Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

The second arc is where the time travel and the future comes in. In short: things are hosed in the future, so Usagi's daughter comes back in time trying to find the hero who can use the Silver Crystal (not knowing who it is, or that it's her mother, or...). This happens because she actually took the drat thing and left her mother powerless, so an attack destroys the whole goddamn world save the palace (where the other Sailors are putting up a shield at the cost of their lives to protect the royals).

It cannot be stressed enough that this series gets extremely metal at times, and I'll fill in some more details when those villains show up again in the game.
I think that was a song on Somewhere In Time, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

The second arc is where the time travel and the future comes in. In short: things are hosed in the future, so Usagi's daughter comes back in time trying to find the hero who can use the Silver Crystal (not knowing who it is, or that it's her mother, or...). This happens because she actually took the drat thing and left her mother powerless, so an attack destroys the whole goddamn world save the palace (where the other Sailors are putting up a shield at the cost of their lives to protect the royals).

It cannot be stressed enough that this series gets extremely metal at times, and I'll fill in some more details when those villains show up again in the game.

For some reason, this makes me wonder what the result of someone asking "maybe instead of having an immortal god-queen, we could, like, have elections and vote and stuff? Freedom's good isn't it? I mean it's not like they were that good at preventing the world getting hosed anyway." would be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Moon Spiral Heart Attack is my favorite technique, with that heart that just slams through the enemy, leaving a comical person-shaped hole in the middle of it as fragments fly everywhere. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMQMyUbXbw

Sailor Business is a pretty good recap podcast for the series, if you like a podcast that takes literally three times as long as each episode and is full of nonsense. Two dudes do it, but they're smart enough to be like maybe we should always have some ladies on here, so every episode after the second they always have a guest on the show with them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
You know, call me crazy, but speaking of poo poo this game "borrowed" from Chrono Trigger (such as dual/triple techs), the general proportions and effort put into shading the character sprites in this game looks pretty reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, which would immediately explain why Luna and Artemis look so cheap (the cats in Chrono Trigger were also oddly simplistic in their coloration compared to their surroundings, though they had the advantage of not being completely monochromatic).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Stephen9001 posted:

For some reason, this makes me wonder what the result of someone asking "maybe instead of having an immortal god-queen, we could, like, have elections and vote and stuff? Freedom's good isn't it? I mean it's not like they were that good at preventing the world getting hosed anyway." would be.

No one's certain what happened to cause Crystal Tokyo; it's never gone into.

That particular issue-what happened, why God-Queen, why that future must be, etc etc-has been the repeated subject of Fanfic the world over.

Aces High posted:

I dunno, the story beats are still the same...except that part where all of Queen Beryl's champions also were princes in their previous life and were hooked up with each of the other sailor scouts :gonk: that was something I am sure glad was never in the original

If I recall(And I may not be), that particular beat was there originally.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sailor Moon Crystal is incredibly amazing.

Bloodly posted:

If I recall(And I may not be), that particular beat was there originally.

Takeuchi was basically just winging it from chapter to chapter. By the time she came up with making the four generals the past life boyfriends of the sailor guardians she already killed off three of them so the whole thing got a quick mention and was just as quickly forgotten, only coming up once or twice in some side chapters and at the end of the Sailor V manga.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

Sailor Moon Crystal is incredibly amazing.

Takeuchi was basically just winging it from chapter to chapter. By the time she came up with making the four generals the past life boyfriends of the sailor guardians she already killed off three of them so the whole thing got a quick mention and was just as quickly forgotten, only coming up once or twice in some side chapters and at the end of the Sailor V manga.

Thats fine Ami has Mako and Rei has Mina they don't need no boyfriends.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wait wait wait. Serena's mini-me is the reason the world is hosed forever? Ahahahahaha

I never knew that Serenity, God-Empress of Mankind ruling eternally over a dead world was the endgame of the series. That's :black101: as gently caress.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh yeah, people hail Gen "I Will Murder Everything you Love" Urobuchi (a.k.a. 'the Urobutcher') for the borderline glee he takes in massacring the casts of his works, but Sailor Moon puts him to shame. Hell, the body count reaches Dragon Ball Z levels without even trying.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Wait wait wait. Serena's mini-me is the reason the world is hosed forever? Ahahahahaha

I never knew that Serenity, God-Empress of Mankind ruling eternally over a dead world was the endgame of the series. That's :black101: as gently caress.

The future got better at the end of the second arc.

But then (manga and possibly future Crystal spoilers if anyone cares) an even more future Sailor Moon shows up in the present to tell current Sailor Moon that most of the galaxy has been wiped out by a cosmic evil and that she has to destroy the birthplace of universe to pre-emptively stop it, which in turn would simply doom the universe to a slower-burn extinction as no more stars would be born.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So as of this game were gotten past three of the villain groups of the series. And for some reason Death Phantom was mentioned at the start despite never showing up in this game that is odd.

Edit: erased the bad dudes so OP can do it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 8, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You guys, I'm going to get to some of this. I'm just saving it for when every goddamn one of these villains show up as bosses.

I'm not gonna be a spoiler nazi or anything just... y'know. Hold your horses a bit with megaposts.

flocons de mais
Oct 4, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

If anything, DiC made it worse by claiming they were cousins, because it added a disturbing new dimension to the remaining romantic overtones. DiC was just not very good at what they did, in any respect.

:goonsay:

At the risk of turbonerding, DiC only did the classic and the R season. Cloverway/Optimum did the S and SuperS seasons. But you are not wrong that the cousins cover up was effectively worse.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Anyone else here willing to admit they saw the stage performance? I did - or rather, a recording thereof.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

Anyone else here willing to admit they saw the stage performance? I did - or rather, a recording thereof.

what, like the one where they meet Dracula?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I don't remember the details - it was something like 10 years ago.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wanna see the one with Samantha Bee as Sailor Moon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

END ME SCOOB posted:

You guys, I'm going to get to some of this. I'm just saving it for when every goddamn one of these villains show up as bosses.

I'm not gonna be a spoiler nazi or anything just... y'know. Hold your horses a bit with megaposts.

I've got one on this game's hosed-up continuity locked and ready to go

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

what, like the one where they meet Dracula?

Which one? Dracula has a least three Sailor Moon shows dealing with him.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Clock Shop contains a fuckload of clocks, and tutorializing NPCs who actually reminded me of a thing I forgot.

No, not the battle commands. We'll look at those in an actual battle.

I mean this fellow, who goes "Link Attacks can be set up by hitting Start outside of battle". Which is kind of a nonsense configuration, but sure, I guess it makes a button do something. I was pretty sure you had to brute force them in fights, from memory.

So here we go. I can stick up to 3 ladies on the right side of the screen and try to brute-force all the Link Attacks out by hitting X. I'm not going to do that until I have actual parties, because right now they still don't do poo poo for me.

Also, everyone is level 1 except Sailor Pluto. Gee, I wonder who's going to be showing up later in the game than everyone else? (For the record: The "LAP" stat that's at 0 on everyone is "Link Attack Power", and you raise it by grinding out links with that character.)

After this revelation, I began slamming buttons around to see if anything other than the face keys did anything obvious. I knew holding B let me run, apparently holding L+R let me go at ludicrous speed (seriously, it's uncontrollable), and hitting Select...

...reveals an options screen. I'm actually going to just take the time to ask: should I change the border color, or just begin cutting it off of the screenshots altogether? Feel free to tell me if I should stick with green, too, it honestly doesn't register to me while I'm playing. Please recall you'll be seeing a bit of that anyway just so I don't crop the portraits when major characters talk.

The text colors are all worthless and I'm sticking with what's on display already. The most distinct change is just inverting the two colors.

The Clock Shop also contains the only accessory we can currently buy, a Watch. Since I don't need the cash for anything else right now, we buy three.

Confession: I have not used SNES9X before (I usually use Higan, but it lacks the easy screenshotting), so my first attempt to dick around with money values caused some unsightly fuckups. My wallet must obey the laws of time and space until I get that poo poo right.

Usagi don't gotta obey poo poo, though, because she's just hung a buncha watches off her hair and nearly doubled her speed in the process. She's going to get the first strike on goddamn everything for a while.

Meanwhile, there is only a single NPC offering tips in the Game Center: "This game is reallllly long. So save whenever you see a save point!" You guys could have merged this all into one training building, but I appreciate the extra fanservice.

Fun fact! In the manga, the cats actually have a goddamn supercomputer under this arcade, and they used one of the arcade machines as a training device. We will not see that here.

Finally, the time has come to go visit OSA-P.

In nearly every incarnation of the show, OSA-P is the site of Usagi's first battle as Sailor Moon. It's run by her best friend Naru's mother, and the first villain she fights is a Youma who's imitating said mother to sell evil jewelry that drives people to envy and rage. In the anime, Naru is probably the most put-upon individual in all of Juuban, falling victim to the schemes of, or being attacked by, the villain of the week with frightening regularity. In the anime, she actually falls in love with one of the villains, and he dies in her arms. (Reminder: She is a 14? year old girl.) Within a year or so, Usagi makes a whole bunch of new friends and Naru basically falls out of the story entirely, although in a few versions of the story Naru isn't dumb and basically realizes "Heeeeey, she's Sailor Moon." as a final parting... gift?

I told you all of that because guess who's being menaced by the game's first boss fight.

This girl cannot catch a motherfucking break, I swear to god.

Ah! It's Naru! Naru's being attacked by that Daimon!

Stupid terminology thing: different sets of villains had different monster-of-the-week mooks. Daimons belonged to the Death Busters. We'll meet them later so I'll hold off on that story. Pretty much every generic enemy in this game (and while this is currently a boss, it's gonna be reused as a random battle later, so...) is taken from the anime.

Here she was on TV. Compare to her battle sprite in a sec.

Usagi! Transform already!
Moon Cosmic Power Makeup!
(her sprite swaps... seriously, nobody makes a loving effort to make the transformations impressive in this game)

Who's there?

Okay, so. In another "I'm only calling this out once" move:

Technically, the full title of the series is "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon", aka "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon". I presume this is what is said here in Japanese. I have no idea where this full title came from.

Listen up, you Daimon who attacks helpless girls! In the name of the moon, I... (she turns to the camera and poses) will punish you!

Incidentally: they use the usual catchphrase here.

So meet our first boss, Persian-Cut! This is a training fight, so it's not amazing, but let's go over a) how battles work, and b) how to utterly break this.

Our action bar from left to right consists of:
  • Attack - do I have to explain this?
  • Special Attack - Your super moves. See below.
  • Link Attack - I can't do this right now, Tippy.
  • Formation Attack - See Link Attack.
  • Item - This is how we will break this fight.
  • Defend - Block to take less damage.
  • Flee - For times when you just don't want to deal with the game's random encounter rate.

Here's our special attacks. You see those two diamonds under Sailor Moon's portrait? That's my MP. These skills cost 1, 2, and 3 MP, meaning I can't even use one yet. The first is a more powerful attack, the second is a healing spell, and the third is a much more powerful attack (but it's moot right now). This game's max MP is 12, by the way.

But what we really want to do is something that I don't actually know if any NPC tells you in this game. None of the tutorial ones did. Use the MoonCup 1 on Sailor Moon.

Doing this transforms us into Super Sailor Moon and heals us for 999 HP. This is just a thing we can do any loving time in a battle. It grants us a more potent attack (at 6MP, so it's moot for now), buuuuuuut... it buffs our stats! So while the boss was hitting for 3 damage as regular Sailor Moon, the buff + us being covered in watches means that we're now gonna take 1 damage. Tops. She misses a lot now.

The battle goes real quick after that.

Something to note: this game operates on the "split EXP" system, so right now Sailor Moon is gonna get all the EXP, but if we had more people it'd reduce it down to everyone getting 1 EXP because it's split multiple ways. Also, our first Puzzle Piece. I'd show it to you but then we go from this into a mass of cutscenes and I can't get to the menu.

A Daimon's come back to life... so this is what you were talking about, Luna!

Naru* and her mother thank us, and before the fanservice train dries up...

Naru's mother actually has a character portrait.

But Sailor Moon is still Usagi, and this game is mostly based on the anime, so of course her response to saving the day is "Yeah I'm going back to bed".

Meanwhile, we cut to the first major male character in the game. Let's talk about Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask/Prince Endymion.

He's kind of a huge divergence between the anime and the manga, and if you ever find yourself asking "Why is there no Sailor Earth?", that would be this dude. In the far past where this whole cosmic shitshow began, Princess Serenity of the Moon and Prince Endymion of Earth were starting up a romance and two of their guardians went "Uh, maybe you two should do this the proper way and not go gently caress in some bushes". They might have done this if it wasn't for a crazy sorceress we'll meet later. Okay, that's about where the two characters split, when they reincarnate in "present day". What does stay the same: he's a rich? orphan because his parents die in some accident that leaves him with amnesia. He does not know for a while that he's running around at night as Tuxedo Mask, showing up in the news as a famous jewel thief because he's looking for the Silver Crystal.

In the anime, this dude shows up every loving week for the first arc, and pretty regularly in the second, to pop in through a window, toss a rose and gently caress up a villain, and then go "Finish the job, Sailor Moon!" By some accounts, Naoko Takeuchi was not thrilled with this aspect of the adaptation, because it kind of undermined her heroine in a series that had huge undertones of Potent Ladies Doing poo poo For Themselves. (There were also alleged stories she didn't get along with one of the series directors, so how much of all this is tied up in that is anyone's loving guess. Getting straight answers out of a Japanese creator about behind the scenes issues is like putting out a wildfire with your piss.) This is basically it. He threw roses, had a cane, died a few times, and was kind of a lovely parent and a lovely boyfriend in the future, which his meddling in time might have remedied. (Seriously. This dude told his past self "Stay away from the GIRL WITH THE INFINITE ENERGY POWER SOURCE, or she might get hurt.")

In the manga, though, he does the "last minute assist" thing a time or two, but he's basically the grounding force for the woman who becomes an emotionless god. In the second arc, he tells his younger self "Holy poo poo we hosed up raising our kid so bad because Serenity is worried with ruling the world and I'm sorta too afraid to tell the god-empress no. She is staying with you guys because you're actual humans still." This is why Chibi-Moon sticks around long after breaking time. His powers consist of doing things like flinging bombs out of his cape, swordfighting, and he actually has his own Earth-powered jewel that isn't god-tier strong, but still makes him a magical boy. He's cool. There's another divergence but go down the page like... 5 lines for that story.

Anyway! He's dreaming of the old-rear end time.

...Master.
That voice I heard just now was... (he walks towards it)

So hey, guys, one final infodump this post: let's talk about the Four Kings of Heaven.

Technically, the four other "main" Sailors' job is "protect the queen". Similarly, the Prince of Earth had 4 dudes watching his back too in the old times. People who only knew about Sailor Moon as the show with the hosed up dub might know them as "the villains where two of them were male lovers so they made one a woman". We're going to get to these guys later, but the relevant info for now is that they were brainwashed by the first arc's villain and as everyone was reborn, so was that crazy witch and her 4 slaves, so they got to be the enemy du jour.

Mostly I bring this up because another huge anime/manga change is that in the anime, they bite it and that's it, poof, done, but in the manga, they revert to stones (because their names are all based on stone: Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite, and Kunzite) and continue to advise Mamoru throughout the series whenever he's going "What the gently caress, storyline". It's kind of a chill relationship. This is one of the only manga details this game folds into itself and it's kinda our first hint that continuity is not going to fly here.

The second is that every goddamn dead thing is coming back to life, I guess.

Master... Destiny draws near. An evil comet is approaching, to return Destiny to its origins. A horrible comet with the power to return everything... Now... In the future... And in the past... It is giving birth to an existence in which all shall be returned to what has been.
What?!

Okay, so, that is a wad of nonsense not helped by the translation, so here, let me put this in JRPG terms: Neo Exdeath is coming. Allow me to turn on clarity for the rest of this conversation:

When will this happen?
Not yet, but soon.
Do I have anything to do with this?
You're going to be a part of choosing which future occurs.
(Kunzite's shade disappears, and the dream fades out...)

a) It irritates me that we don't even put on a loving screen flash for tranformation sequences, but this dream gets a fade in and fade out from every aspect
b) Mamoru has been asleep so long that sunlight is now hitting the basket his keys are in

Or that. Uh. I think that means "the gems which were formerly the Shitennou (aka the Four Kings I just mentioned)", but the translation I get putting that in gives me "the Box of the Four Heavenly Kings".

Dude. Bros don't keep bros in a box. That's not cool, Mamoru.

Next time: seriously you guys if you think I got salty in this update wait until you see how this game introduces our other heroines

* I actually wrote "Molly" here a draft ago. God damnit. Stupid researching all the timelines of this show.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There it is. This game allegedly takes place between S and SuperS but in reality the continuity is total nonsense. Like almost all of the game is based on the anime. The character designs, character personalities, monsters, and events mentioned later on all match up 100% with the cartoon version of the storyline. Then, suddenly, you've got this poo poo with the four kings that only came up in the manga, and the box which as far as I can recall is just full on made up but the game acts like has been there all along. How? Why? Only Angel knows for sure and they're almost definitely dead as hell by now.

also yeah ABS always be super

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Will you be posting the game's music at all? I remember the hell out of the boss music, and I think it'd be nice to show people the battle transition in action, complete with voice clip.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I'm just kind of trying to rush through these early updates so we get a lot of the basics like "who the gently caress are these people" out of the way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Suddenly I realize what hilarious memes the anime made with its dumb subtitles.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

In the anime, this dude shows up every loving week for the first arc, and pretty regularly in the second, to pop in through a window, toss a rose and gently caress up a villain, and then go "Finish the job, Sailor Moon!" By some accounts, Naoko Takeuchi was not thrilled with this aspect of the adaptation, because it kind of undermined her heroine in a series that had huge undertones of Potent Ladies Doing poo poo For Themselves.
That really annoyed me about the 12 episodes I saw, so I'm glad he's not supposed to be that way.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

END ME SCOOB posted:

* I actually wrote "Molly" here a draft ago. God damnit. Stupid researching all the timelines of this show.

GEE SERENA I DUNNO

:allears:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I think I used Super Sailor Moon exactly once and then figured it was bad. Luckily the game has no shortage of ways to break it though.

FractalSandwich posted:

That really annoyed me about the 12 episodes I saw, so I'm glad he's not supposed to be that way.

Half of manga Mamoru's arc is trying to figure out how to support his super heroine and future god-empress girlfriend while drawing the short end of the power stick with minor healing and being one of the dozen or so people with premonitions.

One thing I preferred in the manga over the anime is that he felt more like part of the team, when he did show up. When he was around whenever a monster or villain showed up he just joined up right away instead of conveniently disappearing for a surprise rescue halfway through the fight, whereas I seem to remember the anime doing that as late as the fourth season even.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If I recalled correctly lot of the people working on the anime did not like Mamoru for reasons (the one who's better known for Utena was a hardcore UsagiRei shipper) or had no idea what to do with him, so he got stuck in a rut.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Didn't Darien Mamoru get, like, double-amnesia once in the second arc and his lost memories turned into Minwu from Final Fantasy 2? Sailor Moon's goddamn weird.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

Didn't Darien Mamoru get, like, double-amnesia once in the second arc and his lost memories turned into Minwu from Final Fantasy 2? Sailor Moon's goddamn weird.

Yes he was the Moonlight Knight and wore a hilariously tone-deaf arabian nights outfit complete with scimitar and music.

Not only did he lose his memories, his love for Usagi was so strong he literally projected a separate Moonlight Knight entity to help her. There are scenes where Mamoru and Moonlight Knight are onscreen at the same time and Mamoru's like da fuk?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 8, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
More of Usagi was like what was going on? Mamoru was more of who is this guy?

Anyways I like that Tuxedo showed up to help a lot in the anime, because it was clear that he was a support character. In fact, the monster we just fought was the one monster that was fought just by him and that didn't go so well, but he held it off a for a good while.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
My experience with Super Sailor Moon is that it does buff her stats, but she will still not hit as hard as the more offensively inclined characters and she looses her healing. Not that you need her healing spell, healing items soon becomes very cheap.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Stats in this game tend to be fairly weird, from what I recall. Everyone is extremely skewed towards one direction and falls well below average on literally every other front. Sometimes you'll have characters on the same level where one collapses when she's looked at funny but kicks the rear end of everything onscreen and another takes 1 damage from everything, and in return does 1 damage to your enemies.

Or maybe I'm just bad at accessory equipping.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 8, 2016

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The damage algorithm is that weird. Even if you have something like 87 attack or defense, just two more points make a very noticeable difference. Couple that with characters who have vastly different stats. Not even Final Fantasy games have that out of control damage algorithms.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Crystalgate posted:

The damage algorithm is that weird. Even if you have something like 87 attack or defense, just two more points make a very noticeable difference. Couple that with characters who have vastly different stats. Not even Final Fantasy games have that out of control damage algorithms.

Yeah, this game is very much from the (somewhat awful) school of stat values where single point variance is swingy as gently caress. Ever play Terranigma? It's probably one of the most infamous examples of this, because people get to Bloody Mary and aren't The Perfect Level for the fight, so she's taking single digit or less damage. Go grind up one, maybe 2 more, and suddenly the fight goes to "what it was designed for" and "a cakewalk".

This game does that too and there's a reason I'm being honest that I will be cheating at some point. I just don't know where.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hot drat, this looks like fun on a bun! Sign me up for the full ride.

But something on the first page is bothering me:

END ME SCOOB posted:

The One Who Died But Didn't.

Which one of the characters are you referring to here? Because from what I remember that pretty much describes all of them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Which one of the characters are you referring to here? Because from what I remember that pretty much describes all of them.

Pluto.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, this game is very much from the (somewhat awful) school of stat values where single point variance is swingy as gently caress. Ever play Terranigma? It's probably one of the most infamous examples of this, because people get to Bloody Mary and aren't The Perfect Level for the fight, so she's taking single digit or less damage. Go grind up one, maybe 2 more, and suddenly the fight goes to "what it was designed for" and "a cakewalk".

This game does that too and there's a reason I'm being honest that I will be cheating at some point. I just don't know where.

There are some not-very-well explained things that can get rid of a lot of grinding when you have a full party. The first time I played this, I ended up slogging through with tons of items and having purgatory like battles but there was an aborted LP of this awhile back that had a few tricks that helped.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Lizard Wizard posted:

The best thing to come out of Crystal, to my knowledge, is this.

I think that nearly killed me, from the starting guitar riffs to the hard-core action sequences accompanying the music and trying with considerable success to make the show look bad rear end.

Also, I completely blame this LP for causing me to end up humming the original Sailor Moon opening at work today. It's amazing the things that being a teenager in the 90s embedded in your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ddegenha posted:

I think that nearly killed me, from the starting guitar riffs to the hard-core action sequences accompanying the music and trying with considerable success to make the show look bad rear end.

Also, I completely blame this LP for causing me to end up humming the original Sailor Moon opening at work today. It's amazing the things that being a teenager in the 90s embedded in your brain.

I only recently learned that the American opening theme is the actual melody for one of the Japanese intros. Too bad DBZ got stuck with the generic buttrock (still better than most Toonami series, they didn't get their OPs played at all).

• Locked thread