Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Apocron posted:

This video makes the whole situation with these people at the top of the mountain so real and terrifying. They really should have somebody to stop these people going up the mountain and killing themselves! Seeing the poor guy so close to dying and so oblivious really creeped me out.

stillvisions posted:

This video is a good demonstration of oxygen starvation in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

The guy is too far gone to even realize, when being directly told, that he's going to die if he doesn't put his mask back on. The video talks about using it as a method of execution because the person will die and be totally okay with it because they don't realize anything is wrong.

Is that Michael Portillo? Fantastic video though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dont know what i would have done if the summit was really close and my wife was done for anyway. Even if he had tried to go back it`s still likely she would have died. It may not have made any difference. Heck in her delerium she migth not even have noticed his absence as she lay there dying.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

AceRimmer posted:

Just got to the part of Everest Man v Mountain with the story of the guy on the North Face route who feel on another climber, breaking his leg, then ignored them and climbed further up the mountain to hit golf balls with a golf club off the face. :psyduck:
Anyone got more background on this story?

Guy worked for TaylorMade
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2974336.stm
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forum/Climbing_Information_C2/General_F23/American_climber_injures_Brit_on_Everest_P390418

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good job, American fatasses.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

corker2k posted:

Is that Michael Portillo? Fantastic video though.

yes. It's from a Horizon episode called "how to kill a human being" about the most (and least) humane methods of execution.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Had the vegan couple been more experienced, they would have survived.

Their experience would engage their good judgement and tell them to turn around :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Dude I work with summited Kilimanjaro a few years ago. Non technical hike, just high elevation with thin air and a lot of walking uphill.

One of the guys in his group brought a celebration cigar. He pulled it out, lit it up, and took a long drag. While grinning, he slumped over and passed out.

They all laughed their heads off and nearly passed out themselves. Guy was fine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think the person who coined the gimmick of the Seven Summits has a lot to answer for. It's a marketing collection of things that are not very much like each other.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the person who coined the gimmick of the Seven Summits has a lot to answer for. It's a marketing collection of things that are not very much like each other.

Well, they are supposed to be the highest peaks on continents..

It was a mountaineering goal, and a pretty storied and interesting one. Reinhold Messner was the first to complete them without supplemental oxygen, and there is nothing gimmicky about that achievement.

Still, a guy named Dick Bass was the first to complete (his list) and was an amateur mountaineer/rich guy so, uh..

Blame him.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Second Seven Summits are way cooler imho

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

canyoneer posted:

Dude I work with summited Kilimanjaro a few years ago. Non technical hike, just high elevation with thin air and a lot of walking uphill.

One of the guys in his group brought a celebration cigar. He pulled it out, lit it up, and took a long drag. While grinning, he slumped over and passed out.

They all laughed their heads off and nearly passed out themselves. Guy was fine

I've done Kili, and yeah it's something anyone with moderate physical fitness can do.

For reference, the summit is only a few hundred metres higher than Everest base camp (5895m vs 5390m).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We have a local version of the seven summits called the 11.000ers. While they're not high compared to the rest of the planet, their latitude makes them formidable as the tree line is at much lower altitude and it's all very young, craggy peaks from the really recently ended ice age. The good thing about them is that even thought they're true glaciated mountaineering summits, you can at least fuckin breathe when you get to the top.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Blitter posted:

Well, they [the Seven Summits] are supposed to be the highest peaks on continents..

It was a mountaineering goal, and a pretty storied and interesting one. Reinhold Messner was the first to complete them without supplemental oxygen, and there is nothing gimmicky about that achievement.

Still, a guy named Dick Bass was the first to complete (his list) and was an amateur mountaineer/rich guy so, uh..

Blame him.

I think you're confusing the Seven Summits that Bass climbed (the highest peak on each continent, even the bump in Australia) with the 8,000-ers (the 14 mountains over 8,000 meters; all in the Himalaya & Karakorum), which Messner was first to do without oxygen. And I think only four more have done since?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Chappers posted:

I think you're confusing the Seven Summits that Bass climbed (the highest peak on each continent, even the bump in Australia) with the 8,000-ers (the 14 mountains over 8,000 meters; all in the Himalaya & Karakorum), which Messner was first to do without oxygen. And I think only four more have done since?

Nah, they're separate lists (messner and bass's seven summits), and the 8K'ers are a whole other thing - only 15 have completed without supplemental oxygen, and yup, Reinhold was the first too.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Blitter posted:

Nah, they're separate lists (messner and bass's seven summits), and the 8K'ers are a whole other thing - only 15 have completed without supplemental oxygen, and yup, Reinhold was the first too.

From now on I'm just assuming that Messner has climbed every hill in existence...in winter.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

stillvisions posted:

This video is a good demonstration of oxygen starvation in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

The guy is too far gone to even realize, when being directly told, that he's going to die if he doesn't put his mask back on. The video talks about using it as a method of execution because the person will die and be totally okay with it because they don't realize anything is wrong.

So, this is interesting as it represents acute hypoxia. This is not the same thing as what you see when you are preparing for something like climbing Everest. As you become hypoxic, your body adjusts by upping your Hct and 2,3-BPG to compensate. Additionally, they can give someone a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (acetazolamide) to help compensate as well. With all that said, you do become unwell when hypoxic, and this is a very serious risk for people who don't acclimatize properly, but this is not really the same thing.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
if you can read german, an interview with someone who summited this year:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/fernweh/mount-everest-alle-standen-sich-im-weg-interview-mit-toni-stocker-a-1095316.html

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chappers posted:

From now on I'm just assuming that Messner has climbed every hill in existence...in winter.

without supplemental oxygen. In three hours. Round trip. Possibly also without ropes or crampons or using his hands.

Seriously, Messner and Ueli Steck are not human.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to see Ueli Steck speedclimb the Burj Khalifa.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Seems like a climber (who's blind in one eye!) sacrificed his summit attempt on the 21st to save the life of another climber who was sliding down the fixed lines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36437937

quote:

He was approaching an area nicknamed "The Balcony" - where climbing teams store spare oxygen bottles - when he noticed a "commotion" ahead of him.
"I noticed someone sliding down the fixed climbing lines towards me.
"All I could hear were the screams of terror as the person gained momentum. I braced myself to try and stop whoever it was, and managed to do so.
"At this time I didn't know that this was Sunita Hazra. I helped her upright and looked at her oxygen regulator. It was registering empty."
Mr Binns helped Ms Hazra recover and she attempted to continue her descent by herself, but collapsed after about 20 metres.
"It was at this point I decided to cancel my summit bid to help Sunita," Mr Binns said. He was about another 12 hours away from making the final ascent to the top.

A Good Person on Everest.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 2, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Aphex- posted:

Seems like a climber (who's blind in one eye!) sacrificed his summit attempt on the 21st to save the life of another climber who was sliding down the fixed lines.

There are no good people on everest. For all you know he just saved the next rich Hitler.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aphex- posted:

lmao look the pic of the Indian woman, side of effects of Everest including getting monster size hands.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Mr Binns, who now works in private security in oil fields in Iraq

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

kordansk posted:

So, this is interesting as it represents acute hypoxia. This is not the same thing as what you see when you are preparing for something like climbing Everest. As you become hypoxic, your body adjusts by upping your Hct and 2,3-BPG to compensate. Additionally, they can give someone a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (acetazolamide) to help compensate as well. With all that said, you do become unwell when hypoxic, and this is a very serious risk for people who don't acclimatize properly, but this is not really the same thing.

Oh I know it's not a fair comparison - I figured it'd at least illustrate how a climber can brain fart about having acetazolamide but not remembering it. While not at the "going to die and can't even recognize it" level people in the death zone are certainly suffering from some serious tunnel vision from lack of oxygen.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

etalian posted:

lmao look the pic of the Indian woman, side of effects of Everest including getting monster size hands.

everest deglovings itt

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Microwaves Mom posted:

There are no good people on everest. For all you know he just saved the next rich Hitler.

ChrisHansen posted:

quote:

Mr Binns, who now works in private security in oil fields in Iraq

ok i'm dumb i take it back. definitely not a good person.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Fallows posted:

everest deglovings itt

That's not really degloving and I suggest you don't google the term either

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

djssniper posted:

Yeah, nothing pretty about industrial degloving.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Aphex- posted:

ok i'm dumb i take it back. definitely not a good person.

Yeah odds are even that lady from India like beats and sodomizes her maids.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Oh I know it's not a fair comparison - I figured it'd at least illustrate how a climber can brain fart about having acetazolamide but not remembering it. While not at the "going to die and can't even recognize it" level people in the death zone are certainly suffering from some serious tunnel vision from lack of oxygen.

This is definitely a problem. Krakauer addressed it in his book if I recall. I haven't read it in a long time. It's actually really fascinating how narrow sited people get over climbing a dumb mountain and risk their lives and the lives of others just to say they've done it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

djssniper posted:

gently caress, gently caress, heed this advice.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Now do "penis degloving"! :haw:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Microwaves Mom posted:

Yeah odds are even that lady from India like beats and sodomizes her maids.

She's gonna find it way easier to beat her maids now with those massive hands.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Aphex- posted:

She's gonna find it way easier to beat her maids now with those massive hands.

I'd imagine she might cut a few of her poor maids hands off in vengeance.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

hahaha ahahaha you looked it up. Oh my god why did you look it up? Hahaha.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kordansk posted:

This is definitely a problem. Krakauer addressed it in his book if I recall. I haven't read it in a long time. It's actually really fascinating how narrow sited people get over climbing a dumb mountain and risk their lives and the lives of others just to say they've done it.

I just finished reading Ed Viesturs' The Mountain (really good, highly recommended) and he talks about how narrow views have caused people to do some really, really stupid things. Including himself! It's interesting to see how that focus changed him over the years. At the beginning he was so focused on a good climb he'd go a long distance to do whatever he could, such as running tens of loads through the Khumbu Icefield. Later he was like "I got kids, I'm doing the dangerous place once up once down, that's it."

He also talks about the pair of that, hallucinations, and points out extra climbers as a particularly common one. According to Viesturs, Reinhold Messner had a phantom double for most of his solo no-oxygen off-season ascent of Everest, which is batshit crazy. Viesturs even suggests that what gave Messner his edge is that he could handle hallucinations and the other issues so well and incorporate them into his strengths, instead of treating them as dangers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aphex- posted:

it should be noted that there was a second guy they were trying to save but physically didn't have the energy to drag him back. the guy even heard his voice from his tent but was too tired to go help after saving the women.

quote:

He says the descent was a perilous and difficult one, and on the way the three climbers found another man who was also struggling to descend, bringing him along with them.

Mr Binns said Ms Hazra and the other climber "kept collapsing", adding: "I fell into waist-deep crevasses no less than five times, which was very tiring, and we were also crossing blue ice which was very dangerous as we kept slipping."

Eventually he and Ms Hazra managed to reach his camp, but due to exhaustion and difficult weather conditions they were unable to bring the other climber along.

Mr Binns says that while in his tent he heard the other climber's voice in the distance "but I was too exhausted to go back out - I literally collapsed and fell asleep".

In the morning, Mr Binns learned the other climber had been found and taken to his team. Ms Hazra's Sherpa came to collect her and help her to continue down the mountain.

But when Mr Binns continued with his own descent that next day, he came across the body of the other climber, who had died during his journey downwards.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 3, 2016

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

djssniper posted:

Pretty sure in this case they just mean her glove came off her hand as she tumbled down the mountain and it got all gross and swollen from the cold, not the other type of degloving that leads to gross and swollen hands.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Arivia posted:

I just finished reading Ed Viesturs' The Mountain (really good, highly recommended) and he talks about how narrow views have caused people to do some really, really stupid things. Including himself! It's interesting to see how that focus changed him over the years. At the beginning he was so focused on a good climb he'd go a long distance to do whatever he could, such as running tens of loads through the Khumbu Icefield. Later he was like "I got kids, I'm doing the dangerous place once up once down, that's it."

He also talks about the pair of that, hallucinations, and points out extra climbers as a particularly common one. According to Viesturs, Reinhold Messner had a phantom double for most of his solo no-oxygen off-season ascent of Everest, which is batshit crazy. Viesturs even suggests that what gave Messner his edge is that he could handle hallucinations and the other issues so well and incorporate them into his strengths, instead of treating them as dangers.

Thanks for the recommendation on The Mountain. I think I will pick that up and read it during my break in a few weeks. That's interesting that he could actually incorporate the hallucinations into his own understanding of what was going on and use it to bolster his own strength.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
http://www.atlasandboots.com/seven-second-summits/

quote:

To this date, only one man has climbed all of the mountains above: Austrian mountaineer Christian Stangl who incidentally has also climbed the seven third summits as well, meaning he has climbed the first, second and third highest mountain on every continent, known as the triple seven summits. Epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

webmeister posted:

I've done Kili, and yeah it's something anyone with moderate physical fitness can do.

For reference, the summit is only a few hundred metres higher than Everest base camp (5895m vs 5390m).

Is the hike technically challenging? In that, are there any rocky/tricky sections where you need to do more than just walk forward?

I climbed Signal Knob (~2,100 ft) the other day so I think I now have more climbing experience than that dumb Canadian lady. Gonna achieve my day-old dream of climbing dying on Everest!

Aphex- posted:

imo, saving someone's life while climbing/hiking/etc is way more impressive an endeavor than getting to the summit and something that is way more impressive to brag about at cocktail parties.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 4, 2016