Susa.
  • Fixed some issues that occasionally caused maps to rebuild.
  • Fixed some map builders that weren't properly tied to the world seed.
  • Fixed cave layouts being too similar along the Z axis.
  • Removed some redundant data storage in save files.
  • Fixed a rare corner case that caused maps to build forever.
  • Mod support: added 'AdjacentTo:' and 'AdjacentToStartsWith:' population placement hints.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I have glotrot. At first it just made me bleed, but now whenever I try to drink fresh water from a container I get a "It's disgusting! You vomit!" message, become a lot hungrier, and then the container is no longer full of fresh water, but dilute putresence. How do I not die of dehydration while this is happening?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Eating vinewafers helps a lot. You'll bleed incessantly, but you can hydrate, at least. Don't try to travel with only vinewafers for food, though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IronicDongz posted:

So I have glotrot. At first it just made me bleed, but now whenever I try to drink fresh water from a container I get a "It's disgusting! You vomit!" message, become a lot hungrier, and then the container is no longer full of fresh water, but dilute putresence. How do I not die of dehydration while this is happening?

Obtain at least 2 containers. Pour a smaller quantity of water into one container, i.e. 1-4 drams. Drink from it. If you vomit, then empty the smaller container and try again. You won't vomit each time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I guess I just got unlucky the first few times I tried to drink and gross'd it up several times in a row. Still alive, scrounged up enough money for the Corpus Choliys.

If I'm reading this right, I need to pour 1 blood, 1 cider, 3 wine into the same canteen, and then... set it on fire and drink from it? How do I do that? I don't think I have anything that produces fire.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Obtain a thermal grenade, flamethrower, find magma, or drop it between yourself and a dawnglider in the western desert or one of the fire-breathing enemies in the asphalt mines to the north.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, or beat it with a lit torch. I just tested that and with a canteen in "perfect" condition, you should light it on fire before destroying it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

That reminds me, is there a reason to wear more than 1 shield/buckler? Does each one have a block chance, or do they add together AV or something?

Also I think my issues may be because of heat because when I paid attention to it/kept it on something cool I didn't get crashes.

Consistently my favorite thing to do in Qud is to find random groups of creatures that are probably too tough to take on safely and try to fight them. Which obviously can lead to me getting killed...

But look at all this sweet loot!

:eyepop:

Mechanimists have a large chance of spawning an unnamed creature with all placeholder statistics as part of their entourage. I can't find out why this is, but this is probably something obvious I'm missing or a bug in hardcoding.

I think you can still dump things at the Stilt while being hostile to Mechanimists. You just have to figure out a way to lose aggro somehow on the way in.

You want to be friends with the Mechanimists because it makes your life a lot easier during the main quest (especially since there's already three separate gently caress-yous that can happen before the end of Bethesda), and they're the easiest faction to build rep with.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 4, 2016

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A fun thing to do, if you are a tinker, is to craft a lot of laser rifles and convert them into Mechanimist reputation for 75 points a piece. You can build up such a surplus of reputation by doing that so that you can gain reputation with other factions by killing the random pink mechanimists you find in the wild.Seeing as how most pink enemies are hated by many factions, it basically means you can end up making strange friends pretty quickly. Hello neutral Robots faction, why yes I would like to raid the deathlands for all they are worth. Don't mind me chrome pyramids, I'm just taking these antimatter cells someone left around.

For throwing away a few high-tech rifles, the most visible religious organization in Qud is willing to look the other way while you kill some of their most celebrated priests. Qud is a messed up place.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 4, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I mean, probably a lot of Qud's factions would pretend not to notice if the insane genius tinker who dropped off a wheelbarrow full of advanced weaponry every other week decided to kill one of the interns

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I mean, probably a lot of Qud's factions would pretend not to notice if the insane genius tinker who dropped off a wheelbarrow full of advanced weaponry every other week decided to kill one of the interns

I've been playing psychometric tinkers all wrong...

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Back in The Day this was the description for the player character as well. :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

what's this poo poo do

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IronicDongz posted:

what's this poo poo do

Duplicates an item. Very, very good item.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
:prepop:
I don't think I actually have anything good enough to use that on.
Not that I would, but what happens if you use it on a canteen full of fresh water? Would it make another full canteen, or an empty one?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting there.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IronicDongz posted:

:prepop:
I don't think I actually have anything good enough to use that on.
Not that I would, but what happens if you use it on a canteen full of fresh water? Would it make another full canteen, or an empty one?

Canteen of water. You can use it on a phial of cloning fluid too, but be careful: there's a bug where if you drain one vial of the fluid, the other will empty too. The workaround is to combine them.

I think I reported that some time ago, but I'm just mentioning it again to be sure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Getting there.

Those crease marks are so goddamn sexy.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So I haven't played in a couple months, and was never great to begin with. What are some good basic builds, skill strategies, etc? Or sources for the same?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Axe turtle is nice and simple. Mutant marauder with carapace, freezing hands and whatever else you want to stuff in. Level axe skills and your two core mutations as points become available. Once freezing hands hits level 3 (I think) you should be able to keep most monsters frozen indefinitely so you can then go north from Joppa a few tiles and get easy levels from equimax mobs.

That's what I did for easy starts last summer anyway. Skills may have been changed since then, I haven't played much and can't say. Other fun things are full on espers, true kin syzygyriors, and crazy wasteland cult messiah with dominate, beguile and the persuasion skills. Water merchants are a handy mutant class too because they break the economy, and everybody should take basic tinker skills to make grenades.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think you can get away with taking Psychometry instead of Dominate on Wasteland Messiah builds, now - supposedly there's a new command for giving items to followers, allowing you to outfit them without having to use Dominate. Combined with good Intelligence, this could permit a sort of Gunsmith Messiah build.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Question time, just breezed through Bethesda Susa (thank god the mechanimists have heating) with an agi mod of +10 do I get any benefit from putting more points into it? I feel like it already exceeds the damage cap from my gear though I'm not totally clear on how that math works. I guess I get more DV... Not sure what else I would put points into, Toughness probably isn't worth it, maybe bring Ego to 16 so I can stick all those points in Time Dilation.

Also I've noticed I get temperature resist from the face slot of my second head but no resist or Ego bonuses from the head itself. This sucks since the extra equipment slot is 90% of that mutation to me.

Now I have to decide whether to spec into gunslinging with my newly aquired laser pistols or get the 75% block and two blocks per turn shield skills so I can add 2 AV against the 10% of attacks that hit me. Gunslinging is the more fun option but I already have an Eigenrifle and what more do you really need in the shooting department.
I'm thinking way too hard about this considering how broken just being a shortblader is but I'm having a lot of fun with this run. I got really bored playing nothing but freeze hand time clone characters but now that I've quit that crutch the game is interesting again. It helps that I didn't autopilot suicide on king magma crabs like I did with... three characters in a row recently.

The last time I beat the game the Tomb of the Eaters failed to generate and the final quest was the banana grove so I'm excited to hopefully not die in the endgame.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Bonus from some earlier runs where I was playing like an idiot refining my freeze axe bashlord: I was getting pretty salty because I wasn't finding my usual bounty of steel in the underground tunnel and there was a slumberling on every other level of red rock on all three runs I did that evening. To be fair I only ever die to slumberlings because I want that sweet 525 exp but it was a little silly. On my third character I quickly stopped complaining when I reached the end of the underground river and found the loving Ur-slumberling.

I was smart enough not to go if the vibrokhopesh was an axe well... who knows?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

It's a long blade.

You can tell because Saad Amus has every long blade skill unlocked, and uses them all to ream you directly in the pooper if you try to melee him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

Bonus from some earlier runs where I was playing like an idiot refining my freeze axe bashlord: I was getting pretty salty because I wasn't finding my usual bounty of steel in the underground tunnel and there was a slumberling on every other level of red rock on all three runs I did that evening. To be fair I only ever die to slumberlings because I want that sweet 525 exp but it was a little silly. On my third character I quickly stopped complaining when I reached the end of the underground river and found the loving Ur-slumberling.

TBH the Sky-Bear isn't very tough and your fake there doesn't have the dangerous bit. He's fast and has a lot of health but his AV is nothing to write home about and his weapon only scares turtles (the damage isn't too scary otherwise since it's unlikely to penetrate more than once, but it will penetrate anything). A carbine will put him down in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The really nasty thing about Saad-Amus Classic is that he's quite good with that vibrosword and really drat hard to disengage from thanks to his jetpack, so once you're in melee with him, he's going to start hurting you and never stop until one of you dies. Beefy endurance-focused melee characters or flighty hit-and-run ranged types can have real trouble with him, as can wimpy nerd espers who misstep and get hit with a jetpack charge. At that point it's often just a furious damage race unless you have some means of forcing him away from you.

That said, even without the jetpack, Saad-Amus seems fairly threatening just by virtue of his ability to reliably injure anyone he can get his hands on. Some characters can probably walk over him, but if you run into one of the clones and you're not sure whether you can take him, I recommend taking note of his location and coming back later. He hits consistently for reasonable damage that cannot be mitigated, so unless you have a good Plan B prepared, a brief run of bad luck can turn into a death by a thousand cuts.

A DV-stacking triple-jointed dagger chupacabra could probably slaughter him though.