Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What new powers do you believe are being introduced?

Bulk interception, extra powers for equipment interference and ability to compel companies to assist them in such and making all but the smallest ISPs log every connection for 12 months. (Didn't you yourself say that ICRs are new and also kinda poo poo?)

Were they allowed to do all this before legally? If yes, do enlighten me. If not, I am counting giving them legal power to do so as giving them a new power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't this literally the punchline of a Bird and Fortune sketch?

Iirc something similar happened to an American tank back in, poo poo I can't even remember which middle eastern war, I want to say the post 9/11 invasion? Something like their fancy turbine driven MBT that was supposed to own the battlefield ended up having cripplingly short service intervals because its designers hadn't expected it to be loving around in a desert.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The bill gives a massive power to the security services to access vaguely defined "internet connection records" with, as far as I know, no obligation to go before a judge to get a warrant.

The bill also creates new obligations (particularly to CSPs) relating to encryption, and both Cameron and May have said that it's their intent to hobble encryption completely.

There's also the fact that the practices it allowed, even if it is status quo ante by either law or practice, overreach too far and too deep.

This is a bill with sloppy definitions, sloppy writing, and has been universally derided by experts in the field it affects as being not just unnecessary, but incredibly harmful.

But hey, at least we've been given the right to sniff poppers again.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
On the alt-right topic - is there a point when all those clueless libertarians turned into outright fascists? Can anyone pinpoint it?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

TinTower posted:

This is a bill with sloppy definitions, sloppy writing, and has been universally derided by experts in the field it affects as being not just unnecessary, but incredibly harmful.

Hey, can't blame them for wanting to be consistent with the legislation they write.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

The bill also creates new obligations (particularly to CSPs) relating to encryption, and both Cameron and May have said that it's their intent to hobble encryption completely.
Some of the Equipment Interference bits do have fair precedent dating back to the '94 Intelligence Services Act, but afaik this is the first time that a CSP can be compelled into breaking their own security, and definitely the first time that they can be forced into silence under threat of prosecution. So yeah, it can gently caress off. They've said that it won't apply to encryption on foreign CSPs though, mostly because they can't enforce it, so good work promoting British business there guys. :eng99:

OvineYeast posted:

On the alt-right topic - is there a point when all those clueless libertarians turned into outright fascists? Can anyone pinpoint it?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Does anyone know how the mental health act works in Scotland with regard to involuntary sectioning? Apparently that was supposed to happen to my sister in law if she refused treatment after taking an overdose last week but it didn't for some reason and now she's vanished.

http://www.mwcscot.org.uk/the-law/mental-health-act/emergency-detention/

This seems like the best resource I can find on the topic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kaislioc posted:

Bulk interception, extra powers for equipment interference and ability to compel companies to assist them in such and making all but the smallest ISPs log every connection for 12 months. (Didn't you yourself say that ICRs are new and also kinda poo poo?)

Were they allowed to do all this before legally? If yes, do enlighten me. If not, I am counting giving them legal power to do so as giving them a new power.

Bulk interception is an update to and restriction of powers under the Intelligence Services Act, Wireless and Telegraphy Act, and a clarification of powers under RIPA. The intelligence services will have considerably less ability to do bulk interception than under the old rules (in particular it removes the loophole that allowed them to intercept cables that transit rather than terminate in the United Kingdom).

Equipment interference is a literal transcription of powers under RIPA and (in case you believed that particular El Reg article and the multitude of bollocks that cited it) does *not* require anyone selling a mobile phone in the UK to give the keys to HMG. This is a misunderstanding of the interaction between RIPA part 1 and RIPA Part 3 powers that would need (and have) literal volumes to properly explain. For the purposes of this post though, it's sufficient to say no, it's not a new power.

CSPs already log comms data (i.e. IP address resolution and phone billing data) for 12 months under DRIPA and would definitely be doing so without legal compunction because that's literally how fraud prevention and phone bills work.

ICRs have the possibility of being terrible. They're an attempt to help resolve the problems of carrier-grade NAT and proxying being used, particularly on mobile networks but increasingly on fixed-line networks as IPv4 exhaustion really starts to bite. In those circumstances, simple IP>consumer mapping will not be possible. The problem is that there are multiple different ways this is done and so some companies would have to log port ranges as well as IPs, some would have to log every single packet, and some would have to log every website visited, and some would have to log combinations of them. Now the problem is that CSPs (mostly) wanted a law that said "CSPs have to log enough data to identify a user given <x> data" but none of them could agree on what <x> data would be.

Because there was no way to put that power into legalese that satisfied the laywers on both sides, the ICR powers are a compromise that basically kick it into the long grass and leave HMG to negotiate with individual CSPs. However most CSPs are concerned that the wording is sufficiently vague that they won't be able to properly negotiate and could face imposition of overly-onerous logging requirements. However they do *not* represent an additional risk to individual privacy because access to them will be governed by the new, much more restrictive, CD rules.

The other big problem with it (and again this is a problem of "this is a loving stupid idea that won't work" rather than "this will let parking wardens access my webcam" proportions) is the extraterritorial extension to RIPA Part 1 powers. I mean sure we can tell, say, vk.ru that they have to hand over all of Vladimir Putin's late-night chats with girls who turned him down at the KGB Academy, but they can tell us to gently caress off and that's the end of that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Don't forget, its the Dave and Nige Summer Road show on itv at 9!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

OvineYeast posted:

#gamergate

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Anyone else watching tonights shitshow on ITV? I'm gonna see how long I can manage without punching something.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Trickjaw posted:

Don't forget, its the Dave and Nige Summer Road show on itv at 9!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't see a problem there. I trust Nige more than Dave.

To the extent that Trust is a factor of predictability.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
You know Nigel Farage reminds me of a more froggy Edward from the League of Gentlemen, "This is a local country for local people, we'll have no immigrants here!", which would make Boris Tubbs, I can just picture him suckling a piglet for David Cameron in the good old days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Does anyone have bingo cards for this?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Should reiterate again that the warrant requirements on ICRs are weak to non-existent. The other warrants don't have to get judicial approval before their use, IIRC.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

So they've managed to talk themselves into the nerd version of some of the most ridiculous of religious thought that they consider themselves above, but instead of an omnipotent god who can torture you for eternity it's a time traveling omnipotent AI, and lack the accompanying theodicy to deal with it. No wonder they spawned a movement that traces all of the world's ills to the Enlightenment.
To be fair I don't think any of the more mainstream monotheistic religions have a working answer to the problem of evil either

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zephro posted:

To be fair I don't think any of the more mainstream monotheistic religions have a working answer to the problem of evil either

its using trident

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's one of those things that originally came from Skinner's study of pigeons, that occasionally makes waves of agreement or dismissal in some philosophy of science types, 'superstition in the pigeon' iirc.

And always ends up as 'define superstition'. The best to an answer that doesn't disappear straight down the rabbit hole of umwelt, and that may have been backed up by modern neurology although dead salmon goes here, is that behavioral patterns that are at least the precursors of human superstition appear in some animal species.

Zephro posted:

You can get pigeons to believe all sorts of wacky poo poo* with a Skinner box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uPmeWiFTIw

*You can get them to make associations that aren't in fact true. If you have a box that releases some seed on a 20 second timer (say) and the pigeon happens to be turning left when that happens, it will try to turn left again to get the seeds to come out. IIRC a box that releases seeds somewhat unpredictably (eg 20 seconds +/- 5) the effect can get even stronger. You can call that "superstition" or not but it seems like it's in the same general ballpark.

Prince John posted:

Interesting. That reminds me of the Five Monkeys experiment - I guess there's a kernel of truth, so it's not 100% superstition, but still a passing on of a belief that none of the monkeys present have directly experienced.

Thanks for all this, I'll look into it further but not wildly convinced by these examples. The reason I specified ethological sources is that ethology is generally focused on animal behaviour under natural conditions which neither of these experiments are at all. I have no problem agreeing that animals (or people) put into an unnatural environment and then put under stress will start to act crazy but don't see why this should be called 'superstition'.
Jane Goodall and some of her colleagues have recorded what could be considered proto-religious behaviour among wild chimpanzees - best I could find quickly here Waterfall displays and rain dances - which are a far better example of percursors to human religiosity imo.
Should also say that my old man is a psychobiologist and developmental psychologist who is really not keen on Skinner at all so I'm pre-biased :)
And.. as if by coincidence, he just phoned - didn't really want to talk about this (called to tell me that Jerome Bruner has died) but he did say that he'd consider what is being called 'superstition' here as really a function of 'imagination' which he considers much more important in animals, human and otherwise.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 7, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

164 Labour MPs voted for the Investigatory Powers Bill. Corbyn is conspicuous by his absence in the Hansard record.

More Lib Dems voted against the bill than Labour MPs. Daniel Kawczynscki is the sole Tory rebel.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Lol Farage just pulled the Calm down dear tactic

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
He's such a poo poo.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jose posted:

its using trident
Hm, nuke god you say. You are Lord Asriel and I claim my five pounds

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

He's such a poo poo.
And going further. I hope the audience isn't worn out by the time Dave rocks up.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Farage just got shot down by a woman in the audiance.

Maybe this won't be so bad after all :unsmith:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Don't forget humans have spent the last 10,000 years building a huge and profoundly unnatural environment for themselves to live in, and the importance of the most unnatural bits has grown steadily over that time. Our brains suck bad at getting themselves around concepts like "probability" and "randomness" and "causality" and "risk" etc etc. So much so that we had to invent formal systems like maths and logic to overcome our cognitive biases.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Maybe not a 100% working solution (I don't think any major philosophy at all claims to have that) but they certainly have centuries of thought from different scholars and cleric-philosophers in addition to a wide variety of syncretism that gives more culturally interesting answers, whether they're complex semi-gnostic mythologies or semi-psychologies or just "because you touch yourself".

I don't think even the most transparent megachurch would say that the specific and sole cause of evil or potential future torment is that you didn't give enough money to their Jesus Intelligence Research Institute, although evangelicals do continue to surprise me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zephro posted:

Hm, nuke god you say. You are Lord Asriel and I claim my five pounds

global nuclear annihilation seems easier but i'm down for any use of trident. it costs so loving much we should make use of it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Don't forget humans have spent the last 10,000 years building a huge and profoundly unnatural environment for themselves to live in, and the importance of the most unnatural bits has grown steadily over that time. Our brains suck bad at getting themselves around concepts like "probability" and "randomness" and "causality" and "risk" etc etc. So much so that we had to invent formal systems like maths and logic to overcome our cognitive biases.
Was this in response to the theodicy thing or the security bill passing? :v:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Haha haha *angrily brandished European passport*

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
maths is stupid and i bet in the future they will think we were so silly for believing in it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Should reiterate again that the warrant requirements on ICRs are weak to non-existent. The other warrants don't have to get judicial approval before their use, IIRC.

There is no requirement for a warrant for an ICR because an ICR is not itself a thing that can be requested by an agency, like intercept - it is comms data held en masse by CSPs. It sounds like splitting hairs but its an incredibly important distinction and it's entirely possible that misunderstanding this is at the heart of a lot of the more wildly inaccurate reporting of the problems.

Disclosure of data comes under CD regulations and has the same protections against disproportionate or overly-broad requests and has post-facto judicial oversight. Not ideal but disclosures run into the tens of thousands a week because even a simple road accident investigation could require a dozen disclosure notices, including several under (D)RIPA (to confirm whether or not a driver was making a call at the time of the crash). Judicial oversight of that would be impossible without employing a couple of thousand more judges to do nothing more than rubber-stamp them.

(Disclosure law generally is actually pretty poor in the UK, but by far the largest abusers of it are banks and debt collection companies and lord knows we're never allowed to criticise them)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This wanker wearing his dad's suit who hates UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS :byodood: has an incredibly punchable face.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Zephro posted:

:agreed:
Modern humans are all crazy. That's why I'm a prehistorian.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Pesmerga posted:

This wanker wearing his dad's suit who hates UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS :byodood: has an incredibly punchable face.

"The United Kingdom was built on the pillars of democracy and our legal system is the greatest in the world." :allears:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
There's a disproportionate number of smug looking fat men in suits on the Brexit side.

Kaislioc posted:

"The United Kingdom was built on the pillars of democracy and our legal system is the greatest in the world." :allears:

Some Commissioners may not even have visited are cuntry!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I only saw the last 10 minutes and was wondering why David was getting all the air time until I remembered that they aren't actually debating each other.

God what a boring waste of time.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Kaislioc posted:

Bless the little soul. Watching it was really disconcerting, obviously itv had stacked the deck wrt questions so they get all the headlines, but it all seemed so.. staged. I ended up hoping for some Question Time post pub ducks, and both the funds sweating their shiny suits off. Yes there were a lot of men that looked like fat thumbs, chuckling and shaking their heads at answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/740276762148544514

• Locked thread