Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The actor who plays Gary got killed off on Bones so he could be in Alpha's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you read the killing our gays article that came out it basically covers a fairly large timeframe and includes shows not broadcast in the US (as well as daytime soaps, which are notorious for just killing everybody)

http://www.autostraddle.com/all-65-dead-lesbian-and-bisexual-characters-on-tv-and-how-they-died-312315/

The trend goes back, but the article and overall discussion is new.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenNight posted:

The actor who plays Gary got killed off on Bones so he could be in Alpha's.

Chris Meloni left SVU so he could be in True Blood

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of, I've just gotten to the episode of Alphas where Brent Spiner played the Alpha of the week. It was pretty good. I like Alphas a lot and I anticipate disappointment at its ending. Gary is a pretty annoying character but I guess he's meant to be.

Gary is the best, though. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

corn in the bible posted:

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

IIRC he left SVU because of a contract dispute. Him and Mariska had been playing hardball for a while about getting paid more and the producers finally just kicked him to the curb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The second Top Gear episode was good. The main host is still annoying but the South Africa adventure is 100% classic Top Gear

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

You sure have a lot of wrong opinions about a show you quit very early into
Yeah I guess midway through season 3 is pretty early. I didn't stop watching it by choice, there was a stupid conflict in my life among the people I was watching it with and we were supposed to continue, but never did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I stopped watching Fringe midseason 3 because it grew stale and there was simply better stuff to watch as far as I remember.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

pentyne posted:

This is called being a good story teller. You cannot let the audience dictate the terms of your writing or plot if you ever expect to make something good. People will go apeshit over a character being gay/not gay, insist characters X and Y are in love with each other and harass real life people over it, and basically start their own "canon" storylines on tumblr and poo poo and then get into arugements that the new material isn't true to the original/source.

In short, gently caress fans and their whiny baby entitlement belief that internet outrage should dictate a story.

There's a fine line to walk. If a showrunner and his writing staff are actively reaching out to their audience and engaging them (whether to generate word-of-mouth buzz for the show or just because dude wants lots of twitter followers to feel better about himself), you can't exactly ignore them entirely anymore. You've deliberately made yourself beholden to them at that point, and a lot of the anger at The 100 specifically was borne of a sense of bait-and-switch between the showrunners and the audience (and it's the same people infecting other show audiences with that same anger, whether or not they actually watch these other shows like Person of Interest). Just write the story you want to write, and don't beg and plead for your audience to please please trust you, look how progressive you are, and whatever other nonsense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Engaging with the shows audience is just a marketing tool. They don't have to do jack poo poo to appease the masses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I stopped watching Fringe midseason 3 because it grew stale and there was simply better stuff to watch as far as I remember.

I also feel like I've watched a lot more Fringe than I have, because I've watched the first 2 seasons 3 loving times. So in my brain I thought I'd watched at least 3/4 of the show. But apparently that's not true.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The second Top Gear episode was good. The main host is still annoying but the South Africa adventure is 100% classic Top Gear

Except no chemistry or snark and Chris Evans is still the most punchable person on Great Britain and yes I'm including Piers Morgan.

But it was way better than the first episode.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mu Zeta posted:

in what way? did they call them worthless blacks or something

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xeria posted:

There's a fine line to walk. If a showrunner and his writing staff are actively reaching out to their audience and engaging them (whether to generate word-of-mouth buzz for the show or just because dude wants lots of twitter followers to feel better about himself), you can't exactly ignore them entirely anymore. You've deliberately made yourself beholden to them at that point, and a lot of the anger at The 100 specifically was borne of a sense of bait-and-switch between the showrunners and the audience (and it's the same people infecting other show audiences with that same anger, whether or not they actually watch these other shows like Person of Interest). Just write the story you want to write, and don't beg and plead for your audience to please please trust you, look how progressive you are, and whatever other nonsense.

Bait and Switch scenario:

Showrunner tweets pictures of Lexa in the finale, in the City of Light.
Fact: CoL is an AI mindspace inhabited by forcefully chipped humans now functioning as a hive-mind.
Fact: Humans can exist in the CoL after their physical body has died, as long as the server remains active

Does anyone not understand that the tweet is not a loving promise that your beloved queer OTP romance character is going to live until the finale? Especially when it was confirmed way early in the season that the actress would be moving on from the show already?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

Engaging with the shows audience is just a marketing tool. They don't have to do jack poo poo to appease the masses.

They don't have to do anything. That doesn't mean it won't result in an online media frenzy if they deliberately seek out and engage a very specific segment of their audience that's generally Very Young and going to get Very Angry when they feel lied to. (And "lied to" in this instance refers, from what I understand, to some tweet from the actress that was more or less a goodbye to the show that said audience latched onto and was then told by the writers to not pay any attention to it of course that character is fine! Or some such nonsense. Regardless, what happened with the 100 had about a thousand different points of contention that added up to the shitmess it become and that just aren't there with every other show that's ended up lumped in with this mess.)

hope and vaseline posted:

Fact: CoL is an AI mindspace inhabited by forcefully chipped humans now functioning as a hive-mind.
Fact: Humans can exist in the CoL after their physical body has died, as long as the server remains active

Does anyone not understand that the tweet is not a loving promise that your beloved queer OTP romance character is going to live until the finale? Especially when it was confirmed way early in the season that the actress would be moving on from the show already?

See what I said above about the tweet. Granted, I've only read about the after-the-fact-ness of it because I haven't watched any of season 3 yet, but there you go. Like I said, it's a thousand little things that added up to that one segment of the audience feeling used/lied to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like obvious damage control for an actress saying too much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gently caress the audience

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The real lesson here is that shippers are crazy. Especially the ones that just watch the scenes with the 2 chars :psyboom:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I will bathe in LGBT blood before I concede one plot point to the fan base.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenNight posted:

The episodes were done being filmed way before the Lexa death episode aired.

Plus Miller has been in the show and identified as gay since early season 2, even before Clarke and Lexa were a thing I'm pretty sure.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've seen a couple of episodes and I really like it. I like W. Kamau Bell as a commentator more than a comedian.

I like Kamau but he sometimes comes down on the wrong side of internet outrage, like when he was in support of demanding Colbert have that one girl on his show that was behind the "hashtag cancel colbert" thing.

xeria posted:

There's a fine line to walk. If a showrunner and his writing staff are actively reaching out to their audience and engaging them (whether to generate word-of-mouth buzz for the show or just because dude wants lots of twitter followers to feel better about himself), you can't exactly ignore them entirely anymore. You've deliberately made yourself beholden to them at that point

:lol: What? No you haven't. Just because you talk to people who enjoy your show on social media doesn't mean you owe them poo poo or that you have to incorporate their "head canon" or whatever.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So uh they're casting Superman to be on Supergirl season 2. I haven't watched season 1 but now I'm interested.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

So uh they're casting Superman to be on Supergirl season 2. I haven't watched season 1 but now I'm interested.

Are they casting Superman, or Clark Kent? Because it think it would be pretty funny for just the reporter to be in the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Snak posted:

Are they casting Superman, or Clark Kent? Because it think it would be pretty funny for just the reporter to be in the show.

Both?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supergirl-adding-superman-season-2-899862

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

So they're not casting Brandon Routh then? :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tom Welling needs to come back as a villain. Or like an old Earth 4 Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone but Tom Welling.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

They are casting her cousin :downsrim:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean, okay I guess they can't commit to merging earths or whatever just cause it's moved to the CW but drat I wish they really didn't double down on Superman existing in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or he's only in 2 episodes because then they merge.

Conveniently gets to show him, and then wipe him from the table.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

So they're not casting Brandon Routh then? :v:

It would be funny if they did, then had an episode with the Atom so he had to play both characters at the same time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

And poo poo like this occurs on a regular basis because people are so eager to spoil major plot reveals that it's a game of bluffs and fake-outs from the marketers and showrunners in order to try and create a tangible sense of surprise and drama.

Fan entitlement is a problem that will probably get worse. In the early 2010s the Supernatural fanbase was so rabid they verbally harassed the wife of Jared Padalecki and ended up tricking the security staff at one convention to apprehend her and throw her out claiming she was a stalker, all because the show was supposed to be SamxDean in hot gay sex.

With enough people having access to more information then ever before, it's only a matter of time before a hated actor/actress literally gets attacked in public by a fan for something they do on a TV show. That girl from House on the Praire, the main evil one, said for years she'd get yelled at in the street by people who recognized her. That was in the 70s/80s, now sites like Gawker have web apps allowing you to track a famous person's known visited locations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That dude from Ghostbusters says he still gets people yelling at him on the street that he has no dick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It sort of already happened with the guy who got punched because they thought he was Shia Labeouf.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress the audience

Breaking Bad's entire ending happened because of fans asking Vince Gilligan if Gretchen and Elliot would ever show up again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

That dude from Ghostbusters says he still gets people yelling at him on the street that he has no dick.

Yeah but that's awesome.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pentyne posted:

And poo poo like this occurs on a regular basis because people are so eager to spoil major plot reveals that it's a game of bluffs and fake-outs from the marketers and showrunners in order to try and create a tangible sense of surprise and drama.

Fan entitlement is a problem that will probably get worse. In the early 2010s the Supernatural fanbase was so rabid they verbally harassed the wife of Jared Padalecki and ended up tricking the security staff at one convention to apprehend her and throw her out claiming she was a stalker, all because the show was supposed to be SamxDean in hot gay sex.

With enough people having access to more information then ever before, it's only a matter of time before a hated actor/actress literally gets attacked in public by a fan for something they do on a TV show. That girl from House on the Praire, the main evil one, said for years she'd get yelled at in the street by people who recognized her. That was in the 70s/80s, now sites like Gawker have web apps allowing you to track a famous person's known visited locations.

Fred MacMurray got yelled at and stuff because he played such a terrible guy in 1960's The Apartment. Apparently some lady hit him with her purse.

To be fair he did a really good job at being awful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Alphas a lot and I anticipate disappointment at its ending. Gary is a pretty annoying character but I guess he's meant to be.

Except that he's the best character on the show and the actor portraying him is quite amazing in the role.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

X-O posted:

Except that he's the best character on the show and the actor portraying him is quite amazing in the role.

I don't watch Alphas, but I feel I need to see the dude who plays Jonah in Veep in something else because I want to see that guy playing someone who isn't completely awful to give him some balance. Jonah rules right now, mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Sure, I recall reading that there was one actress who played one of Ross's various girlfriends in one of the later seasons of Friends who said she had people accosting her in the street and accusing her of being a homewrecker keeping Ross and Rachel apart.

Laurence Fishburne claims that it was months before women would talk to him again after he played Ike Turner.

X-O posted:

Oh, he plays him really well, but I feel he's a hard character to like.

(I imagine it's partly because he reminds me so much of this guy I know and have a hard time getting on with; so, a matter of prejudice on my part. :shrug:)

• Locked thread