Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Condiv posted:

tbh, in oklahoma city the inspections of our kitchen was scheduled and not random, and even then we could barely pass (pizza hut)

once our make table's refridgeration broke down because of a heat wave and our manager put dry ice in the bottom to keep the ingredients fresh, but it didn't work, and my brother reached into one of the bins to find maggots squirming on his hands. i walked off because i refused to deliver pizzas to people that could poison them, and my manager lectured me about how irresponsible i was the next time i saw him. i didn't report him to the health inspector and i really regret it

So your proposed solution would be not having health inspections. I trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

tbh, in oklahoma city the inspections of our kitchen was scheduled and not random, and even then we could barely pass (pizza hut)

once our make table's refridgeration broke down because of a heat wave and our manager put dry ice in the bottom to keep the ingredients fresh, but it didn't work, and my brother reached into one of the bins to find maggots squirming on his hands. i walked off because i refused to deliver pizzas to people that could poison them, and my manager lectured me about how irresponsible i was the next time i saw him. i didn't report him to the health inspector and i really regret it

and i'm fully acknowledging that restaurant inspections aren't some perfect and flawless system. like i said wateroverfire i've worked in restaurants for a decade i've seen what they're like. employee stashes a drink in the ice machine, that's a five point ding. thawing fish in the hand washing sink, that's a major ding

replacing this with an even looser system would not in any way improve food safety unless you sincerely believe that the hand of the market corrects everything, except with a bunch of anonymous five star ratings replacing a hundred point checklist that by law must be prominently displayed and is published by the health department

yes, restaurants can acutely get disgusting because of apathetic employees and bad management. now imagine what happens if the health inspector is guaranteed to never show up

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 8, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

OwlFancier posted:

So your proposed solution would be not having health inspections. I trust?

no, i think random health inspections are good (and i think that startup is idiotic and dangerous). i'm just pointing out that health inspection of food isn't that strict for every city.

for example, when i was working in food preperation in norman (about 20 mins from oklahoma city), their food safety standards were much better and they required all food workers to attend a class on food safety, take a test, and get licensed before they could get a job

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and i'm fully acknowledging that restaurant inspections aren't some perfect and flawless system. like i said wateroverfire i've worked in restaurants for a decade i've seen what they're like. employee stashes a drink in the ice machine, that's a five point ding. thawing fish in the hand washing sink, that's a major ding

replacing this with an even looser system would not in any way improve food safety unless you sincerely believe that the hand of the market corrects everything, except with a bunch of anonymous five star ratings replacing a hundred point checklist that by law must be prominently displayed and is published by the health department

yes, restaurants can acutely get disgusting because of apathetic employees and bad management. now imagine what happens if the health inspector is guaranteed to never show up

no i agree with you, i think food safety is really important. there are places though where they don't take it as seriously as they should though. in any case, this start-up is a public threat and should be shut down post-haste

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

no i agree with you, i think food safety is really important. there are places though where they don't take it as seriously as they should though. in any case, this start-up is a public threat and should be shut down post-haste

sorry i was quoting you but really i was responding to the dishonest guy

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pasting a date column into a text editor and then back into excel so that excel recognizes them as dates seems like something that shouldn't be happening in TYOL 2016
Edit: sorry wrong thread

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 9, 2016

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Umm. Not being dishonest. I've also worked in restaurants, and known people who have worked in restaurants, and have had different experiences than you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

crossposting from the yospos version of this thread:

Main Paineframe posted:

uber managed to annoy a judge in one of their many lawsuits :allears:

they hired a private investigator to dig up dirt on the plaintiff and his attorney but got caught. now the judge is ordering them to turn over all documents related to that

quote:

In one instance, an investigator hired by Uber allegedly called Meyer's attorney's professional colleagues and "falsely stated that he was compiling a profile of up-and-coming labor lawyers in the United States," Rakoff wrote.
When confronted about the investigator's calls, attorneys for Kalanick initially denied that the company was involved with them, according to court documents.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doesn't wateroverfire live in Chile or something?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Celebratr, that helps all your celebrations be more memorable!

You just select the number of people that you want to pay to celebrate for you and where and when you want them to do it. Celebratr takes care of the rest!

At the appointed place and time, various CelebratrS (independent contractors) will gather and begin discharging their firearms joyfully into the air in a happy, safe, jolly fashion. Celebratr only takes 10% of the fee, the rest is passed directly to the people doing all the work! No longer will gun-discharging revelers have to be hired on craigslist or in newspaper classifieds. Just tap a button on your phone and you're done!

quote:

Update: All CelebratrS are carefully screened to ensure safe firearms handling. Felons are discovered via a strict screening mechanism.

quote:

Update 2: It has come to the attention of the Celebratr team that some municipalities have antiquated laws on the books prohibiting discharging firearms inside their city limits. We are working with regulators to help these obsolete laws get fixed as soon as possible. Innovation must not be squelched! That said, please refrain from discharging your firearms in the following cities:
<snip>
Note: It is acceptable to wave your loaded firearms around in these cities and collect your Well-Wishestmstill, just do not actually fire your weapons.

quote:

Update 3: Celebratr's screening process is Industry-Leadingtm, but the exact details cannot be detailed so that felons will not be able to know how to circumvent the process.

quote:

Update 4: In response to a drawn out legal battle with the state of New York, Celebratr revealed today that its felony-screening procedures consisted of asking "are you a confirmed felon y/n". This is well in accordance with other legal documents. The fact that a bug in the sign-up process did not reject a potential Celebratr even if they did click Yes is a simple programming bug that was fixed last week. Celebratr maintains its screening process is more than sufficient, since there are no specific legal requirements for crowdsourced mass firearms discharges.

quote:

Update 5: Celebratr, a 200 million dollar company providing peer-to-peer cooperative celebrations, has again been forced into an antiquated concession to hidebound government bureaucrats. Effective immediately, Celebratr will now have each individual wishing to become a Celebratr or Revelr will have to go through a strict security assessment before being allowed to sign up.
-Note this only applies to new Revelrs, people with existing accounts will not need to recertify.

quote:

Update 6: The cast and crew of Celebratr mourn for the family of Elias Gutierrez, 6, who was slain by an errant bullet fired by an independent contractor, whose name is being withheld to protect his family from vicious threats of mob justice. Celebratr wishes everyone to know that firing in any direction other than straight up is expressly forbidden by the Celebratr Code of Conduct. The independent Contractor has been de-listed, which we trust satisfies the family of Elias Gutierrez.

quote:

Update 7: Celebratr wishes to remind all its Celebration Clients that Revelrs who show up to booked Celebrations that were cancelled less than 24 hours in advance are still entitled to full payment. The unfortunate beating incident that took place in Las Palmas, New Mexico was unwarranted, we hope the clarification that all cancellations require 24 hours of notice will help to avoid future unpleasantness.

quote:

Update 8: Celebratr wishes to clarify that it is only in the business of connecting party-goers with party hosts. All responsibility and liability is assumed by the independent contractor, or Revelr.

quote:

Update 9: Celebratr reiterates that it's Revelrs are hired by the Celebratr, using our groundbreaking technology. If the party host and Celebratr are not the same person, how is Celebratr (the company) supposed to know that? We are too busy providing award-winning revelry services to track down petty issues like "does the bride want people firing guns".

quote:

Update 10: In response to the government thugs shooting Celebratr independent contractor (Revelr) Bill Waterhausen outside the Keene County courthouse last week, Celebratr wants to stress that its contractor was only trying to carry out his end of the Celebratr contract. The courthouse was insufficiently marked, but in the end all liability rests with Mr. Waterhausen, since Celebratr only connects people together and takes a cut of the money. A call for Revelrs had been logged on the Celebratr app. The identity of the individual who sent the call for a peaceful and joyous firing of guns into the air is not being disclosed at this time, but it is not clear what, if any, connection they had to any marriages or parties taking place in the Keene County courthouse or surrounding environs.

quote:

Update 11: Celebratr wishes to announce tiered levels of service! This new addition will no doubt continue to meet latent demand for firearm dischargers nationwide.

Tier 1: Small caliber handguns/pistols
Tier 2: All handguns and carbines
Tier 3: Rifles
TIER 4 UNLOCKED: FULL-AUTO AND SELECT-FIRE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snap. Wateroverfire's argument appears to be that health inspections are not flawless so things would work better if we didn't have them.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
I feel like the 'disruptive startup' discussions all get sidetracked into whether or not the regulations are good/useful, instead of the point that the dispatchers are knowingly dodging the regulations.

If I, some average know-nothing, wanted to start a food business I'd assume there would be food permits involved. Starting a taxi business? Taxi permits. Insurance all around. These guys keep pretending to not have even a layperson's understanding of the industries they are trying to 'disrupt'. They are pretending. Its made worse with the independent contractor model, which allows them to say they put out the correct legal guidelines (retroactively, upon being just shocked at the implication they could be breaking the law) but some bad apples were just out of their control. Places like Uber and AirBnB seem suspiciously prepared to lobby against regulatory pushback, how could that be unless they knew what they were doing was against those regulations?

Dont enable them to corral the discussion to the validity or usefulness of the regulations, IMO. There is something distasteful already about someone playing ignorant to boost the dubious value of a product (eg industry + app = cash out before inflated demand craters), but playing ignorant in order to profit when it involves public safety is a whole other degree. Especially while mounting well-funded legal challenges to regulations.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Seems... fake?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

WampaLord posted:

How many other illegal things would you like to handwave away?

Dude seems to basically be a libertarian and never seen a regulation he didn't want gone from what I see. Oh excuse me, disrupted. Whateverfire, what kind of regulations are sacrosanct and need to be kept safe from disruptors?

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 8, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

NLJP posted:

Dude seems to basically be a libertarian and never seen a regulation he didn't want gone from what I see. Oh excuse me, disrupted. Whateverfire, what kind of regulations are sacrosanct and need to be kept safe from disruptors?

The ones that protect property rights are sacrosanct, all the other ones can go get hosed

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Nice thread title
:golfclap:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DOOP posted:

Doesn't wateroverfire live in Chile or something?

No that's someone else with the same avatar.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Grondoth posted:

No that's someone else with the same avatar.

Nah he's a literal Pinochet apologist from Chile lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

rscott posted:

Nah he's a literal Pinochet apologist from Chile lol

Oh, I thought there was a guy in this thread who typed up a "oh, this is why we'll never agree, I see ignoring laws that are inconvenient as just the way we do things" response to someone. I can't find it anymore.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grondoth posted:

Oh, I thought there was a guy in this thread who typed up a "oh, this is why we'll never agree, I see ignoring laws that are inconvenient as just the way we do things" response to someone. I can't find it anymore.

I remember that post, too, but I thought that guy was from India, the country where cops walk up to your car with their hand out.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I was going to challenge for proof of wof's claims but the. I realized I don't care because even if true it doesn't mean that it is the right thing.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

NLJP posted:

I'm not going to go to bat for removing food regulations, but there are plenty of dumb laws that should be tossed out (such as urban form laws). It isn't unreasonable to have some level of skepticism towards over/mis regulation.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Umm. Not being dishonest. I've also worked in restaurants, and known people who have worked in restaurants, and have had different experiences than you.

"my uncle totally works at Nintendo Olive Garden"

also lol at "regulations don't work in chile, they should get rid of them everywhere!"

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Spazzle posted:

I'm not going to go to bat for removing food regulations, but there are plenty of dumb laws that should be tossed out (such as urban form laws). It isn't unreasonable to have some level of skepticism towards over/mis regulation.

Reasonable skepticism involves examining the history of a law, what it was meant to prevent, why it was created, how it impacted/impacts an industry, and then demonstrating the positive impact of removing the law or why the return of what the law removed would be welcome. It isn't "gently caress laws that get in the way of profits."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

jre posted:

Nice thread title
:golfclap:

this thread has had a really good streak of titles, it seems to change every week or so

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

archangelwar posted:

Reasonable skepticism involves examining the history of a law, what it was meant to prevent, why it was created, how it impacted/impacts an industry, and then demonstrating the positive impact of removing the law or why the return of what the law removed would be welcome. It isn't "gently caress laws that get in the way of profits."

Somewhat, sure. But on this forum especially there is a strong bias towards existing/proposed law, with little regard towards actual demonstration of cost benefit analysis. If somewhere tried to make it illegal to cook at home, people here would come out of the woodwork to defend that law.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean strictly I wouldn't because cooking at home is an excellent example of receiving the benefit of your own labour so I'm pretty in favor of that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Somewhat, sure. But on this forum especially there is a strong bias towards existing/proposed law, with little regard towards actual demonstration of cost benefit analysis. If somewhere tried to make it illegal to cook at home, people here would come out of the woodwork to defend that law.

Regulations to protect the health of workers and the public at large need an affirmative defense in the face of profits for business owners got it

Can you step up your lovely concern troll game?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the "health and safety gone mad" meme

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Gonna just start taking machinist's and engineer's word that parts are good, making sure poo poo is in tolerance is too onerous and slows things down

I'm sure nothing bad will happen

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Spazzle posted:

So your here to attack imaginary arguments? Good to know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In any country where rule of law is accepted (like the US, ostensibly), the onus of proof that a regulation should be changed is on the person asking to change it. :shrug:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Spazzle posted:

Look I'm just saying the majority of the time this forum is biased towards being wrong. Like in my imaginary scenario that no one would defend I imagine people would defend it here. Isn't that absurd? So clearly that means you're wrong by default. *blows on bubble pipe*

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Dude, I think Spazzle's post is pretty reasonable. Spazzle is just explaining why this thread's knee-jerk ideology is naïve.

IMO, this thread is pretty weird--it is kind of like bizarro D&D. In this thread, government laws are just, by virtue of being government laws. However, every other thread in this forum mostly consists of complaining about the government's laws and policies. Also, in this thread, profit is good, and when a company is unprofitable it is bad. This is to be contrasted with the rest of D&D where profit is bad and profitable companies are literally evil. Finally, in this thread, it is commonly thought that over-investment in start-up companies has produced a lot of me-too companies which add no value. However, if you were to say the same thing about scientific research, government funding for the arts, etc, in other threads, you'd be shunned, and posters would swear up and down that that effect would be impossible and that there is all of this great scientific research and art which is being stifled by lack of investment and that more investment always means more output.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The government laws are just because the government has repeatedly proven a pressing public need to have things like food safety laws. Contrarily, there's no pressing public need to have hate crime laws protecting police officers. This is not a hypocritical view in any way and trying to frame it as such is straight-up delusional.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bushiz posted:

The government laws are just because the government has repeatedly proven a pressing public need to have things like food safety laws. Contrarily, there's no pressing public need to have hate crime laws protecting police officers. This is not a hypocritical view in any way and trying to frame it as such is straight-up delusional.

Spazzle's not arguing against food safety laws. He's complaining about how this thread is knee-jerk pro-regulation no matter what the regulation is, and how people in this thread have made arguments which literally consisted of "startup company breaks law, therefore startup company is bad". However, much of the rest of D&D consists of complaining about how government practices, laws, and regulations are unfair, unjust, bigoted, sexist, racist, hyper-bigoted, giga-bigoted, whatever, and for that reason I say that this thread is kind of a bizarro D & D.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 9, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Spazzle's not arguing against food safety laws. He's complaining about how this thread is knee-jerk pro-regulation no matter what the regulation is, and how people in this thread have made arguments which literally consisted of "startup company breaks law, therefore startup company is bad". However, much of the rest of D&D consists of complaining about how government practices, laws, and regulations are unfair, unjust, bigoted, sexist, racist, hyper-bigoted, giga-bigoted, whatever, and for that reason I say that this thread is kind of a bizarre D & D.

The burden of proof is on him to prove this. So far, the laws argued in this thread have all been public safety laws put in place after very graphic examples of why they were needed back in the Guilded Age.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silence_kit posted:

Spazzle's not arguing against food safety laws. He's complaining about how this thread is knee-jerk pro-regulation no matter what the regulation is, and how people in this thread have made arguments which literally consisted of "startup company breaks law, therefore startup company is bad". However, much of the rest of D&D consists of complaining about how government practices, laws, and regulations are unfair, unjust, bigoted, sexist, racist, hyper-bigoted, giga-bigoted, whatever, and for that reason I say that this thread is kind of a bizarre D & D.

Can you provide a single specific instance of a particular law being lauded here but criticized elsewhere in D&D, or is this just a clumsy attempt to lump laws that protect us from food poisoning in with bloated defense contracts under the umbrella of "things government has laws about"?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

silence_kit posted:

Dude, I think Spazzle's post is pretty reasonable. Spazzle is just explaining why this thread's knee-jerk ideology is naïve.

IMO, this thread is pretty weird--it is kind of like bizarro D&D. In this thread, government laws are just, by virtue of being government laws. However, every other thread in this forum mostly consists of complaining about the government's laws and policies. Also, in this thread, profit is good, and when a company is unprofitable it is bad. This is to be contrasted with the rest of D&D where profit is bad and profitable companies are literally evil. Finally, in this thread, it is commonly thought that over-investment in start-up companies has produced a lot of me-too companies which add no value. However, if you were to say the same thing about scientific research, government funding for the arts, etc, in other threads, you'd be shunned, and posters would swear up and down that that effect would be impossible and that there is all of this great scientific research and art which is being stifled by lack of investment and that more investment always means more output.

So his critique is right because of the opposite of what he said is true :confused:

Spazzle posted:

Somewhat, sure. But on this forum especially there is a strong bias towards existing/proposed law, with little regard towards actual demonstration of cost benefit analysis . If somewhere tried to make it illegal to cook at home, people here would come out of the woodwork to defend that law.

I mean it's right here on this page of the thread. He described this forum as overwhelmingly pro-law. Both as status quo and supporting all proposed laws. That was literally his critique. Something you are even saying is not true.
What's he right about other than the vague notion of D&D (and this thread) having a dumb dumb hivemind that you're smarter than?

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

silence_kit posted:

In addition to what others have said, there is a world of difference between saying that X government law is bad for whatever reason and start-ups (or companies in general) can just do whatever they want without regard for the law. It is entirely consistent that the "rest of D&D consists of complaining about how government practices, laws, and regulations are unfair, unjust, bigoted, sexist, racist, hyper-bigoted, giga-bigoted, whatever," and have the same "people in this thread [make] arguments which literally consist of 'startup company breaks law, therefore startup company is bad'". You seem to think the entire subtext of D&D is whether we should live in a world of laws, rather than what the consequences of those laws are.