Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

It does, it just forgot to make enemies have reasonable HP totals, attack tells of any kind, proper camera angles, or in the case of two bosses an opening to deal damage beyond "Stand in the one safe spot and hold the fire button down until it dies or you die in real life"

Honest to god a fantastic DMC2 tip is to just never play as Lucia because that way you never, ever have to fight possibly the worst designed boss ever in a 3d action game.

Easy the series was still getting confused with Resident Evil but with Unlimited ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

It should be noted that, while effective, soldier is without a doubt the most boring way to play Mass Effect, so give some consideration to doing another playthrough as another class once you finish this one.

Agreed, the only really interesting thing about it is the Assault Rifle. It's actually a good idea to just playthrough until you get the assault rifle achievement, then restart as a different class taking the Assault Rifle as a bonus skill.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm a big assault rifle and sniper rifle combo fan, so soldier seemed the logical choice for my first dip into the game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There's nothing really wrong with it, you just don't have any real cool abilities like the other classes do. You can always use the abilities from your team mates, so it's not that big a deal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Randler posted:

Anything for Shogun 2: Total War aimed at total newcomers to the series?

(Would also appreciate to know if unit sizes affect anything mechanically.)

Unit size affects stuff like scaling walls, entering through fortifications, and holding formation. Especially large-size units like Ashigarus will get majorly hung up on walls and gates, their numbers will get split and they'll get cut down as they come in. Always be careful of creating entryway bottlenecks with your own units because that poo poo happens a lot if you aren't aware of it and actively trying to avoid it.

The other, possibly more-important thing to know is that once you start conquering fiefdoms, the rest of Japan is loving watching your every move. Once you hold 16 provinces (I think it's 16), the game goes into Realm Divide mode: every remaining leader allies with one another against you and the game changes from a military/city manager to an insanely chaotic push to the capital city. Make sure your economy can support three or four armies of 10-20 units each, get your generals ranked up, and make sure to have a nice navy because the AI, even on Normal, is very much so smart enough to try to drop guys on cities you thought were safe.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Unit size affects stuff like scaling walls, entering through fortifications, and holding formation. Especially large-size units like Ashigarus will get majorly hung up on walls and gates, their numbers will get split and they'll get cut down as they come in. Always be careful of creating entryway bottlenecks with your own units because that poo poo happens a lot if you aren't aware of it and actively trying to avoid it.

The other, possibly more-important thing to know is that once you start conquering fiefdoms, the rest of Japan is loving watching your every move. Once you hold 16 provinces (I think it's 16), the game goes into Realm Divide mode: every remaining leader allies with one another against you and the game changes from a military/city manager to an insanely chaotic push to the capital city. Make sure your economy can support three or four armies of 10-20 units each, get your generals ranked up, and make sure to have a nice navy because the AI, even on Normal, is very much so smart enough to try to drop guys on cities you thought were safe.

In addition to this, be careful with your farming/building upgrades. Upgrade farms in highly-fertile areas ASAP, medium areas as a second priority and don't do it at all for bad farming provinces - they won't make their money back in a short campaign and they'll be a loss on a long campaign for most of the game.

Trade resource points, mostly on the left side of the map, are great for early income if you can secure them from pirates.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything for Devil May Cry Collection? I picked it up on the PSN sale last night so I started dicking with it. I'm going in chronological order so 3,1,4,2. It's the special edition of 3 by the way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gerblyn posted:

There's nothing really wrong with it, you just don't have any real cool abilities like the other classes do. You can always use the abilities from your team mates, so it's not that big a deal.

Yeah; soldier is very effecyive, and possibly the most powerful/best class for insanity, but it's just extremely bland compared to the other options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Anything for Devil May Cry Collection? I picked it up on the PSN sale last night so I started dicking with it. I'm going in chronological order so 3,1,4,2. It's the special edition of 3 by the way.

Going in chronological series order is, bluntly a bad idea. The stories have little to do with each other and any callbacks only exist when played in release order since the stories overlap so little. Additionally, and this is the important one, the mechanics change quite a bit from the first to the fourth game but are noticeably iterative with each outing so you'll have a much more enjoyable progression playing through that order.

You can just skip 2. 2 isn't the worst game you've ever played and has lots of neat mechanical innovations the later games would take and make full systems but it is both not well designed and duller than dishwater. If you don't love the color brown and massive enemy healthbars it's not the game for you. Dante also doesn't talk much if at all and seems kind of bored the whole time in a aged punk kind of way.

The controls for DMC1 have been tweaked slightly in the trilogy collection because woof to the original scheme. You can enable classic to see how far the genre has come.

In all games mobility upgrades are critical. Things which give you double jump or increased range on gap closing moves are the most generally valuable abilities. By DMC4 they'll realize having currency and upgrade points come from a single pool is a dumb idea but you'll just have to deal until then.

If you're going to replay each one a bunch get a guide for secret room locations. Every game has them and the chances you'll find all of them are slim to none. In addition a guide can tell you if you can even complete a secret room on the first go round or if you'll need more abilities.

In DMC 3 if you hold the devil trigger button without releasing you'll charge an explosive attack at the cost of some devil trigger. This can do quite a bit of damage to all enemies in a radius and is the only game where this works. It's a bit of a tough move to use effeciently unless you know what you're doing so experiment with it and if you find its not effective enough for you just use plain ol DT.

In DMC4 upgrading the charge shot for Nero is absurdly useful. It deals, frankly, stupidly high damage and stuns enemies and gives you a huge combo boost when you hit with the level 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

juliuspringle posted:

Pretty sure that chronological order is actually 3, 1, 2, 4.

And everything Barudak said is very accurate. DO NOT play DMC2.

I would start with 1 because its the roughest. If you play 3 and 4 and then go play 1, you're going to be frustrated you don't have a ton of features and toys and mechanics.

1 is almost more of a resident evil game than the straight balls-out action the later games became.
3 is the best, 4 is pretty much just as good mechanically but the story is goofier. (but sometimes so stupid its funny)

So if I were you I would play them: 1, 3, 4 or maybe 1, 4, 3.

Pick one or two main "devil arms" that you like and invest heavily into getting all the moves for those so you can combo better, then you can worry about unlocking moves on other weapons.

Don't bother upgrading your guns really, they always do piss damage. You're meant to use guns to stun people and extend combos, not to do damage. Trying to do damage to bosses with guns just takes FOREVER and is really frustrating. Focus on using your melee weapons almost exclusively, with some ranged thrown in for comboing. I mean, if you have spare souls laying around you can go ahead and upgrade your guns a little, but do not prioritize it over your arms.

As a result, I don't recommend you use the gunslinger style in DMC3. Swordmaster is the best for lower skill players and Redguard / Trickster are the best once you've gotten real comfortable with the game mechanics.

In DMC4 you can freely switch between styles mid-level so it doesn't matter, and in DMC 1 and 2 there are no styles.

Barudak posted:

In all games mobility upgrades are critical.

TLDR: Always buy Stinger first, and get double-jump when you can.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
It's 3, 1, 4, 2.

2 being at the end lets them basically ignore it for all eternity if they make more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
But Dante is noticably way older in 4 than in 2. That's weird.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0z9XFQpuRs

Here's somebody saying 4 comes after 2, and its Capcom's director of communications

But either way, pretend 2 and DmC never happened.

The order is 1, 3, 4 :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Redguard / Trickster are the best once you've gotten real comfortable with the game mechanics.
Curved swords?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Curved swords?

Sorry I meant "royal guard" not redguard.

What about curved swords? You mean Agni and Rudra?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry I meant "royal guard" not redguard.

What about curved swords? You mean Agni and Rudra?
Curved. Swords.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've played a bunch of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir:

- If you're halfway decent at action games, I'd recommend playing on Hard. It's difficult, but not stupidly so, offering a good challenge without just crushing you.

- Rooms with wind blowing you back that makes it impossible to proceed require you to equip Iron Boots.

- Remember to update your equipment every now and then for the defense boosts they offer.

- There are 21 different skills for each character, and it's unlikely you're going to level them all up. So level up the Passive ones, and find a few Active ones that you use frequently.

- Dodging is a really freakin' useful addition to the game, use it liberally as you are invincible for quite a long time. Use it to dodge large, powerful attacks, use it in midair to leap over bosses, use it if you're passing through a damage field.

- Potions are really awesome, don't be afraid to use them (especially the attack ones) as you'll likely be getting more Material and Mandragoras than you know what to do with.

- Every chapter has a hidden Psypher Skill, and they are pretty heavily hinted at in the skill description.

- If a boss or battle proves to be too hard, hunt down Maury and stuff your face, also don't forget the Pooka Village, where you can stuff your face even more. You'll probably gain a few levels this way.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I too just bought the DMC collection. Am I doing something wrong or is the dodge roll in 3 just really hard to pull off consistently? I keep dying to the first witch enemy and now the game is all "lol I guess you need easy mode". No, what I need is for enemies I'm targeting to stop jumping over my head and for the camera to not be poo poo so I can actually dodge roll and Stinger consistently. I've played 1 and 4 (and half of 2 I guess) and don't remember it being this obnoxious.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I too just bought the DMC collection. Am I doing something wrong or is the dodge roll in 3 just really hard to pull off consistently?

Your invincibility frames are when you jump, so try that instead of rolling. I had a hard time playing God of War because DMC trained me to jump away from enemies instead of roll.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I apparently picked up Persona Q. I've never played a persona game before, but I have played some etrian odyssey. anything I should know?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's...not great.

theshim posted:

For Persona Q, Naoto is the best character in the game because she gets the Light and Dark instakill moves, and unlike the actual Persona games, nearly every non-boss or FOE enemy is not only vulnerable but are actually weak to one of the two. Impure Reach is a skill that boosts all ailment chances, but for some inexplicable reason it also boosts the chances of instant death.

For bosses and FOEs, early on Poison is the only way to really make a dent in the first few (they are gigantic annoying HP sponges and do nothing interesting), but once you can transition to Panic and your characters can do real damage they become experience pinatas. The thing about Panic is that a) it prevents enemies from doing anything but using the normal attack command, which is already incredibly good, b) as an ancillary benefit they may hit themselves, and c) most importantly, being Panicked means your evasion is set to 0 and all attacks hit. Once you do that you can then start using skills like Myriad Arows, which hit a bunch of times but have poor accuracy. Without the downside, they're the strongest attack skills.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Randler posted:

Anything for Shogun 2: Total War aimed at total newcomers to the series?

(Would also appreciate to know if unit sizes affect anything mechanically.)
Unit sizes affects the experience loss during replenishment. You wouldn't want to use hero units to lead fights or they lose a couple chevrons. It also affects the number of losses they can take before morale loss tells them to commit shamefur disprays while fleeing. The massive unit sizes are untrained peasants.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Since GOG gave it out for free I'm trying System Shock 2 for the first time. How does character creation work? I just went Navy since hacking sounds like a solid bet in the kind of game and hoped it wasn't a complete waste. :v:

The game's kinda infamous for screwing you if you build badly, apparently. So uh, how should I build my character?

I'm playing on Hard, is that a bad idea?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm back on an ARPG kick and picked up Torchlight II since I remembered the first as being pretty fun (and pretty as hell). Is there anything I should know going in? Any classes particularly over/under-powered? And build choices that will bite me in the rear end later on?

The only character I've stuck with past level 5 or so is an Embermage, since I think I spotted a potentially hilarious skill synergy; Embermages get a magic missile spell that randomly puts status effects on guys it hits, and then they have passive skills that proc damage bursts any time you hit a guy with status effects on him. So if it works like I think it does I should be able to just spam these homing missiles of doom and have things explode from multiple damage procs...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anatharon posted:

Since GOG gave it out for free I'm trying System Shock 2 for the first time. How does character creation work? I just went Navy since hacking sounds like a solid bet in the kind of game and hoped it wasn't a complete waste. :v:

The game's kinda infamous for screwing you if you build badly, apparently. So uh, how should I build my character?

Navy is a great way to start

Great skills:
Hack, Maintain, Standard Weapons
Good skills
Heavy Weapons

Great skills:
Strength

Research can stay at 1.

For everything else, guides willl either tell you that they're super important skills or worthless.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anatharon posted:

No idea on the difficulty levels, it's been too long.

First off, general advice: the way I approach SS2 is that this is resource management: the game, especially the early parts. I conserve ammo where I can and go melee first, ranged second. When you open the inventory menu the game does not pause. IIRC right-clicking on stuff gives you more info. You'll find lots of logs, by default, pressing "U" will play the oldest unread audio log. This doesn't pause the game so you can listen while continuing exploring. You may need to fix the controls for walking/running & leaning. IIRC the defaults are kinda bad.

there are 4 weapon classes, normal, heavy, exotic and energy, and they're not very well balanced. Normal (pistol, shotgun, assault rifle) is versatile, heavy has the extremely useful grenade launcher and not much else, energy is emp-based weapons that are good at killing metal enemies (robots, turrets, ...) exotic is alien weaponry that is good against organics.

Normal weaponry is the only one that has multiple ammo types per weapon, usually it's "generic vs anti-personnel vs anti-machines" so use the appropriate ammo for max damage - and find what button switches ammo type on the fly because it's going to come inhandy. It is entirely possible to get through the game focusing only on normal weapons, the rest are more situational but can be really fun in the right context, it depends on your preference.

Soldier and Navy are pretty similar except the soldier is a lot more limited in his technical skills (hacking and maintenance etc.). IMO navy is the way to go. One thing to keep in mind: there is weapon durability in this game. every time you shoot the game rolls loaded dice to see if the weapon breaks ("jammed"), the lower durability, the more likely it breaks. Repair fixes jammed weapons. Maintenance (combined with a maintenance item) make it that your weapon never jams to begin with. Focus on maintenance not on repair. Hacking is incredibly powerful. Research: 1 is a must, more is necessary for the exotic weapons. Other than that ... not necessary but a nice extra.

Psyonics are insanely unbalanced - some late-skill tree abilities break the game completely, many are downright pointless, so you need a firm grasp on how the game works and the xp investment is pretty massive. IMO give it a miss until late into the game or a second playthrough.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For System Shock 2 iirc items stay on the ground forever so it's useful to find a hidden corner near the elevator to dump your excess stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really wouldn't recommend playing on hard to start. The difficulty does affect how many skill modules you get.

e: Excuse me, the difficulty affects how much skills cost. The higher you set it the fewer skills you should expect.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 11, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I can't find anything in the Wiki for Chroma Squad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RatHat posted:

For System Shock 2 iirc items stay on the ground forever so it's useful to find a hidden corner near the elevator to dump your excess stuff.

Actually no, that reminds me. Whatever is in the elevator when you move to a different deck transfers with you. So keep the elevator as your supply closet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh you sure about that? I remember using specific rooms for storage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PJOmega posted:

I can't find anything in the Wiki for Chroma Squad.

Poison Mushroom posted:

* Movement is super important for getting the extra bonuses, and really hard to buff, so -Move is super hard to deal with. Think really, REALLY hard about using a low-move actor.
* Other than that, the most important stat is +Skill Regen, especially on your healer. Being able to use your best skill a turn sooner almost always tops out whatever other benefit you might have.
* The only items you ever really NEED to craft are your robot, the +Speed boots (which are good for the whole game on certain characters/builds) or the +Throw Range gloves for one or two missions. (The season finale where you have to damage the producer in the first turn, most notably.)
* You can craft other items, some of the weapons can be pretty decent, but you're under no compulsion to.
* Even then, don't waste money on crafting mats unless you have money to burn.
* Usually, by the time a five-episode contract with one marketing company ends, you've unlocked at least one better one. Use whichever suit your playstyle.
* If you really can't pick, flat money bonuses are good short-term choices, while things like +Fan Conversion and +Viewers are best for long-term planning.
* How you handle the Season 4 finale decides what your final season and ending are.
* Ending choice spoilers: For the Sixth Ranger ending, take out the boss before the minion, and let the minion join. For the Metal Heroes ending, take out the boss first, but don't let the minion join. For the Masked Rider ending, take out the minion first.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

double nine posted:

Actually no, that reminds me. Whatever is in the elevator when you move to a different deck transfers with you. So keep the elevator as your supply closet.

Stacking things in the elevator is great until it breaks your save and items disappear. Be judicious in what you choose to put in there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Internet Friend posted:

Stacking things in the elevator is great until it breaks your save and items disappear. Be judicious in what you choose to put in there.

There are some nice retexture mods a quick Google should pick them up. Rebirth, IIRC? Very worthwhile.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Mad Max?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Anything for Mad Max?
The wiki page has solid advice.
Anything for Overfall?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarLocke posted:

I'm back on an ARPG kick and picked up Torchlight II since I remembered the first as being pretty fun (and pretty as hell). Is there anything I should know going in? Any classes particularly over/under-powered?

Yeah, the first thing you should know is, you should've gotten Grim Dawn or Path of Exile instead :( Torchlight II was all right when it came out... at a time when the last good ARPG we'd gotten was Diablo 2 in over a decade.

As for underpowered, the engineer is pretty disappointing. Their top-tier attack skill has a lot of RNG involved in it (it's very nice when it works the way you're hoping, but it's, like, a random fissure pattern thing, and it never ever goes where you want it to), and their whole "built for survivability" thing goes out the window since they're intended to be armor tanks, but the armor formula kinda sucks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Odin Sphere: Leblahblahblah questions. The level up bonus for skills are applied when I level up that skill, not when I level up he character, right? I mean, I'm not handicapping myself by eating fruit rather than leveling up skills.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Besides what's already on the wiki, does anyone have anything for Darkest Dungeon?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Sociopastry posted:

Besides what's already on the wiki, does anyone have anything for Darkest Dungeon?

- No matter how badly you (think you) are doing, there's no reason to reset unless you're in NG+.
- Campfire buffs have been nerfed, the entry on the wiki is outdated. You will still get more out of scouting bonuses early, but you might want to go into the dungeon a bit before your first campfire.
- Do not be afraid to fire someone as soon as they become a liability. Get a bunch of negative quirks that actually matter and will take 3 weeks to fix? Send 'em packing. Didn't look at their abilities well enough when you hired them and they're not performing up to speck? Get rid of 'em. Don't like their name? Just don't like that guy anymore? gently caress him, he lives on the street now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Rented Homefront: The Revolution for PS4. Any tips before I play?