Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Late to the TeX chat, but if you don't want to deal with the hassle of setting up TeX on your machine, you can always play around with an online editor. I highly recommend ShareLaTeX. Used it for a bunch of papers, loved it enough that I only use TeXShop when my internet connection is janky/ShareLaTeX is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Safari Technical Preview has begun bugging out on me reading these forums (anybody else?) so I'm back to regular-rear end Safari until the next patch.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My retina macbook pro fell a few feet to the ground a few days ago and now there are weird lines on the screen. Whats the going rate for a screen replacement at the Apple store? Am I better off using a third party repair vendor or is the Fruit Stand definitely the way to go?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Every Mac I've used Migration Assistant to restore to refuses to shut down OS X completely. We aren't even talking about one roaming user account I can't let go of that has some skeleton in the closet- separate users on separate hardware, last few versions of OS X. Am I bonkers? Anything I can do to get Macs to finally finish their pending tasks (no apps remaining open) and shut down for good consistently?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

arbybaconator posted:

My retina macbook pro fell a few feet to the ground a few days ago and now there are weird lines on the screen. Whats the going rate for a screen replacement at the Apple store? Am I better off using a third party repair vendor or is the Fruit Stand definitely the way to go?
Are the lines a problem with the LCD, or did the coating get messed up from coming into contact with the keyboard keys? Sometimes Apple deals with the coating problems for free. The Retina displays are expensive, and I'd budget at least $500 for a replacement no matter who you go with.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

Safari Technical Preview has begun bugging out on me reading these forums (anybody else?) so I'm back to regular-rear end Safari until the next patch.

Same, and same.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Vulture Culture posted:

Are the lines a problem with the LCD, or did the coating get messed up from coming into contact with the keyboard keys? Sometimes Apple deals with the coating problems for free. The Retina displays are expensive, and I'd budget at least $500 for a replacement no matter who you go with.

It's the LCD. A portion of the screen doesn't even work anymore. I wonder what the turnaround time is? If they just have the displays in stock and they can do the swap in a day or less that would be awesome.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Really depends on the location and model. They keep a lot of stuff in stock, but if they have to order in, they have to order in, and it takes a few days. If you have your model number handy (not your serial number, I doubt that's necessary), then call them up and ask if they have a display in stock. You might also call any AASPs in your area but they are less likely to have stock and there will be a slight price premium.

You can also order the part yourself and attempt the repair yourself to save some cash, but... that won't be quick and if you've never worked inside a laptop before, you might gently caress it up!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
My no-external but somehow internally damaged 15" 2012 RMBP screen/? was replaced for $310 through their flat rate repair service. I think the screen is a single module and I guess it's not like 2012's are heavily in demand nor did they use the screen for more revisions.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

On the LaTeX chat, I realize people never like to modify their functional TeX workflows but MacTeX-2016 distribution is out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

On the LaTeX chat, I realize people never like to modify their functional TeX workflows but MacTeX-2016 distribution is out.

Guess that means if I start the download now, I'll have it in a few days... or did they change their distribution site?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flavor posted:

Guess that means if I start the download now, I'll have it in a few days... or did they change their distribution site?
It was rather slow when I pulled it down today, so I assume they're getting hammered. I always grab BasicTex anyway, though.

http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

I end up only needing to grab four more packages on top what BasicTeX offers to typeset the documents I work in, so I'd rather go with the leaner initial installation. The download is only 110MB compared to the ~3GB for the typical MacTeX download.

edit: updated the number of packages -- thought it was two but it is not!

edit 2: also you could try the torrent if you want the big download. I just grabbed the big package at ~50MB/s for funsies.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you, it was actually quite fast this time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It seems like every time I format a drive in exFat in OS X, it doesn't work in Windows. If I format it in Windows, it works in both OSes. What's up with that?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It seems like every time I format a drive in exFat in OS X, it doesn't work in Windows. If I format it in Windows, it works in both OSes. What's up with that?

GUID vs. MBR? Other than that, no idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The SSD in my MBP died today. Fortunately most of my media (music, photos, etc) are on a secondary HDD and I have Time Machine backups. Unfortunately my Time Machine backups aren't working. Here's the setup:

Mac Mini and MacBook Pro backing up to an external HDD connected to an Airport Extreme via wi-fi. When I plug the HDD directly into my MBP (with a brand new SSD) it shows Time Machine categories for both the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro. However, when I select the MBP there are no backups to restore from. If I open the drive in Finder, there is a 1tb Time Machine file for the MBP. So the data's there, but it's not recognizing it exists.

I've been in a couple of chats with Apple already, but they keep disconnecting at every opportunity. I think they're playing hot potato with me; each rep trying to not be the one who tells me I've lost all my data.

Lucky me, I think the drive is just corrupt. Fsck tells me there are errors and it won't mount in an external case, but Data Rescue 4 can navigate the drive and it's letting me pull data from it. Hopefully everything I need is there. I still want my Time Machine backups to work though. I was running El Capt previously and I've restored to El Capt (although it's was backed up in 10.11.3 and I'm now using 10.11.5). Does anyone have any idea why it's not showing up when I try to restore?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much confirmation that the name change is happening. RIP OSX. macOS sounds fine.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Mu Zeta posted:

macOS sounds fine.

Well it ought to considering it's basically the same name the OS had 30 years ago when it first came out. :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cyne posted:

Well it ought to considering it's basically the same name the OS had 30 years ago when it first came out. :v:

Wasn't it just called "System" or "System Software" until 7.5?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got this thing that happens occasionally after I've woken my MBP up - when I click on the status bar of an app, like to move it or bring it into focus, the whole app disappears. It still shows as open in the dock, and sometimes I can click "show all windows" in the dock icon and get it back (Outlook is good for this), but most of the time it's just gone and it's never coming back until I restart. Chrome does this fun thing where the only thing that's visible on the screen is the title of whatever page was last in focus. It's absolutely annoying as poo poo, anybody had it happen before?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GutBomb posted:

Wasn't it just called "System" or "System Software" until 7.5?

Almost. My first "MacOS" splash screen with smiley Finder face was system 7.5.1, but they didn't put Mac OS on the boxes until System 7.6.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kefkafloyd posted:

Almost. My first "MacOS" splash screen with smiley Finder face was system 7.5.1, but they didn't put Mac OS on the boxes until System 7.6.
And it's worth noting that this change really only happened because Apple needed a name they could trademark once the clone market came along.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Question: What is Time Machine's backup strategy? Is it Weekly + daily and hourly diffs or Main + Unlimited Incrementals or...?

I ask because I'm looking to update my three year old external drive that I use for TM and trying to extrapolate how much space I need. Right now, it is holding 17 months of backups on a system that runs at about 400GB of storage and it's using 1.9TB of 2.1TB.

Theoretically, I need to maintain about 24 months of backups for reasons that don't matter. Would 3TB do it or should I plan on having more like a 4/5TB drive for overhead in case I max out the 1TB system drive?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

Question: What is Time Machine's backup strategy? Is it Weekly + daily and hourly diffs or Main + Unlimited Incrementals or...?

I ask because I'm looking to update my three year old external drive that I use for TM and trying to extrapolate how much space I need. Right now, it is holding 17 months of backups on a system that runs at about 400GB of storage and it's using 1.9TB of 2.1TB.

Theoretically, I need to maintain about 24 months of backups for reasons that don't matter. Would 3TB do it or should I plan on having more like a 4/5TB drive for overhead in case I max out the 1TB system drive?

Anecdotally, I have a 128gb MBA with a 500gb Time Machine and I seem to have complete backups going back to November 2014, which I think is when I started using TM? If there are specific files that have this specific backup requirement, it might be easier or more reliable to use AWS or Crashplan or some other solution that gives you a bit more granular control. TM strikes me as the backup solution for the widest swath of the market who just need something in case they spill a coffee on their computer or accidentally delete their wedding photos or something. It's a bit of a black box otherwise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use this: http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Set it to back up 3am, every day. I don't need hourly backups. If my laptop catches on fire, being able to roll back to 'last night' is pretty good. The default strategy is pretty aggressive IMO.

edit: And yeah if you don't back up big media like 8gb MKVs or whatever (I exclude those and only backup photos and music), it's space-efficient since it's just deltas. I was able to find a file from like 1.5yrs ago no problem, not at my machine now to see how far full backups go though on a 2TB Time Capsule, but it's not full, so I assume since I started using it. And I have a 500GB system drive.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 9, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just a general backup suggestion here, check your backups now and then. I don't know if it can still happen, but there was a TM bug a while back where a bunch of stuff could get added to the exclusions list without notice, and without showing up in the prefpane. I'd guess it was something to do with temporary exclusions (which apps can request) getting stuck or something.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

Anecdotally, I have a 128gb MBA with a 500gb Time Machine and I seem to have complete backups going back to November 2014, which I think is when I started using TM? If there are specific files that have this specific backup requirement, it might be easier or more reliable to use AWS or Crashplan or some other solution that gives you a bit more granular control. TM strikes me as the backup solution for the widest swath of the market who just need something in case they spill a coffee on their computer or accidentally delete their wedding photos or something. It's a bit of a black box otherwise.

I was asking about the form of those backups.

For instance, there is a huge space difference between: Full backup Monthly with Weekly Differentials plus Full Daily Backups with the Last Day being Hourly Incrementals vs One Full Backup and everything else being Incremental.

japtor posted:

Just a general backup suggestion here, check your backups now and then. I don't know if it can still happen, but there was a TM bug a while back where a bunch of stuff could get added to the exclusions list without notice, and without showing up in the prefpane. I'd guess it was something to do with temporary exclusions (which apps can request) getting stuck or something.

I backup my Time Machine drive to a NAS, which also syncs the backup files to AWS. If you don't back up, even your back ups, you are begging for trouble. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Arsten posted:

I was asking about the form of those backups.

For instance, there is a huge space difference between: Full backup Monthly with Weekly Differentials plus Full Daily Backups with the Last Day being Hourly Incrementals vs One Full Backup and everything else being Incremental.

They're all incremental. If you dive into the backups folder each timestamped backup looks like a complete mirror of your hard drive at that point, but all the unchanged files are symlinks to the previous backup. Once the drive fills up, the oldest backups are pruned (and the required "real" files moved to the next oldest backup) until there's enough space to backup the new deltas.

If you need to keep 24 months of backups it's entirely down to how much churn you generate, not the total size of the disk you intend to back up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arsten posted:

I backup my Time Machine drive to a NAS, which also syncs the backup files to AWS.

uhh, I'm not sure if this is a good idea due to the symlinks and craziness involved with TM backups. Does this really work?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Froist posted:

They're all incremental. If you dive into the backups folder each timestamped backup looks like a complete mirror of your hard drive at that point, but all the unchanged files are symlinks to the previous backup. Once the drive fills up, the oldest backups are pruned (and the required "real" files moved to the next oldest backup) until there's enough space to backup the new deltas.

If you need to keep 24 months of backups it's entirely down to how much churn you generate, not the total size of the disk you intend to back up.

Awesome! Thanks!

Last Chance posted:

uhh, I'm not sure if this is a good idea due to the symlinks and craziness involved with TM backups. Does this really work?

Disk images with change deltas are what get stored on the NAS. MacOS or Windows could create a recursive folder structure and the backups don't care in the least.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I've run into what seems (from some reading) a common, and frustrating, problem with Mail.app.

Our company has implemented a new corporate identity, which includes using a new (not obnoxious) font in our email comms. Most of the company uses Windows machines while I'm one of maybe four people who use Mac OS. I also refuse to use Outlook because it's bad and terrible.

I've set the default font in Mail.app to the new one stipulated by the guidelines, but this is only in effect when I compose a mail. Since Mail.app doesn't seem to tag the text properly (using Richtext, not plaintext), other mail clients see my mail as unformatted and display them in Times New Roman. I was oblivious to this issue until one of the more obnoxious people in the company shouted "YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED YOUR FONT!!!" across the office, at me.

Has anybody else had to deal with this, and found a workaround or fix that isn't a pain in the rear end or third-party mail client?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your branding people should waste less time in trying to dictate how emails will look when people receive them.

Send all mails to the person who complained as an inline image in the correct style, with heavy JPEG artifacting.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Possible fix: Get one of your corporate clients to complain about your people using an obnoxious nonstandard font in emails.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Froist posted:

Small quibble. They're not symlinks, they're hard links. Every one of them is the "real" file; they all just happen to point to the same data on disk (which isn't "deleted" until the number of hard links == 0). Otherwise, copying a file out of your Time Machine backup would net you a copy of a symlink rather than the actual file.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Roadie posted:

Possible fix: Get one of your corporate clients to complain about your people using an obnoxious nonstandard font in emails.

If it's really nonstandard then anyone receiving the email without having the font on their machine wouldn't be seeing the new font anyway I think

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Choadmaster posted:

Small quibble. They're not symlinks, they're hard links. Every one of them is the "real" file; they all just happen to point to the same data on disk (which isn't "deleted" until the number of hard links == 0). Otherwise, copying a file out of your Time Machine backup would net you a copy of a symlink rather than the actual file.

Not only does it use hard links, Apple added support for making hard links to directories just for Time Machine. In traditional UNIX systems you can only hard link files.

This is a HFS+ only feature, and is one of the reasons Time Machine can only write backups to HFS+ disks. My guess is this is also why when you back up over a network (eg to a Time Capsule) it stores backups in a HFS+ formatted disk image - AFP and other network file systems probably can't natively handle directory hard links, so you need a locally mounted HFS+ FS for it to work.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Not only does it use hard links, Apple added support for making hard links to directories just for Time Machine. In traditional UNIX systems you can only hard link files.

This is a HFS+ only feature, and is one of the reasons Time Machine can only write backups to HFS+ disks. My guess is this is also why when you back up over a network (eg to a Time Capsule) it stores backups in a HFS+ formatted disk image - AFP and other network file systems probably can't natively handle directory hard links, so you need a locally mounted HFS+ FS for it to work.

So, could I make an HFS+ disk image on my NAS and mount it on MacOS and have it store the time machine backups there? I would love to be able to ditch the local drive (as I do with Windows using the same HD-Image-On-NAS-for-Backups method I just asked about) and go purely to the NAS which backs itself up offsite.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

So, could I make an HFS+ disk image on my NAS and mount it on MacOS and have it store the time machine backups there? I would love to be able to ditch the local drive (as I do with Windows using the same HD-Image-On-NAS-for-Backups method I just asked about) and go purely to the NAS which backs itself up offsite.

I just turn on the "TimeMachine" switch on mine (WD MyCloud X2) and assign a share to it. TimeMachine creates a sparse bundle for each machine on the same share. I haven't had an issue backing up multiple machines or restoring data.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I just turn on the "TimeMachine" switch on mine (WD MyCloud X2) and assign a share to it. TimeMachine creates a sparse bundle for each machine on the same share. I haven't had an issue backing up multiple machines or restoring data.

Sadly, my NAS doesn't have a TimeMachine option.... It would do almost everything else if I hadn't disabled most of it, though. Does the MyCloud series also backup to AWS(Edit: or elsewhere) by itself, or would that have to be handled by a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That I don't think it does. You'd probably need to mount the share and back it up to AWS that way.

I'm not in the home right or I'd check.