Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Missed opportunity not using photoshop to put Sinestro on that white piece of paper that says Bang Monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sinestro posted:

I used to use a 1U server as a media PC, sitting on a piece of wood in my living room. It certainly added an interesting sense to movies.

I sure hope it sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2P7p6VLlbo&t=7s

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mine only did this the first time, every other reboot has been pretty quiet. I have it in the utility room and you can't hear it over the fan for the air conditioner

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So I have an i5 3750k from a few years back, overclocked to ~3.8GHz (4.2GHz in turbo mode). I recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1080 and was wondering if I should do the same to my CPU. But all of the benchmarks tell me that there has been only marginal performance improvements on the CPU front. Having to upgrade my motherboard and RAM as well for a 10-15% performance boost doesn't seem like it would be worth it, no?

(Primary use cases are software development and 1440p gaming)

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 4, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Smol posted:

So I have an i5 3750k from a few years back, overclocked to ~3.8GHz (4.2GHz in turbo mode). I recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1080 and was wondering if I should do the same to my CPU. But all of the benchmarks tell me that there has been only marginal performance improvements on the CPU front. Having to upgrade my motherboard and RAM as well for a 10-15% performance boost doesn't seem like it would be worth it, no?

I mean, I think the difference between Ivy Bridge and Skylake is not the difference between unplayability and playability on any game out right now, and maybe not for 3 more years or so.

I've got a 3570k @ 4.4 and I can't really see myself ditching it at least until what comes after Kaby Lake and min-maxing my FPS counter doesn't bother me much.

There was a graph in the GpU thread about Fallout 4 @ 1440p that showed some fairly significant jumps in average FPS going from 4c/t to 4c/8t, but it was like 70-->80 fps, which to me is not the difference between playability and unplayability.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

There was a graph in the GpU thread about Fallout 4 @ 1440p that showed some fairly significant jumps in average FPS going from 4c/t to 4c/8t, but it was like 70-->80 fps, which to me is not the difference between playability and unplayability.
IIRC Fallout 4 is very sensitive to RAM speed most of all. Going from 1333 MHz to 2400 MHz yielding something ridiculous like +30-50% FPS in 1080p (when not GPU-bound).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the current verdict on the 5775c? For a games box to add vive to later on. I'm only going to use a single graphics card. Thanks thread.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

wipeout posted:

What's the current verdict on the 5775c? For a games box to add vive to later on. I'm only going to use a single graphics card. Thanks thread.

I have one, it works well for gaming but I'm not playing anything that's CPU limited, I don't think. However, unless you already have a H/Z97 board and DDR3, you're probably better off getting Skylake and faster RAM which will keep your minimum frame rates up.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Smol posted:

I'm using one too and I'm waiting to see what Zen offers before deciding if I'm going to replace it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have one, it works well for gaming but I'm not playing anything that's CPU limited, I don't think. However, unless you already have a H/Z97 board and DDR3, you're probably better off getting Skylake and faster RAM which will keep your minimum frame rates up.

Thanks. I've been looking for, but can't find, good benchmarks looking at min fps in games. I'd like to compare the 6700k, 5820k. Don't suppose the hive mind can help?

I'm also wondering if more cores are going to end up more useful for dx12 as time goes by.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

wipeout posted:

Thanks. I've been looking for, but can't find, good benchmarks looking at min fps in games. I'd like to compare the 6700k, 5820k. Don't suppose the hive mind can help?

I'm also wondering if more cores are going to end up more useful for dx12 as time goes by.

It's really too rare to say. Even futuremark doesn't let you search their benchmarks by their that processor like you would a 4790k. My set up runs non-OCed RAM since I'm on h97, so it's not even the best example of what a 5775c can do. I didn't even plan on buying one of these but I saw an SA-mart thread for it at a good price.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Been thinking about replacing my 2500k in the near future which means having to get a new motherboard with a new socket.

Should I just assume that I will have to replace my mobo every time I upgrade my CPU (infrequently), how long can I expect the LGA1151 to still be compatible with new CPUs? I'm still on my first custom PC (which is about 4 years old now) so I'm not really aware of how often this kind of stuff changes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sout posted:

Been thinking about replacing my 2500k in the near future which means having to get a new motherboard with a new socket.

Should I just assume that I will have to replace my mobo every time I upgrade my CPU (infrequently), how long can I expect the LGA1151 to still be compatible with new CPUs? I'm still on my first custom PC (which is about 4 years old now) so I'm not really aware of how often this kind of stuff changes.
Sockets use to last a while, especially for AMD, but now, they last about 3 years.

LGA1151 will support Skylake, Kaby Lake, and Cannonlake. Canonlake won't come until the 2nd half of 2017, possibly later.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seems like an overclocked 2500k is great for most things right now, it's generally the motherboard lacking new technology, DDR4, USB3, SATA, and PCI Lanes!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Jago posted:

Seems like an overclocked 2500k is great for most things right now, it's generally the motherboard lacking new technology, DDR4, USB3, SATA, and PCI Lanes!

Yeah, I wasn't sure about upgrading immediately, it's definitely lower on my list than a GPU.
I'm currently at 4.0GHz and that seems fine but I know people have pushed it way further.
I've not really done any significant stress testing, but did notice that the temps were getting hotter than I liked at higher multipliers (over 80C) without voltage tweaking. So if I'm to push it any further I should probably get myself a better cooler.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Hyper 212's work so well for their price!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I had mine up to 4.6 with one.

We've been talking about CPU throttling games, my favorite is World of Tanks! I had a wacky crash or something one day and didn't load the right BIOS profile. My 2550k (2500k sans igpu) was at stock clocks and I was blown away! Game was running so terribly I thought my computer was broken! Cranked it back up and it runs great!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're crazy about noise like me it's still nearly as quiet as a D15 while at slightly slower clock speeds. I recently gave away an old 2500K machine and in doing do I had to replace the D15 with a 212 so I could move the D15 to my new machine. I went from 4.6 on the D15 to 4.3 on the 212 for around the same temperatures and noise level. A very good heatsink all around as long as you're not trying for the limits of silence or clock speed, the only thing to watch out for is it's famously annoying to install, but you do that once and then it sits there forever.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks all, the 212 was the name I kept hearing when I was researching coolers for the 2500k myself, so that's a good sign.

I do have a non-stock cooler already, which has dual fans.
It seems like a good system because the left fan blows air directly to the rear exhaust, but the 212 seems to blow air only towards the intake fan. I guess there's also the style that blows directly towards the left panel.
I don't doubt either is more effective but I just wonder what the reasoning is.

I'll pick up a 212 because it's like £20 or whatever, so even if it's not much better than my current cooler no harm done.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Does anyone else have hard data on the performance differences between 970(Superclocked) to 1080GTX on a 6700k. I don't have to upgrade immediately as DOOM is my most intense game right now and I only have a 1080 monitor, but I did build this skylake machine as soon as I got wind of the 1080, in preparation for VR.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

sout posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about upgrading immediately, it's definitely lower on my list than a GPU.
I'm currently at 4.0GHz and that seems fine but I know people have pushed it way further.
I've not really done any significant stress testing, but did notice that the temps were getting hotter than I liked at higher multipliers (over 80C) without voltage tweaking. So if I'm to push it any further I should probably get myself a better cooler.

Do you have pushpins then? Is there a way to see on your case from the other side if they are fully engaged?
One of my pushpins in the stock cooler was not and it was the difference between 88c and 60c with a hearty 800 MHz from 3.3 stock overclock, (as I said with stock cooler)

I have a pretty nice air cool case though ft02 Silverstone

Edit: what did your 2500k cost if you remember? I got mine 4 years ago on black Friday/Cyber Monday and price matched some UK retailer or something for 79 dollars, pretty nice that it's kept up except for cache and ddr4 support.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 5, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

galahan posted:

Edit: what did your 2500k cost if you remember? I got mine 4 years ago on black Friday/Cyber Monday and price matched some UK retailer or something for 79 dollars, pretty nice that it's kept up except for cache and ddr4 support.

This is some crazy exploitative price match bullshit, most of us paid ~$200 for our 2500Ks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

This is some crazy exploitative price match bullshit, most of us paid ~$200 for our 2500Ks.

Especially weird that a UK retailer would beat US prices on Black Friday.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It may have been the reverse :science

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can orient both the cooler and the fans in any direction.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Did they see £79 and just assume that's the same as $79?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ohgodwhat posted:

I've seen slickdealers pull poo poo like this off where they basically run a price match scam and get something for 1/4 of its wholesale price.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

Could also be the UK site offers US dollar prices (probably with a hefty shipping cost tacked on, but which the store would ignore),

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So from what I can tell, upgrading from a 2600k to a 6700k will give me a marginal increase in performance, especially considering that my 2600k is overclocked. That said, it actually grew unstable at 4.5ghz over time, and I had to back down to around 1.3v 4.3GHz. That, combined with cheap DDR4 and newer motherboard features, is making me think about moving forward to Skylake.

Do you think it'd be fine for me to reuse my Corsair H50 as the cooler? Or should I get something new? I've had it since this computer was built in 2011.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do you think it'd be fine for me to reuse my Corsair H50 as the cooler? Or should I get something new? I've had it since this computer was built in 2011.

I'm a little leery about recommending use of AIOs beyond about 5 years. Leaks get more likely as the system ages and materials get old, brittle, and fatigued. Is an extra $60 for another H50 going to kill you?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Age is certainly a detriment, there. I will say that my load temp on a H110 with my 6700k at stock is like 35*C max, so water is still worth it, but you might wanna consider upgrading to ensure you don't have issues, while you're in there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm a little leery about recommending use of AIOs beyond about 5 years. Leaks get more likely as the system ages and materials get old, brittle, and fatigued. Is an extra $60 for another H50 going to kill you?

No, but I only really picked it up because it was 40 bucks on sale. And I feel like if I'm getting a new cooler, I may as well get a jump start on my water cooling future.

SuperDucky posted:

Age is certainly a detriment, there. I will say that my load temp on a H110 with my 6700k at stock is like 35*C max, so water is still worth it, but you might wanna consider upgrading to ensure you don't have issues, while you're in there.

I guess I'll take a look at something new. How're those coolers that are expandable?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just do a custom loop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

Just do a custom loop.

Do we have a thread for that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Do we have a thread for that?

Not sure, but have a pretty comprehensive "beginners" guide:

https://choosemypc.net/wcguide/

You'll get to about halfway down the page and your eyes will glaze over.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I was curious and looked up my Newegg order for my 2500k system.

Order was placed 12/3/2011:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That got me looking up mine, $219CAD in November 2011. What a ridiculously good value that has been, man.

Think I'll wait til the fall to make it an even 5 years and then get a Kaby Lake system.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I bought my 3750k system exactly four years ago. I kind of want to upgrade it, but what's the point, since CPU performance has all but peaked. :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I coughed up £158.91 in October 2011 for my 2500K. Still going strong...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got mine for about $150 earlier this year. A complete PC, that is, as an upgrade for a C2Q system. Still running strong with a GTX650 Ti Boost :v:

Aanyway looks like Intel's hosed now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I know how to apply thermal paste is a hot, strongly debated issue (or something), but I'm curious about the process of removing old thermal paste before applying this new cooler.
The general advice is to use some sort of alcohol and wipes, what's good/cheap for this?
Also if I'm using an anti-static wristband with stuff outside of the case what do I clip it onto?