Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BvS is what, Superman 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

BvS is what, Superman 7?

Batman 8/superman 7. Let's be accurate here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Except to call The Incredible Hulk "Hulk 2" is to imply that it is part of the same series as Lee's Hulk. Which it isn't. The two are completely different films in completely different continuities and universes.

actually you'll find that they both exist in this universe and continuity.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Except to call The Incredible Hulk "Hulk 2" is to imply that it is part of the same series as Lee's Hulk. Which it isn't. The two are completely different films in completely different continuities and universes.

You realize that the only reason he does it is to try and bait people and you're taking the bait and giving him exactly what he wants, don't you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Incredible Hulk is a sequel to Hulk in the same way that Unforgiven is a sequel to The Good, The Bad & The Ugly or any other given Clint Eastwood western.

Legally or whatever, no, it's not a sequel. However it's very much aware that Hulk is a movie that viewers of The Incredible Hulk have likely seen, and that it could be read as a possible backstory to the movie you're watching... Much in the same way that you could read William Munny as one of the possible futures of The Man With No Name.

Another way of saying this is that it is intertextuality more than continuity.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There isn't a movie literally called Hulk 2. There is Hulk and it's sequel, The Incredible Hulk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

There isn't a movie literally called Hulk 2. There is Hulk and it's sequel, The Incredible Hulk.

And again you're wrong here. Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to Hulk. It is a reboot for the character and is the first (and so far only) Hulk entry in the MCU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

And again you're wrong here. Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to Hulk. It is a reboot for the character and is the first (and so far only) Hulk entry in the MCU

The people in front and behind the camera have all changed, but the story and characters have not. The only thing that has changed is that the Hulk has become "Incredible."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

The people in front and behind the camera have all changed, but the story and characters have not. The only thing that has changed is that the Hulk has become "Incredible."

Except the story is not a sequel to Hulk. Incredible Hulk is a completely separate story in a different continuity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

jivjov posted:

It must be really depressing being trapped in a world where Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's books are objectively inseparable from Dune.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

jivjov posted:

Except the story is not a sequel to Hulk. Incredible Hulk is a completely separate story in a different continuity.

In fact, there are several continuities even within Hulk (2003) itself. For instance, the scenes in which Hulk battles Zzzax are in a separate continuity from those in which he battles The Absorbing Man. These are both in a separate continuity from the remainder of the film, of course.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

We've been over this. Incredible Hulk picks up after Bruce Banner ends up in South America at the end of Ang Lee's Hulk. If The Incredible Hulk had spent time showing a radically different origin story and had Hulk fight his electricity dad again, then your argument would hold more water. Instead, we see have a quick recap of his origin, which doesn't contradict anything shown in Hulk, and he moves on with a new antagonist. Thunderbolt Ross decides that he can't stop Hulk by using family, so he creates a new Hulk instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hodgepodge posted:

It must be really depressing being trapped in a world where Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's books are objectively inseparable from Dune.

I've not ever experienced any Dune, unfortunately.

Shanty posted:

In fact, there are several continuities even within Hulk (2003) itself. For instance, the scenes in which Hulk battles Zzzax are in a separate continuity from those in which he battles The Absorbing Man. These are both in a separate continuity from the remainder of the film, of course.

Having only seen Ang Lee's Hulk once, many years ago, I'll have to take your word for it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ang Lee's Hulk is a stealth kaiju film. Very underappreciated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

We've been over this. Incredible Hulk picks up after Bruce Banner ends up in South America at the end of Ang Lee's Hulk. If The Incredible Hulk had spent time showing a radically different origin story and had Hulk fight his electricity dad again, then your argument would hold more water. Instead, we see have a quick recap of his origin, which doesn't contradict anything shown in Hulk, and he moves on with a new antagonist. Thunderbolt Ross decides that he can't stop Hulk by using family, so he creates a new Hulk instead.

Except The Incredible Hulk is in a completely different continuity to Lee's Hulk. The fact that Incredible Hulk starts in South America is no more relevant to the continuity placement than Lou Ferrrigno's appearance or the use of the sad piano music.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

jivjov posted:

I've not ever experienced any Dune, unfortunately.

I'd recommend the first book at least. Maybe move on to Children of Dune before Dune Messiah; Messiah can be a bit of a depressing slog since Herbert decided to deconstruct the first book as his sequel.

The movie is okay, but feels really rushed in places.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really glad I never watched either Hulk film.

quote:

I'd recommend the first book at least. Maybe move on to Children of Dune before Dune Messiah; Messiah can be a bit of a depressing slog since Herbert decided to deconstruct the first book as his sequel.

The movie is okay, but feels really rushed in places.

Messiah's super short so I'd read Dune, Messiah, and Children, then if you really want more and to see them get weirder with it read God-Emperor (which still has the funniest bit of a book I've ever read). Chapterhouse and Heretics of Dune aren't especially good in retrospect and I'd give them a pass, they just get kind of dumb.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honestly i really wouldn't say that Hulk 2 is a Sequel to Hulk 1. It mostly uses the first hulk as reference material .

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Except The Incredible Hulk is in a completely different continuity to Lee's Hulk. The fact that Incredible Hulk starts in South America is no more relevant to the continuity placement than Lou Ferrrigno's appearance or the use of the sad piano music.

It's as different as the continuity between Batman Returns and Batman Forever.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

computer parts posted:

A mixture of Sturgeon's Law and that Marvel seems to draw from the TV Director pool.

I just finished Jessica Jones and that was filmed in a more satisfying way than anything in the MCU and that just makes me sad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cavelcade posted:

I just finished Jessica Jones and that was filmed in a more satisfying way than anything in the MCU and that just makes me sad.

But Jessica Jones is part of the MCU?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

But Jessica Jones is part of the MCU?

:cripes:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really glad I never watched either Hulk film.

The first one is a top-tier comic book movie. Absolutely worth checking out. The second one starts pretty good but goes to poo poo at the end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

The first one is a top-tier comic book movie. Absolutely worth checking out. The sequel starts pretty good but goes to poo poo at the end.

Ang Lee's Hulk never received a sequel.

If you are referring to the MCU's The Incredible Hulk, I could agree with that assessment. All the stuff with Bruce on the run, up through meeting up with Leader Mr. Blue is pretty good. The final fight seems to lack something I can't quite put my finger on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk never received a sequel.

I understand you're feeling persecuted about this, but if you look at my post, you'll clearly see I called it "the second one," not a "sequel." There's no need to expand this witch hunt to include me when I'm just talking about the movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

I understand you're feeling persecuted about this, but if you look at my post, you'll clearly see I called it "the second one," not a "sequel." There's no need to expand this witch hunt to include me when I'm just talking about the movies.

You ninja edited it then, because when I quoted your post, it said sequel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

You ninja edited it then, because when I quoted your post, it said sequel.

I think I'd remember that.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Incredible Hulk assumes that you know Hulk's origin story, not that you've seen the Hulk film specifically.

Whether it means you know it through watching Hulk, the old TV show, or reading the comic books is entirely up to you. At no point during making it did they gave any thought whatsoever to linking it to Ang Lee's film.

It's a ridiculous loving argument, I think we can all agree on that. But let's just say that the Incredible Hulk is canon with the idea of the Hulk as a fictional character, and that the viewer has some familiarity with him.

I've made it as stupid as possible. Hope that helps.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think I'd remember that.

Well, do note that the post I quoted says "sequel". At some point, you posted "sequel"

Whether you edited it or a moderator did, it at some point said "sequel". Which is a thing that Ang Lee's Hulk film does not have.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jesus jivjov did you seriously doctor someone's post to continue dogging everyone in this thread about this super petty crap?

jivjov posted:

Well, do note that the post I quoted says "sequel". At some point, you posted "sequel"

Whether you edited it or a moderator did, it at some point said "sequel". Which is a thing that Ang Lee's Hulk film does not have.

Or the person who has been harassing everyone all day about this stuff altered the quote....

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Captain America: Civil War is in-continuity with the two pre-MCU Cap movies, making it technically the fifth film in the series. The 1944 serial and 1990 film are both "in-universe" works, one reflecting the cover story of Captain America, the other one revealing the "truth" after the existence of the Red Skull was declassified.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I love the theory that a moderator showed up, edited my post to read "sequel" just to gently caress with jivjov, then edited it back still in time to avoid the "someone edited this post" note at the bottom once jivjov had quoted it. Frankly, if GonSmithe pulled that off, CineD mod for life.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Quote this if you believe in a shadowy entity beyond our human understanding that edits posts in order to gaslight jivjov about continuity

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Jesus jivjov did you seriously doctor someone's post to continue dogging everyone in this thread about this super petty crap?

No, I just pressed Quote

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brainiac Five posted:

Captain America: Civil War is in-continuity with the two pre-MCU Cap movies, making it technically the fifth film in the series. The 1944 serial and 1990 film are both "in-universe" works, one reflecting the cover story of Captain America, the other one revealing the "truth" after the existence of the Red Skull was declassified.

It is the fifth Captain America movie by virtue of him being major parts in both Avengers films.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Incredible Hulk assumes that you know Hulk's origin story, not that you've seen the Hulk film specifically.

Whether it means you know it through watching Hulk, the old TV show, or reading the comic books is entirely up to you. At no point during making it did they gave any thought whatsoever to linking it to Ang Lee's film.

It's a ridiculous loving argument, I think we can all agree on that. But let's just say that the Incredible Hulk is canon with the idea of the Hulk as a fictional character, and that the viewer has some familiarity with him.

I've made it as stupid as possible. Hope that helps.
Hulk ends with him in South America. Incredible Hulk begins with him in South America. It's not a coincidence that he's in South America. Yeah, it's supposed to be different for people who give a poo poo about continuity and close enough to a sequel for people who don't give a poo poo.

computer parts posted:

It is the fifth Captain America movie by virtue of him being major parts in both Avengers films.
It's easier for me to accept 2003 Banner and 2008 Banner are the same guy than it is for me to fully accept that the Cap in Avengers is the same as the one in the Captain America film series.

You're telling me this goober is the same guy who smirked, "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" facing down the Red Skull or wrecked a bunch of guys in an elevator and then jumped out a window like thirty stories?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is why "Canon" is a trap. Because it boxes in your thinking so that instead of going "Neat" at the Hulk movie starting where the previous left off despite not being "technically" a sequel, you spend pages arguing that they have nothing to do with each other.

Free yourself from the illusion of canon. Accept that both movies exist and are connected.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
That might be the worst costume in film history.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is why "Canon" is a trap. Because it boxes in your thinking so that instead of going "Neat" at the Hulk movie starting where the previous left off despite not being "technically" a sequel, you spend pages arguing that they have nothing to do with each other.

Free yourself from the illusion of canon. Accept that both movies exist and are connected.

Seven Degrees of MCU: All films are in their universe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Guy A. Person posted:

Or the person who has been harassing everyone all day about this stuff altered the quote....

Regardless, certainly proves that jivjov is pedantic to a fault as people have been pointing out. :v:

• Locked thread