Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

John Charity Spring posted:

Anyone got pointers for putting Helblaster volley guns to good use, incidentally? In every battle I've played with them, they've accomplished more or less gently caress all - a couple dozen kills at the very most, no matter how I deploy them. They seem to need more or less direct line of sight so unless I have a big hill to put them on, they get put into the checkerboard of the main line like handgunners do; but a single unit of handgunners always accomplishes more than a battery of helblasters does. What am I doing wrong? Or are they really underpowered at the moment?

They're just not very good right now, bring something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Today I learned if your charging up a hill and your infantry gets hit by something that sends them flying, like chariots or cavalry, everyone who fell a lethal distance from the impact will die.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fans posted:

They're just not very good right now, bring something else.

Yeah, Hellblasters are underpowered at the moment. I think they do decent single target armour piercing DPS, so maybe they are good against giants and stuff? Dunno.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Vargs posted:

This interview stuff didn't end up giving up much interesting info but I did like this part. I hope they end up buffing Mannfred and nerfing Kemmler in the next patch.

Sadly, just a formatting error, it's more like:

Re: Kemmler being poo poo

Or perhaps Mannfred is just too strong, comparatively? ect ect

Also yeah, Hellblasters blow right now. I did some artillery testing a few days ago and they basically just lob a cluster of 9 "barely stronger than handgunner" shots.

It's like 9 normal bullet impacts for 30 damage each, vs the Dwarf Organ Gun shooting 4 mini cannonballs for 50 damage that can each penetrate lines and hit multiple dudes. Also the Organ gun is cheaper and has way better range. It's everything the Hellblaster dreams of being when it grows up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

This interview stuff didn't end up giving up much interesting info but I did like this part. I hope they end up buffing Mannfred and nerfing Kemmler in the next patch.

Demigryph Knight buffs inc

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The best siege assault tactic for dwarfs is to just shoot everyone manning the walls with your quarrelers and artillery, right?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

LonsomeSon posted:

Folks a couple pages ago were talking about Mazz's (awesome) tier-IV towns mod, so I figured I'd post some shots from my current Empire campaign.

:words:

Awesome, glad you enjoy it. Let me know if you think anything should be reworked (this is an open invitation to any of you). Some guy in the steam discussions is telling me you can't upgrade Altdorf past the vanilla limit and that the mod is bugged, I'm going to use your screenshot as a response.

EDIT: Actually I might just save that screenshot and use it in the mod description, since it's further along then any of my empire screens, if that's okay with you.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 9, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Awesome, glad you enjoy it. Let me know if you think anything should be reworked (this is an open invitation to any of you). Some guy in the steam discussions is telling me you can't upgrade Altdorf past the vanilla limit and that the mod is bugged, I'm going to use your screenshot as a response.

Worked fine in Altdorf for me.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Wallet posted:

Worked fine in Altdorf for me.

Yeah the most likely answer is he's just dumb and he capped his growth (it caps at 5 pop) and doesn't have the ~5k gold to actually upgrade the settlements.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Back To 99 posted:

The best siege assault tactic for dwarfs is to just shoot everyone manning the walls with your quarrelers and artillery, right?

Yep, take out the edge tower with your artillery while a line of miners (I started using Ungrim after I got him a way to regen) eats the shots from the tower. Then move your quarrelers just into range of the troops on the wall. I usually send Ungrim up on the wall to flush out the units that are hiding also, since he's pretty much unable to really be hurt once you have a toughness potion on him.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Is anyone else using a magic mod? I'm using Maloy's Spell mod, and it owns. I'm on VC right now, and the changes are cool. He kept Spirit Leech's damage, just hacked the range way down. I basically just have Manfred/Other Von Carstein cast it as he's charging into their Lord.

I do find the reduced range on it incentives me to cast more Danse and Aspect of the Dreadknight. I haven't picked up a lot of the other spells. I got him +15% casualty Replenishment, a few combat talents and the Zombie Dragon. Now I've got five more talents and I'm torn between shooting for lighting strike or Fate of Bjuna and Purple Sun.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One interesting note regarding horde mechanics, that I haven't really seen touched upon, is something related to each building's initial cost in terms of horde growth increasing as the number of structures you build increases. That's noticeable and obvious, of course. But since it's based on the current number of buildings, that also means the cost of a new one decreases if you happen to destroy a preexisting structure.

Which means that if you don't really want to use Marauders or other stuff out of that building, just destroy the structure and suddenly it's far faster and cheaper to put up the Chaos Warrior building - or even a really high tier building if you're willing to gamble with time/tossed the stack some good units from a different horde. This doesn't necessarily mean the horde growth rate doesn't need tweaked upwards, but it is helpful.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

One interesting note regarding horde mechanics, that I haven't really seen touched upon, is something related to each building's initial cost in terms of horde growth increasing as the number of structures you build increases. That's noticeable and obvious, of course. But since it's based on the current number of buildings, that also means the cost of a new one decreases if you happen to destroy a preexisting structure.

Which means that if you don't really want to use Marauders or other stuff out of that building, just destroy the structure and suddenly it's far faster and cheaper to put up the Chaos Warrior building - or even a really high tier building if you're willing to gamble with time/tossed the stack some good units from a different horde. This doesn't necessarily mean the horde growth rate doesn't need tweaked upwards, but it is helpful.

Yea, I did this in my Chaos campaign. I first recruited enough dogs to fill out my unit (dogs rule) then I destroy that building and start going up the warrior building line. Then replaced all the marauder units except the dogs with warriors, then I destroyed that building and built the dragon ogre building and then the shaggoth one and started working on my all shaggoth army. I think I had it all up and running by around turn 40-50ish doing it that way and an army of nothing but shaggoths is very good agianst the UI. They are fast enough to even chase dogs and light cav off the map while the rest of them deal with the block troops.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I want a mod that makes a very small unit of dwarves that have tiny health and no melee but slowly throw explosives a short range that absolutely annihilate nearby friends and enemies.

I want a Myth 2 dwarf.

Casualty.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ammanas posted:

I want a mod that makes a very small unit of dwarves that have tiny health and no melee but slowly throw explosives a short range that absolutely annihilate nearby friends and enemies.

I want a Myth 2 dwarf.

Casualty.

I would like Myth: Total War.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

This is pretty close, except in Myth it was filled with despair as it chronicled a doomed empire desperately fighting an unwinnable war, you literally cannot lose in WTW unless you try

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
God the chaos dragon is terrible. It lowers your attack and armor by a massive amount and doesn't really give you anything over the manticore. I just finished a chaos very hard campaign and near the end I had a level 30 lord on a dragon and one on the barded warhorse and the warhorse was better in every way.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I keep melee lords on the ground. They aren't as mobile but they won't suffer a penalty against spear units. Aura units benefit from mobility although most of the time your units will route before you can reinforce their morale anyway

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Actually I might just save that screenshot and use it in the mod description, since it's further along then any of my empire screens, if that's okay with you.

Hell yeah, totally cool with me. My intention is to try Dwarfs next and see how much it helps out with training pre-requisites there.

Also, regarding the Helblasters, that's pretty lovely, I've only used them in one battle thus far and my general impression was Organ Guns Are Better, mostly due to the trajectory. When I do my victory lap obliteration of the vampires I'm going to swap the Great Guns for Luminarks and the Helblasters for Handgunners, I suppose.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Does anyone have advice on getting GemFX working? I've seen a youtube video posted showing someone using it and I downloaded it from the TWCenter site but the only one they had was for Rome 2, and when I started using it it stayed stuck on full bloom and funky lighting effects that looked cool but none of the settings I was changing made any difference. Also it affects the UI as well but I've heard that's a known issue. Disabled for now but it looks really cool and I'd love to use it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

Quarrelers and Thunderers are actually kinda meh at hitting enemies behind the ramparts in my experiene. Miners and Ironbreakers with blasting charges however are pure hilarity for doing that. Also, you never need a ram if you have some Miners because the little guys hack through city gates stupidly fast. Dwarfs in general are just complete assholes in a siege battle, no matter which side they're on. The whole nature of it just plays right into everything they're good at.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

I keep melee lords on the ground. They aren't as mobile but they won't suffer a penalty against spear units. Aura units benefit from mobility although most of the time your units will route before you can reinforce their morale anyway

I hate to break this to you, but I'm pretty sure anti-large applies to cavalry.

Unless you mean completely unmounted? In either case, the mount is definitely worth it. The bonus spear units get isn't particularly important given the stats melee lords end up with.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's just as many anti-infantry units as there are anti-large ones. I'd much prefer to have the ability to pick and choose my battles (and get a few rear charges off...) than some minor situational bonus.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ammanas posted:

Casualties.

ftfy

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Can't for the life of me make even simple script edits work. I want to (eventually) add some custom traits/trait triggers to the existing script but it just outright loving refuses to work. Like even when I just try to change a 10% chance of getting a trait to 100% (e.g. getting the confident attacker trait after a decisive win) it doesn't work. I'm only adding a goddamn zero to you game why won't you cooperate :gonk:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

LonsomeSon posted:

Also, regarding the Helblasters, that's pretty lovely, I've only used them in one battle thus far and my general impression was Organ Guns Are Better, mostly due to the trajectory. When I do my victory lap obliteration of the vampires I'm going to swap the Great Guns for Luminarks and the Helblasters for Handgunners, I suppose.

I'm not sold on the Luminark. Yeah, it does pretty good single-target damage, but that's really unimpressive and never feels effective - 20 seconds between shots and each shot takes 1/10th of a giant's health off, wow, I'm so impressed. Whereas a battery of great cannons loving pummel that giant and keep it staggering and bellowing until it goes down, and can also wreak havoc on troop formations too.

Helstorm rockets, great cannons, steam tanks, and to a lesser extent mortars: good Empire artillery/war machines. Helblasters/Luminark: not that impressive I think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Silver Seal quest seems to have malfunctioned. I did the first part (deploy a witchhunter) but the second part of the quest never fired. The only quest I have on my tab is the one for the Runefang.
Edit: This is a known bug. Anyone been able to do it successfully?

Also, is there any way to improve my odds of getting a Captain? I want my +exp on recruits.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 10, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

My Silver Seal quest seems to have malfunctioned. I did the first part (deploy a witchhunter) but the second part of the quest never fired. The only quest I have on my tab is the one for the Runefang.

Also, is there any way to improve my odds of getting a Captain? I want my +exp on recruits.

What do you mean by the "odds" of getting a Captain?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Go... hire one? A t3 barracks lets you hire one I'm pretty sure.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm not sold on the Luminark. Yeah, it does pretty good single-target damage, but that's really unimpressive and never feels effective - 20 seconds between shots and each shot takes 1/10th of a giant's health off, wow, I'm so impressed. Whereas a battery of great cannons loving pummel that giant and keep it staggering and bellowing until it goes down, and can also wreak havoc on troop formations too.

Helstorm rockets, great cannons, steam tanks, and to a lesser extent mortars: good Empire artillery/war machines. Helblasters/Luminark: not that impressive I think.

Mortars are only good because you can build them early.

They knock everyone around, but they do gently caress all for damage.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you mean by the "odds" of getting a Captain?

I think they mean the random heroes that occasionally pop up for each faction via events. I doubt there's a way to game the odds of which one you receive, but from what I've seen I think you get one of each for free eventually.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I kinda glossed over them before in my Orc review, so here's my impressions on proper Orcy Magic

Goblin/Night Goblin Shaman:

Goblin Shamans can be recruited as Lords and get wolves, Night Goblin Shamans are heroes and eat shrooms to reduce spell cooldowns massively. Other than they are basically the same thing.

Pros: Heavy use of support effects means they are much less impacted by spell scaling problems than Orc shamans.

Cons: Bit of a one-trick pony, are miserably weak and easy to kill even by Wizard standards, lovely or no mount options.

Lore of the Little Waaugh Spells

Oddly, like half the Goblin Shaman spells do not have overcast versions.

Sneaky Stealin

Your passive ability, slightly drains recharge speed for enemy spellcasters. Not useless, but not exciting either.

Sneaky Stabbin

Your most basic spell, and oddly decent. It's a very cheap small aoe buff that gives allies a pretty substantial +34 attack and +18% AP damage. The main downside here is that it only lasts 12 seconds and can't be overcasted, so you gotta either be really on the ball with casting this at the right time or else spam it everywhere and run out of magic after about a minute and half into the battle.

It's not the best spell in town but it does make freshly recruited Gobbo Shamans pretty useful.

Vindictive Glare Your basic magic missile type spell, potentially highly damaging if it doesn't whiff but difficult to aim and often only works really well when used point blank or flying, and you can't fly and die instantly in melee, so. Overcast gives more missiles.

You only have two damage options as Gobbo's and this is one of them. I never use it personally, but I guess if you're desperate enough to be locked into close combat with your loving goblin hero, might as well let it rip.

Gork will Fix it

A very cool spell that reduces enemy charge damage and movement speed in an AOE, custom designed to blunt cavalry charges. Lasts 36 seconds, no overcast.

I'm getting a theme with Goblin spells here, and it's that all of them require you to be really on the ball with casting them in the right place at the right time. It is usually not the cav charge you see coming that wrecks you after all, and if you just cast this on enemies at random they can just back off until it wears off. Realistically it's probably best used to slow and catch Cav as they're trying to run away rather than expertly blunting charges right before impact.

Itchy Nuisance

An AoE hex that lasts 29 seconds and reduces enemy attack and weapon damage. (-34 attack -22% damage) No overcast.

Actually a drat solid debuff that's basically always useful. I'd suggest grabbing this first after Sneaky Stabbin to give you basic buff/debuff spam capability, which is 90% of what you'll be doing with Gobbo Shaman's anyways.

Night Shroud

The anti-ranged version of Itchy Nuisance, drops an aoe hex on enemy ranged units to reduce their accuracy and sight range for 32 seconds. Can be overcasted to increase range and aoe.

A pretty unique spell that gives you a bit of relief from pesky archers. Debuffs are definitely your forte with the Little Wauugh. It does cap out at only a -20% penalty though, so it's not like you're totally shutting them down.

Curse of Da Bad Moon

As Vortexes go, Pac-Moon is, I think, well above average. I'm sure the damage is as poo poo as all of them right now but it does decent disruption and curses any unit that comes in contact with it for 22 seconds, reducing their melee attack, armor, and movement speed.

TLDR, Gobbo Shaman pretty good at spamming middling strength aoe debuffs, pretty terrible at everything else.

Orc Shamans

Orc Shamans are hero only at this stage and are a bit sturdier than your average humie wizard. I mean they're still made of glass, but comparatively speaking they're a little stronger. Can be equipped with a boar mount, making them a bit tougher and faster.

Pros: More aggressive in both stats and spell selection, require less babysitting in general.

Cons: Most Damage Spells suck mightily right now, limited selection of buff spells to supplement.

Lore of the Big Waaugh Spells

Power of Da Waaugh

The exact opposite of the Gobbo passive, gives your Shaman faster power recharge instead of draining enemy casters.

Gaze of Mork

More of a fireball type spell than Vindictive Glare, which means it's decent. Overcast gives massively improved range, which is actually pretty useless for this type of solid projectile spell.

Brain Busta

Probably the best damage spell you have with Orc Shaman's presently, it has a decent range and aoe and inflicts reasonable damage+knockback. It's cheap, too! Overcasting greatly increases both the range and aoe of the spell.

Sneaky 'eadbut

Has a sort of teardrop shaped aoe with a minimum range, I find it strangely difficult to aim properly. Does damage+knockback to affected units, Overcasting increases damage.

It's not awful but the targeting is awkward and I'm not sure I fully understand it right, I end up wanting to use it like Wind of Death and I don't think it's quite the same thing.

Fists of Gork

Gives a single allied unit big buffs to melee attack, melee defense, and damage for 21 seconds, no overcast.

It's a pretty strong buff but being single target only and not cheap limits it's use somewhat. Still, it's one of two spells that aren't raw damage so woo, utility!

Ere we Go!

Your other utility spell, just gives straight +58 melee attack to friendlies in an aoe for 35 seconds, no overcast.

That's actually a drat good buff just on raw effect and duration, I don't really care that it only buffs attack, melee attack is huge.

Foot of Gork

Your incredibly disappointing ultimate spell. Looks badass, actually hits such a teeny-tiny area that the AI will casually sidestep it 80% of the time. Damage is also not fantastic given it's high cost and small aoe. Use Brainbusta instead.

TLDR Orc Shamans rely on a mix of largely average damage spells and buffs, making them simple to use but not amazing.

Basically all your Wizard options with Orcs are pretty meh. Not useless by any means, every army should have at least one Shaman for utility and a little extra damage but they're definitely not rocking anyone's world right now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Go... hire one? A t3 barracks lets you hire one I'm pretty sure.

Wait, so you can.

Between the random event that gave me one (first time I'd randomly gotten a hero) and their flavour text describing them as having 'risen through the ranks' I'd been assuming they were event-only.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lone Badger posted:

Wait, so you can.

Between the random event that gave me one (first time I'd randomly gotten a hero) and their flavour text describing them as having 'risen through the ranks' I'd been assuming they were event-only.

No, heroes and lords are hired directly from towns. In great quantity.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kinda disappointed that CA isn't planning on unit abilities, but I totally understand the decision to do so. Hopefully they (or some modder) restores some of the functionality of stuff like Spear Walls or Cavalry Wedges. I've seen people wishing for a visual clue of when your units are "braced" and the like, it'd make sense for your anti-charge units to automatically form up when they stop moving without having to tell them to.

\/Edit\/

Yeah having active abilities would be too much micro, I'm talking about passive behavior. So spearmen would bunch up and visibly brace themselves while waiting around/when they get charged, or cavalry formation would tighten up in the front and spread out in the back when they're about to collide.

And while I'm dreaming, I'm waiting on some mod that makes units keep their basic shape while the first two ranks peel off to engage the enemy. I'm the kinda toddler that wants to play with blocks instead of Play-doh snakes. :downs:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Active unit abilities would just be too much alongside all the plethora of spells and abilities heroes and lords have. As is I think this is the highest micro-ceiling Total War game yet just because of everything there is to manage on them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Sneaky stabbin is actually a really good spell because it boosts AP, something the Orc roster lacks until tier V

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Sneaky stabbin is actually a really good spell because it boosts AP, something the Orc roster lacks until tier V

That is an interesting point, actually.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I can barely keep track of the same active on Manfred and two vampires, let alone on an entire army. I'm too busy cavving and spirit leeching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have Molays spell mod, so I think I'm going to go through that orc shaman post and add my thoughts for his version.

I'm done with Dwarves. I don't have the patience to go around confederating the last few holds after conquering the south. And I usually autoresolve the giant stack battles of the Chaos invasion anyway. Also just sad about Slayers being so weak.
Ungrim owns though, especially since I got an item early on where it gave him a breath fire ability. Dude just murders other lords from level 1 and watching him run into a group of black orcs and making them almost instantly break while breathing fire and screaming owns. I wish he got an ability that was the opposite of Rally though. Also gently caress how far away the axe quest is.
Another note, the quest battle for his crown is the same as one of Dr. Doom's
And on my last turn I was making over 20k a turn.

Thoughts on expansions:
I know in my heart that my favourite faction Ogres will be best as one of the last so they can make a bunch of varied Maneaters using the assets of other factions.
Tomb kings are awesome lore wise because they are just a regular empire, except everyone is a skeleton.

• Locked thread