Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure my wife watches it with me only for Jared jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure my wife watches it with me only for Jared jokes.

same but jian yang

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jared will finally get his apartment back, but Bachman will lose his house and have to move in with him.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

panda clue posted:

same but jian yang

Hello this is your mom you are not my son

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still don't see how Bighead blew through $20m. House payment was prob "only" $18k/mo, moving the pool another $150k and a new Potato cannon should have only been another $1m.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

extravadanza posted:

Hello this is your mom you are not my son

Is your refrigerator running? This is Mike Hunt.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Keyser S0ze posted:

I still don't see how Bighead blew through $20m. House payment was prob "only" $18k/mo, moving the pool another $150k and a new Potato cannon should have only been another $1m.

The business manager set aside 70% for "taxes." So, he really only blew through ~6mil.

edit: I can math.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nexous posted:

The business manager set aside 70% for "taxes." So, he really only blew through ~6mil.

edit: I can math.

Then Big Head will get all but probably 40% of that back once he files. Our little guy will be fine! Or he can sue the broker/dealer the business manager worked for and they'll just pay him off out of their fidelity bond.

You guys probably don't get the joke since it was about taxes and suitability rules with the SEC.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh I thought the advisor only blew the last $3m or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The derails itt have gotten particularly spiteful recently.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The derails itt have gotten particularly spiteful recently.

People complain about Richard being unlikeable but next to most of the real-life IT people itt he's...idk, who's famously likeable? Paul Rudd?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Oh I thought the advisor only blew the last $3m or something.

35% (7 million) was spent on taxes, 7 million was stolen by the business manager, leaving 6.

We know Bighead rented a Palo Alto mansion, filled it with rented toys and antiques, hired an assistant, and moved a swimming pool 6" twice. Bachman spent 1.5 million on the party and the blog, was renting a helicopter, and bought 3 of what I assume is a $10,000 juicer.

So yeah, that sounds about right.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doesn't Bighead still own Code/Rag? Exclusives with "hot new company" Pied Piper ought to earn him at least some of that money back.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I thought this was a good read

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley?mbid=social_facebook

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Very good

quote:

Dotan led me to Raviga’s boardroom. He tried two fake outlets before finding a real one, then plugged in his laptop, opened it on a blond-wood conference table, and launched a PowerPoint presentation he had prepared about the show’s research process. “The first part of the job is making sure we get the specifics right, because our audience won’t tolerate any mistakes,” he said. “Silicon Valley,” a show about computer nerds, has a fan base that is particularly attuned to minutiae, and particularly apt to argue about them on the Internet. If a Post-it, URL, or line of code is legible on the show, it will be screengrabbed and scrutinized. Last year, a few hours after an episode aired, a Reddit user with the handle HeIsMyPossum started a thread called “Why did the writers just obliterate all the good karma they had built up with their core audience?” He made an impassioned argument that a plot point—the accidental deletion of data from Pied Piper’s servers—was implausible. “So the files were being converted live while coming through an FTP? And that affects disk deletion speed?… Come the gently caress on guys.” Rob Fuller, a software engineer and a consultant on the show, logged on to Reddit to defend his work, mostly by displaying his own nerd plumage. “Stuff like this happens,” he wrote. “I think even Amazon had an outage because one of the admins fat fingered a DNS or ACL change at one point.” Another user responded to Fuller: “Thanks for engaging us here, we really appreciate it.” The thread amassed nearly three hundred comments. “Sorry for being a dick,” HeIsMyPossum wrote.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's ironic because nerds who go to great lengths to analyze this show's technical accuracy are totally fine with the unlikely or exaggerated real-life social situations portrayed in the show because they never experience those.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd like to mention that I had never heard of Slack and still got the joke. Thanks to this thread I've downloaded it.

I'd also like to mention the technical arguments in this thread are far superior to many other threads so don't get down on yourselves. Arguing about coding and startups is highly preferable to arguing about duel wielding anime swords in the Game of Thrones thread.

At least the arguments in this thread have a practical application. I never need to know how to duel wield swords or the proper phalanx to storm a castle. Stop calling yourselves nerds when LARPers are running around.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kiimo posted:

I'd like to mention that I had never heard of Slack and still got the joke. Thanks to this thread I've downloaded it.

I'd also like to mention the technical arguments in this thread are far superior to many other threads so don't get down on yourselves. Arguing about coding and startups is highly preferable to arguing about duel wielding anime swords in the Game of Thrones thread.

At least the arguments in this thread have a practical application. I never need to know how to duel wield swords or the proper phalanx to storm a castle. Stop calling yourselves nerds when LARPers are running around.

Yeah this is my thinking as well. I think it's reasonable to talk tech in a tech show's forum. But whatever, sorry you all had to bear learning some new terms and poo poo!! We should talk Swords instead..

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I just picture some of the characters posting when the thread goes down that discussion path. It works. Truth in parody and all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All I learned is that real life IT guys are even more insufferable than a show about lambasting them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

All I learned is that real life IT guys are even more insufferable than a show about lambasting them.

nobodys this insufferable in person because it would require confrontation. thats what slack/irc really is, digital passive agressive notes left above the coffee maker.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha!

PLEASE USE ONLY ONE COFFEE PACKET AND NOT TWO.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

quote:

During one visit to Google’s headquarters, in Mountain View, about six writers sat in a conference room with Astro Teller, the head of GoogleX, who wore a midi ring and kept his long hair in a ponytail. “Most of our research meetings are fun, but this one was uncomfortable,” Kemper told me. GoogleX is the company’s “moonshot factory,” devoted to projects, such as self-driving cars, that are difficult to build but might have monumental impact. Hooli, a multibillion-dollar company on “Silicon Valley,” bears a singular resemblance to Google. (The Google founder Larry Page, in Fortune: “We’d like to have a bigger impact on the world by doing more things.” Hooli’s C.E.O., in season two: “I don’t want to live in a world where someone makes the world a better place better than we do.”) The previous season, Hooli had launched HooliXYZ, its own “moonshot factory,” whose experiments were slapstick absurdities: monkeys who use bionic arms to masturbate; powerful cannons for launching potatoes across a room. “He claimed he hadn’t seen the show, and then he referred many times to specific things that had happened on the show,” Kemper said. “His message was, ‘We don’t do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not.’ ” (Teller could not be reached for comment.)

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh. Even while it was happening, I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

...does he wear them all the time? was he going through a phase? does he use one of those hoverboard things lately?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

quote:

When the scene was finished, Miller walked back to his trailer, where he used a steam inhaler to lubricate his throat.

:allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kiimo posted:

You can't storm a castle with a phalanx, it's too unwieldy; it's a formation much better suited to fending off cavalry (or another phalanx) :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Some people watch SV for the slapstick comedy and nudity, not for the nerd references. Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

Are you talking about the horses? :yikes:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pron on VHS posted:

This thread is loving unreadable for non-nerds

THIS... barely a mention of the actual show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Thanks for posting the article. The amount of ridiculous things they took from real life is staggering and every new detail I learn about the real life silicon valley kind of makes me legit angry.

the escape goat posted:

...does he wear them all the time? was he going through a phase? does he use one of those hoverboard things lately?
How do these guys get by without having a modicum of self awareness?

Rocksicles posted:

THIS... barely a mention of the actual show.
Except in the article about the show that everyone else is discussing while you post about posting? Come on, bro.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The gently caress are all you whiny shits doing here? Jesus christ.

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't Bighead still own Code/Rag? Exclusives with "hot new company" Pied Piper ought to earn him at least some of that money back.

I'm still holding out that that one goon's right and Gavin will pay him millions to retract the article.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

VagueRant posted:

How do these guys get by without having a modicum of self awareness?

Money is a pretty good insulator from reality.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

the talent deficit posted:

... Kemper said. “His message was, ‘We don’t do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not.’ ” (Teller could not be reached for comment.)

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh. Even while it was happening, I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

God gently caress this was funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reading these articles and hearing the tech people talk in this thread are making me realize they are toning everything down to make it more palatable to ordinary viewers for the show. Which is amazing because everyone in the show seems to have their head up their own rear end and is completely useless in normal human interactions...except Jared...who is made fun of constatntly because he is nice and can hold a conversation.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

God gently caress this was funny.

I have a strong urge to bully that man and take his lunch money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's probably what drove him to be the man he is now. Bullying works people! Brings out the best in everybody!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

sticklefifer posted:

It's ironic because nerds who go to great lengths to analyze this show's technical accuracy are totally fine with the unlikely or exaggerated real-life social situations portrayed in the show because they never experience those.

Its ironic, because there is basically zero technical accuracy in the show, but the social side of the show is pretty much spot on.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reading these articles and hearing the tech people talk in this thread are making me realize they are toning everything down to make it more palatable to ordinary viewers for the show. Which is amazing because everyone in the show seems to have their head up their own rear end and is completely useless in normal human interactions...except Jared...who is made fun of constatntly because he is nice and can hold a conversation.

in terms of social interaction, guilfoyle and dinesh would be massive improvements over most of my past coworkers in silicon valley

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

the escape goat posted:

...does he wear them all the time?

Apparently, yes:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130518/ISSUE01/305189963/the-biography-of-googles-x-man posted:

“He's a brilliant technologist,” says David Andre, who met Mr. Teller 20 years ago when both were studying artificial intelligence as undergraduates at Stanford University and Mr. Teller was a rollerblading longhair. “But what he does better than anybody I've ever met is 'dominoing.' Not just logical facts. Everyone can do that. But thinking farther ahead in research and business chess than anyone I've ever seen.”

Electromax
May 6, 2007
drat, just go all the way and get some of those tennis shoes that have the deployable wheels in the soles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Electromax posted:

drat, just go all the way and get some of those tennis shoes that have the deployable wheels in the soles.

Wrong, he has already gone all the way, deployable wheels are a half measure!

• Locked thread