Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There were 3 Ross near me that closed at 10:30, 11, and 11:30, so I was able to visit them. Only 1 store had them, and only in 9, 9.5 in white/pink.

The chance that I might find them in 11.5 seems pretty low. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

You've already gotten yourself better at golf than most amateur golfers will ever be so you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if the guy you're taking lessons from is any good or not. Just ask lots of questions and if he can't explain why he's having you do a particular drill then just find someone else who can.

Yeah, the lesson was awesome. I had the right idea regarding what I was doing wrong but was not going about fixing it the right way. Video analysis of my swing by an actual pro was a huge eye opener. Some mishits obviously with the changes but the good shots were the best I have ever hit a golf ball. I'm an idiot for not doing this sooner but oh well, better late than never. Great too because I have video of the lesson and notes that I can refer back to.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I have been playing pretty much once a week for the past few months and my hands are still just totally hosed at the end of 18 holes. Both hands are sore and tender actually, but the main spots seem to be my right thumb (the fingerprint part) and the fleshy part between my first and second knuckle on my right index finger. AKA, where the thumb and index finger touch. Am I squeezing with my fingers too hard or do my clubs need better quality grips? The skin is just so sensitive and painful by the end that my last few holes always suck. I assumed I would just need to toughen those areas up but its not getting any better.

I'm a 6'2" man but I have fairly small hands and thick, fat, shortish fingers. Undersize grips?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Your right thumb and index finger shouldn't be touching. The pad of your thumb should be on the grip. Sounds like your grips are too small or you're doing some really funky stuff with your fingers.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

cheese posted:

Am I squeezing with my fingers too hard

Probably. In the first chapter of Hogan's book he recommends gripping the club with your right thumb and index finger completely off the shaft to get the correct feel. Too much pressure from those two fingers is not good.

If your grips are really old, new ones are a very good idea too. You can DIY for very cheap too.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
drat my home course would destroy those pretty shoes. I reckon companies should do testing there, if a set of golf shoes lasts me 1 year it's good quality. My latest FootJoys have passed the test so far.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

There were 3 Ross near me that closed at 10:30, 11, and 11:30, so I was able to visit them. Only 1 store had them, and only in 9, 9.5 in white/pink.

The chance that I might find them in 11.5 seems pretty low. :(

Sup size 11.5 shoe person. I'll check the Ross near my house tonight but like you, doubtful to find that size.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

BCRock posted:

Your right thumb and index finger shouldn't be touching. The pad of your thumb should be on the grip. Sounds like your grips are too small or you're doing some really funky stuff with your fingers.
Sorry, I meant "where they touch" as in where my thumb would naturally touch my index finger outside of a golf context. That part of my index finger.

ironlung posted:

Probably. In the first chapter of Hogan's book he recommends gripping the club with your right thumb and index finger completely off the shaft to get the correct feel. Too much pressure from those two fingers is not good.

If your grips are really old, new ones are a very good idea too. You can DIY for very cheap too.
The grips are not old, I just wonder if there is a softer, smoother material out there I can use. Its a year old Adams Idea A12 OS set with a few other clubs at the ends.

I think you are right that I'm probably holding the club too strongly.

cheese fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 8, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I guess I gotta go check out the Ross down the street at lunch. I think they are hit or miss, some don't have any golf related anything in them..

On another note, has anyone ever used a Trilogy 408 putter? (http://www.trilogixgolf.com/) I hadn't seen anything like it until I was messing around a local store the other day. It actually rolls really nice, it's kinda heavy, but somehow the ball off the face feels much better than most putters I've used, it was really surprising.

Edit: you know what, I just realized that Trilogix is a local golf club maker and it seems like the putters are sold exclusively at store I frequent in the Charlotte area so no one here has probably seen them anywhere. Pretty sure the guy that makes them I heard about a couple years ago who was working on weird shaped putter that prevented hitting off target, like you couldn't push the putt or anything though I remember that putter having a different look than this one.

I kinda of want one.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 8, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

cheese posted:

Sorry, I meant "where they touch" as in where my thumb would naturally touch my index finger outside of a golf context. That part of my index finger.

The grips are not old, I just wonder if there is a softer, smoother material out there I can use. Its a year old Adams Idea A12 OS set with a few other clubs at the ends.

I think you are right that I'm probably holding the club too strongly.

I use Winn Dri-Tac grips and cannot speak highly enough of them

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
There's nothing wrong with a firm grip but if you're causing pain I would loosen up a bit. Personally I find when my grip is tight the increased hand tension works into my wrists and forearms and I struggle letting the club head release naturally. I hit my best shots with the most minimal grip pressure possible. That's just me of course but my point is it's not necessary to strangle the club to swing it.

Summit fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 8, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When I got my first set of irons as a teenager, I got them with Golf Sprite Tour Velvet Cord grips because that's what Tiger used.

Nowadays those grips cost like $10 each so I try to get Lamkin Full Cords when they're on sale.

I really don't like tacky grips since, especially on pitch shots around the green, I like to be able to make small adjustments to how open the face is as I'm setting up.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

When I got my lob wedge regripped this spring, I went from Tour Velvet to a Lamkin grip and I like it for the most part. If I get some sweat/sunscreen on my hand it feels slick but as long as I have a glove on my left hand it's fine. My irons probably need to be regripped after this season and I think I'll do Golf Pride multicompound on them, that's what's on my driver and I like it quite a bit.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah I have the MCC +4 or whatever it is on all my irons and I love them. They look great too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Working the FESJC tomorrow and Friday 🙌🙌🙌

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Yeah I have the MCC +4 or whatever it is on all my irons and I love them. They look great too.

I just put those on my clubs replacing the regular MCC and I'm liking them a lot more so far. The fatter lower part of the grip is definitely helping me keep from strangling the club.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I have regular MCC on my irons, and I put the CP2 grips on my driver and a few wedges. I like the CP2s, and I don't care for the MCC+4 personally.

Then again, I am absolutely STRIPING a senior or ladies flex Jetspeed 3 wood, and it's got an undersized Winn Dri Tac grip on it, so YMMV.

If anybody finds some of those Nike shoes in 11.5 at your local Ross, I'll gladly pay for them + shipping. My reddit source waited too long, and I missed out. :argh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Forget Ross, Ross is bullshit.

Burlington Coat Factory, however...

gently caress yo $30 price Ross, BCF's got you beat at $20. :getin:

Kameh, no 11.5, just 11's and 12's. My ideal fit in Nike golf shoes is probably 11.5W (I'm 11.5M in Foot Joy) so I went with the 12's since the 11's were a little too narrow.

Haven't decided if I'm gonna keep both. If the grey/pink were white/pink, they'd be a no brainer. But the white/blue are a bit boring.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 9, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude. I wear a Nike 12. Is there a pink / grey you could grab for me?

Edit - my Burlington had nothing. I checked it the other day. I would take BOTH pairs in 12. Would you do $60 shipped?

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 9, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Dude. I wear a Nike 12. Is there a pink / grey you could grab for me?

Edit - my Burlington had nothing. I checked it the other day. I would take BOTH pairs in those pictures.
Only saw one pair in pink/grey. I can send you the white/blue for now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Only saw one pair in pink/grey. I can send you the white/blue for now.

Okay PM me what you wanna do.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Summit posted:

There's nothing wrong with a firm grip but if you're causing pain I would loosen up a bit. Personally I find when my grip is tight the increased hand tension works into my wrists and forearms and I struggle letting the club head release naturally. I hit my best shots with the most minimal grip pressure possible. That's just me of course but my point is it's not necessary to strangle the club to swing it.
Ya I really think I am probably gripping too hard. Maintaining a gentle grip is probably what I will focus on next round I play.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think I made the lowest point today. I tried to hit a ball that was half embedded in mud in a ditch.

With my lofting wedge, I hit it and it somehow strikes me in my left shin, causing a bruise and lots of pain.

I got covered in mud.

64 in 9 holes. Goddamnit.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
In a situation like that an unplayable it always an option unless your in a hazard. Under R&A rules anyway.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Casual water, free drop!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
YIPPIE! Have an opportunity to play The Palisades Country Club here in Charlotte this afternoon for free. A girl that works for me is married to one of the golf pro's out there (dude that was giving me free pro v1's for awhile) and today was the first day he ever said I could come play any time he was working as long as I checked with him first of course. Sure enough they have a member scramble @ 5:00 tonight so there is no official tee-times between 3:30 and 5:00PM so apparently I can go anytime after 3:30 and get out there. They are only shotgunning the scramble on the front 9 so I am either having to go off the back or finish the front 9 before they start I guess which shouldn't be tough.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Checked the Ross near me and they had jack and poo poo. Not a single pair of shoes, no Nike clothes, nothing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Checked the Ross near me and they had jack and poo poo. Not a single pair of shoes, no Nike clothes, nothing.
Ross is a red herring. Burlington Coat Factory is where it's at.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I am being set up for disappointment. But I will shower you with love and admiration when I am wrong.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright, I'l try and hit up the one near me either tonight or tomorrow and check it out.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Longest par 4 on one of my home courses is 430 yards from the white tees. Earlier this week it was into the wind and I hit Driver to 185, 5 iron to six feet past the pin, made the birdie. Today it was down wind and I had 138 to the pin, pulled the pitching wedge long and left, made bogey. This game is so weird some times.

Member-Member on Sunday should be fun even though I don't think it's handicapped so my boss and I have no shot at winning or anything.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Unknownmass posted:

I feel like I am being set up for disappointment. But I will shower you with love and admiration when I am wrong.

mattfl posted:

Alright, I'l try and hit up the one near me either tonight or tomorrow and check it out.

Ross is for decent golf clothes at cheap prices. Usually there is one nice nike shirt there for $25, plenty of shorts and pants.

Shoes, though? Gotta go to Burlington.

Nike Lunar Control 3 for $19.99.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Ross is for decent golf clothes at cheap prices. Usually there is one nice nike shirt there for $25, plenty of shorts and pants.

Shoes, though? Gotta go to Burlington.

Nike Lunar Control 3 for $19.99.

LOL, did you get multiple pairs of the pink?

:siren: I'll suck a dick for the white/yellow in 12M :siren:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 10, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL, did you get multiple pairs of the pink?

:siren: I'll suck a dick for the white/yellow in 12M :siren:

I got both sizes (11 and 12) because I wasn't sure which would fit better, and it would be a pain to get back there. Turns out, the 12 fits just fine, and the 11 will go to a friend.

I did not see any other style except the white/blue in sz 14.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

I got both sizes (11 and 12) because I wasn't sure which would fit better, and it would be a pain to get back there. Turns out, the 12 fits just fine, and the 11 will go to a friend.

I did not see any other style except the white/blue in sz 14.
Whew, didn't want to feel bad if you had the white/blue available locally.

Was it the same location you said didn't have anything a few days ago? Makes me wonder how often to visit.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
No, this one is about 30 minutes away. I'll go check out a few tomorrow. Not that I NEED new shoes, but I won't pass up a deal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

No, this one is about 30 minutes away. I'll go check out a few tomorrow. Not that I NEED new shoes, but I won't pass up a deal.
Yeah, I have a crazy strong compulsion to stockpile this deal.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
fyi - Khol's is having a fathers day sale and all of their Izod golf apparel is like 50% off or something. Izod shirts/shorts aren't terrible I have a few of the shorts, about the same as Nike shorts material wise, but with a stiffer waist. Not sure what the normal cost is, the two pair I have were like 40 dollars at a Belk, but if they are similar prices and 50% off that's a pretty solid steal for dri-fit golf shorts.

Edit: Shorts and Shirts are $24.99/ea (50% off) Edit2: Looks like most of their golf stuff is cheap. I've never seen them but apparently Fila makes golf stuff? Their shorts look basic and are 21.99 so might be a good deal too. http://www.kohls.com/search/mens.jsp?CN=4294723349&search=Golf&S=1&PPP=60&src=e1

I have 2 ross's and 2 burlingtons near me, like 2 are in the same shopping center 5 miles east of my house and 2 are in another shopping center 5 miles west... not a single one has anything golf related. BCF had one Nike golf polo on a normal clothing rack, but it was a XXL and Unfortunately I need a Medium in Nike shirts.

Palisades was a pretty nice course like it was in immaculate condition and made some of the normal courses I play look like goat tracks. Lots of target golf and weird sight lines that mess with you from the tee. Only got to play 9 though, the member shootout that went out at 5:30 ended up being something stupid like 18 4 man groups. Originally they were going to shotgun 12 groups off the back 9 and then the members bitched because more people showed up so they ended up shotgunning all 18. Did finish the back 9 though, was teeing off 18 when the train of carts left the club house. I quite literally smashed my drive on 18 with a pretty stellar draw, carried about 280 to a down slop and rolled out to almost 315 and I had a 70 yard chip up and on to the green. When we left the tee box the members going off 18 were sitting there waiting already and asked if I could hit a drive for them since it was best ball, then another member on the cart path had watched it from the top of the fairway and when he drove by he said he's pretty sure he's never seen anyone out there hit that long of a drive from the tips on 18 because the spot I landed isn't really visible from the tee so everyone aim higher up the right side or short. Either way, good times. Carded a +4 for the 9 which was pretty good since I've never played there before. Putter was on fire and I almost sank a 80ft putt up hill with a wicked left to right break on a par3 I came up short left on. Was a 2 putt par though :(

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 10, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Thanks for that Kohl's heads-up, their website usually has some polos in my size that aren't terrible. I'm wearing an Izod one now actually. Large Tall is a pain in the rear end to find deals for, seems like all of the golf discount sites tend to only have normal sizes.

Nice drive too! It always feels good doing that in front of people, I just wish I could actually convert nice drives to birdies more often.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Suprfli6 posted:

Thanks for that Kohl's heads-up, their website usually has some polos in my size that aren't terrible. I'm wearing an Izod one now actually. Large Tall is a pain in the rear end to find deals for, seems like all of the golf discount sites tend to only have normal sizes.

Discount sites or places that put thing like that on clearance are usually down to the last bit of stock which is usually the sizes, colors no one ever buys. So it's always a size small in some garrish green/yellow combo or XXXL poo poo. Kinda sucks. Same with golf clubs, rockbottom had the r15 driver on sale for 159 the other day, but only had Senior Flex 12 and 14 degree in stock.