Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I used to fiddle around with xpadder or whatever but then I just downloaded Controller Companion for $2.50 and it magically maps everything out for me. I don't know how it works exactly but I do recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think you'll find that guy is an English major and therefore uniquely qualified to deconstruct Rothfuss' writing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Seeing as I heard good things about it a month or so ago: Is Not A Hero worth $3.24?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jordan7hm posted:

I think you'll find that guy is an English major and therefore uniquely qualified to deconstruct Rothfuss' writing.
I'm an English graduate and am uniquely qualified to spot lovely criticism.

Andrast posted:

Rothfuss is still bad though.
Probably.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Morter posted:

Seeing as I heard good things about it a month or so ago: Is Not A Hero worth $3.24?

yes, absolutely.
especially if you dig run and gun type games.
i had a good deal of fun playing it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
patrick rothfuss sucks

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Morter posted:

I'm the guy who said good things about it, so yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't know what the hell BotL is besides "Finnish" and "pretentious," but he's not an English major.

e: even ignoring his criticisms though (which are mostly on-point but deliberately played up in pompousness to rile people because he can't stop being an rear end in a top hat) the excerpts from those books are some rotten stuff.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 8, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Morter posted:

Very much so. Side scrolling hotline miami. It gets REALLY hard towards the end of the game (a little over 20 levels). But toally worth 3 and change. I think i have 6 hours in it and havent quite beaten it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That new game which CDPR was talking about before in a genre that they haven't tried yet? Standalone Gwent: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-08-the-witcher-3s-gwent-set-to-be-a-standalone-game

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

That new game which CDPR was talking about before in a genre that they haven't tried yet? Standalone Gwent: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-08-the-witcher-3s-gwent-set-to-be-a-standalone-game

They're actually already selling that as a card game. Guess you gotta milk it for what it's worth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

anilEhilated posted:

They're actually already selling that as a card game. Guess you gotta milk it for what it's worth.
How are they selling it? You mean the decks that were part of the collector's edition?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think batman arkham asylum could do with some less backtracking

it would make the game shorter but I'm okay with that. I'm on killer croc now so this must be like 90% through or something. The last scarecrow sequence was fantastic.

If I feel this way about AA I don't think I should play AC :shobon:
unless AC is more than "AA except more open and with more filler"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

How are they selling it? You mean the decks that were part of the collector's edition?
Well, I haven't got it myself, but my brother-in-law has four boxes for four factions and each one has its set of neutrals. As far as I could tell every card is in there although some numbers leave a lot to be desired (only two 8-multiplier catapults? seriously?), probably for balance reasons.
I think they're just selling it as a boardgame.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does anyone know if the Humble Bundle version of Hand if Fate comes with the DLC and if not, does it improve the game significantly?

The fate of my $5 depends on this information.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mortimer posted:

I think batman arkham asylum could do with some less backtracking

it would make the game shorter but I'm okay with that. I'm on killer croc now so this must be like 90% through or something. The last scarecrow sequence was fantastic.

It's not, but the fighting and predatoring systems are better. Not revolutionary better, but noticable.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Mortimer posted:

That's pretty much what AC was in my experience.

AA was a tight, Metroid-like game which explains a lot of the backtracking. Each Arkham game was a step down from the previous one, with the formula getting stretched onto larger areas with more busywork and less atmosphere. There are some good boss fights and character moments in later games so they weren't totally worthless. They just felt rote, bigger in all the most obvious and uninteresting ways.

If City had half the map size but just as many interiors, and actual citizens walking around to save or occasionally chat with, I would have been way more into the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

frozenpeas posted:

Does anyone know if the Humble Bundle version of Hand if Fate comes with the DLC and if not, does it improve the game significantly?

The fate of my $5 depends on this information.
It does not, but the DLC only seems to be run/difficulty modifiers? So it's nothing you need from the start and you can pick it up later at a steam sale if you get big into it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think Arkham City's middle part of the map being not possible to glide through contributed a lot to unnecessary tedium. Constantly having to take an indirect U-shaped route just because of that design decision was the worst. I'm pretty sure this was consciously done to pad the game with travel times. The game would have been tighter without it as the map isn't even that big otherwise.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SynthOrange posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355800/

Space Run gets a sequel and... it's an online massively multiplayer persistent universe with trading, shipbuilding, exploration, etc? :eyepop:

Yeah I saw that. Space Run 1 was quite a fun sleeper hit. Seems like this 'persistent universe' thing is kind of dumb though.

Also noticed Hand of Fate 2 was announced which is cool, sounds like they're cleaning up performance/transitioning and deepening/adding more variety/improving the combat which is about the biggest flaw with the first. So I'm pretty excited to play that when it comes out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Today's game is one of my all-time favorites but be warned, it does the uPlay always-on DRM thing.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity

8. Anno 2070

The Anno series made a name for itself with supply-chain-based building and beautiful historical cityscapes. 2070 took things in a new direction, at least aesthetically, setting your constructions in the near-ish future. Global warming has settled the debate over itself by flooding the entire planet, and you are tasked with helping humanity resettle on the few habitable islands left. It's an unusually somber game that manages both a striking beauty and extremely satisfying building.

Unlike your SimCities or Tropicos where money is your limiting factor, Anno 2070 challenges you to provide goods to your citizens to both build with and subsist off of. Every building requires building materials like concrete, steel, and tools before it can pop into existence. Your citizens likewise need quotas of food, beverage, luxury, and entertainment to expand their numbers. There is money, paid as taxes by your citizens and used as upkeep for your industries, but it's generally an afterthought once your initial settlement is built. Your main concern will be building supply chains in the right proportions to keep your cities growing.

The result of this balance is that you're building two kinds of settlements in parallel, residences and industries. The catch is that you're doing this on limited island space, and your industries can have dire effects on their surroundings. Islands have an eco-balance rating that can boost happiness and production if positive, and tank your agriculture and cause disasters if negative. Each island also has its own particular resources, so you'll almost never get by building on one island. There's a robust convoy and trading system for you to automate deliveries with, as well as fleets of charming ships to build and explore with. Get far enough in and you get submarines and the ability to build underwater industries, too.

There's a 12-mission story mode that serves as an extended tutorial for the game, along with another dozen scenarios, an infinite mode, rotating event missions, and multiplayer modes. For each of these you can choose one of two factions to start as, the filthy capitalist Global Trust or the crunchy hippy Eden Initiative. Both have very different needs and industries to fulfil them, which lead to very different play styles and looks to your cities. Late game progression unlocks a third faction of scientists to grow in parallel, and very late game you can even unlock the opposing faction to build as. You get an enormous amount of freedom in how you build, trade, and expand, which helps keep each map interesting as you progress.

On top of the faction and building options, there are NPCs to trade with, missions to complete for bonuses, upgrades to research, and military options to explore. It's a huge game with a lot to like, but not without a few stumbles. The aforementioned military options are actually pretty awkward and unfun to use, leaving conquest as the last option you want to explore. Research produces random results so it can take far too long to get the upgrades you want. And beyond the mechanics, the story and voice acting elements are half-assed at best and add very little to the experience.

These are really minor quibbles about an otherwise spectacular game, though. The look and feel of Anno 2070 is second to none, with intensely-detailed buildings and landscapes that produce some of the most picturesque creations of any city builder. The challenges of aligning production chains is never too great but are still extremely gratifying to overcome. Spending a dozen hours on a single random map is not out of the question, resulting in a breathtaking sprawl of future cities, industrial hellscapes, and ecological paradises. Anno 2070 is easily one of the most engaging builders I've played, and its few faults are hardly enough to keep me from sinking dozens upon dozens of hours in it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

That's pretty much what AC was in my experience.

AA was a tight, Metroid-like game which explains a lot of the backtracking. Each Arkham game was a step down from the previous one, with the formula getting stretched onto larger areas with more busywork and less atmosphere. There are some good boss fights and character moments in later games so they weren't totally worthless. They just felt rote, bigger in all the most obvious and uninteresting ways.

If City had half the map size but just as many interiors, and actual citizens walking around to save or occasionally chat with, I would have been way more into the game.

that's unfortunate! I already own AC because steam but I will try to go in with an open mind.

the thing that gets me about AA knowing there are three games after this is how much they blew their batman villain load in one 10 hour game. The only big ones not in this one are the penguin, two face, and mr. freeze

boy howdy I can't wait to see Calendar Man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_Man
i unironically want to see calendar man
e: AC has loving calendar man jesus what

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 8, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The biggest problem re: military is that the AI is aggravated so easily and it cheats, since it can spring up sections of cities in a moment, and they don't need food or building resources. Besides, you can't attack inland without aircraft, and those aircraft also need fuel, and then they have a limited range because of that and so on.

Having aircraft fuel to manage isn't really so bad, IMO, but the other problems just make military completely aggravating and frustrating to deal with. Having to build infrastructure for fuel isn't bad, actually, but actually playing with it is so frustrating it isn't worth it at all.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I don't understand that. Gwent never felt like it really had much depth and I can't really see it standing on its own in an interesting way.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Looks like Injustice 2 was announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0WA6yIZ7I

I had fun with the first one, once I got the hang of the controls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Injustice 2 is not a PC game. It's both hilarious and bad in the long run that Warner dropped out of PC completely.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dementropy posted:

Hasn't Warner bros pretty much forsaken PC gaming?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GoG started its Summer Sale and it's taking a page from steam, with xp and badges.

Edit - I swear. I'm really quite good at spotting other people's mistakes and general editing, yet I will never once pass up an opportunity to mix up its and it's.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dementropy posted:

I can't stop laughing at the steady escalation of armors. It's like they all raided Iron Man's vault.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Xander77 posted:

GoG started it's Summer Sale and it's taking a page from steam, with xp and badges.
And free System Shock 2 if you download their client.

I think the xp system means if you spend a tiny amount and do all the daily check-ins, tweet about the sale once, and so on, it'll add up to a free copy of Spelunky. Obviously, spending more than a dollar or two will get you more.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

chrisoya posted:

And free System Shock 2 if you download their client.

I think the xp system means if you spend a tiny amount and do all the daily check-ins, tweet about the sale once, and so on, it'll add up to a free copy of Spelunky. Obviously, spending more than a dollar or two will get you more.
I would have never thought downloading freeware Spelunky that years later I would be able to pay to get it free.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xander77 posted:

GoG started its Summer Sale and it's taking a page from steam, with xp and badges.

Edit - I swear. I'm really quite good at spotting other people's mistakes and general editing, yet I will never once pass up an opportunity to mix up its and it's.

It's nice for the fact that it's probably got the same % sales as Steam is going to have in a few weeks, so I can plan out my sale budget in advance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baller Time posted:

I didn't need that part about 12 year old girls and "skin flutes", Glenn Cook.

I don't know which book of his this is but I don't want to read it.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I put about 4 or so hours into Wasted so far and it's starting to lose me.

A lot of people on Steam are complaining about the purifier mechanic, which is basically the kind of hurry-up system you see in a lot of other roguelikes: spend too much time on the level and a big minigun-toting boss enemy shows up to slowly hunt you. I never really had much problem with him but I'll agree he spawns really quickly, like four or five minutes into a level and some of them can get pretty big. The much bigger problem is that, as far as I've seen, there's no option to just skip previously cleared levels, meaning if you get to level 10 and leave, you have to run through aaaallllll 9 levels again ignoring all the worthless crap you can't waste inventory space on.

But that's really nothing compared to the fact that this game has some fuckin mega-samey level design. Each section of levels has its own theme and like, maybe, six or seven different kinds of rooms connected by five different corridors. You get sick of seeing the same bathrooms and med bays constantly because there's zero sense of discovery with any of it. Eventually you get so tired of going through these same rooms all the time combined with the groups of enemies that never really drop anything of interest. One of the most obnoxious ones are just the basic rottyman/ghoul enemies, which are slow and stupid but explode upon dying and leave a giant permanent pool of acid on the ground. Good luck getting past it unscathed if you have to kill them in a tight hallway.

To me the biggest problem is that there's never a sense of discovery with any of the loot you find because every dropped item is the exact same as any other of its type. There's no modifiers, no random attributes, no socketing or breaking things down for components, just the same exact handgun or uzi you overlooked three floors back. Borderlands 2 (which Wasted sort of draws inspiration from) had its issues but at least there was a fun, kinda exciting sense of opening the big fancy chests to see what was inside. Sure, most of the time you sold whatever was in it but if nothing else you had a lot of cool-looking things to pick up and pawn.

It wouldn't take much to fix it up but as it stands now I'm probably just going to go back to Renowned Explorers, which was a loving fantastic roguelike by comparison.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mortimer posted:

that's unfortunate! I already own AC because steam but I will try to go in with an open mind.

the thing that gets me about AA knowing there are three games after this is how much they blew their batman villain load in one 10 hour game. The only big ones not in this one are the penguin, two face, and mr. freeze

boy howdy I can't wait to see Calendar Man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_Man
i unironically want to see calendar man
e: AC has loving calendar man jesus what

There's an achievement for visiting him 12 times throughout the year on certain holidays and listening to his tales. They get rather... creepy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Personally I think Arkham City is better than Asylum just because the boss fights are actually good, Asylum's were so bad. You're best stopping at AC though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What are the best metroidvania's on steam? I've only got beat buddy that I know of.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

What are the best metroidvania's on steam? I've only got beat buddy that I know of.

Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the best as of late.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

Guacamelee Super Turbo Edition and Shantae and the Pirates Curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
La-mulana if you like puzzles

• Locked thread