Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:laffo: that shoulder and the broken LOD-stomped face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

poo poo, it's on public? I have access to an account with a Starfarer, I'm gonna go see what kind of stupid bullshit is broken with it...

Well it is still PTU.

Go into your account on the RSI page, there should be a PTU tab or something to copy your account across. Only took a few seconds to get the email that it was copied.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well it is still PTU.

Go into your account on the RSI page, there should be a PTU tab or something to copy your account across. Only took a few seconds to get the email that it was copied.

Oh, don't bother downloading it if it's PTU. gently caress that noise. Wait till it goes live. Nothing in this game is exciting enough to justify downloading a 30 gb patch twice

:kayak::cig::kayak:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships.

Here's the thing. The question was, is it a scummy thing to do.
No one is forced to buy a ship.
But that's not how cons work.

When people get conned they give the con artist money. They aren't forced to at gun point. No one here is accusing CIG of robbery. They are accusing CIG of acting ina shady manner akin of a con artist.

So when your business model seems like a con. It's a scummy business model.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Space motorcycles, for 35 dollars soon, but here is the thing, it isn't even in concept stage yet. You just have to have faith. Also, you can draw it for a contest and they might pick yours!

paarp

Pretty sure this isn't the first time they have sold a nothing, I remember a question mark jpeg.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business

Businesses produce finished goods for profit. What CIG is doing is taking preorders for add-ons for a game yet to be completed. Should the CEO be drawing a salary from a company that has yet to produce anything significant? Shouldn't preorder money be used to fund the game before going into his pocket? Because there is a very real probability that this project tanks before completion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

MY CHARACTER HAS SEVERAL GAS LEAKS (PIC)

EXPECTED RESULT
Civilian clothes shouldn't be EVA capable..

Note, he gave up on expecting not to clip through walls.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SurfaceDetail posted:

Having all these offices on different continents doomed this project. Its impossible to keep everyone on the same page and when i go home i wonder if all my shits gonna be hosed up when i come in the next day. The answer is yes.

If it was a normal office theyd come talk to me before we continued but when you are in england or germany you have to just work and hope its ok. This goes both ways

I've done a number of projects where teams were in different countries, even Asia-Europe-US. There's this job-role called a 'project manager' who typically make sure everyone's on the same page. In an ideal world being a PM means doing nothing, because everyone else is doing their job (albeit this never happens).

Does CIG even have PMs or is Chris doing it all himself?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

That looks an awful lot like the space suits from the movie prometheus.

Yeah it does :)

Also, from the very first line of text in the competition:

quote:

The ‘verse keeps getting bigger,

No, no your 'verse loving doesn't, it's still a lovely tech demo of a small area of a solar system. :bang:

quote:

but some things never change.

Now they're on the right track. :bang:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

With over 300 people working

If we were to close out all communication of development from this point forward and pretend - for instance - that this were a project run by a publisher, we likely wouldn't hear anything about development progress until later alpha/beta stages, were only a select few thousand were invited, and then a few more in public beta: approx 6-8 months from release (similar to how COD, BF, etc do things). Those users never get anything prior to game release, unless they pre-purchase the title and are offered some mediocre bonus for doing so.

If you're doing pre-alpha with over 300 employees, you're:

1) burning money for no reason
2) incredible stupid

Pick two.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh, don't bother downloading it if it's PTU. gently caress that noise. Wait till it goes live. Nothing in this game is exciting enough to justify downloading a 30 gb patch twice

:kayak::cig::kayak:

Ah gotcha. Yeah I agree.

Got a feeling this baby will be the one. That's what my spidey sense is telling me.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ah gotcha. Yeah I agree.

Got a feeling this baby will be the one. That's what my spidey sense is telling me.

Funny, my spidey sense is telling me this is going to be the last one.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

they pushed 2.4 to the public already? lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business. Sure - they're producing a video game without a publisher (and some would say with misguided management - time will tell), and via a crowd-funded venture. Some of the more blatant trolls here will argue that other funding sources are minimal. Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression. Ok - that part is said.

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with. With over 300 people working, I'm sure there are enough individuals that can be dedciated to working on concepting, designing, and rendering ships that it wouldn't detract from other key elements of development. Now - forget for a second that concept ships might not make it to engine right away, and that they are offering ships for cash before other facets of the game are further developed. Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships. They are not saying that 'in order to continue funding development, we need to sell these ships - so buy!' They are making something available to people who continue to back a project while still in creation.

If we were to close out all communication of development from this point forward and pretend - for instance - that this were a project run by a publisher, we likely wouldn't hear anything about development progress until later alpha/beta stages, were only a select few thousand were invited, and then a few more in public beta: approx 6-8 months from release (similar to how COD, BF, etc do things). Those users never get anything prior to game release, unless they pre-purchase the title and are offered some mediocre bonus for doing so.

CIG is very unorthodox (and some of you may interpret unorthodox to mean inexperienced, complacent, whatever) in their methods of communication. But, they technically are divulging more about the development process than most other games have done this early in the game.

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diumz7rcYNE&t=86s

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with.

CIG is very unorthodox (and some of you may interpret unorthodox to mean inexperienced, complacent, whatever) in their methods of communication. But, they technically are divulging more about the development process than most other games have done this early in the game.

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.

1) "pledge/donation"? They are selling those things, you don't get to use euphemisms or outright misinformation for that regardless what the hive mind says.

2) Users never get development information outside of marketing because it is not their money that is being used to develop the game. Star Citizen lives from its backers and if you want to call their very sparse information about actual progress (not the PU but actual plans, like how is the economy going to work or how far are you into sq42) or outright lies (star marine) unorthodox then I can't even disagree though I suspect for different reasons. Most of the stuff they publish outside of the PU builds is just plain marketing, not open development.

3) I know ripping of stupid people is the dream for every proud Libertarian but most countries agree that consumers should also be protected.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well it is still PTU.
booooo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ash1138 posted:

they pushed 2.4 to the public already? lol

No, opened up the PTU to the masses/public.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business. Sure - they're producing a video game without a publisher (and some would say with misguided management - time will tell), and via a crowd-funded venture. Some of the more blatant trolls here will argue that other funding sources are minimal. Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression. Ok - that part is said.

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with. With over 300 people working, I'm sure there are enough individuals that can be dedciated to working on concepting, designing, and rendering ships that it wouldn't detract from other key elements of development. Now - forget for a second that concept ships might not make it to engine right away, and that they are offering ships for cash before other facets of the game are further developed. Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships. They are not saying that 'in order to continue funding development, we need to sell these ships - so buy!' They are making something available to people who continue to back a project while still in creation.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SurfaceDetail posted:

I have but most of the poo poo covered does not even exist to leak

Its a very ambitious nda

Surprisingly few NDAs say 'you agree to never discuss whether your CEO is a dribbling retard' or 'promise never to say at what point you suspected it was a scam'

PST
Jul 5, 2012

What the hell is going on with the left hand?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Forget working for CIG being a black mark on your own career. Just being a fervent supporter of CIG should be a black mark on your career.

I think the next time I'm interviewing, I'm going to ask "Imagine a software company working on a highly ambitious project, with many customer pre-orders. Every release date they announce later pushed back, and this goes on for years. Is this a normal part of software development?"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression.
Can someone here with a bit of business accumen explain what the gently caress the second part of that sentence means? Or is MoMA drunk?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Remind me of the Industry Names I've excused and of what exactly I've excused them for? It eludes my memory but seems a specific enough accusation you surely must have a few names on your mind.

Aw, come on, are you really asking me to comb your post history?
YOUR post history? I'd need to take a vacation to do that. Not that it matters, but off the top of my head, a few examples: Brian Chambers, Sean Tracy, anyone who ever left CIG (including people who were there until very recently) who isn't completely anonymous, David Ladyman...

G0RF posted:

Right, so in the absence of an ulterior motive, what exactly is it then?

Precisely this:

G0RF posted:

As for pleading for a little proportionality in response on occasion here-- yes, I've a bad habit of that. I'm assuming that too is an outrage, right?

... in short, you feel bad about badmouthing anyone who's not top brass.
And feel we're being too harsh. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, because this thread desperately needs balancing on occasion.
In this case, however, what's on the plate and being criticised is company culture. There's no balancing warranted there, regardless of the actors.

G0RF posted:

Well, please forgive me for subjecting you to the outrageous spectacle of a little grace every once in awhile. On SomethingAwful of all places-- the horror!

Grace on SomethingAwful?! OUTRAGEOUS!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PST posted:

I think someone hosed up the layers and has got the background partially on top of the hand.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Can someone here with a bit of business accumen explain what the gently caress the second part of that sentence means? Or is MoMA drunk?

I'm thinking he means 'wishes to succeed banks on one source of income', which is part of his ongoing 'I secretly know that CIG has secret bank loans despite Crobber saying it was all self-funded, therefore the declining income doesn't matter'

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG is very unorthodox
"Very unorthodox", I like it, I'm gonna steal it next time I want to say something is complete poo poo.

e:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Simultaneously these aren't sales. No refunds.

A very unorthodox argument.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 10, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Capitalism, ho!

Hi moma, I get it that you enjoy posting just to wind people up with this sort of thing but I'm wondering which side of the fence you're leaning towards these days.

Based on the current state of the game, their stated goals, timescales (or lack thereof) and the competence of people in control of the project, can you tell me what percentage you'd give that the game will come out and be a critically acclaimed success at any point in the future?

Are you a 50/50 kinda guy? Are you thinking they've got a 40% chance of succeeding? I assume you're not an insane cultist who thinks they've got a 100% chance of success.

Where abouts would you place yourself on this scale?

Personally, I think they've got maybe a 20% chance of releasing something that average gamers (ones that aren't already invested in the project) think is a high quality game. I guess they've got another 20% chance of releasing something average, and the rest is split between releasing nothing at all or pushing an unmitigated pile of crap out of the door which is pretty much the same thing.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

'to succeed banks on one source of income for progression.' perhaps?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PST posted:

It's either a cyber-thumb or one of those remote controls from the Ender's Game movie.

^^^ Also ripped off from somewhere, but that goes without saying at this point.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Or is MoMA drunk?
You take that back, he'd never drink on the job!

He's just a moron.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PST posted:

I'm thinking he means 'wishes to succeed banks on one source of income', which is part of his ongoing 'I secretly know that CIG has secret bank loans despite Crobber saying it was all self-funded, therefore the declining income doesn't matter'

Ok, that would make sense, in that it would be a coherent English sentence. It doesn't make sense, in that how the gently caress do they pay off the loans if their actual income is dropping? Loaning money to this company makes no sense. If, say, Activision asked a bank for $20million, the bank can look at how much the games they sell bring in and decide if that's a safe bet. With CIG, the money they've got coming in is pre-payment for the thing they're working on. The people who are going to buy the game already have bought the game. How do CIG convince a bank to loan them money when the product they need money for has already been paid for by the customers?

tooterfish posted:

You take that back, he'd never drink on the job!

He's just a moron.

Maybe he's a drunk moron.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
The face of fidelity:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

PST posted:

When will this "HUD projection on the faceplate visible from the outside" nonsense finally die out?
That's not how loving optics work.

Not only that, but even if you had HUD projected onto your faceplate, you'd go crosseyed looking at it, if you could focus on it at all.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, that would make sense, in that it would be a coherent English sentence. It doesn't make sense, in that how the gently caress do they pay off the loans if their actual income is dropping? Loaning money to this company makes no sense. If, say, Activision asked a bank for $20million, the bank can look at how much the games they sell bring in and decide if that's a safe bet. With CIG, the money they've got coming in is pre-payment for the thing they're working on. The people who are going to buy the game already have bought the game. How do CIG convince a bank to loan them money when the product they need money for has already been paid for by the customers?

Maybe he's a drunk moron.

By lying to the bank just as they're lying to their customers.

In Crobber's head, the moment the game comes out it's going to outsell CoD/GTA/Every other game and they'll make billions, they just have to get there. 2 weeks.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

PST posted:

Why is the text on his left arm backwards

What did he see in the ladies' restroom

Why does he have nipple flashlights

PST
Jul 5, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money.

You finally admit that it's a sale and not a pledge/donation, at last, you're coming round to telling the truth, well done, have a gold star.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Propagandist posted:

Why does he have nipple flashlights

You don't?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008