Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

You losers and your transmission synchros completely disconnecting you from the true mechanical nature of your gearbox. why even bother driving at that point, you might as well be riding the bus.

58 with a crashbox. Manual clutch, no power assist brakes, no synchros. Woo... Now if I could ever just get the damned thing back on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why is she afraid of hills? All manual cars have hill holder now. They don't roll back. That's the only thing I can think of that would be frightening.
You sure about that? Because my 2016 GTI definitely does not have hill hold assist.

Also, DeathbyMisadventure, I'm 6'3 and fit in the car just fine. The car will be plenty big inside for you. Only issue will be if you have a wide torso, the bolsters may hug you a little bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
your 2016 GTI definitely has hill hold assist considering that all new GTIs have come with it since the MK.V
either a) you managed to disable it via VAGCOM or the dealer disabled it via VAGCOM or b) you never encounter hills steep enough to activate it - it activates at a 5% grade

If you want to activate it, mash the brake pedal really hard and then let up, with the clutch depressed, on a hill steeper than 5%

I disabled mine on the FoST because you can do it via menus and I find them to be annoying.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hmm...thanks for that information. I guess I need to try that method out. My last car engaged it whenever I let off the brakes normally.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
interesting fact - the DSG also has hill hold assist because it uses plate clutches too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The 16, (at least the ones with the electronic brake) have a button that you can turn hill hold on and off right next to the brake :)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wallaka posted:

With the right programming, a traditional auto will shift 90% as fast as a DCT and still work seamlessly around town. Whoever programmed Dodge's SRT-8 transmissions did it right. Mine will sometimes bark third gear, it'll bounce off the redline forever if you don't touch it, and shifts instantly and violently when you want it to. Put it back into auto non-sport mode, and it's smooth as heck.

Yup, precisely this. A dual clutch is annoying in almost all the same ways as a manual transmission, and modern torque converter automatics are goddamn amazing if they're programmed well. I doubt I'd care as much if it wasn't so hilly where I live, but I much prefer a 3rd pedal to a dual clutch on my commute home (but would really prefer a proper automatic)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Pretty soon, you won't even be able to get a clutch pedal in anything anymore :(

Body shop called and VW finally shipped the last 2 parts they're waiting on. ~might~ actually get my car back on Tuesday.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Pretty soon, you won't even be able to get a clutch pedal in anything anymore :(

Body shop called and VW finally shipped the last 2 parts they're waiting on. ~might~ actually get my car back on Tuesday.

Make sure you operate everything to make sure it's working. Full blast AC, heat, all the radio modes, brake pedal pressure, etc. Always a lot easier if you catch something right up front.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

There will be holdouts until they stop selling cars that you actually drive. I've basically accepted that there's a good chance my next DD might be an automatic but I'll try to hold out. I'm 35 and have never owned an auto. Gotta keep that streak alive :buddy:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You sure about that? Because my 2016 GTI definitely does not have hill hold assist.
Mine does, I think the clutch has to be in for it to engage?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
In my outback, when hill hold is engaged, you have to press a little extra hard on the brake to engage it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Mine does, I think the clutch has to be in for it to engage?
I tried what KYOON GRIFFEY JR said, about pressing the brake HARD while the clutch pedal is in, and it works. So yeah, I was just unaware of how it functioned. Thanks again for the pointer.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 3, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
[.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

There are Focus RS' on American soil in owner's hands now. gently caress if I know when my order will get here but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you find a dealership that didn't add an extra fee on top of the price?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I take back everything I said about the manual vs DSG in regards to the GTI. I went to Wellesley Volkswagen today and test drove one of each. Both with the performance package. Both were really fun and I'd be able to live with either one. Both more comfortable than the fiesta with a bit more room to boot.

Also tested a Kia optima (the turbo one) and it was better than expected but not worth the $38k on the sticker.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

did you find a dealership that didn't add an extra fee on top of the price?

Yeah I have an agreement to buy at MSRP. OTD prices is set at 39,800.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GutBomb posted:

I take back everything I said about the manual vs DSG in regards to the GTI. I went to Wellesley Volkswagen today and test drove one of each. Both with the performance package. Both were really fun and I'd be able to live with either one. Both more comfortable than the fiesta with a bit more room to boot.

Also tested a Kia optima (the turbo one) and it was better than expected but not worth the $38k on the sticker.

There are no Optima's that should have an MSRP that high. They top out at $36k...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Seems right. I guess they have a 1.6L turbo now as an option or older style 2.0L but seeing $37k on local dealer. Nuts.

http://www.raybrandtkia.com/vehicle-details/2016-kia-optima-sxl-turbo-harvey-la-id-12910620

I guess the L version has luxury stereo and auto braking too but still

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 5, 2016

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

We drove by one dealer here that had probably 15 or so Golf R's lined up. but I've never seen one on the street here.

This goes to not only DeathbyMisadventure, but anyone really.
Where is everyone finding dealerships with Golf R inventory? Or Golf Rs in stock and are looking to deal?
Ive checked in 2 locations so far and cant find anyone with more than 1 at a time.

Id love to look into getting one with a stick but it makes it hard when any of the dealerships near me are keeping them in the showroom as if they are made out of gold.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Three in my area ranging from $36k to $40k.

http://www.vwmandeville.com/new-inv...-anchor-model-6
http://www.walkervw.com/new-invento...-anchor-model-6
http://www.raybrandtvw.com/vehicle-details/2016-volkswagen-golf-r-hatchback-manual-harvey-la-id-13374160

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Oh ok, those cars have :pimpin: aftermarket wheels and god knows what else dealer installed crap. A loaded SX-L from the factory is $36k and change. You can't factor in dumb dealer installed stuff on top of that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I may have remembered incorrectly but it was a fully loaded sxl and in the high 30s. Not worth the money. Good car, but not $36k good.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Franco Caution posted:

Where is everyone finding dealerships with Golf R inventory? Or Golf Rs in stock and are looking to deal?
Ive checked in 2 locations so far and cant find anyone with more than 1 at a time.

Id love to look into getting one with a stick but it makes it hard when any of the dealerships near me are keeping them in the showroom as if they are made out of gold.

Most people are finding on lots down in Texas. Just the sheer size of the lots down there and the lack of need for AWD they aren't nearly as popular are they are above the Mason Dixon line.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

The only ones I see around here are manual. You can use

https://www.cargurus.com/

to find inventory. Select your car and you can put the search radius out to 500 miles for new cars and nationwide for used cars. Also, I saw recently on either mk7vw or vwvortex boards a thread showing all R inventory all over the US, but I can't find it now. I think the guy works at a dealer and posted it up.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 6, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kill me now posted:

Oh ok, those cars have :pimpin: aftermarket wheels and god knows what else dealer installed crap. A loaded SX-L from the factory is $36k and change. You can't factor in dumb dealer installed stuff on top of that.

What? those are stock R wheels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Don Lapre posted:

What? those are stock R wheels.

He's talking about the Kia optima SXL.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ahh

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Radiohead71 posted:

The only ones I see around here are manual. You can use

https://www.cargurus.com/

to find inventory. Select your car and you can put the search radius out to 500 miles for new cars and nationwide for used cars. Also, I saw recently on either mk7vw or vwvortex boards a thread showing all R inventory all over the US, but I can't find it now. I think the guy works at a dealer and posted it up.

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hadn't used cargurus.com before but I'll give that a shot, and see what turns up.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Looks like the first shots of what the the new MY18 Fiesta may look like have been made public...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160607/OEM04/160609894/ford-fiesta-footprint-to-expand
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-makes-spy-photo-debut-in-europe-108257.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hah that rear cladding. They should give the Fiesta ST a miniature version of the shaped Focus ST exhaust.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've basically just decided that my next car has to be a Focus. I got a base model Focus as a rental, and that thing was a loving blast to beat the poo poo out of. The automatic transmission is terrible at hunting and being completely neurotic, but all the sporty trims are manual so that's not a problem. My only question now is whether the RS is worth the premium over the ST. I travel for work 99% of the time, so it will really just be a weekend fun car.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I mean, I don't think anyone is going to recommend an ST over an RS. It's really easy for us to spend your money for you :haw:

The RS is almost in a different category altogether. If the ST is a hot hatch then the RS is on fire.

I want one :smith:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

FROM OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME WHO HAVE DRIVEN THE RS: The first 75-80% of the RS is indistinguishable from the ST until you stomp on it towards the upper revs and then poo poo gets sideways in the best way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I haven't driven the RS but shouldn't 100hp and AWD make it feel drastically different from the ST? Shouldn't it feel a lot more powerful? It's like a second and a half faster from 0-60.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

I haven't driven the RS but shouldn't 100hp and AWD make it feel drastically different from the ST? Shouldn't it feel a lot more powerful? It's like a second and a half faster from 0-60.

Maybe the first 75-80% of the RS's accelerator is like 100% of the ST's, and then HOLY poo poo I STILL HAVE ANOTHER INCH AND A HALF OF PEDAL TRAVEL

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KillHour posted:

I've basically just decided that my next car has to be a Focus. I got a base model Focus as a rental, and that thing was a loving blast to beat the poo poo out of. The automatic transmission is terrible at hunting and being completely neurotic, but all the sporty trims are manual so that's not a problem. My only question now is whether the RS is worth the premium over the ST. I travel for work 99% of the time, so it will really just be a weekend fun car.

I sort of had a similar experience with getting a Focus sedan rental car and being quite impressed with it overall as a quality econocar that one would have to be a total dumbass to crack one up since the handling and brakes (along with the various nannies) were surprisingly responsive and could handle much more than the average driver would ever throw at it (wacky dual clutch transmission aside, even though i believe much of the complaints regarding that are due to car shy ppl not used to the feel of an automated manual transmission which certainly isnt the greatest to begin with). Then years later when I learned the Focus and Fiesta were developed by Ford of Europe (German engineering :viggo:) things started to click since i had been skeptical about Detroit's ability to build a quality small, cheap, and efficient car for the world that isn't a national embarrassment. I also remember the original Focus receiving high praises from owners over the years and even up to the current day from ST drivers that had one prior and recall them fondly...and to put it in perspective when those came out originally Chevy was still pumping out Cavaliers as their 'small car' offering (and hell even Chrysler had the Neon).

So I believe that's what got me thinking about a Ford (and reading up on the new FiST which had just come out at the time) in the first place as a possible new car to look into down the road as an alternative to the usual foreign favorites once my MBZ W201 inevitably blew the head gasket again (right about 2yrs and 3mths later). Recently a friend had a Chevy Cruze sedan rental for a month or so while their 135i was in the body shop and that thing was complete garbage compared to the Focus I had, it was completely gutless, had very floppy dull handling, and the design of it both inside and out had zero redeeming qualities (no wondering they are doubling down on using REAL PEOPLE, NOT ACTORS to hawk them as wifi hotspots on wheels to clueless phonegazing millennials).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMITlxi4wWo

:suicide:

Have you driven a Ford lately?

If you are set on a Focus ST or RS then remember that the RS is still very new and you will be hard pressed to find one without a ridiculous "market adjustment" added to the price...whereas the ST is plentiful both new and used and you will most likely get one for a great price if you put in the effort. The dealer I bought my Fiesta ST at recently had a new arrival GT350 parked in the showroom with a +$20,000 mark up despite a layer of pollen and noticeable scratches on front bumper they had it all locked up and were treating it like the Mona Lisa and expecting ppl to be lined up for it, fuckin idiots - and no doubt with a Focus RS you will be encountering the same horseshit since Ford is apparently very restrictive about which dealerships they allocate those to so if they are evem allowed to get one it will most likely be only one with a similar markup and sales idiots acting like they got themselves a Ferrari in their showroom. I will say Ford dealers are mostly as terrible as they sound.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 9, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mariana Horchata posted:

If you are set on a Focus ST or RS then remember that the RS is still very new and you will be hard pressed to find one without a ridiculous "market adjustment" added to the price...whereas the ST is plentiful both new and used and you will most likely get one for a great price if you put in the effort.

I have quite a few times seen FoSTs for the same price as or even occasionally less than FiSTs. The dealer I bought my FiST from had three FoSTs on the lot and was willing to do only $500 more for a comparable model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have a base model 2015 Focus with the 1.0 and 6-speed manual that I pretty much adore, aside from two things that any potential Focus purchaser should be aware of: Turning radius and visibility

Turning radius is garbage, the models with larger wheels are only worse... goddamn is it annoying to parallel park sometimes. I have a harder time getting the Focus into a spot that my B5.5 Passat would have slid right into, no problem. Doubly irritating for me, since one of the reasons I wanted a small car was because I need to parallel park frequently.

Visibility is something you can get used to but it's pretty bad. Huge A pillars and a tiny rear window. I greatly appreciate the backup camera, especially since I got the windows tinted. Windshield has horrible glare in certain lighting conditions. During the day, polarized sunglasses help this problem, but at night it can be kind of annoying.

A few other things, like OEM wiper blade suckitude and crap speakers can be solved by money but will annoy you before they get replaced.