Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A man should never refuse to taste a peach for hours.

Wrong Cage movie but gently caress you whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Because after what happened last episode either:

1- Arya dies, like anyone should after being stabbed in the belly like that (which would terrible storytelling)

This wraps everything up really good and it's a clever twist, IMHO

I went around researching stab wounds (my poor internet history) after the ep ended, and you can apparently survive it, and plenty of people do. Worst risk is losing too much blood. The body is hella resilient.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

[Borat voice]

Mai Waif
[whispering]
"Hey Glisening Hodor, it's Hogge Wild's birthday, did you sign the card?"
"Not yet."
"Here."
"To the H-man..."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I went around researching stab wounds (my poor internet history) after the ep ended, and you can apparently survive it, and plenty of people do. Worst risk is losing too much blood. The body is hella resilient.

except up until the late 19th early 20th century gut wounds where the intestine is perforated or whatever would leak into the abdominal cavity to fester and kill slowly over days

depending on where the blade went and whether or not she can find a maester to make her some fantasy penicillin it could go either way

really curious why everyone looked at her like she was a pariah though

i wasn't expecting them to react like dickens characters and rush to her aid in a crinkle of crinoline but that look on they faces like she poo poo herself at the debutante ball...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Season 7 finale: Syrio Forel is everyone and there's an awkward moment when everyone realizes they're Syrio Forel.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shageletic posted:

I'm sure the Waif took great care to sterilize the knife beforehand, and Braavos' strict water purity requirements guarantee that no bacteria could have possibly entered her abdominal cavity after her dunk in the canal. And certainly none of her vital organs would be at risk, after all Arya is a huge fatass so the dagger probably never got past her huge abdominal fat layer. Not that it matters though, a quick course of Augmentin prescribed by her local maester should clear any possible infection right up! Gotta watch out though, the Faceless Men prescription drug plan has really high copays (which along with the long wait times at the local apothecary is the major theme of Arya's arc next week).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Subvisual Haze posted:

I'm sure the Waif took great care to sterilize the knife beforehand, and Braavos' strict water purity requirements guarantee that no bacteria could have possibly entered her abdominal cavity after her dunk in the canal. And certainly none of her vital organs would be at risk, after all Arya is a huge fatass so the dagger probably never got past her huge abdominal fat layer. Not that it matters though, a quick course of Augmentin prescribed by her local maester should clear any possible infection right up! Gotta watch out though, the Faceless Men prescription drug plan has really high copays (which along with the long wait times at the local apothecary is the major theme of Arya's arc next week).
The thing is its a tv show and they could just write it that way anyway. Releasing the hounds can scare off the ironborn. 20 men can kill stannis's army. It could happen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

syscall girl posted:

i wasn't expecting them to react like dickens characters and rush to her aid in a crinkle of crinoline but that look on they faces like she poo poo herself at the debutante ball...

Braavos is the city where swordsmen kill each other all the time isn't it? Seeing some kid with stab wounds to the gut probably made most of them figure "look at this dumbass kid who fight a Bravosi and lost."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We've known that Braavosis give no shits all season. Some of them were entertained by the Waif beating on a blind beggar.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The thing is its a tv show and they could just write it that way anyway. Releasing the hounds can scare off the ironborn. 20 men can kill stannis's army. It could happen.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
imo when you live in a city founded by a secret society of assassins that wiped out the most powerful civilisation your world has ever known, you should not go around making a big deal of people getting stabbed

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MC Eating Disorder posted:

imo when you live in a city founded by a secret society of assassins that wiped out the most powerful civilisation your world has ever known, you should not go around making a big deal of people getting stabbed

You think the faceless men caused the doom? Not just that they stabbed some slaves and some masters?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

You think the faceless men caused the doom? Not just that they stabbed some slaves and some masters?

Yeah it's pretty much confirmed in "A world of ice and fire".

The Valyrians were harvesting the magical power of "the fourteen flames", an active volcanic ridge which surrounded the Valyrian peninsula, there were wizards who performed the rites which prevented the volcanoes for erupting (these rites naturally involved near constant human sacrifice), the doom happened when the faceless murdered all of these wizards during the course of one night which somehow caused the massive simulatneous eruption of all 14 volcanoes and wiped out Valyria in its entirety in the course of one evening, that's why the sea around Valyria is still smoking, This is what the kindly man refers to when he tells Arya that the masters were also the recipients of the gift.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah it's pretty much confirmed in "A world of ice and fire".

The Valyrians were harvesting the magical power of "the fourteen flames", an active volcanic ridge which surrounded the Valyrian peninsula, there were wizards who performed the rites which prevented the volcanoes for erupting (these rites naturally involved near constant human sacrifice), the doom happened when the faceless murdered all of these wizards during the course of one night which somehow caused the massive simulatneous eruption of all 14 volcanoes and wiped out Valyria in its entirety in the course of one evening, that's why the sea around Valyria is still smoking, This is what the kindly man refers to when he tells Arya that the masters were also the recipients of the gift.

wouldn't that have killed all the faceless men too...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

kcroy posted:

wouldn't that have killed all the faceless men too...

Braavos was founded long before the doom. There was a railroad situation where slaves escaping from Valyria and the other freehold cities (the valyrian empire was a confederation of city-states, not a proper empire ruled from Valyria itself) founded a secret city and somehow managed to have kept its location hidden from people who had dozens of dragons at their disposal. I think it's safe to assume that the faceless have just prepared for the doom in advance and switched their base of operations to braavos before they melted the valyrian peninsula down.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 8, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

It would kill exactly 14 faceless men if the rest of them caught a ship to bravos first. I mean it sounds like there's 14 wizards that had to be simultaneously stabbed.

Okay so Aegon the conqueror comes over with dragons and steel to conquer the first men, 113 years after his valyria blows up? Was it a doom or wasn't it? What the gently caress was he doing for a hundred years before they decided to become incest rulers of another continent?

Like, if a meteor had hit rome proper, some general or tax collectors who happened to be out in the provinces at the time might survive, and they get word the homeland has fallen and 100 years later go conquer england?

Ugh do I need to buy this book?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impression that the Targaryans hosed off to Dragonstone before the doom and managed to dodge its effects and then just hung out there for a century before they had the bright idea of using their nifty dragons to conquer this continent they've been hanging next to for 100 years but I haven't read the books in a long time and I haven't read aWoIaF either

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Didn't , nymeria, burn her ships upon reaching dragonstone? To say we're not going back this poo poo is as good as conquered.And you're saying after making that declaration, the targaryens waited 100 years before they started?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, Daenys the Dreamer prophesied of the doom of Valyria like a century before it happened and the Targs and their dragons went and established themselves in Dragonstone. Houses Celtigar and Velaryon are also Valyrian houses which established themselves in the narrow sea before the doom.

And I couldn't finish "a world of..", I don't think it's very engaging.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How is it structured? Maps and fake history and lineages? The parts of the books I skipped over? Here's everybody from house lannister, etc?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Krinkle posted:

Didn't , nymeria, burn her ships upon reaching dragonstone? To say we're not going back this poo poo is as good as conquered.And you're saying after making that declaration, the targaryens waited 100 years before they started?

nymeria was queen of the rhoynar who did burn their ships when they landed, but they landed in dorne

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Am I the only one that thought Ian McShanes part were pretty bad? The way he urged the workers in the start really rubbed me the wrong way. I hated pretty much everything about that location, from the way four guys really struggled with carrying the not-very-heavy-looking logs to the Hounds grrr-i'm-angry chopping of wood. Could've had him waking up in the middle of the forest instead and having him witness the Brotherhood-without-motivation instead...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

How is it structured? Maps and fake history and lineages? The parts of the books I skipped over? Here's everybody from house lannister, etc?

It's written from the POV of a maester who's preparing an overview of the history of Westeros for Robert or Joffrey, it's only interesting as far as it adds some background detail on several mysterious past events and fan theories but there aren't that many of those.

I'd say the following kinda sums it up:
1. the stuff about Valyria and the faceless I wrote.
2. Rhaegar only 'kidnapped' Lyanna about a year after the tourney at Harrenhal, surprisingly right next to Harrenhal at Oldstones (which is a location GRRM specifically mentions is a place where lovers go to frolick) which really makes it rather obvious that they fell in love during the tourney and then agreed to meet back there a year later to elope or some poo poo.
3. The tragedy of summerhall was the result of Egg trying to hatch dragon eggs with Wildfire.

There are a few other minor details such as: Dragons are magically\genetically engineered from volcanic lizards native to Valyria, Dragons do have a sex (aemon was wrong), all valyrian magic was based on human sacrifice (Fire & Blood is not just a house slogan, it describes the recipe to hatching dragons and performing miracles).

etc etc.

So yeah if you're a huge nerd like me you might enjoy it on some level but ultimately it gets boring.

And yeah Nymeria had nothing to do with Aegon's conquest and the Targaryens actually camped on Dragonstone for almost two centuries iirc before Aegon landed at the mouth of the blackwater and proclaimed himself King of Westeros.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anders posted:

Am I the only one that thought Ian McShanes part were pretty bad? The way he urged the workers in the start really rubbed me the wrong way. I hated pretty much everything about that location, from the way four guys really struggled with carrying the not-very-heavy-looking logs to the Hounds grrr-i'm-angry chopping of wood. Could've had him waking up in the middle of the forest instead and having him witness the Brotherhood-without-motivation instead...

no I agree completely, also I think its pretty telling that one of the D's makes some glib comment about how pacifism just doesn't work in the GoT universe, like pacifism works perfectly in our world? I dunno I just think there's a much more interesting story you could tell with a septon who gave up his killing ways completely rather than just "is killed by bandits immediately"

I mean I know McShane only signed on because it was a very brief part but it felt like a huge waste of both the actor and the character

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

We've known that Braavosis give no shits all season. Some of them were entertained by the Waif beating on a blind beggar.

Well thats because all they could see was a crazy girl beating herself

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Ugh do I need to buy this book?

gently caress that I will find you a digital copy before you send any more money to the fatman.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

It would kill exactly 14 faceless men if the rest of them caught a ship to bravos first. I mean it sounds like there's 14 wizards that had to be simultaneously stabbed.

Sure if it was some quest in a game. I would see it more like they go about their stabby stabby gifts and somewhere along the line poo poo goes wrong and they all die in waves of loving lava. I guess yeah - some lower level missionary assassins in Bravos probably found out about it and were like "welp, guess we run the church now" or w/e. Or jerked off in glee at all the people they killed.

I was thinking that blood magic is probably responsible for the whole face magic poo poo - and they have like.. seriously banked death-karma-magic. Just geeking out, but would be cool if each assassin had to get kills/sacrifices to power up their assassin abilities. So you start off low level, get some kills - learn how to move quietly.. get some more kills.. which fuels new skill set - with poo poo like face changing and other glamours sort of being your mid tier skills. Or maybe the house serves as a storage for death magic, and each kill/sacrifice fuels it up more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arya figured out how to copy her face. Next episode will have a recreation of the final heist of the Thomas Crown Affair with Arya faces instead of bowler hats.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

kcroy posted:

Sure if it was some quest in a game. I would see it more like they go about their stabby stabby gifts and somewhere along the line poo poo goes wrong and they all die in waves of loving lava. I guess yeah - some lower level missionary assassins in Bravos probably found out about it and were like "welp, guess we run the church now" or w/e. Or jerked off in glee at all the people they killed.

I was thinking that blood magic is probably responsible for the whole face magic poo poo - and they have like.. seriously banked death-karma-magic. Just geeking out, but would be cool if each assassin had to get kills/sacrifices to power up their assassin abilities. So you start off low level, get some kills - learn how to move quietly.. get some more kills.. which fuels new skill set - with poo poo like face changing and other glamours sort of being your mid tier skills. Or maybe the house serves as a storage for death magic, and each kill/sacrifice fuels it up more.

Sounds like an epic quest line in a asoiaf skyrim mod.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bethesda were in discussions to make a GoT game around the time the first season happened and they just wanted to do their own thing.

I think Bethesda and GRRM colliding is a perfect combination of awful and awful though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Bethesda and GRRM colliding is a perfect combination of awful and awful though.

Seems like a good fit, neither of them ever finish their work.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ozzy Man Reviews posted:

Now in regards to this cameo, young Lyanna Mormont kicked it in the dick!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Anders posted:

I thought it was pretty bad because the Hound's chopping technique was terrible. Overhead swings, not over shoulder dammit! You'll throw your back out like that. And you could tell he's probably never chopped wood before because one log basically exploded at the slightest tap. When an axe hits wood it tends to go through it, not stop at the top of the log while everything below splits nicely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ian McShane was good, having the Hound back is good. But the whole things was dumb and specially the way it ended

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ok, so I'm a good ways into the fourth book*. and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Arya. After her dad died, she got spirited away by the Night Watch, disguised as a boy. OK, great. Good story hook. then her Night Watch protector dies, oh no, nobody knows her secret, she's gotta rely on herself, the stakes are raised. Spends too long in some castle with a magic murder man, but then she's back on the road, this time with her own posse. She's leading her band of merry men, one of whom is secretly the rightful heir to the throne. That's good poo poo, that's a great story. But then they leave. And I'm like, what, was that too potentially interesting of a story? And then she teams up with Sandor Clegane, and we are reminded yet again that Sandor Clegane is a gritty, misunderstood anti-hero, weak only to fire-type Pokemon. And then she leaves him to die, gets on a boat for some reason, goes to Venice, and gets a job as a janitor at Dignitas. They tell her they'll fire her unless she throws away all her stuff, which she does, but then they fire her anyway, and she gets a job as a clam digger.

I have no idea where any on this is going or why it's happening

*I can't even remember the names of these loving things anymore. Without checking, I'm just gonna say that fourth book is called Too Many Crows.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought it was pretty bad because the Hound's chopping technique was terrible. Overhead swings, not over shoulder dammit! You'll throw your back out like that. And you could tell he's probably never chopped wood before because one log basically exploded at the slightest tap. When an axe hits wood it tends to go through it, not stop at the top of the log while everything below splits nicely.

lol i noticed the same thing

ofc why would any drat actor or director know how to chop wood

and it kinda fits, because why would a knight either, its a job for peasant

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

My ~*~ GIRLFRIEND ~*~ says you're stupid.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

Ok, so I'm a good ways into the fourth book*. and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Arya. After her dad died, she got spirited away by the Night Watch, disguised as a boy. OK, great. Good story hook. then her Night Watch protector dies, oh no, nobody knows her secret, she's gotta rely on herself, the stakes are raised. Spends too long in some castle with a magic murder man, but then she's back on the road, this time with her own posse. She's leading her band of merry men, one of whom is secretly the rightful heir to the throne. That's good poo poo, that's a great story. But then they leave. And I'm like, what, was that too potentially interesting of a story? And then she teams up with Sandor Clegane, and we are reminded yet again that Sandor Clegane is a gritty, misunderstood anti-hero, weak only to fire-type Pokemon. And then she leaves him to die, gets on a boat for some reason, goes to Venice, and gets a job as a janitor at Dignitas. They tell her they'll fire her unless she throws away all her stuff, which she does, but then they fire her anyway, and she gets a job as a clam digger.

I have no idea where any on this is going or why it's happening

*I can't even remember the names of these loving things anymore. Without checking, I'm just gonna say that fourth book is called Too Many Crows.

i read them all during a month or two, and i don't either remember which thing happened in which book or what their names were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
My best guess for the titles, in order

The Game of Thrones
The Clash of Kings
Swordtime
Too Many Crows
Dragons! Dragons! Dragons!