Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

This shouldn't actually be very surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Be warned if you use Firefox 47 with the extension Mozilla Archive Format 4.0.0, you can't right click and save anything when the extension is enabled. This goes away when you disable it, but given that the extension requires a restart to toggle, it'll be pretty annoying. The developers are usually pretty good about fixing mistakes this glaring, so hopefully it should be remedied before too long.

edit: Although drag and drop still works so if it's something like a picture the bug doesn't seem to affect it.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 8, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fourwood posted:

I think the surprising part is that it's still 40%. I could easily believe the statistic if it was from 2009. Why are these people still using Firefox instead of Chrome?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I dunno, I kinda feel like a lot of people who don't install any extensions are maybe also not likely to be switching browsers basically ever.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use Firefox (still love it) and only have an adblocker that is turned off on pretty much all my frequent sites. So I guess I'm the weirdo? It's not that I dislike Chrome or anything else, it's just I haven't seen the need to not use Firefox for my use case.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

syntaxfunction posted:

I use Firefox (still love it) and only have an adblocker that is turned off on pretty much all my frequent sites. So I guess I'm the weirdo? It's not that I dislike Chrome or anything else, it's just I haven't seen the need to not use Firefox for my use case.

You must've not encountered the bugs somehow:
- GPU driver issues
- Broken HTML5 video support
- Profile corruption breaking everything.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not that I'm aware of? I don't have Flash or anything like that installed so everything defaults to HTML5 video which works great. No driver issues either and I've had the same profile since I had Windows 7, upgraded to 10 with no change and no issues. I have about three active computers in the house all with Firefox and I've never had any issues. I don't even remember when Firefox last crashed on me, and I get mad when things don't work. Honestly if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have thought there were any real issues to speak of.

I totally understand that there are bugs and faults and all that. I'm just being one of those annoying forum guys who just says "works for me!"

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Why are these people still using Firefox instead of Chrome?

They haven't installed any apps that drive-by install Chrome?

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

fourwood posted:

Very surprising to the redditor beards that insist Firefox's declining user share is caused by not strictly adhering to Stallman's ideals, or removing a tab configuration option from 2008.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So when they say 40% of Firefox users don't use addons, is that just the normal Windows/Mac/Linux desktop/laptop users or does it include Firefox on all other platforms like Android? Because I know there's tons of people who use Friefox for Android but have no idea that addons are available there.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

So when they say 40% of Firefox users don't use addons, is that just the normal Windows/Mac/Linux desktop/laptop users or does it include Firefox on all other platforms like Android? Because I know there's tons of people who use Friefox for Android but have no idea that addons are available there.

Compared with desktop/laptop Firefox almost nobody uses Firefox on Android so that population doesn't meaningfully influence the 40% addon users.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
...I use Firefox on Android.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Since upgrading to Firefox 47, it's doing this thing where the only tabs that load up after reopening the browser are the tab in focus in each window. What about:config thing do I have to toggle to get it to load all of them?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

Since upgrading to Firefox 47, it's doing this thing where the only tabs that load up after reopening the browser are the tab in focus in each window. What about :config thing do I have to toggle to get it to load all of them?

Firefox 47 release notes posted:

The browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand preference has been reset to its default value (true) to avoid e10s performance problems. Because faster is better!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So is 47, a.k.a. .GIF Fix, Live now?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kheldarn posted:

So is 47, a.k.a. .GIF Fix, Live now?

Yes, it is live and the gifs are fixed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How were they broken?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

How were they broken?

If you loaded up a webpage with animated gifs, switched to a different tab, waited for a few hours, then switched back, your browser would lock up for a couple minutes as it basically looped through every single frame that you missed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
:stonk: Good thing I have good browser hygiene, I guess.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...I use Firefox on Android.

:hfive: Firefox on Android with uBlock Origin is great and I recommend it. But if you look at current stats even loving mobile IE has more users (since it's the default browser on Windows Mobile).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Grim Up North posted:

:hfive: Firefox on Android with uBlock Origin is great and I recommend it. But if you look at current stats even loving mobile IE has more users (since it's the default browser on Windows Mobile).

... Ouch.

Yeah, uBlock Origin (and, to a lesser extent, Firefox Sync) is/are the exact reason(s) I use Firefox for Android.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Firefox with uBlock Origin on Android is incredible. Nothing in the mobile space compares to Firefox thanks to extension support. I don't even know what I'd do for a mobile browser if I didn't have it.

Really the only reason I started using desktop Firefox at all is because I thought I'd use Sync a hell of a lot more than I actually have to keep things consistent between my PC and phone. I've been thinking about going back from Firefox to Chrome on my desktop since I think it's the better experience in general, but inertia's been keeping me where I am for a while now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Meldonox posted:

Firefox with uBlock Origin on Android is incredible. Nothing in the mobile space compares to Firefox thanks to extension support. I don't even know what I'd do for a mobile browser if I didn't have it.

Well, using Safari on iOS with a content blocker extension is pretty nice to be honest.

I've used Firefox on android a bunch, including the nightlies. It's Ok, but two things really bugged me:

1)
Performance in general was bad compared to any of the Blink/WebKit based browsers, and it had occasional stutters and freezes.

2)
It still doesn't use the android system wide zoom gesture, introduced in Icecream sandwich. Double tap, hold and drag up or down.

That works in every other app on Android, and it's one of the things I miss most since jumping to iOS. Oddly it is present in google maps on iOS if you want to give it a go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wonder why they change the font on the address bar suggestions in 48b1. It's jarring and hard to read.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

~Coxy posted:

I think the surprising part is that it's still 40%. I could easily believe the statistic if it was from 2009. Why are these people still using Firefox instead of Chrome?

That's kind of interesting actually. My first thought was 'well yeah all those family pcs in the last 15 years the nerd son set up and put Firefox on' but surely anyone doing that would install Adblock and so forth as well as a matter of course.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Dad moved to Chrome briefly at the suggestion of one of those nag tags Google dangles on its homepage sometimes. He switched back to Firefox because Chrome proceeded to nag him to start using Google Drive and their on-line Office-alikes, when he's already good and settled into Office 365, OneDrive and the like.

This is a guy who went a year with his desktop set to 640x480 and half of his browser window occupied by toolbars, because he didn't feel bothered to sort that poo poo out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I switched GF to Firefox as I still haven't figured out how the hell her google account is infected with free iPhone popups, even after removing all the extensions.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RZApublican posted:

Be warned if you use Firefox 47 with the extension Mozilla Archive Format 4.0.0, you can't right click and save anything when the extension is enabled. This goes away when you disable it, but given that the extension requires a restart to toggle, it'll be pretty annoying. The developers are usually pretty good about fixing mistakes this glaring, so hopefully it should be remedied before too long.

edit: Although drag and drop still works so if it's something like a picture the bug doesn't seem to affect it.

Took a few days, but the devs finally fixed this :cool:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unless there's some (hidden?) setting I have to change, 47 still shits the bed when the PYF GIF thread is open, and even moreso if I have other threads open in other tabs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How up-to-date do you keep with that thread? It's never given me a problem that I can remember, but I usually only see a handful of gifs at any one time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I read it once a day. There were... ~17 new posts tonight.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Progress report after about a week of using e10s: The browser is definitely more stable in my use, neither the main process nor the tab process has crashed once and I have been using way more tabs than before.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

I read it once a day. There were... ~17 new posts tonight.

:shrug: I just went and un-read the last page and it was fine. Then I un-read the previous page and it was also fine (once it loaded). This is on a Yoga 2 Pro with an i5-4200 and 4 GB of ram, so not a beast.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

:shrug: I just went and un-read the last page and it was fine. Then I un-read the previous page and it was also fine (once it loaded). This is on a Yoga 2 Pro with an i5-4200 and 4 GB of ram, so not a beast.

Maybe it's because I also had about 12 other tabs open? The only animated stuff I remember from those other threads was from banner ads at the bottom, and the occasional avatar...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Firefox ESR updated to 45.2.0 recently and now Youtube videos won't auto-start.
They play fine if I manually move the masthead to like 0:01, or if I press pause then play.

The video has a little popup on it that says "if playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device."

Anyone run into this before?

Edit: believe it or not, this is "media.autoplay.enabled" having started "working" at some point between the last ESR and this one.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 15, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Still on e10s and no apparent problems with anything so far. Even the PYF gif thread works smoothly with 230 tabs.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Wheany posted:

Has anyone else's Firefox started to delete session cookies for Twitter and Flickr in the last ~month or so?

The only extension I have installed around the same timeframe was lightbeam which afaik activates tracking protection. I have since deactivated (but not uninstalled) the extension.

Twitter and Flickr used to keep me logged in between browser crashes, but don't anymore. With Flickr at least I can just chalk it up to their ongoing shittening of the user experience they have been doing for 3 years now.

Oh and of course I have uBlock origin installed, does it have some setting or blocklist in it that possibly blocks cookies?

Aw poo poo, all of a sudden this is happening to my Twitter now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It's almost certainly not uBlock causing the problem. I would try deleting your cookies for the affected sites, perhaps they're corrupted in some fashion. Alternatively you could try a new profile, since there were (are?) profile corruption issues in Firefox which could probably cause this kind of behaviour.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Question: Is there a not garbage theme that's pretty much just the default theme (no button icon/tab changes etc) but restores title bar color to Firefox in Windows 10? It'd be nice if I could tell if Firefox is the active window at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Question: Is there a not garbage theme that's pretty much just the default theme (no button icon/tab changes etc) but restores title bar color to Firefox in Windows 10? It'd be nice if I could tell if Firefox is the active window at a glance.

I think Classic Theme Restorer has an option for this, but I don't have Windows 10 to test it on.
I mainly just use it to get rid of the lovely hamburger menu and get the Firefox button back in the top-left. But it's got a whole load of options.