Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
In the MKX Story Mode Johnny Cage is actually an incredibly good dad and Sonya's the one who's the bad parent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

In the MKX Story Mode Johnny Cage is actually an incredibly good dad and Sonya's the one who's the bad parent

Classic case of ludonarrative dissonance. You think video games would grow up some day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That was 500 dollar focus-testing, rear end in a top hat

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Dias posted:

Injustice had some stupid balance issues during its early life, and it also had extremely powerful zoning characters, except they weren't the fun type of zoning character.
I don't believe in non-fun zoning characters. Emperor Zod did nothing wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

may contain peanuts posted:

of course you don't

not that I disagree, it's just the least surprising thing i've heard all day

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
MKX is a good game if you're an MK fan, and if MK jank has always bothered you there's no reason to think they would suddenly start trying to cater to you now.

It's also a better game in like every way than SFV, which is kind of a bummer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

may contain peanuts posted:

Look, I like fireball spam as much as any other guy but c'mon Zod was kinda dumb.

Although to be fair at least he wasn't "Can Do Everything Ever" Kabal. God, Kabal was a thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

rev is really good so far

jan seems really fun to play

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

That was 500 dollar focus-testing, rear end in a top hat

:hfive:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

Look, I like fireball spam as much as any other guy but c'mon Zod was kinda dumb.

Although to be fair at least he wasn't "Can Do Everything Ever" Kabal. God, Kabal was a thing.

which ninja is he

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The best description I've heard of a Mortal Kombat game was during Evo 2014, when somebody said MK9 looked like a fake fighting game. As in, the kind being played on a TV show or in a movie because they couldn't get the rights to a real game or be bothered to learn how to get footage of decent people playing a real game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

which ninja is he

he's double hook ninja

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The best description I've heard of a Mortal Kombat game was during Evo 2014, when somebody said MK9 looked like a fake fighting game. As in, the kind being played on a TV show or in a movie because they couldn't get the rights to a real game or be bothered to learn how to get footage of decent people playing a real game.

No that's Killer Instinct

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Yeah, whoever said that was talking about KI, not MK.

But at least KI plays like an actual fighting game, albeit an extremely ugly one. Like, KI has actual hitstun and uses 2D hitboxes. MK... doesn't. It looks like people flailing around and is hard to read moves visually.

Look, I understand that MK originally came from a time before the genre standards were set in stone, but the vast majority of 2D fighters use the basic mechanics of Street Fighter II as a base, and there's a reason for that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Brosnan posted:

MKX is a good game if you're an MK fan, and if MK jank has always bothered you there's no reason to think they would suddenly start trying to cater to you now.

It's also a better game in like every way than SFV, which is kind of a bummer.

is it really a tragic and horrendous thing that people like MKX more than a game that was way less whole on release, or is this an extension of the prevelant "play guilty gear or eat poo poo" mindset

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

if superman isnt by far the best char in injustice 2 again they're loving up

canon tiers only

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like SFV more than MKX

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
MKX is a game I wish I could enjoy but can't because of how weird the controls felt to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Broken Loose posted:

This is staggeringly accurate.

Visually yes. The character design and art style are crazy generic. Gameplay wise not really. Killer Instinct does well enough to standout in that department.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
MKX is the Slipknot to SF5's Kanye, XRD's Pearl Jam and anime poverty fighters' J-pop credits song bullshit.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a 2D game with 3D strings. After you "understand" that, it's not all that awkward. Also I don't get the "no hitstun" complaint, it doesn't have great hitsparks, but you can hitconfirm poo poo in that game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Electromax posted:

MKX is the Slipknot to SF5's Kanye, XRD's Pearl Jam and anime poverty fighters' J-pop credits song bullshit.

so SF5 is the only good game here??

I don't follow this analogy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Electromax posted:

apt analogy especially since not even Kanye's latest albums appears finished, it still is getting updated

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
In that case I guess Smash Bros is Insane Clown Posse

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

I agree, SF5 is good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gammatron 64 posted:

In that case I guess Smash Bros is Insane Clown Posse

I think Smash Bros would be Dragon Force or Yngwie Malmstien. Something technically impressive but completely soulless.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dias posted:

It's a 2D game with 3D strings. After you "understand" that, it's not all that awkward. Also I don't get the "no hitstun" complaint, it doesn't have great hitsparks, but you can hitconfirm poo poo in that game.

They meant hitSTOP not hitstun.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

is it really a tragic and horrendous thing that people like MKX more than a game that was way less whole on release, or is this an extension of the prevelant "play guilty gear or eat poo poo" mindset

Should I have posted a trigger warning before saying MKX is a decent game or do you think you'd still find a way to be weirdly offended

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sarchasm posted:

I think Smash Bros would be Dragon Force or Yngwie Malmstien. Something technically impressive but completely soulless.

Nah.

Following the original metaphor, Smash Bros would be Dogs Playing Cards.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lord Chumley posted:

They meant hitSTOP not hitstun.

Oh, as in a FREEZE when you get a hit. I'unno, I still think it's fine. People talk about hits in MK "feeling bad" but they'll complain VF5 is underappreciated so

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I hope Injustice 2 changes things so you feel like you're actually playing as superheroes. Like I'm not a huge Marvel 3 fan but it's pretty good about making the Marvel characters move like they should. Characters that fly in the comics can actually fly, characters with more unique movement like Spiderman have that, and everyone can just jump three stories high because gently caress it. Injustice had a shitload of characters that fly around constantly in their original media but in the game that translates to hovering six inches above the ground so they don't have to animate walking, a couple characters have air dashes in one direction, and one character gets a flight mode but does anyone even still remember that Hawkgirl is in the game? None of this is what turned me off of the game compared to the actual mechanics but it still felt really weird that Superman couldn't actually fly and nobody could actually scroll the screen up outside of a cutscene.

They won't fix that, but I can still hope.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Smash Bros. is Queen

Melee is Another One Bites the Dust, Brawl is We Are the Champions, 3DS/Wii U is I Want It All

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Smash Bros. is Queen

Surely Guilty Gear should be Queen. It has anime Freddie Mercury as a playable character already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm very confused by these analogies.

Can Blazblue be Muse after Black Holes... then?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

marvel 3 is the techno club song from the first blade

on repeat for 5 years

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Surely Guilty Gear should be Queen. It has anime Freddie Mercury as a playable character already.

i agree

smash is def the monkees

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fereydun posted:

on repeat for 5 years

marvel 2 is sandstorm by darude

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

+R is Queen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fereydun posted:

on repeat for 5 years

marvel 3 is justin bieber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008