Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

This shot was so good they literally hold it for ten minutes

Just a ball spinning.

Star Citizen: Just a ball spinning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

orcinus posted:

They've mixed up the throttles and sticks from two different Saitek products.
This is the company handling millions of dolares estadounidenses.

I think the rear throttle is also facing the wrong direction.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

This is an awesome first-blush analysis. I can't wait for more.

Thank you for sharing this!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

I know people are having fun with the tracer aspects but it must be said that Jim Martin is not Ryan Archer. Martin may throw together mock-up comps for jpeg sales but he actually knows how to build ships, starting with a blank piece of paper and a pencil all the way through the 3d build out.

Archer seemed entirely dependent on other people's work + cut/paste/photoshop filters, so he'd fit the textbook definition of a Hack.

Martin is a multi-talented artists who appears to sometimes hack together stuff for marketing purposes. It might be that he's paid for the 3d assets but does the photoshop comp stuff just to help CIG out.

If he's using unlicensed photography, bad on him. But slap on the wrist bad. He can still call himself an artist, and I'm not sure that's as easily said for Archer.

That is all.

Sorry, no.
Enough of this "i can vouch for this person, they seem nice to me" poo poo.

Either you judge people by their actions or don't.
There's no "this person gets a foot in the balls, but this one doesn't because i think they're nice and do nice things".

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

:perfect:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nicholas posted:

zoom:

enhance:

This proves nothing. I have seen many hughmons sit in this manner with one branch laying upon the other.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

orcinus posted:

Sorry, no.
Enough of this "i can vouch for this person, they seem nice to me" poo poo.

Either you judge people by their actions or don't.
There's no "this person gets a foot in the balls, but this one doesn't because i think they're nice and do nice things".

I'm not vouching for him because I don't know him, Orcinus, and I'm not excusing it because I don't approve of it. Read my post again and see what I did and didn't say.

In your haste to reply, you seemed to have missed the point at least thrice! :p

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Patch T is late, I feel grief.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
how's everything going?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

I think the rear throttle is also facing the wrong direction.

Yup. That's the rear (user-facing) side of the X65F throttle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

orcinus posted:

It's not the high-g stress with the airplanes.
Or, rather, not just the g-stress.

Low-g conditions actually kill the airflow over the control surfaces, making them ineffective at what they're supposed to do - namely, control the aircraft's motion.
This then results in a cascade of fuckups - low-g->loss of control->panic->overcorection->more low-g->more panic...

Speaking of which, rotary wing aircraft of the vietnam era (Bell UH-1 most notably) weren't really constructed to withstand nearly *anything* lower than a G, much less negative Gs. This resulted in a series of crashes for which the cause was initially a mystery, only tied together by the fact it always happened during low-altitude flight. It wasn't after someone took the time to analyze the data (and enough data was accumulated) that it was realized the cause was flying over obstacles (hills) and then descending back to altitude after them.

Interesting info, I loving love helicopters. I had a UH-1 and an Apache hung from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line that I painstakingly yet shittily assembled when I was like 9, and I did an enormous paper and presentation on Igor Sikorsky when I was in fifth grade. I took a couple fixed wing lessons when I was a teen but didn't have the dough to pursue it seriously. Maybe I should think about trying to get a rotary wing license. I got to spend a ton of time in helicopters working in Alaska, mostly AS350s but sometimes JetRangers. I had some pretty amazing/fun rides.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

I'm not vouching for him because I don't know him, Orcinus, and I'm not excusing it because I don't approve of it. Read my post again and see what I did and didn't say.

In your haste to reply, you seemed to have missed the point at least thrice! :p

You've had that trend of excusing people you deem "industry names" or "nice" going for a while now.
You're not excusing *it*, you're excusing *him*, while making a disclaimer to the tune of "yes, he did a bad thing, but...".

That's called a spin.
Or would've been, had there been an ulterior motive.

I'm completely sure you're not doing it for nefarious purposes or because you like them or know them, but you have a habit of doing it nonetheless.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
That said (not that it's relevant), photobashing *is* a legitimate (if possibly legally gray) concept-art technique, as multiple people here said.
What's not legit is using that art for marketing or commercial purposes, rather than as simple in-house reference - again as multiple people stated.

The fact that the marketing or management does that, however, doesn't somehow magically exonerate the artists that did it.
The fact they've used other people's art illegitimately, and modified it without permission, AT WORK (so not for personal use) remains.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
everything seems to be on-course.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Gerbil_Pen posted:

everything seems to be on-course.

It's been a good week for star citizen. Patch 2.4q is rock solid at 13 fps. And goons are finally appreciating CIG's art.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'm positive there is going to be a lot more examples of copyright infringement in their concept art and other releases over the years, it's just going to be a question of going through the poo poo and finding it.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbullshit/comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d43334u

Hook, line and sinker.

Shitizens are like these old-timey music boxes. Once you know how to wind them up they play you the most wondrous melodies.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Oh no, not our private little forum! What are we gonna do now?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I'm making 100 more sock puppet accounts to help with the cause. No way will downvoting cultists control my narrative!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ezekeel posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbullshit/comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d43334u

Hook, line and sinker.

Shitizens are like these old-timey music boxes. Once you know how to wind them up they play you the most wondrous melodies.

D'awww. :allears:

They're so pwecious. :3:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ezekeel posted:

Hook, line and sinker.

Holy loving lol they keep falling for this.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
lowtax has forsaken us

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ezekeel posted:

Hook, line and sinker.

YES, WE TOTALLY SENT OUT A 'CALL TO ARMS' OVER A REDDIT POST

I'M BEING 110% SERIOUS :wink:

Hey reddit, archive this

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Ezekeel posted:

Hook, line and sinker.

Oh poo poo. Everyone stop talking about what a big piece of poo poo Star Citizen is.

Hi reddit, eat a big bleedy aids dick! :)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TTerrible posted:

Holy loving lol they keep falling for this.

If they can't tell my collective of 180 accounts apart from real users, the joke is on them. Reddit is shockingly easy to compromise.

Here is my plan for the next two weeks: You need a platinum account to read this message

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm making 100 more sock puppet accounts to help with the cause. No way will downvoting cultists control my narrative!

They don't know that we actually have 50+ reddit accounts each and in reality reddit is just 85% SA posters all maintaining kayfabe.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hi reddit :woof:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hiya reddit, archive this.

Seriously, because everyone loves Beet's dog.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Screw all that, they're talking about one-click (er.. sorry, two-click) Maya importers/exporters as if they were the second coming...

An exporter that apparently takes raw capture data and cleans it and rigs it and exports it to game engine in two clicks.

my loving aaaaarse

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

zoom:

enhance:

This is how I feel having spent the last couple of days catching up with a week's worth of posts.

And it just keeps coming.

:vince:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 10, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ezekeel posted:

Hook, line and sinker.

We've been having fun for over 4 thousand pages and 7 million views. I'm not sure why you're expecting us to stop now, Reddit poster.

Hint: Nothing you post on reddit will make this game get finished. Everything we post here gets a reaction from CIG, usually the same day most of the time in under an hour. We have more power over this game than you do.

Total investment: $0

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

orcinus posted:

Star Citizen: Just a ball spinning

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

PST posted:

They don't know that we actually have 50+ reddit accounts each and in reality reddit is just 85% SA posters all maintaining kayfabe.

You might know me better by my undercover alias Cymelion. It takes a heavy toll to post that badly but I manage somehow.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

The transcript between Sean Tracy and Brian Chambers above is a wall of text, it isn't funny, nobody fumbles over their words or anything.

But I hope people read it, and ask themselves if this sounds like a project that is releasing this year, or next year, or the year after that.

There are STILL questions around how the cinematics will be implemented into the game
There are STILL questions around how the AI will handle cinematics
They are talking about building a SOLID FOUNDATION
They are talking about the timezones affecting the ability to come up with DESIGN PLANS

Some of us do. Thank you and cheers for being able to communicate intelligibly afterwards.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Raskolnikov posted:

If they can't tell my collective of 180 accounts apart from real users, the joke is on them. Reddit is shockingly easy to compromise.

Here is my plan for the next two weeks: You need a platinum account to read this message

Shilling for that dastardly devil Lowtax? For shame, Citizen. For shame.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder what proportion of the cultists left are legit conspiracy theorists. How else can you explain this?

Danakir fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 10, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

TTerrible posted:

We've been having fun for over 4 thousand pages and 7 million views. I'm not sure why you're expecting us to stop now, Reddit poster.

Hint: Nothing you post on reddit will make this game get finished. Everything we post here gets a reaction from CIG, usually the same day most of the time in under an hour. We have more power over this game than you do.

Total investment: :10bux:

Fixed for accuracy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Hiya reddit, archive this.

Seriously, because everyone loves Beet's dog.

I'm just gonna keep shitposting this and the little version until someone buys the :kayak: smilie haha

Hey reddit, archive this:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fixed for accuracy.

Hey, I'm saying I've invested $0 in Star Citizen but have more control over it than someone with an Idris.

I've put about $50 into these dead gay forums over the past decade and I'm glad of it. This thread is but a small part of the joy I have derived from goons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Solomonic posted:

You might know me better by my undercover alias Cymelion. It takes a heavy toll to post that badly but I manage somehow.

You are an inspiration to us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I'd like to put forward a motion to elect Kayak as this thread's official mascot. On account of being BDCSE. (Best drat Canine Simulator Ever)

• Locked thread