Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

ok god my eyes!

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

revmoo posted:

To catch up:

- It was discovered that CIG was tagging users on their support site in a not-nice way and publishing that data as JSON in their support HTML page.
- CIG immediately took notice from reading this thread and pulled down/broke the site, failing to touch the mobile version
- CIG then put up a 1990s-ish "under construction" page with stolen artwork
- When the stolen art (seems to be a trend here) was pointed out on this forum, CIG removed it, additionally they removed the mobile version access as well, again from reading the forum thread. It was also pointed out that the tagging data was still available on the "under construction" page if you looked at the source code, so they screenshotted the page and replaced the page with the screenshot

This is all kind of out of order, but it's the basic gist. CIG has been basically playing a cat and mouse game with themselves and it's been hilarious. Also all of this basically 100% confirmed that they are monitoring this thread, practically in realtime. Hi!

You missed that Toast/MoMMA provided a decent steak recipe, and then cut and paste parts of the "Developer's Monthly Report" as if it was 100% accurate, and he took the CiG loyalty pledge.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: The enemy is literally everything that's happening in the game's development

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

G0RF posted:

It was a great discussion, Brian-- thank YOU for offering your perspectives on the game and the genre. I sincerely do believe there is a great deal Chris Roberts could learn by seeking your counsel. We decry and make light of CIG's wasteful spending, particularly in LA, but real talk -- if they put you on a $200/HR retainer, set you up in the Beverly Hills hotel, and let you white board feedback on the game in front of Chris Roberts for a week, I'd be in this very thread clapping up a storm declaring their genius.

As an aside, there are a great many folks here who share your adoration for Starflight. I am one of them, as is Tippis. It remains, for me, the standard bearer for the space game genre. Soaringly ambitious, sparkling with wit and surprises, so much to discover and do. We've still not seen its equal, decades later.

Hope you'll pop back by after the Andromeda reveal, Brian. Everything I've heard has me hopeful it'll at least conjure up hints of Starflight's spirit. I've been waiting for THAT game for a long, long time!

Heh, I do live in LA, so they'd just have to invite me up to Santa Monica (which, out of all the areas in LA, is some of the most expensive, so the mind kinda baffles right there). And yay Starflight! It's so the best. :)

And I'm sorry, what's Andromeda?

Also, have you played Starflight: The Lost Colony? They TOTALLY captured the spirit and fire that made Starflight so amazing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Brian Rubin posted:

There is a new Mass Effect coming out early 2017. We will learn a lot more about it in E3, but most info that we have now points to a pretty good open world space game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 6, 2016

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

Meridian posted:

It's me, I am the CIG thread reader. AMA.

In retrospect the Sandi pic as your avatar should have been a dead giveaway.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Crobbers hasn't answered any softball questions on the 10 series, since april! He has been to busy with boats and stuff I guess.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian weekly update is up! I managed to pull off my first big test of the great engine swap of 2016. I ported assets into Unreal Engine 4 (had to completely re-texture them), and was able to reproduce the Flight Model I wrote in Unity over in UE4 fairly accurately in a weekend. I also took a crack at the particle system which is the superheated debris flying past the spaceship you'll see in the video below. It's still wonky, and not connected to ship speed yet, but it's there.

In terms of visual quality, rendering pipeline, there's absolutely no contest. UE4 looks fantastic. As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

But, all in all, I think the results speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb0COi6cJw

Welcome to the bright side. The error's fixable if you poke it and clean out various things, but it's generally a whole bunch more fun.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Dante80 posted:

There is a new Mass Effect coming out. We will learn a lot more about it in E3, but most info that we have now points to a pretty good open world space game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

Ohhhh, I hate to admit it, but I never could click with the ME games. I tried both 1 and 2 and got bored 30 minutes in. :/ I worry that makes me less of a Space Game Junkie, as it were...

But open world space game? Definitely has my interest.

Thank you!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sure five days of live streaming will go off wonderfully without a hitch.
I bet they'll demand special treatment and some expensive extra options from the hosts while having only a slideshow to offer.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

drat. Now I really want to go to Gamescom in a 'Derek was right' shirt, point fingers at them and laugh. Also get an autograph from Ben Lesnick, Developer. Only about 1.5 hours by train. Tempting, tempting....

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Brian Rubin posted:

Ohhhh, I hate to admit it, but I never could click with the ME games. I tried both 1 and 2 and got bored 30 minutes in. :/ I worry that makes me less of a Space Game Junkie, as it were...

Thank you!

I have to agree there. Several things about those game just didn't gel with me, but the MP combat in 3 was actually pretty decent with friends so who knows? This one's definitely on my 'I'll probably get dragged into it by friends' list.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sure five days of live streaming will go off wonderfully without a hitch.

I'm giving 5 internet points to anyone that takes a fog horn onto a CIG livestream and uses it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Brian Rubin posted:

Thank you!

bla...blasphemy!!!!111

Just kidding. The truth is though that there are a lot of space games coming out this year and the next. We will have a lot of cool games to play I think.
Among those, this little jewel is coming to early access tomorrow. Would love to hear what you think of it, if you ever pick it up.

Cheers..<3

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Couldn't CIG extend the sale until next month when I get my next disability check?

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I have to agree there. Several things about those game just didn't gel with me, but the MP combat in 3 was actually pretty decent with friends so who knows? This one's definitely on my 'I'll probably get dragged into it by friends' list.

If it's open world I'll definitely be more interested than I might if it was more a straight up, story-focused sequel.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nobody is going to prevent or ban you from posting. Just because you have some seriously questionable opinions, doesn't make yours any less|more valid than the standard poo poo-posting that goes on here. So yeah, have at it. And this isn't Reddit; so nobody is going to down vote your much laughed at crap. It's all about the lols; never forget the lols.

Lol...I'm honestly impressed that loving shill still accuses you of that crap, especially considering the state in CIG forums brown sea right now, when I see you probate Tophat for a month while this shill is allowed to add his ignorance to the thread freely.

Like, a lot of poo poo can be talked about Derek Smart, but the one thing people can't knock him on anymore in my mind is that he's actually a far better 'community manager' than anyone CIG has put in a similar position to that in their entire existence. AND he's being moderator here mainly as a lark too lmao...like, drat Man of Many Anuses...this must be your weakest loving argument yet, and I gotta say...that's an accomplishment for you.

Indeed. It's a fine line. The thing with Tophat is that he was just spamming the thread with nonsensical bullshit; making it hard for us to find/respond to meaningful content. MoMA isn't doing that at all. And I haven't seen a single thing he has posted and which would warrant him being probated or banned. Anyone who doesn't want to read his crap, can keep on scrolling. The fact is, he is responding to specific things and engaging in his brand of shilling. Tophat was not; he was just generating noise - and I was getting too many complaints about it. I had probated him twice before - but that did nothing. So I figured that a longer timeout was needed. If he come back and continues, well, what comes after will be all on him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

Jesus Christ stop trying to replicate the cadence of the speech and just use complete sentences. This is unreadable.

Please don't knock his fideliteh; some of us appreciate it otherwise we have the bullshit from those wankers at INN to contend with.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Dante80 posted:

bla...blasphemy!!!!111

Just kidding. The truth is though that there are a lot of space games coming out this year and the next. We will have a lot of cool games to play I think.
Among those, this little jewel is coming to early access tomorrow. Would love to hear what you think of it, if you ever pick it up.

Cheers..<3

Oh yeah, I've totally had a copy since it was called Enemy Starfighter, and have played several missions of it. While it retains the wonderful, fluid combat from Enemy Starfighter, it loses the dynamic battlefield of the former game for a linear mission-based structure, which I'm...not sure how I feel about yet. If the dogfighting wasn't so damned sublime I'd likely be upset. We're talking near-Freespace 2 levels of sheer fluidity here, and I don't say that lightly.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

If he come back and continues, well, what comes after will be all on him.

In other words, you simply wanted Tophat to...get smart?.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

We've done more to dictate CIG's direction than anyone paid to work there. I say we take the honorary position they've granted us de facto and start helping out. G0RF has done his part from a marketing perspective (if Sandi doesn't take his advice, that's on her - Martin Shkreli has better PR than what she's done for CIG) so it's up to the rest of us to help with roadmaps and design documents.

CIG, please take a look at the work Toops has done. A single person has not only created a game in a fraction of the time, and without $114 million and four studios, but in a single weekend has also managed to swap out the engine, because he was not happy with his first choice. Granted, Toops isn't trying to do the things in the engine that you're reaching for, but that's part of the problem, isn't it? To paraphrase a great man, when asked his opinion on your space MMO with flying, FPS, landable planets, and local physics grids: "Your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they should that they didn't stop to think if they could!" Understanding your goals, and making sure they are achieveable, is the first step on the road. Then you start deciding the next steps towards those goals.

I realize that creating realistic, if uninspired, ship assets and having the sunlight glint off their metallic frames is what gives Chris a chubby in staff meetings. I get it, I really do - I've worked with autistic employees as well - you help people out as resources allow. Now try to keep up with me here, because this is going to get somewhat technical, but your ability to create these ship models does not automatically mean that you have made a space game.

I realize that this information might be new to perhaps 500 or so of your current employees, but it's really something you should bring them up to speed on.

Once your staff is on board with the concept that they have not, in fact, been building a space game, then they'll be ready to tackle the challenge of actually doing what the backers have paid $114 million dollars for. I sympathize with your situation: it's not easy to make a game, and it's far more fun to just crank out pictures of ships and take money for them. It's particularly difficult when you're spread across several studios in multiple countries, and the difficulty cranks up to 11 when you have no leadership or vision. Unfortunately, that is the situation you're in, so you've got to make the most of it. Talk amongst yourselves during staff meetings about the things you've seen and enjoyed about space games that existed and functioned. Did they have mining? What did you like about that? What didn't work? Do you have workable ideas how to improve the experience while maintaining the parts you enjoyed? Talk about these things, and come up with a plan. Designate one person to take a greatly simplified version of that plan to Chris Roberts, preferably written in crayon, and have them describe it to him while waving their hands around, making whooshing noises, and saying SHOULD, COULD, STUFF, and GONNA BE PRETTY COOL as much as possible. When Chris provides his feedback, write it down very carefully, making notes of his advice and his concerns. What does he like? What does he dislike? Keep it all on a single sheet of paper.

On your way back to the rest of the staff, shred that page, and then proceed with the plan you made in the first place.

When dealing with Sandi, take a page from Greek hero Perseus and keep a mirror handy. In this smartphone era, we all have cameras on us at all times - this is also perfect. Ask her what she did with her hair, compliment her shoes, or just say something like "you look different today" with a sparkle in your eye. Remember, toxic employees can be a menace, but they can also be a benefit. Pick the viper up like Steve Irwin, and point the business end elsewhere. Mention that the donut delivery guy has been slacking. Tell her the immersion-door installation team said she looked old. Wonder aloud why nobody is using the prepped rehearsal room when there's all this unused film just sitting in there waiting for someone to do an impromptu audition. Keep her busy.

Setting up some priorities is also in order. Wearing space-boxers is usually near the top of the priority list when any development studio sits down and starts spitballing about the features in their new space game, but try to resist the temptation of following the establishment, and consider a fresh approach. You don't have the leering eye of a publisher watching over your every decision, so use that to your advantage and start thinking outside of the box. Consider an unconventional approach such as knowing what you're building, discussing what the plans for the game are, even going all the way through the looking-glass by deciding what some of the game mechanics might be. It seems counter-intuitive, but those kinds of considerations give you a framework during development that can pay dividends down the road. Instead of giving players time-outs in their bunk because they rammed a ship, for example, you could instead make the ships function in space. Instead of having space boxers for your clone spacemen to wear, you could have the players stop clipping through geometry.

Don't be afraid to use contracted resources for some of the bigger challenges. A first-year computer-science student could help you cobble together a functioning patcher, for example. Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to solve these seemingly impossible problems all yourselves.

I hope some of this helps.

^this thing. was. beautiful

:five: :five: :five:

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I think my favourite thing is that if cig behaved like any sort of normal company, goons wouldn't care and none of this would be an issue. All cig have to do to make this go away is go two days without tripping over their own clown shoes and behave in anything resembling a professional manner

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

Tarkaroshe's Cabinet of Curious Citizens profile. was brought to his attention. Befittingly, he did exactly what I said about him in in profile: "For reasons unknown, they are quick to attack a poster's motivation and who they associate with."

Mirificus posted:

Tarkaroshe is bringing it up in other threads while continuing to offer assurances that he is not angry.

I came back from playing Hearts of Iron IV to find Tarkaroshe is still at it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Squadron 42 better have multiplayer. Co-operative play was a core gameplay mechanic, and while CIG pulled the drop-in/drop-out portion of it they then confirmed there would be isolated missions with co-op. That's not say anyone should expect CIG to actually follow through on a basic mechanic that's been promised from the beginning. They've already demonstrated a willingness to ignore anything said in the past.

It has since been confirmed to be 100% single-player. Any form of co-op implies multiplayer. It simply doesn't exist.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Brian Rubin posted:

If it's open world I'll definitely be more interested than I might if it was more a straight up, story-focused sequel.

Absolutely! if it's actual open world, that'd be a distinct boost in my interest. ...Oh dear, I might actually have to pay attention to an E3. That'll be a first.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013
Hey folks, sorry to kinda hijack your SC conversation here. Could y'all point me to a thread that talks generally about space games, so I could say hello?

This place is huge...like the home depot of forums...so lost...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing wrong with taking my stance and defending it. I'm of the opinion that, although they are claiming open development (at least more open than some other projects we see), there is still much under wraps that won't be shown.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/332008/comm-link-schedule-june-6th-2016#latest

quote:

In the long term, we're neck deep in preparations for Gamescom in August. That's taking a fair bit of my bandwidth these days as instead of one 3-hour presentation one evening, we'll be broadcasting live from the showfloor booth all five days of the event. We'll still working out the details of what we'll actually be showing: mostly gameplay and live interviews, but we'll have a few surprises mixed in there (these surprises will also be uploaded to YouTube for those who can't spend five days watching us on the showfloor.) This'll be our first REAL gaming convention showfloor booth, so it's a big responsibility and I'm hopeful those able to attend will enjoy seeing it in person (and those watching at home will see it on Twitch!)

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Absolutely! if it's actual open world, that'd be a distinct boost in my interest. ...Oh dear, I might actually have to pay attention to an E3. That'll be a first.
Yeah, like, if it's Skyrim in space? GIMME GIMME.

Precursors TRIED to do that and kiiiinda succeeded, but man it was buggy and so Russian. SO RUSSIAN.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Achamp posted:

You missed that Toast/MoMMA provided a decent steak recipe, and then cut and paste parts of the "Developer's Monthly Report" as if it was 100% accurate, and he took the CiG loyalty pledge.

While being 20 years behind the times on why to actually sear a steak.

necroid
May 14, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

ironically when the time came for CIG to buy a jpeg they just couldn't do it

lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Deedrix posted:

Well I shrugged it off on june 1st

Yup. I remembered that. Which is why I added it to my full post.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jon Do posted:

noone is claiming this is a well balanced debate

this is nerds laughing at disasterpiece theatre, MST3K style

now you have to try to figure out if you're a joker or a punchline

:five: :five: :five:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brian Rubin posted:

Heh, I do live in LA, so they'd just have to invite me up to Santa Monica (which, out of all the areas in LA, is some of the most expensive, so the mind kinda baffles right there). And yay Starflight! It's so the best. :)

Also, have you played Starflight: The Lost Colony? They TOTALLY captured the spirit and fire that made Starflight so amazing.

Cheers for the recommendation. I never knew of that! I think we'll keep you.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

So? Who doesn't buy ideas in today's world?

Entrepreneurs encourage others to buy into their ideas. Some fail - some make. Those who make it innovate, replicate, or improve. And then, ideas turn into reality. I see nothing wrong with this.

Wow bro you didn't buy the cure to cancer it's a vidya game snowflake

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PST posted:

As with every other time you've posted about anything legal, you clearly just don't understand the law or financial crime investigation, in any jurisdiction.

In 2013 a US District Court Judge reported the lawyers and corporate officers of Prenda Law to the DoJ for conspiracy and racketeering. While it's now known that the FBI and the DOJ are in the latter stages of their investigation, they're still yet to file charges for fraud and assorted other federal charges.

That's three years, with enough evidence back then to file charges, and a USDC judge personally saying 'hey, these guys are breaking the law'.

When Washington's AG filed suit against the kickstarter creator behind 'Asylum Playing Cards' it was over a year after that kickstarter had stopped making any updates at all and had privately admitted they just weren't going to be even attempting to produce what people had given them money for. He'd even been given the chance to avoid the case and just stuck his head the sand and gave the AG an open and shut win.

Individuals in Europe can already, now, bring legal action against CIG the moment they're refused a refund on their purchases (something you keep ignoring through your TOS bullshit). Small Claims court in the UK would rule in the customer's favour every time due to the UK having actual consumer protection law, which is particularly strong for online ordering, and that's up to a £10k claim for the customer.

You have absolutely no idea whether officials in the US, UK or Germany are in any way investigating CIG and its assorted dodgy company shenanigans (e.g. their unlawful claim to retain VAT when they did a refund, or the questions over when they started to charge VAT versus when they should have been charging, or even if they're refunding it correctly across territories). Moreover you clearly have no idea that in the UK both the FSA and the SFO keep those investigations entirtely under wraps until they're ready to charge. The DOJ, FBI and FTC go even further in that regard.

On top of that, they could quite easily simply have a file saying 'keep monitoring' as they wait patiently for CIG to gently caress up beyond the point any reasonable person could believe anything but that they've engaged in fraudulent and deceptive practises.

Or alternatively you do know the above and are just continuing to spin spin spin as you desperately hope someone on here might believe your bullshit.

Precisely this. Which is why most of us in the know, just point and laugh. Judgement day is coming. And the horsemen are not bring flowers.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Please don't knock his fideliteh; some of us appreciate it otherwise we have the bullshit from those wankers at INN to contend with.

I give praise to his constitution. No way I could sit through that poo poo.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Cheers for the recommendation. I never knew of that! I think we'll keep you.

Haha, I'm here to help space gamers find new games to love.

Also, if you want to hear a grown man cry tears of joy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn05Utwl-us

Brian Rubin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 6, 2016

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Mirificus posted:

I came back from playing Hearts of Iron IV to find Tarkaroshe is still at it.

for someone who is incapable of ewemotion he sure isnt letting it go. Seems the salt is melting the butthurt special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Brian Rubin posted:

Hey folks, sorry to kinda hijack your SC conversation here. Could y'all point me to a thread that talks generally about space games, so I could say hello?

This place is huge...like the home depot of forums...so lost...

You just need to jump up a subforum level.

"Games" is the mostly serious business area for the most general threads. (Roguelike thread, PS4 Thread, XBox thread) as well as threads on any specific game. I don't know if there is a general space game thread (probably is)

MMO HMO is for poo poo like WoW / EvE Online

Don't go into Private Game Servers

No other sub forums exist

• Locked thread