Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
His father is probably racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I would kill to see a dolphin borg.

What about that fucker from Seaquest DSV?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

vyst posted:

What about that fucker from Seaquest DSV?

Darwin was cool.
Seaquest > Voyager.

But then again so is a Zika nativity play.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What was seaquest?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Roylicious posted:

Did First Contact scare the poo poo out of anyone else when they were super young?

Like I had no idea what Star Trek was really other than it wasn't Star Wars and someone took me to see First Contact in the movie theater and I can still remember being scared shitless seeing metal borg poo poo pop out of Picard's face.
no but i cried when he recited his moby dick quote that ended up being completely wrong so

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

What was seaquest?

It was Star Trek under water and so much better.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
But I hate stuff with dolphins.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Darwin was cool.
Seaquest > Voyager.

But then again so is a Zika nativity play.

Wait, what season of SeaQuest?

DSV, Genetically Engineered Retard Janitor and Alien Abduction, or Underwater X-Wings and Michael Ironsides?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Was that the show with the blonde kid who killed himself? I think his character could talk to dolphins or something.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

AugmentedVision posted:

His father is probably racist.

you're not totally wrong

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

I think later Trek is missing a lot of the latent racism and sexism that he likes.

Maybe not totally gone, but not as obvious.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

treiz01 posted:

I loving love computers in Star Trek, so I always pause the episode to read all the text.

Alderaan Spaceport :mmmhmm:

jesus. that's right, ds9 had a Chicago phase. some guy working under obrian said, hey this cardassian poo poo is too hard to read but instead of trying to get LCARS to boot let me show you my classic Mac collection, we can do this in hypercard

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*fucks intern*

I had a revelation about Roddenberry quotes today. They're like Chinese Fortune Cookies so you have to append 'in bed' at the end.

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.
In Bed

The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope that 'Star Trek' has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities.
In Bed

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
In Bed

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Was that the show with the blonde kid who killed himself? I think his character could talk to dolphins or something.

The computer let Darwin the dolphin talk

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The computer let Darwin the dolphin talk

Also a smokin' hot chick who had VR controls for a robo-kitty submarine.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
SeaQuest was p cool

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I routinely binge the first season, but can never get through the others because holy god did that go down the tubes fast.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

criscodisco posted:

Jonathan Brandeis you piece of poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Remember when he did that karate kid movie with Chuck Norris

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sidekicks you piece of poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Sidekicks you piece of poo poo

gently caress you!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

vyst posted:

gently caress you!

Reported

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Winnie from the Wonder Years in that?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Crowsbeak posted:

Wasn't Winnie from the Wonder Years in that?

Danica McKellar you piece of poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There was also an episode with Seth Green where Lucas got a condom because he wanted to bang this chick at a hacker camp that's run by Tuvok.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Anyone grew up with an older brother who was into all this stuff probably had an experience like mine-
There's a new Trek coming out. The ship is far away from Federation space so they have to do whatever it takes to get back!
There's a new Trek coming out! It takes place before the original series so tech like the transporter is new and untrusted!
Got it with SW too- prequels! Young Yoda who fights!

So much disappointment.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

dojokm posted:

I think later Trek is missing a lot of the latent racism and sexism that he likes.

Maybe not totally gone, but not as obvious.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
and that was only the 3rd episode!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sten Freak posted:

Anyone grew up with an older brother who was into all this stuff probably had an experience like mine-
There's a new Trek coming out. The ship is far away from Federation space so they have to do whatever it takes to get back!
There's a new Trek coming out! It takes place before the original series so tech like the transporter is new and untrusted!

So much disappointment.

Well the latter two are my experience. I only got to see the last season of Voyager when it was still on.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Sten Freak posted:

So much disappointment.

As the older brother in this scenario, it was very disappointing indeed

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is SeaQuest the one with Lloyd Bridges

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Nobody's brought up the Animated Series yet. That shits canon you know.

It was weird when they just started bolting Larry Niven poo poo on there.

Oh yeah, uhh there are Kziniti and check out this weird ancient futuristic tech!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is SeaQuest the one with Lloyd Bridges

it had the dude from Jaws

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

True, but the racism is generally more subtle after that.

The latent sexism is pretty much always there I suppose.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Roy Scheider, star of mega blockbuster Blue Thunder.

Am I supposed to say something awful to you now?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

"They're almost human!"

*beams them up in the cargo bay*

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Coffee nebula alert!!! All hands to productive stations!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Sphinxster posted:

It was weird when they just started bolting Larry Niven poo poo on there.

Oh yeah, uhh there are Kziniti and check out this weird ancient futuristic tech!

I heard they were going to bring them on to the planned fifth season of Enterprise.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
The latest episode of Voyager here was the one with the Andy Dick holodoctor and I don't care what happened in that episode because it's Voyager because that gently caress killed television's Troy McClure! That gently caress!

Oh wait, that's right, it had the Prometheus, the KUNG-FU ACTION GRIP gimmick spaceship. That was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DID SOMEONE SAY ANDY DICK???

quote:

Last week Jon Lovitz beat the crap out of Andy Dick. It all happened at the legendary Laugh Factory, where the owner, Jamie Masada witnessed the whole thing. He told press, "Jon picked Andy up by the head and smashed him into the bar four or five times, and blood started pouring out of his nose."

The feud has been going on ever since beloved comedian Phil Hartman was killed by his flipped-out wife. Lovitz maintains that it was Dick that set the whole thing into motion. "Andy was doing cocaine, and he gave Brynn some after she had been sober for 10 years. Phil was furious about it - and then five months later he's dead," Jon told press.

Then, last year, there was a strange exchange between Dick and Lovitz. While dining out with friends, Lovitz says Dick came to his table and started trouble. “He looked at me and said, 'I put the "Phil Hartman hex" on you - you're the next one to die.' I said, 'What did you say?' and he repeated it. I wanted to punch his face in, but I don't hit women."

Then last week, the two encountered each other again. And Jon was looking for an apology from Dick. Instead he got more lip. When Lovitz asked Dick to say he was sorry, Andy replied with “do you want to be in my movie?” That was the last straw. “I grabbed him by the shirt and leaned him over and said, 'I don't want to be in your movie! I don't want to be in your life!' I pushed him against the rail. Then I pushed him again really hard. A security guard broke it up. I'm not proud of it . . . but he's a disgusting human being."

Make Jon Lovitz the new captain.