Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

Words about dream golf job..

God drat dude that's awesome and I think any one of us would give up our day job to do this. If you guys expand to Orlando let me know :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Or if you open a branch in... upstate NY :saddowns:

Congrats though that sounds really cool and best of luck with the business! Knowing what some people spend for a PXG or Cool Clubs fitting, I'd imagine being able to say that you have the most precise and data-driven bay in the country should bring in plenty of customers.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Glad I found this thread. I've been averaging around 85 this year but my schedule this summer is allowing me to get in 4 rounds a week. My goal is to break 80 for the first time since I played on the golf team in highschool.

I'm currently using 2006 big Bertha irons which are game improvement irons. I've been hitting a lot of different irons on the simulator and I think I'm in love with the callaway XR pro irons they feel great and I was carrying the 6i 180 yards according to the GC2 and not really going after it because I didn't have a glove on. I worry that the shorter irons being long also will open up weird gaps in my bag though. The numbers are better than the regular XRs so I think I'm ready to get rid of my chunky GI irons but I'm hesitant to make the switch. I game a jet speed driver with a stiff shaft cut down and a Nike covert 3 wood that I like.

As for wedges talk I bought a 50, 54, and 60 degree callaway MD3 wedges about a month ago and have been liking them.

Also I'm leaving Friday for myrtle beach for a week and will be bringing my clubs and going with a group of guys that all golf, we plan to play everyday. Any courses that are a must play? So far were playing Arcadian shores Saturday and have a tee time at the course with the different holes from the PGA tour, I think it's MB national? Someone else made the tee time.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 2, 2016

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Paul Proteus posted:

I might suggest the group lessons at the Skokie sports park. They won't get you too far, but i got some basic tweaks and it was like 100 for four lessons. I thought they were well worth it. They have more advanced group lessons after the intro ones that assume cover more, but I didnt get to take them.

This summer, finances are tight. All extra cash has to go into the house. Next summer, I will fine a pro I like and go hog wild. For now, just gonna film myself and do YouTube videos of exercises on the transition portion of the backswing and release. If I can just figure out how to rotate without leading with my hands, 90% of my golf problems go away

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

dangling pointer posted:

Also I'm leaving Friday for myrtle beach for a week and will be bringing my clubs and going with a group of guys that all golf, we plan to play everyday. Any courses that are a must play? So far were playing Arcadian shores Saturday and have a tee time at the course with the different holes from the PGA tour, I think it's MB national? Someone else made the tee time.

When I was a kid my dad and I played The Wizard and Man o' War. I remember them being fun, though that was 20 years ago.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

Knowing what some people spend for a PXG or Cool Clubs fitting, I'd imagine being able to say that you have the most precise and data-driven bay in the country should bring in plenty of customers.

The whole PXG thing is crazy. We probably sell a set of their irons every day for $3K+. I get at least 5 calls a day from customers asking if we have them. Some guy actually came in yesterday and dropped $2.5K cash to take the demo set we had hanging up on the wall home with him on the spot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

I'm currently using 2006 big Bertha irons which are game improvement irons. I've been hitting a lot of different irons on the simulator and I think I'm in love with the callaway XR pro irons they feel great and I was carrying the 6i 180 yards according to the GC2 and not really going after it because I didn't have a glove on. I worry that the shorter irons being long also will open up weird gaps in my bag though. The numbers are better than the regular XRs so I think I'm ready to get rid of my chunky GI irons but I'm hesitant to make the switch.
The XR Pro is still very forgiving iron, akin to the Titleist AP1.

As for having larger gaps at the bottom of the bag, that's 100% what happens. The XR Pro 6 iron is 2* strong than your Big Bertha 2006 which is half a club, but the PW is 45* so you might be okay with a 50* gap wedge.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

dangling pointer posted:

Hmm pretty sure a buddy of mine is doing his yearly Myrtle Beach golf outing this weekend too. Usually he goes with like 10-15 other guys and they'll play 4 times, best score wins some pot they all throw in on. They're all around 0-5 handicap players though and one of them played on the Web.com tour for a season. Not sure if that's you guys though. I've lived in the Carolina's for 12 years and I have never been to Myrtle Beach before. I hear that if you have a local address (rent a house or live there etc.) they give a resident discount on almost every course that is around 15 dollars cheaper per-round than what they charge tourists.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

We also have a group of about 10 guys, doesn't sound like its the same group as your buddy though, the group I'm going with are mostly cops. They've been going down for a few years but this is my first time going with them, they are handling all the tee times. I'm playing by myself Saturday though since they normally don't play Saturday and take Wednesday off.

We are staying in a condo, I'll ask them if they ever tried to get the local rates.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

The whole PXG thing is crazy. We probably sell a set of their irons every day for $3K+. I get at least 5 calls a day from customers asking if we have them. Some guy actually came in yesterday and dropped $2.5K cash to take the demo set we had hanging up on the wall home with him on the spot.

If I won the Powerball or something like that I'd probably do a buddy's trip PXG Experience, it sounds like a bunch of fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

If I won the Powerball or something like that I'd probably do a buddy's trip PXG Experience, it sounds like a bunch of fun.
Might as well go Miura if you're going to go all out.

The Titleist fitting experience might actually be best based on their offerings, especially if you add in the Scotty Cameron Studio.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Might as well go Miura if you're going to go all out.

The Titleist fitting experience might actually be best based on their offerings, especially if you add in the Scotty Cameron Studio.

The guy who bought the PXG demo set had just sold his set of Miuras to a random guy he met on the course earlier that day. $3K cash on the spot. I guess if you're walking around with that much cash in your pocket it's not a big deal.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah that's nuts. My Bridgestones are forged and feel just as good as the Miuras I've taken swings with, and my set was $280.

The PXG thing is especially funny because of how much they stress custom fittings, and you still have people dropping crazy sums on sets they've never hit and expecting miracles.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah that's nuts. My Bridgestones are forged and feel just as good as the Miuras I've taken swings with, and my set was $280.

The PXG thing is especially funny because of how much they stress custom fittings, and you still have people dropping crazy sums on sets they've never hit and expecting miracles.

The vast majority of golfers are well enough off money wise that they dont need to worry about dropping a couple grand to take a chance on a set of clubs that may or may not shave off a stroke or two.

Then you get poor casual scum like me that buy the last years demo clubs during sales. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol that PXG's tour iron still have a 46* loft and 39.5" 3 iron.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
With this talk of fittings, has any one been fit for a putter before? Do you feel it made a noticeable difference?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unknownmass posted:

With this talk of fittings, has any one been fit for a putter before? Do you feel it made a noticeable difference?
I believe Omerta did one and loved it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Unknownmass posted:

I would love to do a proper putter fitting with lasers: one to check my face alignment at address, and one to check it at impact.

I putt using a line on my ball, but I bet the laser would show I'm often not even aiming the ball correctly before I place the putter behind it.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Getting a legit putter fitting is as important as being fit for the rest of your clubs, if not more so. Going through a SAM fitting (the laser one) will definitely show you just how bad your alignment is and it measures a ton of other useful data points about your stroke (length, tempo, arc, ...etc.) and help determine what style, length, weight putter is best for you.

Problem with SAM is that it's a bitch to set up properly and it takes a really good fitter to know how to use the data.

Edel has a whole different putter fitting process that uses all kinds of weights and other devices to let the fitter build a putter that's made exactly for your existing stroke. It's time consuming and their putters are crazy expensive but everyone I know who's done it has loved the results.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hey guys I got a new toy!

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid. I was hitting one last week and loved it so much, so today I caved in and picked a used one up for $110 Canadian funbux. I think the guy played 10 rounds with it so aside from the little scuff on top it was in perfect shape and I think I got a pretty good deal. :toot:

Also got a box of Bridgestone e6 balls on sale for $25 so Im all ready for the weekend. :dance:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

Hey guys I got a new toy!

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid. I was hitting one last week and loved it so much, so today I caved in and picked a used one up for $110 Canadian funbux. I think the guy played 10 rounds with it so aside from the little scuff on top it was in perfect shape and I think I got a pretty good deal. :toot:

Also got a box of Bridgestone e6 balls on sale for $25 so Im all ready for the weekend. :dance:

Did you order it from the Canadian shop owner on Reddit? I got some pretty good deals from this guy: A CG 15 wedge and a Bio Cell hybrid (also orange) for $97 shipped.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

Did you order it from the Canadian shop owner on Reddit? I got some pretty good deals from this guy: A CG 15 wedge and a Bio Cell hybrid (also orange) for $97 shipped.

I didnt even know there was a Canadian shop owner on Reddit! But no, I bought it off another member at the course I play at. He is the golfer that has like 3 full golf bags in his car because he is always impulse buying new things to try and then sells a bunch of stuff off cheap because he ran out of room. Nice guy, good golfer, bad impulse control. :v:

I think Im going to replace my 3I with it and carry a 4H and 4I for now. My bag is starting to look pretty random and I love it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hah, the CBS coverage of the Memorial quit at 6:15 for the local news, right in the middle of the second playoff hole. You'd think that since it was pre-recorded earlier today they would have been able to condense the coverage a bit to end on time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Hah, the CBS coverage of the Memorial quit at 6:15 for the local news, right in the middle of the second playoff hole. You'd think that since it was pre-recorded earlier today they would have been able to condense the coverage a bit to end on time.

I got the full coverage. The tape delay apparently ended 8 minutes before real time. I'm not sure why they can't bump infomercials to show live sports though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I got the full coverage up here in Canuckistan. Might have just been the local station doing that to you. Also McGirt is such a hockey name, guy picked the wrong sport. And his first name isnt Dirt.

Shot 107 again today. Seems to be my peak until I cave in and get lessons. I am getting off the tee block so well and my second shot is typically pretty good, but anything inside 90 yards and Im basically the golfing equivalent of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Been playing for 4 years (excluding winters) and just caved and booked my first lesson. Got it down to a 12 on my own but I'm done banging my head against the wall.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My boy PReed with another Top 10. He's been playing really solid this season and keeping his head down. I fully believe he'll get another win before the season's done.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

ironlung posted:

Been playing for 4 years (excluding winters) and just caved and booked my first lesson. Got it down to a 12 on my own but I'm done banging my head against the wall.

Good move. Your story so far sounds pretty similar to mine.

I went from never touching a golf club to about a 12 in the first 18 months. I watched a lot of YouTube instruction and played/practiced a lot. Progress was nice and steady up until then before I hit a wall and went nowhere for 6 months.

I spent the next 6 months taking a handful of terrible lessons from bad instructors before I found the real deal - a badass golf instructor and a great fitness trainer who specialized in golf-specific fitness. Seeing them once every week or two for the next 6 months got me down to a 4-5 handicap.

You've already gotten yourself better at golf than most amateur golfers will ever be so you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if the guy you're taking lessons from is any good or not. Just ask lots of questions and if he can't explain why he's having you do a particular drill then just find someone else who can.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
After some courier shenanigans I finally got my Hoofer. Really impressed with the design, functionality and build quality. I ended up going with the 5 way top. Have to go away with the wife this weekend for her birthday so won't get a chance to get it on course for a fortnight but really looking forward to taking it out properly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A friend of mine now works at a golf course, which means whenever he plays, I get to play for free. It's a solid course too.

I wasn't going to get new shoes because I was still only playing one or twice a month, but now it's gonna be once or twice a week. So even though I don't need new shoes, at least they wouldn't just be sitting on the shelf.

Do I go with the white/red preferred by Masters champion Adam Scott?

Or the white/green preferred by Masters champion Danny Willett?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

A friend of mine now works at a golf course, which means whenever he plays, I get to play for free. It's a solid course too.

I wasn't going to get new shoes because I was still only playing one or twice a month, but now it's gonna be once or twice a week. So even though I don't need new shoes, at least they wouldn't just be sitting on the shelf.

Do I go with the white/red preferred by Masters champion Adam Scott?

Or the white/green preferred by Masters champion Danny Willett?

White/Green is cleaner looking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

White/Green is cleaner looking.
Yeah, I have to agree.

The funny thing is that when I first looked at buying these from November-January, I wanted the white/red but only the white/green was on sale.

Now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, I want the white/green but only the white/red are still in stock. :argh:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I have to agree.

The funny thing is that when I first looked at buying these from November-January, I wanted the white/red but only the white/green was on sale.

Now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, I want the white/green but only the white/red are still in stock. :argh:

I think DryJoy casuals of that model are being pushed out so they are on closeout sale everywhere. If you rock a 9.5 foot size the green/white is available at tgw.com, but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Ebay has a couple sellers with 1 or 2 in stock depending on foot size. I can never seem to get golf shoes on sales. I where a 12.5 and usually by the time things are on closeout all they have is like a 9 in stock.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Am I the only person that likes/buys obnoxiously colored golf shoes?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

I would if I were less fat.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

My last paid of nikes where black and neon green. Right now my foot joys are black and silver but when I'm ready for a new pair it's gonna be these.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I would if I were less fat.

Psh I'm fat and I wear the poo poo out of neon. 6'3" 240 lbs and dressed in neon green all day baby.

mattfl posted:

My last pair of Nikes where black and neon green. Right now my foot joys are black and silver but when I'm ready for a new pair it's gonna be these.

I think we're shoe twins cause my Asics are grey and neon green and I want those new ones for my next pair too.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Josh Lyman, get your rear end to a Ross.

Nike Lunar Control 3 (white/green and white/pink) are $30.

Source: /golf subreddit. I had no luck at my local Ross. I'm going to check 4 in Houston tomorrow morning.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 8, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, get your rear end to a Ross.

Nike Lunar Control 3 (white/green and white/pink) are $30.

Source: /golf subreddit. I had no luck at my local Ross. I'm going to check 4 in Houston tomorrow morning.
Oh. My. God. :stare:

I'm playing at 8:30am. Those fuckers are gonna buy everything out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BTW

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm