Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
CIG will go down as the biggest clusterfuck in gaming history if it doesnt ill permaban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nation posted:

CIG will go down as the biggest clusterfuck in gaming history if it doesnt ill permaban

the game will release and manage to get a 60 on metacritic. Whales will argue that metacritic scores don't matter while sending death threats to the reviewers. there will be some "What went wrong?" articles that are really soft ball and nothing will really happen.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guess who hasn't been back to her Echo Bazaar thread since she popped into the forum just to shill for Star Citizen?

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm indifferent. Plus, I can't really comment on any of that.

That reminds me, I miss Octo "I don't care about worker exploitation as long as I get a video game" pode

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

The last thing a box of cocaine-powdered donuts sees

FTFY.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the game will release and manage to get a 60 on metacritic. Whales will argue that metacritic scores don't matter while sending death threats to the reviewers. there will be some "What went wrong?" articles that are really soft ball and nothing will really happen.

If SQ42 does indeed take until Q4 2017 things will be quite interesting this time next year. Given their current cash flow, they are really going to be in a world of hurt when you are eating through 2-3 million a month in reserves.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

lol!

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Also citizens literally no one in this office thinks sq42 is coming out 2016 (or early 2017). Literally no one. People are actually a little afraid now of the backlash affecting their careers. Ive even started logging all the poo poo i do for the game to cma.

Theyre working on some trailers and some vids for the cons. I saw a bit of one. Actually looks pretty sweet if you know jackshit about SC. No gameplay

Unless foundry is hiding it from all the other studios (they arent), what you see in the PU flight model and FPS wise is the StAte of the Game

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Guess who hasn't been back to her Echo Bazaar thread since she popped into the forum just to shill for Star Citizen?

waiting for the cheque to clear. If it does they will be back.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Midnight Voyager posted:

She's been too busy "acting" to post on the internet.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

If SQ42 does indeed take until Q4 2017 things will be quite interesting this time next year. Given their current cash flow, they are really going to be in a world of hurt when you are eating through 2-3 million a month in reserves.

Which financial documents have you seen to give you such confidence in your statements?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Levantine posted:

I, for one, am glad we have Star Citizen to save us from Big Publisher games and their constant bugs, micro-transactions and long delays by giving us hilariously constant bugs, macro-transactions, and infinite delays.

They just said they would do what the big publishers do better, not that you would like it. You need to refactor your expectations.

Also I'm glad that we are all part of some kind of intricate, elaborate and well planned conspiracy to make Star Citizen look like poo poo at all levels because the only other explanation is that Star Citizen is poo poo at all levels.

Our greatest ability is [platinumaccess[ to psychically possess members of CIG and make them not work, steal art, waste time and say retarded poo poo with our astral projecting. LOD is the Key. Hail the Old Gods. kltrklf fffftt kkfffllll[/platinumaccess]

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Which financial documents have you seen to give you such confidence in your statements?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

ManofManyAliases posted:

Common senss. You and i both know they barely cover payroll. Luckily they do have a warchest.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I agree.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I admit, it was pure conjecture. Just like the other 96% of the game that remains to be developed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Outwardly: dumbly, I float about, a thing that could never have been known as human, a thing whose shape is so alien a travesty that humanity becomes more obscene for the vague resemblance.

Inwardly: Alone. Here. Living over the giant, far from the station, in the belly of CIG, whom we funded because our time was badly spent and we must have believed consciously that CRoberts could do it better. At least the leavers are safe at last.

CIG will be all the madder for that. It makes me a little happier. And yet ... CIG has won, simply ... it has taken its revenge ...

I have no mouth. And I must scream.

I have no arms. And I must wank.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Samizdata posted:

I have no arms. And I must wank.

Geesus dude, even the Stimperor isn't that cruel.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing - just here to chill; shoot the breeze.

They fired you for that one, huh? And you still signed the NDA? That was pretty daft, even for someone who doesn't understand even basic law.

ManofManyAliases posted:

True enough. He's low-balling the costs based on what competently run studios of similar size have to pay. CIG — and in particular the executives at the top — will not be nearly as disciplined as that, especially given the structure of the companies involved.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:siren:BREAKING NEWS!:siren:

The Final scene of Squadron 42 leaked! You can even see Sandi, and I'm pretty sure that's Andy Serkis hanging upside down.

Watch it here before the inevitable takedown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

:siren:BREAKING NEWS!:siren:

The Final scene of Squadron 42 leaked! You can even see Sandi, and I'm pretty sure that's Andy Serkis hanging upside down.

Watch it here before the inevitable takedown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0

Good to see that they managed to improve the qualify of their animations at least.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SurfaceDetail posted:

People are actually a little afraid now of the backlash affecting their careers. Ive even started logging all the poo poo i do for the game to cma.

I've read in a few places that CIG might or is already starting to be a black mark on resumes. When Lionheart collapsed other companies were setting up shop in the local pub to lay out opportunities and job openings as the employees there were highly regarded because of the company's history. I'm not sure Roberts is going to cause the same thing, and a novice company that doesn't release anything before collapsing, or releases something that's universally panned isn't going to be a big gold star of products shipped.

Also absolutely log everything for your tell-all after the fact!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

PST posted:

I've read in a few places that CIG might or is already starting to be a black mark on resumes. When Lionheart collapsed other companies were setting up shop in the local pub to lay out opportunities and job openings as the employees there were highly regarded because of the company's history. I'm not sure Roberts is going to cause the same thing, and a novice company that doesn't release anything before collapsing, or releases something that's universally panned isn't going to be a big gold star of products shipped.

Also absolutely log everything for your tell-all after the fact!

Not releasing anything would be much better. That could at least be blamed more on the management rather than "Random Grunt #40."

However once Wing Commander: The Movie 2 releases and everyone loving hates it then your resume will say "You see that blank eyed actress terribly reading terrible dialogue in an ouroboros of poo poo? I helped animate those scenes that are worse than "Final Fantasy Spirits Within."

Once there is a lovely, awful product out there it isn't going to matter if you are a talented person that tried to make Chris' Roberts steaming dog turd look better and honestly tried your best / did fantastic work with what you were given. You are still saying "I helped make THAT" and THAT is now something that can be judged and reflect back on to you.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

1500 posted:

Picked up Overwatch, really fun game, although I have not played a PVP FPS for like 5+ years so boy do i suck.

There are characters that don't require aiming, seriously. Winston's lightning rifle damages a cone in front of him and he's a hoot to play. Symmetra seems weird at first but her primary fire is like a TF2 medic beam that deals damage and ramps up the longer you hit the same person, plus she provides a ton of utility to her team. She can place up to 6 tiny, concealable turrets that damage and slow enemies (good for denying flank routes, distracting people while you and your team kill them or as an early warning system) and charging up her right click lets you spam slow moving dangerous balls of energy that pass through shields so you can break up formations, stationary defense and zone people. Her ultimate is a teleporter, highest value at last point on Attack, or the first point on D.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hey now. FF:tSW has excellent animation for its time. It was just the entire movie that was bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

quote:

"I have an extra distorted hand growing out the side of my right hand, and it stays until suicide"

...Humility?

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Tippis posted:

Hey now. FF:tSW has excellent animation for its time. It was just the entire movie that was bad.

Yeah, even The Spirits Within doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Star Citizen.

(Also Overwatch owns, everyone go get it)

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Cu Chulainn posted:

Yeah, even The Spirits Within doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Star Citizen.

The pricing model is sweet too. You buy the game, you can buy cosmetic lootboxes (that you earn ingame), and all future game modes/ characters are free.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cu Chulainn posted:

So how many sentences were you planning to use :colbert:

SurfaceDetail posted:

The pricing model is sweet too. You buy the game, you can buy cosmetic lootboxes (that you earn ingame), and all future game modes/ characters are free.

Yeah but does it have drop in/drop out co-op and modable private servers :smuggo:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

Also citizens literally no one in this office thinks sq42 is coming out 2016 (or early 2017). Literally no one. People are actually a little afraid now of the backlash affecting their careers. Ive even started logging all the poo poo i do for the game to cma.

I hate to break it to you, but it is probably too late. Hints appeared months ago that one firm rejected CIG applicants out of hand.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Didn't they let their Japanese staff do the animations while the Americans handled the script?

That's like letting Chris Roberts do the script, while leaving the animations to Chris Roberts

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The only way to enjoy Limbo of the Lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPe1GqeeDr4

also, reddit is terrible today.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sperglord posted:

I hate to break it to you, but it is probably too late. Hints appeared months ago that one firm rejected CIG applicants out of hand.

poo poo sucks for them. Im outta here in 3 weeks with another gig.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11cp0zJuBDU

(it's actually not nsfw)

don't watch

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Dunno about him but I have seen certified copies of their loans, payroll, taxes, and ortwin's secret bank account and they are completely hosed.

I would love to show you proof but unfortunately I can't at the moment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Don't tell me what to do. :colbert:

Why is everyone floating a foot off the ground?

I agree, though: don't watch

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SurfaceDetail posted:

Only 17 more refactors to go

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SurfaceDetail posted:

Congratulations on being a Leaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

PST posted:

Only 17 more refactors to go

Having all these offices on different continents doomed this project. Its impossible to keep everyone on the same page and when i go home i wonder if all my shits gonna be hosed up when i come in the next day. The answer is yes.

If it was a normal office theyd come talk to me before we continued but when you are in england or germany you have to just work and hope its ok. This goes both ways

• Locked thread