Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

NienNunb posted:

MRT is my friend and I don't like you guys bullying him just because you don't like the best wrestler on the WWE roster

But I love and respect John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have literally never seen smarks poo poo on Rey or Rock (Rock was actually who I was referring to when I said "the most revered wrestler of the past 30 years"), and as I mentioned Cena caught a ton of poo poo for the same reason Roman is (WWE didn't play to his strengths, and instead accentuated the stuff he's weak in)

e: honestly I only specified "30 years" because my wrestling knowledge kinda dips when it comes to pre-80s stuff and I'm pretty sure Harley Race/Nick Bockwinkel/etc are more revered than Rock, but it's definitely close.

There was a ton of "Rock is bad" posting in the late 90s and early 2000s among people who were really really mad about a Chosen One push. They'd make fun of wearing a shirt they'd say he knew 5 moves, they'd call him Flex, they'd say his matches suck, they'd say the People's Elbow was killing the business, etc. Then 2000 rolled around and most of them shut up but we'd see "HHH is carrying him!" "OF COURSE HE HAS GOOD MATCHES LOOK AT HIS OPPONENTS!" and whatever.

As for Rey it's more contained on here but a bunch of goons hated him circa 2010-2014 and posted about how bad he was.

Sanguinia posted:

As I said, I like MRT and I like the perspective he brings to this forum. I really dislike the groupthink and Reddit-tier poo poo that many folks around here spew. I also don't in any way question the sincerity of his opinions and likes. But I don't think its outrageous to call it like I see it and say he phrases things specifically to get under people's skin. He didn't SAY that Roman is a better wrestler than Okada and Tanahashi, but you could certainly infer it from what he wrote and I can't imagine he didn't intend that to at least a certain degree.

Yeah, its SA and everyone always needs thicker skin and to get over themselves, but I'm not going to pretend somebody I disagree with isn't also being kind of obnoxious when they're doing it on purpose.

If I wanted to imply something like that I'd just post "quite frankly the average Roman Reigns PPV match is better than the average Minoru Suzuki match."

But I have the strength to know that is slightly misleading and will instead bravely post that I would rather watch Roman's PPV matches than MinSu.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the real racism is people saying Titus O'neil is a bad wrestler, when in fact he is better than most of the hosses on the roster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Usos are also victims of racism.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

people are still angry that a couple of proud somoans beat a couple of giant rednecks a few years ago

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

As for Rey it's more contained on here but a bunch of goons hated him circa 2010-2014 and posted about how bad he was.

If I wanted to imply something like that I'd just post "quite frankly the average Roman Reigns PPV match is better than the average Minoru Suzuki match."

But I have the strength to know that is slightly misleading and will instead bravely post that I would rather watch Roman's PPV matches than MinSu.

Rey's was one of my WCW origin-of-wrestling-fandom favorites alongside Ultimo Dragon, Big Show, Sting and DDP since I was about 10, so I can confirm that in the mid aughts and early 10s there were a LOT of people making GBS threads on him. The boo's he got for using the 619 at One Night Stand 05 are certainly legendary enough. The OSW guys little song about Ron Mastery-O and his blown knee is highly indicative of the hardcore IWC's view of him and how WWE "ruined him." at the dawn of the 21st Century.

It's pretty obvious that people have only retroactively re-warmed to him because he became a victim of WWE Contract Bullshit and thus became another outsider to rally behind. That plus some sympathy for that brutal booing he got at RR 14 for not being Bryan that he didn't deserve, and how much it must have sucked having a part in the death of Perro Aguyo Jr. And maybe because of how cool his Lucha Undergound stuff has been this year. Point is, Rey had PLENTY of very vocal smark detractors the last ten years.

(To the second point, fair enough. Honestly, after Kaze Ni Nare is done I would take a Roman match first too :) )

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Do you really feel like giving reasons to support "I like/don't like X" is ultimately just obfuscation and/or a waste or effort and the baldfaced emotional statement free of context is more meaningful?
Neither. Choosing either of these positions would be stupid, and don't reflect anything I've said.

Sanguinia posted:

And I'm not talking about bullshit opinions based on nothing like "Roman is an entitled poo poo," or "Roman doesn't work hard," I'm talking like concrete examples, specific performances or traits displayed actively on-camera that people can say "This is why I don't like him." I don't necessarily disagree with you, so I'm legit curious.
Like what

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Alain Post posted:

Lmao Roman has been absolutely putting in the effort in main events for like a year now despite everyone in the building booing him, something which virtually any babyface in the 80s would face by scowling, putting on a lovely match, and storming off, and yet he needs a "work ethic". More racism imo.

i said he 'needs to job' not 'needs a job' dont call me racist

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've tallied the votes and the consensus is Roman is bad!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Neither. Choosing either of these positions would be stupid, and don't reflect anything I've said.

Ok, I was just trying to parse the reasons behind your statement. Whatever, if you don't want to respond then forget it.

Any of his 50 go-away-heat promo performances would probably qualify.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Ok, I was just trying to parse the reasons behind your statement. Whatever, if you don't want to respond then forget it.

It is better to give an honest opinion than to not, basically.

Sanguinia posted:

Any of his 50 go-away-heat promo performances would probably qualify.
He doesn't light my world on fire with his way with words but he's not bad neither, material permitting. People seem to be more forgiving of Kevin Owens. Owens to his credit has a ready wit that gets love throughout here but he dies a traitors death to the crowd on the mic giving heel promo number five with his toneless and unpleasant accent. If he were the face of the company, for example, not saying anyone is pushing for that, I am positive that his weekly Cena-esque assertions as to why he's morally entitled or obligated to win would not sell too many t-shirts or maintain the love of the internet people to say the least.

On the other hand, Roman, saying only what he needs to say, plus something they can put on a t-shirt, will time and again win the crowd over to his side with his presence and in ring intensity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMO the received wisdom that Roman would be much better as a straight heel isn't wrong, but his current tweener face role isn't bad at all and the Styles feud was great.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alain Post posted:

The Usos are also victims of racism.

the usos are victims have not having a gimmick outside of yelling their names when they come out

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the usos are victims have not having a gimmick outside of yelling their names when they come out

What gimmick does AJ Styles have

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

What gimmick does AJ Styles have

not yelling his drat name all the time

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not yelling his drat name all the time

So the Usos are better you're saying?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

He doesn't light my world on fire with his way with words but he's not bad neither, material permitting. People seem to be more forgiving of Kevin Owens. Owens to his credit has a ready wit that gets love throughout here but he dies a traitors death to the crowd on the mic giving heel promo number five with his toneless and unpleasant accent. If he were the face of the company, for example, not saying anyone is pushing for that, I am positive that his weekly Cena-esque assertions as to why he's morally entitled or obligated to win would not sell too many t-shirts or maintain the love of the internet people to say the least.

On the other hand, Roman, saying only what he needs to say, plus something they can put on a t-shirt, will time and again win the crowd over to his side with his presence and in ring intensity.
[/quote]

That's a fair opinion. I won't say Roman's NEVER had a good promo, even a few of his longer ones have been far from terrible. But to talk about Owen's specifically, I think the style of your promo has to have intimate ties to your character in order to be good. Owen's low-key sorta-monotone promos play into his character expertly because they contrast with his actions, he acts like he's Mr. Calm and Collected Above-it-all, but he gives hints about his inner narcissism and his bully nature that then fully flower when he does something like take time to stomp Alex Riley while fleeing from Finn Balor at full speed.

Roman's character being all over the place doesn't exactly help him in this regard, but just generally speaking I just find it hard to believe in his talking. A lot of people cite to the all-time great promos like Jake or Rock or Flair or whoever because they had energy or intensity or knew how to sell the match or get over themself and their opponent at the same time, but I've always defined a great promo as someone who can make me believe in who they are.

I remember Roman once did an interview promo where he related a story about his father teaching him how to swim. A lot of people derided it as being kind of plodding and dumb, but I was way into it. My other favorite promo from Roman? Three words he shouted at Daniel Bryan was he was being dragged away by 50 guys with blood pouring down his face: WAIT TILL SUNDAY. In both cases the reason I liked it was the same: it felt like the words were real, and they matched the actions that went with the character. They brought the persona to life for me.

Despite all his physical charisma and his other talents, moments like that where I can relieve believe in Roman are exceptionally rare, and I don't like it.

But here I've spent 3 more paragraphs explaining myself. So take what you will out of it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Alain Post posted:

IMO the received wisdom that Roman would be much better as a straight heel isn't wrong, but his current tweener face role isn't bad at all and the Styles feud was great.

They probably shouldn't have to bring down the crowd mics to minimize the overwhelming booing for their babyface champion if he were actually good at that role

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman was number one in the rumble this very year and was one of the last few men eliminated so I don't know how fools can question his cardio

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

oldpainless posted:

Roman was number one in the rumble this very year and was one of the last few men eliminated so I don't know how fools can question his cardio

Probably the 15 minute nap he took halfway through.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Look pal I don't need your poo poo ok

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

"He injured everyone!" was their rally cry.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Lol gettin pissy and defensive.
Reigns is boring. His corner spots suck and his character is awful.
He's boring and he can't do much to make me care about his matches.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'd be fine with limited ringwork if he had some character. I loved psycho Sid growing up.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Character now.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Roman is weighed down by his dumpy idiot cousins and their rope-clipping jumps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Roman is weighed down by his dumpy idiot cousins and their rope-clipping jumps.

Look you stay over in the Western Roman Empire and I'll hang in the East.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'll say it again Roman sucks because he can't get over.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Look you stay over in the Western Roman Empire and I'll hang in the East.

Why did Constantinople get the works?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Roman Reigns has the record for most rumble eliminations and is only of only two and only two men to go the distance as entrant one to win the rumble, alongside WWE Hall of Framer Shawn Michaels. How are you going to tell me this guys not a total badass?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Why did Constantinople get the works?

that's nobody's business but the turk's

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
As someone who only checks back in on wrestling periodically from time to time and isn't into the whole Roman controversy, he seems like a Goldberg with way less natural charisma and slightly more ring talent. It also seems like he suffers from having been a part of a 3 man group where the other 2 members did everything better than him except be big and have a look. There are probably at least 10 other wrestlers or stables currently in WWE I would rather watch have a match than him and that doesn't bode well for someone that should be headlining IMO.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

That DICK! posted:

Roman Reigns has the record for most rumble eliminations and is only of only two and only two men to go the distance as entrant one to win the rumble, alongside WWE Hall of Framer Shawn Michaels. How are you going to tell me this guys not a total badass?

He didn't win that Rumble, Triple H did. He won when he entered #19.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The_Rob posted:

I'll say it again Roman sucks because he can't get over.

Whoa is it opposite day and nobody told me!?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's actually facts day.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If it was opposite day wouldn't not telling you actually be telling you?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sanguinia posted:

If it was opposite day wouldn't not telling you actually be telling you?

gently caress

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Roman is cooler than Nakamura, who just shakes around and cuts stupid "lel so random" promos.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Roman Reigns is a very good wrestler who carries himself well and gives off the aura of a main eventer whenever he doesn't have a microphone infront of his face.

The reason people have a problem with Roman is that after years of being told "You don't want Punk/Daniel Bryan/Styles/ Whoever to get the big push, you want Sheamus!" Roman Reigns is getting chance after chance to be that huge draw and he keeps floundering. If any other wrestler had cut the loony tunes promos and bombed as hard with McMahon's hand crafted material then they would have been tossed aside instantly and with a near decade of that people getting stop start pushes because of this having anyone who wasn't already beloved get this push will rub people up the wrong way. The problem to me isn't Roman himself, it's that anyone would get that consistent hard push after years of the WWE essentially telling fans to shut up and sit down whenever they got excited about someone that WWE didn't want to get excited about. Fans are saying "This is it? This is what you told me to give up on Punk/Bryan/Styles/Whoever for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I've been wondering about the question "Is Roman Reigns good??" intently for a good while now and I think I know why this question has raised such heated debate: It is not, in fact, the right question at all!

The right question we should be talking about would actually be "Is Roman Reigns food??". I personally think he might be a kind of food, and while I might try a Roman Reign should such a chance occur, I don't know if I would go out of my way to find a place that serves Roman Reigns.

Discuss.

• Locked thread