Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anti-Hero posted:

Honestly, if you don't notice the BLB don't go looking for it.

This is good advice, I have a tiny bit of bleed in the corner of my screen and I only started noticing it once I put up a solid black image and went looking for it, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wish they made this flat and higher resolution...

http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/c3583fq%252Fbs

I like MVA more than IPS just because the glow is so loving distracting when I'm watching movies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That size ultrawide benefits from a curve unless you intend to have multiple people share it or something. It's a gimmick on TVs but pretty great on monitors.

The resolution? You, me and everyone else.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Am I missing something, or is there something wrong with the 4k XB271HK over the 1440p XB271HU?

The reviews i'm seeing tell me the colour calibration is actually better on the 4k version, and for some reason the 4k version actually appears to be cheaper?!

1440p - http://bit.ly/1srGRd1
4k - http://bit.ly/1P9OiKy

I'm not in love with how the monitor looks (Too Gamey) but the price/performance seems quite good to me. I didn't even think there were 4k IPS G-sync's that didn't cost a fortune.

EDIT: Ah, it appears the 4K is 60Hz.

I guess then it's between the monitor eventually being able to do high refresh in 1440p when a beefy gpu is out, or sticking with a higher res, considering pushing a high framerate at 4K is a hard task for gpus.

What would you guys reccomend, 4k 60hz or 1440p 165hz? I'll be getting a 1070 for now and upgrading it down the line.

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 3, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rookoo posted:

Am I missing something, or is there something wrong with the 4k XB271HK over the 1440p XB271HU?

The reviews i'm seeing tell me the colour calibration is actually better on the 4k version, and for some reason the 4k version actually appears to be cheaper?!

1440p - http://bit.ly/1srGRd1
4k - http://bit.ly/1P9OiKy

I'm not in love with how the monitor looks (Too Gamey) but the price/performance seems quite good to me. I didn't even think there were 4k IPS G-sync's that didn't cost a fortune.

EDIT: Ah, it appears the 4K is 60Hz.

I guess then it's between the monitor eventually being able to do high refresh in 1440p when a beefy gpu is out, or sticking with a higher res, considering pushing a high framerate at 4K is a hard task for gpus.

What would you guys reccomend, 4k 60hz or 1440p 165hz? I'll be getting a 1070 for now and upgrading it down the line.

With a 1070 I would go for the 165Hz one, the 1080 is viable for 4k but the 1070 does not quite have the power needed to do 4k at decent frame rates without turning some settings down to medium. Also high refresh is pretty nice.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Are the QC issues with the Acer XB271HU resolved? Can I buy it and not have to return it 10 times?

It's bonus time so... :getin:

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Think i'll go with that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Maaaaan...I just received a X34 yesterday and it's...wow. Truly impressive. FPS shooters feel much more immersive while 3rd person action games feel more cinematic.

However, mine has a couple of defects that I'm not sure are worth dealing with an Amazon replacement over.

1 dead pixel about an inch from the top of the screen, towards the left
1 dust speck in the bottom right in the taskbar (don't care about this, can't see it)
lots of small dust specks all over the screen that you have to go hunting for
Even after calibrating to 6500K white point the whites have a distinct reddish tone

But, mine does overclock to 100 Hz, has no coil whine, no apparent scan lines (and I'm not going looking for them). Maybe UD pixel will resurrect the dead pixel.

X34 owners, is this commiserate with your units?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Maaaaan...I just received a X34 yesterday and it's...wow. Truly impressive. FPS shooters feel much more immersive while 3rd person action games feel more cinematic.

However, mine has a couple of defects that I'm not sure are worth dealing with an Amazon replacement over.

1 dust speck in the bottom right in the taskbar (don't care about this, can't see it)
Even after calibrating to 6500K white point the whites have a distinct reddish tone

But, mine does overclock to 100 Hz, has no coil whine, no apparent scan lines (and I'm not going looking for them). Maybe UD pixel will resurrect the dead pixel.

My refurb xr341ck had none of those things. It makes noise at low brightness, has a very small bit of backlight bleed and had a loose bezel, but nothing negative for my everyday use.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

xthetenth posted:

My refurb xr341ck had none of those things. It makes noise at low brightness, has a very small bit of backlight bleed and had a loose bezel, but nothing negative for my everyday use.

Truly these issues are nitpicky, and the only really apparent defect is the dead pixel. The white uniformity is only apparent while looking at full screen white pages (like spreadsheets), and the red tint is at the top and left sides.

Previous to this screen I played panel lottery with Amazon for both the Asus and Acer 1440P Gsync IPS monitors, so much so that I got a automated CSR email from them taking notice of my "unusual number of returns" and would hate to wear out my welcome with them by requesting a replacement for this screen.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So i've ordered the XB271HU. Looks like i'm playing the panel lottery. Dead Pixels are obvious, but is there anything else I need to look out for?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anti-Hero posted:

Try to fix the pixel before you do anything else.
http://m.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a website where you can just pop in regularly and filter an exhaustive list of monitors based on 1440/4K, Hz, HDR/10 bit, OLED/IPS, and G-Sync/Freesync? Nothing special, just as a way for me to gauge where the market is.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Are the curved 3440x1440 144Hz displays Samsung's supposed to be releasing this year real or what?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Spatial posted:

Are the QC issues with the Acer XB271HU resolved? Can I buy it and not have to return it 10 times?

It's bonus time so... :getin:

I bought an XB271HU on Monday, received it yesterday. Sample size of one but I have no dead pixels/dust/etc. and don't notice any backlight bleed, just normal IPS glow in the corners.

Within 10 minutes of playing Overwatch and Rocket League at 144Hz I decided there was no going back to 60Hz for PC gaming ever again.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 3, 2016

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Is there a website where you can just pop in regularly and filter an exhaustive list of monitors based on 1440/4K, Hz, HDR/10 bit, OLED/IPS, and G-Sync/Freesync? Nothing special, just as a way for me to gauge where the market is.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Awesome, cheers.

EDIT: Another thing. When people say they run (and benchmark) 1440, how many horizontal pixels do they usually mean - 3440 or 2560?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 3, 2016

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Awesome, cheers.

EDIT: Another thing. When people say they run (and benchmark) 1440, how many horizontal pixels do they usually mean - 3440 or 2560?

No problem. Traditionally it's the 16:9, 2560.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ufarn posted:

Awesome, cheers.

2560 is the default, and people who have ultrawides can't stop talking about them being ultra wide, so they'll almost always find some way to make it clear.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So spending close to $1000 is the norm now? :(

I thought $300 was pushing it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

So spending close to $1000 is the norm now? :(

I thought $300 was pushing it.

It's the norm among people who like the things a lot and talk about them a ton. And it's often closer to 5-600.

But yeah, there's a high end that didn't exist before that's really compelling, so it can command high prices. Cheaper stuff's getting better but not as fast.

Also monitors kick rear end and are one of the few things that improve all your interactions with your computer.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Not sure if this is a question for here or the GPU thread but I'm using a 144Hz / g-sync monitor for the first time and not sure how to manage my FPS settings in games that don't provide their own framerate limiting.

Should I be using something like MSI Afterburner to cap fps around 135? I read that it's best to keep your in-game FPS around 5-10 below your monitor's max so that g-sync can do its thing. I assume it's bad to just run uncapped and let older games like Dishonored end up running around 200 FPS because that's just putting unnecessary load on my GPU, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when the 8800GT came out and was 250-300 USD, those were the days...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

I remember when the 8800GT came out and was 250-300 USD, those were the days...

Being able to step up to that from an 8600 GTS won EVGA so much of my brand loyalty you have no idea (three cards where I looked at nobody else).

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Anti-Hero posted:

Truly these issues are nitpicky, and the only really apparent defect is the dead pixel. The white uniformity is only apparent while looking at full screen white pages (like spreadsheets), and the red tint is at the top and left sides.

Previous to this screen I played panel lottery with Amazon for both the Asus and Acer 1440P Gsync IPS monitors, so much so that I got a automated CSR email from them taking notice of my "unusual number of returns" and would hate to wear out my welcome with them by requesting a replacement for this screen.

It's really not nitpicky when blowing over a thousand bucks and having QC issues even the second rate Korean outfits have resolved. That aside if it doesn't develop any additional problems in the next two weeks it's probably worth holding on to, whatever replacement they send will probably be worse. I'm 3 for 3 on hosed up X34's with different issues on every one.

Honestly if 3440x1440 34" ultrawide is the imperative, spend half as much on a 60hz no frills display and jump in when GPU's are where they need to be to drive it and faster interfaces are standardized. That resolution/refresh is the proverbial bleeding edge at the moment.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 4, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Are there any sites doing good (i.e. high speed camera, high framerate test material, proper latency testing, etc) monitor testing these days? I'm thinking about getting another monitor, but no matter how many times I've seen people claim that THIS is the generation of IPS monitors that are actually decent for gaming, it's never been true, so I don't want to buy anything without some quality tests on how badly it ghosts.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Are there any sites doing good (i.e. high speed camera, high framerate test material, proper latency testing, etc) monitor testing these days? I'm thinking about getting another monitor, but no matter how many times I've seen people claim that THIS is the generation of IPS monitors that are actually decent for gaming, it's never been true, so I don't want to buy anything without some quality tests on how badly it ghosts.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

TFT central is pretty much the mainstay monitor reviewer other sites are kind of slowly working towards.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Parker Lewis posted:

I bought an XB271HU on Monday, received it yesterday. Sample size of one but I have no dead pixels/dust/etc. and don't notice any backlight bleed, just normal IPS glow in the corners.

Within 10 minutes of playing Overwatch and Rocket League at 144Hz I decided there was no going back to 60Hz for PC gaming ever again.

I'm in the same situation.

For me it was a toss up between the 4K XB271HK or the 1440p XB271HU

Having never experienced >60 FPS before, and having just recieved my brand new 165hz XB271HU, I feel like I shot myself in the foot as I will never be able to go back and will now have to spend thousands of euros on top of the line GPU's to my satisfy newfound thirst for herz forever.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

It's really not nitpicky when blowing over a thousand bucks and having QC issues even the second rate Korean outfits have resolved. That aside if it doesn't develop any additional problems in the next two weeks it's probably worth holding on to, whatever replacement they send will probably be worse. I'm 3 for 3 on hosed up X34's with different issues on every one.

Honestly if 3440x1440 34" ultrawide is the imperative, spend half as much on a 60hz no frills display and jump in when GPU's are where they need to be to drive it and faster interfaces are standardized. That resolution/refresh is the proverbial bleeding edge at the moment.

Amazon ships a replacement panel first, and provides a shipping label to return the defective unit at your leisure. There really aren't any concerns with the next panel being "worse" because I could just choose to send the least desirable one back. However, I'm super burned out on playing that game at this moment. I'll consider it in a couple of weeks once my X34 has time to settle and see if any other artifacts pop up.

The size/resolution is not the imperative, Gsync + >60 Hz refresh rate is. I also have the XB271HU (20 days left to return) and it's absolutely fantastic but felt more like a side-grade from my old 1440P panel, hence trying out the X34.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Anti-Hero posted:

Amazon ships a replacement panel first, and provides a shipping label to return the defective unit at your leisure. There really aren't any concerns with the next panel being "worse" because I could just choose to send the least desirable one back. However, I'm super burned out on playing that game at this moment. I'll consider it in a couple of weeks once my X34 has time to settle and see if any other artifacts pop up.

The size/resolution is not the imperative, Gsync + >60 Hz refresh rate is. I also have the XB271HU (20 days left to return) and it's absolutely fantastic but felt more like a side-grade from my old 1440P panel, hence trying out the X34.

I suppose it's better now that stock is actually available, I got really tired of waiting nearly a month for each replacement without any positive result in the end and just a lot of my time wasted as I'm sure you can sympathize. If the turnaround was better back when I rolled the dice six+ months ago I would have just kept gambling until I won, it's a goddamn breathtaking display when it works right. I winge a fair bit about the X34 but for gently caress's fake if consumers are more likely to get a bad unit than good and even when the stars align more often than not it doesn't hit the target refresh, it probably isn't ready. I desperately want to the try the Asus when it stops having a ridiculous premium and constrained supply, but I hear it's just as bad with QC.

Exposing yourself to high refresh/g-sync displays is a terminal mistake, it's like first noticing the inherent judder in 24fps media. Once you notice it there's no un-noticing it. Even doing mundane poo poo like dicking around in Windows feels like the future, I'm just emptying the recycle bin but dear sweet Christ do you see how smooth it is!?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Exposing yourself to high refresh/g-sync displays is a terminal mistake, it's like first noticing the inherent judder in 24fps media. Once you notice it there's no un-noticing it. Even doing mundane poo poo like dicking around in Windows feels like the future, I'm just emptying the recycle bin but dear sweet Christ do you see how smooth it is!?

Similar for ultrawides. I bought a 2560x1440 IPS. Then another. Then my work laptop only has an HDMI connector, so I bought a 3440x1440. Then I had to have one for home and now I've got an XR341CK with the two 2560s on the side.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I suppose it's better now that stock is actually available, I got really tired of waiting nearly a month for each replacement without any positive result in the end and just a lot of my time wasted as I'm sure you can sympathize. If the turnaround was better back when I rolled the dice six+ months ago I would have just kept gambling until I won, it's a goddamn breathtaking display when it works right. I winge a fair bit about the X34 but for gently caress's fake if consumers are more likely to get a bad unit than good and even when the stars align more often than not it doesn't hit the target refresh, it probably isn't ready. I desperately want to the try the Asus when it stops having a ridiculous premium and constrained supply, but I hear it's just as bad with QC.

The QC has supposedly improved on these panels recently; it might be worth a revisit if you still want one. Or hold out another 6 months for the X34P, but that was something I was unwilling to do as I want my Gsync, HFR display now! I can't go back to 60Hz at all; I'm keeping either the X34 or the XB271HU (really really leaning towards the former).

Aaaaaaand I just fixed my dead pixel in the most unbelievable of ways. A fellow on reddit (don't judge) suggested flicking the pixel with your middle finger after running a pixel unsticking utility for some time, and by god it worked! My only major complaint with the panel is alleviated!

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

xthetenth posted:

Similar for ultrawides. I bought a 2560x1440 IPS. Then another. Then my work laptop only has an HDMI connector, so I bought a 3440x1440. Then I had to have one for home and now I've got an XR341CK with the two 2560s on the side.

It already ruined me, I would grab one of the proven high refresh/g-sync 16:9's otherwise but there's no going back.

Anti-Hero posted:

The QC has supposedly improved on these panels recently; it might be worth a revisit if you still want one. Or hold out another 6 months for the X34P, but that was something I was unwilling to do as I want my Gsync, HFR display now! I can't go back to 60Hz at all; I'm keeping either the X34 or the XB271HU (really really leaning towards the former).

Aaaaaaand I just fixed my dead pixel in the most unbelievable of ways. A fellow on reddit (don't judge) suggested flicking the pixel with your middle finger after running a pixel unsticking utility for some time, and by god it worked! My only major complaint with the panel is alleviated!

I stare at vanilla 34" ultrawides at work all day with envious eyes and keep considering dropping less than half the price of the X34 on a temporary home display. Ultimately a stupid move but immediate gratification is a hell of a drug. It's not like I need either I'm still quite pleased with my Asus PB29Q, but there's always bigger and better.

Hell yeah, makes sense that it would work but what would have happened if you used any other finger? The implications are disturbing..........

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I kind of actually want to get a full up high refresh rate screen to put on the side on an arm so I can play twitchier games on that but I really don't find myself needing more than 75 Hz.

Also I kind of got a $600 refurb XR341CK which made the price tag all kinds of easy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Parker Lewis posted:

I just realized there are people who have never had a CRT monitor and never known anything above 60 fps (rip 100hz 16x12 Trinitron) and it is making me feel :corsair:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I just realized there are people who have never had a CRT monitor and never known anything above 60 fps (rip 100hz 16x12 Trinitron) and it is making me feel :corsair:

All I remember about my CRT is that ungodly, eye-murdering flickering.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Never got more than 60 Hz out of my crt. And a headache.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm looking to move from a 24" 1080 monitor to a 27" or 32" UHD monitor. Would driving them at 1080 mean poorer image quality?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I'm looking to move from a 24" 1080 monitor to a 27" or 32" UHD monitor. Would driving them at 1080 mean poorer image quality?

Yes. You're looking to run them at 1080 when gaming to get a reasonable framerate I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, I have a Nvidia 970 but am happy with running games at 1080...
Would getting a g-sync monitor help then?