Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
President Boss will be your boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

they had two options available to them:

1) the AAA route of endlessly rehashing the Saints franchise until everyone hates it a la Collarduty
2) the Bioware route; make a clean break from your former blockbuster franchise (Baldur's Gate) to something completely different (Mass Effect) leavened with small references to the old franchise. ultimately this *did* fail, but more due to outside meddling in the form of EA than a fault with the strategy

I've never played a Mass Effect, but there were three of them, right? And they were all popular. I don't think that's "ultimately this did fail".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's Borderlands with swearing.

I want a Saints Row game drat it, in cars and no superpowers or poo poo. A funny GTA is all I want again.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I would have thought that the Red Faction IP being sold to a different studio after the THQ bankruptcy would have put the kibosh on any more references between RF and SR

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I want a Saints Row game drat it, in cars and no superpowers or poo poo. A funny GTA is all I want again.

gently caress this poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Megazver posted:

Ok, how about a continuation of 3/4 where Pearce fucks up time and they have to fix it.
Just anything than generic robot shooting and Tracer/Roland/Axton stereotypes.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Saints Rowverwatch

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The ability to switch between main characters makes it sound like they're not going for a create-a-character thing, which is the primary thing I want from a Saints Row-verse game, plus there aren't enough create-a-character games in the superhero genre, at least that aren't MMOs. I've never replayed Gat Out of Hell because of the lack of character customization. I'll keep an eye on it but the prospect kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Viridiant posted:

The ability to switch between main characters makes it sound like they're not going for a create-a-character thing, which is the primary thing I want from a Saints Row-verse game. I've never replayed Gat Out of Hell because of that. I'll keep an eye on it but the prospect kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

It could just be a three class system and you get to customize them anyway, or at least still have silly dressup for the pre-made people?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

site posted:

President Boss will be your boss.

That was definitely the voice I used for my Boss, too

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

1) the AAA route of endlessly rehashing the Saints franchise until everyone hates it a la Collarduty

I heard GTA V sold pretty well.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

prefect posted:

I've never played a Mass Effect, but there were three of them, right? And they were all popular. I don't think that's "ultimately this did fail".

it failed in the sense that it ultimately produced a mediocre-at-best game in ME3, and now ironically ME has itself become Bioware's Collarduty forever-franchise

but for a brief, shining time after ME1 came out it seemed that a company could in fact beat the odds and follow up one blockbuster with another without leaning on the former and make something really new

Skyscraper posted:

I heard GTA V sold pretty well.

operative words there being "until everyone hates it"

Rockstar might be savvier about reviving the magic than other studios but one day there will be a bad GTA

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 6, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Viridiant posted:

The ability to switch between main characters makes it sound like they're not going for a create-a-character thing, which is the primary thing I want from a Saints Row-verse game, plus there aren't enough create-a-character games in the superhero genre, at least that aren't MMOs. I've never replayed Gat Out of Hell because of the lack of character customization. I'll keep an eye on it but the prospect kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

On the website they've got blacked out character templates, so it looks more like a thing where you pick maybe a team of three out of 20 defined characters.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Viridiant posted:

and this is my other early concern

Crappy Jack posted:

On the website they've got blacked out character templates, so it looks more like a thing where you pick maybe a team of three out of 20 defined characters.

and that's hardly an acceptable substitute

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

happyhippy posted:

It's Borderlands with swearing.

I'm with you. Saints Row 2 wasn't particularly hard but, it wasn't a pushover like the rest of the series. It feels like everything after 2 just gave you several "I win" buttons for any conflict.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm okay with that if j can still dress them up a bit.
The pirate dude is begging for a tutu and a horse mask.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't say I'm excited about Saints' Roverwatch.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Psygnosis posted:

I'm with you. Saints Row 2 wasn't particularly hard but, it wasn't a pushover like the rest of the series. It feels like everything after 2 just gave you several "I win" buttons for any conflict.

Unless you had Oleg with you in 3; then they turn into "suicide by Oleg" buttons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Psygnosis posted:

Isn't that the point of saints row? Just to gently caress around and have fun and not worry about dying?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's weird seeing something that looks so much like Saint's Row without any Saints in it.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing what Volition can do with new hardware and a new engine.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I dunno... I like the idea of Saints Row-not-Saints Row. I'd rather have Volition try some new things instead of SR getting stale.

I am glad they didn't go the path almost everyone else has gone and make this some forced online multiplayer team bullshit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ali Aces posted:

holy poo poo IMO the art style and animation are gorgeous.

I don't know which one I like more, Dr. Venture Only Evil And Wearing Borderlands Clothes or Le Epic pirate ninja Lumberjack :razz:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

It's weird seeing something that looks so much like Saint's Row without any Saints in it.

I think that was the whole idea. I think it would be super weird for a saints row game to go back to being "normal" after SR4, but at the same time, how much more nonsensical justification can you get for the Boss and Co. to have super powers. I also think its a chance for the creative team to stretch their wings a bit, gets boring making the same game after a while.

I am intrigued with the character swap, I think Volition might have gotten some ideas about how missions can work by swapping POV's from GTA V.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Give me Saints Row level character creation or give me death. Let me play an iridescent Russian muscle goddess one more time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

After hearing this, I'm still holding out for customizable character generation. It could be something like Mass Effect, where you have a main character leading the group and swap out characters depending on the role needed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't suppose Jay Mohr has said anything about va recently? Since ultor is in the game I wonder if we might get a cameo.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That trailer is basically crack to me, holy poo poo.

I do like Saints Row a lot, but as someone whose first PC game ever was Freespace 2 I'm very happy to see them making something new and different. They're a great developer, I don't want them to just be The Saints Row Guys.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

That trailer is basically crack to me, holy poo poo.

I do like Saints Row a lot, but as someone whose first PC game ever was Freespace 2 I'm very happy to see them making something new and different. They're a great developer, I don't want them to just be The Saints Row Guys.

Saints Row 4 was so loving great as an ending. I'll play anything these guys make.

I need to go back and play Descent and Freespace, I have really vague childhood memories of those games being the coolest goddamn thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

prefect posted:

I believe they meant failure as in that move wound up killing Baldur's Gate. (And if Mass Effect Andromeda's development issues are any indication, also possibly Mass Effect.)

Megazver posted:

So you don't actually like Saints Row, is what you're saying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

This has got a really strong Saturday morning cartoon vibe ... a tiny bit on the generic side
Generic Saturday morning cartoon was exactly what I thought while watching it.

Macaluso posted:

I'm a little sad to see so many comments on the youtube video for the trailer be "ugh this looks like poo poo, I just want another saints row". Like not even giving this a chance because they could be just making another saints row game instead. I mean I know it's youtube comments but still
I don't mind if they make stuff that isn't Saints Row, but this does look pretty poo poo. I'm not writing it off without seeing any actual gameplay or anything, but this trailer really didn't do anything for me at all.

Megazver posted:

the original idea was for a sort of alternate universe Saints Row game where the 3rd Street Saints were secret agents during the Cold War. Basically the pitch was what if Archer were an open-world sandbox game.
That, on the other hand, sounds amazing.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

this seems like they're trying to be both and I am neither sure I like it or believe it can succeed; using the line "a street gang? hardly" reminded me of the cringey "not your father's star trek" from advertising for the reboot, and combining that with the use of the fleur as a keystone in the marketing seems less a reference to the old series and just bludgeoning people over the head with it
If it's just sly references like that, that would be terrible. I'm guessing that as we see more though it's going to have some proper connections to Saints Row, because otherwise why hint at it like that? Still seems like a bad idea though.

happyhippy posted:

As much as I liked the last couple of SR games, I do feel like there's an unfilled niche there for GTA style games that don't suck (ie. Saints Row 2 style games).

Viridiant posted:

The ability to switch between main characters makes it sound like they're not going for a create-a-character thing
If that's the case, it will be very disappointing.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

one day there will be a bad GTA
Like, all of them except for Vice City and San Andreas? And even those two are borderline.

ReverendHammer posted:

I'd rather have Volition try some new things instead of SR getting stale.
I'm not at all opposed to them doing non-SR stuff, but I'm a bit worried that they're trying to have their cake and eat it too with this, by having it not be a Saints Row game but keep referencing Saints Row. That seems like a bad idea.

Lyer posted:

I think that was the whole idea. I think it would be super weird for a saints row game to go back to being "normal" after SR4
Either do a reboot, or make the cop ending from GOoH canon.

YggiDee posted:

Give me Saints Row level character creation or give me death.
Specifically, Saints Row 2 level. 3 and 4 were OK, but 2 still has the best character customisation and shopping.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bring back Geomod.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Johnny Gat should be a secret character and his super power is just being johnny Gat, which is enough for basically any problem.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Red Faction didn't get good until the third game in the series and Saints Row didn't get good until the second game, hopefully they don't bankrupt this publisher before the actual good installation can come out 5-7 years from now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lyer posted:

Johnny Gat should be a secret character and his super power is just being johnny Gat, which is enough for basically any problem.

Please god no

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Actually the entire cast should be secret unlockable characters.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Guy Mann posted:

Red Faction didn't get good until the third game in the series and Saints Row didn't get good until the second game, hopefully they don't bankrupt this publisher before the actual good installation can come out 5-7 years from now.

RF1 was good though?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Deakul posted:

RF1 was good though?

It was aping Half Life like everything around the early 2000's until Halo came along.

I'm not knocking it, I played the poo poo out of it on the PS2. But it was very HL-esque.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

i was kind of hoping for a game set in stilwater again. a reboot or something. Here's hoping this is just one of a few saints row games theyre announcing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

i was kind of hoping for a game set in stilwater again. a reboot or something. Here's hoping this is just one of a few saints row games theyre announcing

I'm so, so sick of reboots. Even if Mayhem isn't AAA+++++ Would Play Again material, I'm all for exploring new ideas.

• Locked thread