Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

I thought the rub was they could make artificial human organs, but they didn't know enough about Neelex's species to do it right.

(Still enough to make holographic organs, though?)

Well give them replicator tech that can only make organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Well give them replicator tech that can only make organs.

Then leave before they find out the replicators are hard-coded to only make the musical kind of organs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We talk about the reasons the Federation went to war with the Dominion, but I think it was really a war about the Federation needing to take down a rival that actively embraced genetic engineering, not caring about sharing tech with pre-warp societies, and cloning.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

We talk about the reasons the Federation went to war with the Dominion, but I think it was really a war about the Federation needing to take down a rival that actively embraced genetic engineering, not caring about sharing tech with pre-warp societies, and cloning.

Sisko did Stardate 3574.6

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah the psychic alien that incapacitated the entire crew with visions out of their brains? Yeah gently caress you if you think we're explaining that one was it even reeaaallll man?

There seem to be a lot of episodes they just don't know how to end

Like unless they're setting a lot of stuff up for later episodes or something

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Totally forgot about how bad that episode where people aged in reverse was, god drat....

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

rocket_man38 posted:

Totally forgot about how bad that episode where people aged in reverse was, god drat....

I dunno, young Picard did better than most child actors.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it morally wrong to gently caress Keiko in that episode when she had the body of a 12 year old but still had the mind of an adult and was able to consent?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Is it morally wrong to gently caress Keiko in that episode when she had the body of a 12 year old but still had the mind of an adult and was able to consent?

These are the sorts of ethical questions Star Trek was made to explore.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
lol I remember that episode, I think keiko even hit onto O'Brien and it made him all sorts of uncomfortable. My god there were lots of bad episodes in TNG. You tend to forget.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ein cooler Typ posted:

No but I'm not sure i understand the question. We have no problems with people in a 25 year old body but with the mental capacity of. 12 year old banging so why would this be any different.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It would be wrong for Miles. It would be acceptable for a Talaxian as that is part of their culture.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh yeah the psychic alien that incapacitated the entire crew with visions out of their brains? Yeah gently caress you if you think we're explaining that one was it even reeaaallll man?

I just watched the DS9 episode where Sisko/Dax/Garak/Odo are psychically taken back to the occupation.

They suffer through events as they happened, somehow living the lives of Bajoran slave workers, at the end it turns out it was because Odo was guilty, everyone wakes up and Bashir is just like "Guess whatever was doing that is over with!"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Monkey Fracas posted:

They are not.

Also I'm pretty sure that race of zombie organ harvesters that took up an entire season or two as a huge threat were written away with a single line in a later season during that Jason Alexander episode. Something like "oh yeah we cured them they're doing great now *shrug*" and then they're never heard from again.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

These are the sorts of ethical questions Star Trek was made to explore.

Like I said, discrete fan service that's cringe.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 22, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wolfsheim posted:

that Jason Alexander episode
Whenever you think you've got a grip on the breadth and totality of Voyager's terribleness, there is always something that pops out at you as a reminder that no one can conceive and conceptualize the whole seven awful seasons all at once.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Whenever you think you've got a grip on the breadth and totality of Voyager's terribleness, there is always something that pops out at you as a reminder that no one can conceive and conceptualize the whole seven awful seasons all at once.

That's what makes VOY aggravating, they had tons of great concepts that they abandoned. Was there a lot of turnover in the writers room?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

FuturePastNow posted:

I dunno, young Picard did better than most child actors.

Yeah except he couldn't pronounce "Picard". He kept calling himself "pee-card".

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Automatic Slim posted:

That's what makes VOY aggravating, they had tons of great concepts that they abandoned. Was there a lot of turnover in the writers room?

Ron Moore, who was responsible for every good Klingon episode of TNG, and who wrote a ton of amazing DS9 stuff, and who was behind the BSG reboot did like a month on the Voyager writing staff and quit in disgust

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

oldpainless posted:

No but I'm not sure i understand the question. We have no problems with people in a 25 year old body but with the mental capacity of. 12 year old banging so why would this be any different.

If it makes you feel better I'm gonna take the stance that you should not have been banged.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Ron Moore, who was responsible for every good Klingon episode of TNG, and who wrote a ton of amazing DS9 stuff, and who was behind the BSG reboot did like a month on the Voyager writing staff and quit in disgust

He also did though have a hand with Braga in writing Generations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Germstore posted:

If it makes you feel better I'm gonna take the stance that you should not have been banged.

I appreciate your concern. Thank you my friend.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Your move, Pussyface.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

He also did though have a hand with Braga in writing Generations.

I'll not hear a bad word about Generations! Flawed, certainly, but I felt it explored an interesting theme, loved seeing Enterprise D on the big screen and the theme was awesome. I mean Yeah First Contact is always gonna be the best TNG movie but there's something special about Generations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll not hear a bad word about Generations! Flawed, certainly, but I felt it explored an interesting theme, loved seeing Enterprise D on the big screen and the theme was awesome. I mean Yeah First Contact is always gonna be the best TNG movie but there's something special about Generations.

I was all :reject: when I thought you said it was the best Star Trek movie

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently originally instead of the dumb scene on the sailing frigate the Enterprise was supposed to fight off 3 Romulan warbirds but Jerry Taylor (who thought up the Kazon ) said it be predictable.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll not hear a bad word about Generations! Flawed, certainly, but I felt it explored an interesting theme, loved seeing Enterprise D on the big screen and the theme was awesome.

That movie was incoherent rear end with more plot holes than swiss cheese and one of the dumbest things that era of Star Trek ever did. Nothing makes any loving sense and the screen play is sloppy, unfocused, and doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It also looks cheap and lovely.

gently caress that movie.

ED: Literally the whole plot is a hole, surrounded by other, smaller plot holes. Transformers was more thought provoking and had more clear themes than that poo poo.

Crowsbeak posted:

Apparently originally instead of the dumb scene on the sailing frigate the Enterprise was supposed to fight off 3 Romulan warbirds but Jerry Taylor (who thought up the Kazon ) said it be predictable.

I will say the movie isn't predictable at all, because it's so incoherent it can't be. You can't guess what'll happen when poo poo just happens for no reason. Nothing makes loving sense.

My favorite moment with the dumb loving Nexus:

"Oh yeah, you can go back to ANY point in time, anywhere. Anyone who leaves can."

"Well then, I want you to return me to the day I met this awesome wasted actor we're up against, when I had him totally surrounded by security. Meanwhile, Kirk, why don't you go back to 90 seconds after you disappeared and punch his lights out in the past? Alright, we can't lose."

"Please take me and this legendary ship captain to have an old man three way fist fight at a time we clearly have no advantages."

gently caress that movie.

ED: It'd been hilarious but actually sensible at the same time if they spent 20 years in there learning Kung Fu then came back to have that fist fight, I suppose.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 5, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volcott posted:

I thought the rub was they could make artificial human organs, but they didn't know enough about Neelex's species to do it right.

(Still enough to make holographic organs, though?)

I think with the... ugh... holographic organs, it's less "we made actual holographic copies of Talaxian lungs" and more "the holographic forcefields are just doing the gas exchange work in place of the organs that should be there". Easier to use the forcefields to do the mechanical task than to create biological cellular structures that will function properly and be compatible with the rest of Neelix's body.

Or at least, that would have been a sensible-enough explanation. I'm sure Voyager's writers found ways to be dumber, though.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Automatic Slim posted:

The writers room was apparently a constant battlefield. That's why Mulgrew ended up deciding Janeway was bipolar, because the second one writer got the upper hand, they would retcon all development by their rivals. Everything was down to the wire, and the studio had to keep butting in just to get something they could shoot.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Which Voyager writer was the worst?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Crowsbeak posted:

Which Voyager writer was the worst?

all of us

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

The writers room was apparently a constant battlefield. That's why Mulgrew ended up deciding Janeway was bipolar, because the second one writer got the upper hand, they would retcon all development by their rivals. Everything was down to the wire, and the studio had to keep butting in just to get something they could shoot.

That sounds about right.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think with the... ugh... holographic organs, it's less "we made actual holographic copies of Talaxian lungs" and more "the holographic forcefields are just doing the gas exchange work in place of the organs that should be there". Easier to use the forcefields to do the mechanical task than to create biological cellular structures that will function properly and be compatible with the rest of Neelix's body.

Or at least, that would have been a sensible-enough explanation. I'm sure Voyager's writers found ways to be dumber, though.

So let me get this straight… they can take a hair sample from Dr. Pulaski's brush and compare it with her last transporter records and filter out terrible space diseases, but Neelix gets stuck with the photonic lung?

For that matter, can they just keep a file of changes every time someone uses a transporter. Going down the rabbit hole, there shouldn't be any obesity in the 24th century. "Looks like Counselor Troi and Riker are fighting again. She's been hitting the chocolate sundaes hard this week. Let's just subtract a few molecules from the rematerialization buffer. "

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also, degenerative diseases should be a thing of the past.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

He came back occasionally, one time teaming up with Bryan Fuller to make a B'Elanna episode that was actually interesting and character building, just to show he could spin gold out of poo poo. (Barge of the Dead)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Automatic Slim posted:

So let me get this straight… they can take a hair sample from Dr. Pulaski's brush and compare it with her last transporter records and filter out terrible space diseases, but Neelix gets stuck with the photonic lung?

For that matter, can they just keep a file of changes every time someone uses a transporter. Going down the rabbit hole, there shouldn't be any obesity in the 24th century. "Looks like Counselor Troi and Riker are fighting again. She's been hitting the chocolate sundaes hard this week. Let's just subtract a few molecules from the rematerialization buffer. "

the biofilter is the dumbest loving thing, i don't know who thought that would be a good idea. as described in the tech manual it would be impossible for the computer to filter out pathogens from the matter stream, it doesn't make any sense. 4/5ths of the biomass of a person is foreign organisms

that photonic lung was also loving stupid, there's no way they couldn't replicate a good enough lung

there pretty much isn't any obesity in the 24th but that's because of replicators, not transporters. as troi herself notes on occasion, when she orders food the computer uses her personal real-time medical information and dietry history to deliver her perfectly engineered and totally masked nutrition every time. you could order chocolate sundaes, or salad, or beer, all day long and you would still get precisely 100% of your personal RDIs. the obesity that does exist is from eating 'real' food like a caveman

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Well that's some utopia science poo poo that makes sense.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It was nice of Picard to invite the ship's "fiction expert" with him to the dixon hill program.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

chaosbreather posted:

there pretty much isn't any obesity in the 24th but that's because of replicators, not transporters. as troi herself notes on occasion, when she orders food the computer uses her personal real-time medical information and dietry history to deliver her perfectly engineered and totally masked nutrition every time. you could order chocolate sundaes, or salad, or beer, all day long and you would still get precisely 100% of your personal RDIs. the obesity that does exist is from eating 'real' food like a caveman

a future of chacken tendy eaters great

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It was nice of Picard to invite the ship's "fiction expert" with him to the dixon hill program.

"Your name came up at the top of the list for this assignment. Something about your senior project was on restoring lost digital works from the turn of the 21st century. Will that give you any special insight onto Dixon Hill?"
"If he's ever had erotic fan-written fiction written about him, then yes..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

chaosbreather posted:

the biofilter is the dumbest loving thing, i don't know who thought that would be a good idea. as described in the tech manual it would be impossible for the computer to filter out pathogens from the matter stream, it doesn't make any sense. 4/5ths of the biomass of a person is foreign organisms

that photonic lung was also loving stupid, there's no way they couldn't replicate a good enough lung

Also what probably controls behavior somewhat (preventing obesity) is the non stop loving nagging that people do.

Barclay can't even spend his free time in the holodeck without a gang of jerks using security overrides on the door and lecturing him. 90% of the time someone wants to be left alone in their quarters a group of people pick the lock and start into a sanctimonious rage.

I'm sure Ensign Riveria or somebody would save up their replicator credits and stress eat during a Borg Attack but luckily Troi had Riker and Worf kick down his door so that he could get a 30 minute lecture and mandatory counseling for "unhealthy habits RISKING THE LIVES OF THE CREW ON THIS SHIP. YOU HAVE A DUTY TO THAT UNIFORM."