Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So how many sentences were you planning to use :colbert:

At least two weeks worth of sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

G0RF posted:

As for me? I think I'll just :eonwe: and :sandance: for the :pgabz: of it.
Fair enough dude. I don't think Tracy has been plotting nefariously from the beginning, but at best he's incompetent and has found himself in a lovely situation and at some point made the conscious decision to go along with Chris' bullshit.

I enjoy your posts in the thread and didn't mean to come off as accusatory or aggressive or whatever. It's a recurring theme in the thread that Sean Tracy is a great guy with an amazing technical mind and man, if only he had more control over the project! Not that that is how you characterized him, you were far more measured. It just irks me when senior dipshits in this farce get pats on the back because Roberts is so rampantly incompetent that they look normal or even impressive purely by comparison.

As for ringing bells I was already feeling like I'd probably posted about it one too many times when I responded to you. I am not a good :justpost:er. At least half the time I write something and just close the window because who gives a poo poo.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

poo poo sucks for them. Im outta here in 3 weeks with another gig.

That's great! You survived the CIG hellhole.

Has the team there basically given up yet? It looks like the PU has the irreversible minimum level of errors now and we have rumors that big stars are pulling out of SQ42.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Star Citizen is hosed; discuss

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing - just here to chill; shoot the breeze.
Cool. I was hoping I could get you to weigh in on that question about ship sales from a while ago. I'll put it as simply as I can to avoid whatever was so confusing about it the first time. Here's the question:

Since they have the money (and time and staffing) they need to develop the game and its assets already in their hands, should they keep 'selling' things they haven't made yet at inflated prices, or should they wait until they have actually made something and incorporated it in the game before putting it up for sale?

FWIW, my own answer for this is that I agree with what you've said before: I think that a company with over $115 million in crowdfunding doesn't need to constantly get 'pledges' for ships to keep the lights on and cover their monthly payroll. Also, they've had years to get their studios up and running, and more recently they've claimed that they now have a stable, working pipeline for taking a ship from a concept to something that's flyable in-game relatively quickly. But somehow, they're stuck on going from "We have an idea for a ship, here's some concept art for it" directly to "You can give us money for this now!" without bothering to make the ship and get it into the game first. This just seems like an incredibly shady business model -- if they have all the resources they need to make a thing, why not make it first, then sell it? Why do they need to start making money on a new ship concept immediately, even though it means not being able to give any remotely accurate information about what they're selling or how it will be implemented in the game, and opening themselves up to all the pitfalls of selling a picture and some vague statements instead of an actual thing? Frankly, it's the kind of behavior that suggests their most important goal is to get money into the company as quickly as possible, not to get content into their game.

You're obviously interested in trying to find the best possible face to put on what they're doing (possibly the only person in this thread who would!), so I'd really be interested in hearing your take on this.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah but does it have drop in/drop out co-op and modable private servers :smuggo:

You say this as a joke, but the ironic part is Overwatch actually does have customizable private match set up, which is far more than Star Citizen will ever have (i.e., nothing).

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sperglord posted:

That's great! You survived the CIG hellhole.

Has the team there basically given up yet? It looks like the PU has the irreversible minimum level of errors now and we have rumors that big stars are pulling out of SQ42.

Thankfully i have limited contact with the pu. poo poo is hosed network wise and will not be getting better anytimme soon. People havent really given up. There is a bit of desperation and we seem to be in, "not gently caress my career mode". I made a post on sq42 last page. The poo poo isnt 2016. If someone competant gets behind the helm you might get something worth a 6-7/10 late 2017/early 18.

The PU will never be a thing. Id stake a lot on that. The crossinstancing thing is pure fantasyland. Big eve like battles will never occur. The first time i heard of the instance merging i thought they were loving joking.

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 10, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm seriously thinking we could just snag the Unreal engine and make an interesting space game. We could call it LancerFree.

Programmers I have in abundance. It's artists that I don't know.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Space motorcycles, for 35 dollars soon, but here is the thing, it isn't even in concept stage yet. You just have to have faith. Also, you can draw it for a contest and they might pick yours!

paarp

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
The issue council is a loving joke too. Im "testing" :downs: lol gently caress u nerd. I think in the last six months its been genuinely helpful like once.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15372-Shubin-Contractor-Reward-Program

I wonder where they stole the guy in the suit from.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Pretty standard childish game dev stuff, i worked at a place where a dude drew dicks on EVERYTHING. when superbad came out we all thought they had used him as inspiration.
one time we had publishers come into the studio and someone forgot to erase the big throbbing veiny cock on the conference room dry erase board. Fun times.

acclaim had a guy that would draw pictures of a guy named "no bonus billy" that drove managment nuts.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Same

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
To be fair they almost have to rely on public testing done by whales since as a QA worker I would ask them to at least bring it to some form of stability before it even makes sense.
I mean what would a typical testing session look like,
"I started the game, phased through a wall, t-posed, did 14x tries to spawn a ship on a pad, launched with the ship and got thrown out of the ship somewhere in deep space. Could I replicate that? HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Space motorcycles, for 35 dollars soon, but here is the thing, it isn't even in concept stage yet. You just have to have faith. Also, you can draw it for a contest and they might pick yours!

paarp

They admitted a long time ago that any further sales would be ships that wouldn't even be in the PU at full release (which is hilarious, the more time that passes after Ben saying that.)

So they have gone from

Selling Game Ships ---> Selling Concepts of Ships that will be in the game ---> Selling concepts that won't even be in the game ----> Selling the concept of a concept that won't even be in the game

Sorry. I mean "Pledging items with a pledge tax in a pledge store with a pledge cart during pledge sales pledges."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Several weeks ago I swear they said the Dragonfly design was fairly done. The posture of the rider would be like a sportbike.

Guess Roberts nixed that idea. Back to drawing board.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well that's unfortunate. Good thing project is in a test phase and they can work these bugs.

CAN'T EXIT SEAT ON AURORA

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT
Unable to exit seat of aurora

EXPECTED RESULT
exit the seat

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Several weeks ago I swear they said the Dragonfly design was fairly done. The posture of the rider would be like a sportbike.

Guess Roberts nixed that idea. Back to drawing board.
Chris probably saw a trike.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They basically just admitted that their gamescon appearance is a hang out session. No game to be shown, just come hang out.

Paarp

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

SurfaceDetail posted:

poo poo sucks for them. Im outta here in 3 weeks with another gig.

I hope you dont sign an NDA commando

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm indifferent. Plus, I can't really comment on any of that.

300I DOOR INVERTED

It's just in-different

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Lime Tonics posted:

They basically just admitted that their gamescon appearance is a hang out session. No game to be shown, just come hang out.

Paarp

I really hope it's five days straight of backers running up to them shouting "Where's the loving game Ben?" and then slapping their drinks off the table.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

1500 posted:

Picked up Overwatch, really fun game, although I have not played a PVP FPS for like 5+ years so boy do i suck.
Good news! You will improve dramatically as you learn the maps and what each hero can do. Sometimes just being able to not get killed is enough.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Goonfear? All time high? Source?

BODY PARTS WRANGLED UP

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Palisader posted:

I hope you dont sign an NDA commando

I have but most of the poo poo covered does not even exist to leak

Its a very ambitious nda

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:same:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That looks an awful lot like the space suits from the movie prometheus.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing - just here to chill; shoot the breeze.

Nope. Please tell me how that makes you feel.

MY CHARACTER HAS SEVERAL GAS LEAKS (PIC)

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 load into ptu
2 make sure civ clothes are on
3 Run straight at window to flight deck (don't go through airlock
4 if performance on network is low, then character will clip out of the window, onto the deck
5 proceed to EVA without flightsuit

ACTUAL RESULT
Can recreate this in almost every instance I've been in. Running toward the corner of the window yields more success, however you might get stuck. Bug makes for some laughs. Just glad my character was gassy enough to get to strut D to request a ship..

EXPECTED RESULT
Civilian clothes shouldn't be EVA capable..

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Paarp

Well they are obligated to do Citizen Con and they only have so much bullshit available.

They really only get one shot at showing people some rendered movies and talking about all the exciting things that totally have no indication that they are actually happening. If you do that 2-4 times a year it starts becoming obvious to even the most broken idiots that are still shoveling money into the bottomless pit.

Like, Imagine they had done E3 and then Gamescom like any real company that was developing a product and had actual work they wanted to show about a product that was actually being released would do. They probably only have 1-2 pre-rendered "In Engine" videos that people haven't seen yet that can be used as a coping mechanism by the backers to pretend there is progress.

By skipping/blowing off the major game conventions they can just go into their own strictly controlled convention with the bare minimum of conceptual work to try and keep idiots excited about this shitshow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Barn Folk posted:

I really hope it's five days straight of backers running up to them shouting "Where's the loving game Ben?" and then slapping their drinks off the table.

Five days of that, followed by an 8,000-word rant by CRobber about being harassed by goons, even though they were all citizens…

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Which financial documents have you seen to give you such confidence in your statements?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUBMISSION

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 Try to logg in to PTU 2.4

ACTUAL RESULT
When i try to log on to the PTU 2.4 i get a black screen and then a pop up that say ^'thank you for your submission* press ok and game will crash.

EXPECTED RESULT
Start the game

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is your best post TBH

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Not sure I should download this 2.4 mess and dig through pak files for unexplained stupid poo poo and cruft.

What say you goons?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SurfaceDetail posted:

Thankfully i have limited contact with the pu. poo poo is hosed network wise and will not be getting better anytimme soon. People havent really given up. There is a bit of desperation and we seem to be in, "not gently caress my career mode". I made a post on sq42 last page. The poo poo isnt 2016. If someone competant gets behind the helm you might get something worth a 6-7/10 late 2017/early 18.

The PU will never be a thing. Id stake a lot on that. The crossinstancing thing is pure fantasyland. Big eve like battles will never occur. The first time i heard of the instance merging i thought they were loving joking.

Early 2018 = 6.5 years and probably 100 million dollars to make a wing commander sequel that most backers don't give a poo poo about. Well done crobberts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not sure I should download this 2.4 mess and dig through pak files for unexplained stupid poo poo and cruft.

What say you goons?

is it out on public yet or just PTU? If it's out on public go for it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

is it out on public yet or just PTU? If it's out on public go for it.

Oh it's on like Donkey Kong.

Edit: Nice to see the DL is downloading 1/5th the speed of my connection.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 10, 2016

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Trilobite posted:

Cool. I was hoping I could get you to weigh in on that question about ship sales from a while ago. I'll put it as simply as I can to avoid whatever was so confusing about it the first time. Here's the question:

Since they have the money (and time and staffing) they need to develop the game and its assets already in their hands, should they keep 'selling' things they haven't made yet at inflated prices, or should they wait until they have actually made something and incorporated it in the game before putting it up for sale?

FWIW, my own answer for this is that I agree with what you've said before: I think that a company with over $115 million in crowdfunding doesn't need to constantly get 'pledges' for ships to keep the lights on and cover their monthly payroll. Also, they've had years to get their studios up and running, and more recently they've claimed that they now have a stable, working pipeline for taking a ship from a concept to something that's flyable in-game relatively quickly. But somehow, they're stuck on going from "We have an idea for a ship, here's some concept art for it" directly to "You can give us money for this now!" without bothering to make the ship and get it into the game first. This just seems like an incredibly shady business model -- if they have all the resources they need to make a thing, why not make it first, then sell it? Why do they need to start making money on a new ship concept immediately, even though it means not being able to give any remotely accurate information about what they're selling or how it will be implemented in the game, and opening themselves up to all the pitfalls of selling a picture and some vague statements instead of an actual thing? Frankly, it's the kind of behavior that suggests their most important goal is to get money into the company as quickly as possible, not to get content into their game.

You're obviously interested in trying to find the best possible face to put on what they're doing (possibly the only person in this thread who would!), so I'd really be interested in hearing your take on this.

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business. Sure - they're producing a video game without a publisher (and some would say with misguided management - time will tell), and via a crowd-funded venture. Some of the more blatant trolls here will argue that other funding sources are minimal. Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression. Ok - that part is said.

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with. With over 300 people working, I'm sure there are enough individuals that can be dedciated to working on concepting, designing, and rendering ships that it wouldn't detract from other key elements of development. Now - forget for a second that concept ships might not make it to engine right away, and that they are offering ships for cash before other facets of the game are further developed. Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships. They are not saying that 'in order to continue funding development, we need to sell these ships - so buy!' They are making something available to people who continue to back a project while still in creation.

If we were to close out all communication of development from this point forward and pretend - for instance - that this were a project run by a publisher, we likely wouldn't hear anything about development progress until later alpha/beta stages, were only a select few thousand were invited, and then a few more in public beta: approx 6-8 months from release (similar to how COD, BF, etc do things). Those users never get anything prior to game release, unless they pre-purchase the title and are offered some mediocre bonus for doing so.

CIG is very unorthodox (and some of you may interpret unorthodox to mean inexperienced, complacent, whatever) in their methods of communication. But, they technically are divulging more about the development process than most other games have done this early in the game.

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ezekeel posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbullshit/comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d43334u

Hook, line and sinker.

Shitizens are like these old-timey music boxes. Once you know how to wind them up they play you the most wondrous melodies.

OHNOE i've been EXPOSED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh it's on like Donkey Kong.

poo poo, it's on public? I have access to an account with a Starfarer, I'm gonna go see what kind of stupid bullshit is broken with it...

• Locked thread