Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just saw the restoration of chimes at midnight and it's one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I have been waiting over a decade for Criterion to release Chimes. I can't believe it's finally happening.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Jesus Christ I hope the Australian dollar recovers soon. Even with Amazon's base price I'm still looking at $40AU a movie + shipping :(

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm looking forward to rewatching Chimes. I had a hard time understand the dialogue for most of the movie and it only started making sense to me near the end.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Glad to see audio commentaries are not a thing of the past

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Looking at Wikipedia, the rights to Filming Othello are held by Oja Kodar.

So, don't hold your breath. There's been bad blood between Kodar and Beatrice Welles for a while. Welles has gotten a lot of flack, but the problems with The Other Side of the Wind are apparently Kodar interfering.
I hate to say it, but we're going to have to wait for people to start dying off if we actually want some of this stuff restored or even finished in the case of The Other Side of the Wind, aren't we? It's always SOMETHING with these people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The BBFC listing for the UK edition of Dr. Strangelove reveals that Criterion is including the 17 minute promo reel as an extra.

It's made up of alternate edits and takes of the film with narration by Kubrick. Sort of like a condensed version of the film meant for either the investors/studio or exhibitors.

Also, the new interviews run about 70 minutes long combined.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-and-love-bomb-added-value-video

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My current copy of strangelove has these special features:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Valley of the Dolls (1967)? ('Valet of the dolls')

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe we're meant to focus on the blank space that's...beyond the valet of the Dolls.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Butler of Babies

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's Dr. Strangelove officially has the best packaging ever:
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-p...collection/1591

The booklet is in an envelope to look like the Plan R instructions and the credits/transfer notes are in a reproduction of the miniature phrase book/bible

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion's Dr. Strangelove officially has the best packaging ever:
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-p...collection/1591

The booklet is in an envelope to look like the Plan R instructions and the credits/transfer notes are in a reproduction of the miniature phrase book/bible

I am excited to buy this

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Has anyone else had problems with the quality of the discs on the Zatoichi set? So far, of the 3 discs I've gotten around to watching, 3 have issues with skipping and not playing properly. I've never had this issue before with any other Blu-ray I have.

I emailed Criterion, and I asked them just to send me copies of the movies in a normal case or even a CD-jewel case for all I care. I just don't trust the sleeves the discs come in. Or maybe I've been given a lemon. But I'm a creature of psychology, and so I have made the connection that this unique packaging, without strong evidence, is why I've been given a lemon set.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That does seem odd. AFAIK Blu-ray have superior scratch resistance than dvds. They shouldn't be scratched up by that unique case so easily.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I had a lot of issues with my old DVDs before I switched over the blu ray, but I've never had any problems with a blu ray and I have over a hundred of them. I'm thinking the discs in that Zatoichi set were probably just defective.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The only time I've had that happen from discs in a multi-set was the Hitchcock Premiere Collection from MGM which came in similar packaging to the Zatoichi set. Apparently a consequence of so many discs and pages being tightly packed together in a booklet was that the discs became warped, which was enough to cause playback issues. Whenever I watch one of those, the sound of the disc spinning is like a tiny buzzsaw.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the quality of the discs on the Zatoichi set? So far, of the 3 discs I've gotten around to watching, 3 have issues with skipping and not playing properly. I've never had this issue before with any other Blu-ray I have.

I emailed Criterion, and I asked them just to send me copies of the movies in a normal case or even a CD-jewel case for all I care. I just don't trust the sleeves the discs come in. Or maybe I've been given a lemon. But I'm a creature of psychology, and so I have made the connection that this unique packaging, without strong evidence, is why I've been given a lemon set.

I haven't made it through all of them but I've had no probs thus far with the set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Did they ever get back to you on this? My set is doing the same thing. The second movie is completely unplayable, it always stutters and eventually freezes for good 31 minutes in.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Do the Zatoichi discs look discoloured in anyway? I bought that set forever ago and haven't got around to watching them yet and seems like when I do they'll just explode.

Edit: I put in the first bluray and went through every movie on it on fastforward (I stopped it during part 2 and let it play normal from 30 minute mark to 32 and no skips) and none of them stopped the player.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 9, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they ever get back to you on this? My set is doing the same thing. The second movie is completely unplayable, it always stutters and eventually freezes for good 31 minutes in.

Oh god, now you guys are making me worried and I am going to spend like 3 hours trying out every disc.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Multiple Maniacs is getting restored by Criterion :rock:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Yaws posted:

Multiple Maniacs is getting restored by Criterion :rock:
This is unexpected and awesome.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SubG posted:

This is unexpected and awesome.

Yeah I thought Waters had kinda disowned it but I guess not. He does the best commentaries so I'm really looking forward to it.

Now I just need Mondo Trasho

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Just give me a big box of filth. I won't even wait for a John Waters Divine set to go on sale. Day one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I sent in the email on Sunday, so I'm not worried. They're not a big company, and so I'm willing to accept that their customer service department might be a little slower than I would prefer. Part of me imagines that there's someone who spends an hour or two every day going through emails before getting back to other work. And I imagine that their email can be filled with variety of legitimate needs and people kvetching about something minor like "I notice that this release isn't as grainy as I like!"

You just got to be patient.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Safe Driver posted:

Just give me a big box of filth. I won't even wait for a John Waters Divine set to go on sale. Day one.

I'm honestly surprised they're not just doing it this way.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yaws posted:

Yeah I thought Waters had kinda disowned it but I guess not. He does the best commentaries so I'm really looking forward to it.

Criteriion has been on a bit of a tear recently. Multiple Maniacs (1970), Kings of the Road (1976), and Chimes at Midnight (1965) were all right at the top of my personal list of almost-unavailable films that I really wanted a good release of. Now if they'd somehow or other get ahold of Mickey One (1965), Diary of a Shinjuku Thief (1969), some Juraj Herz....

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

SubG posted:

Diary of a Shinjuku Thief (1969)

they have this on Hulu, so i'd guess they hold some sort of rights to it..?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Selling some Criterion blus at sub-B&N sale prices if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779562

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Safe Driver posted:

B-but Divine isn't in Desperate Living which is my favorite John Waters!

Nah, I will instantly buy any pre-Hairspray films they release.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rusty Staub posted:

they have this on Hulu, so i'd guess they hold some sort of rights to it..?
Cool, didn't know that. In which case I guess I should have said Funeral Procession of Roses (1969) instead.

And huh they have Juraj Herz' The Cremator (1969), which is probably his best film (and the score by Zdeněk Liška is one of my favourites as well). But not Morgiana (1972) or, like Ferat Vampire (1982).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SubG posted:

And huh they have Juraj Herz' The Cremator (1969), which is probably his best film (and the score by Zdeněk Liška is one of my favourites as well).
That reminds me that I could do with more František Vláčil as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Coaaab posted:

That reminds me that I could do with more František Vláčil as well.
Yeah, Marketa Lazarová (1967) owns, but Valley of the Bees (1968) is right up there as well. As are their Liska scores.

Criterion has flirted with Czech film and the Czech New Wave a couple times, but it would be cool if they dug into it the same way they do with, say, Japanese film.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Yaws posted:

He seemed pretty happy with in when they showed it at Lincoln Center last year.

I would normally expect something like Mondo Trasho to be a supplement, like Killer's Kiss was when they released The Killing, but getting the music licenses would be insanely expensive. It's a shame, too, because that needs a restoration even more than Multiple Maniacs does. Waters brought his personal print of it to project last year, but it was so worn and brittle it wouldn't thread, so they showed a near-VHS quality digital version instead.

I suppose they could do an alternate soundtrack or something, but that would be a completely different movie.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

SubG posted:

And huh they have Juraj Herz' The Cremator (1969), which is probably his best film (and the score by Zdeněk Liška is one of my favourites as well). But not Morgiana (1972) or, like Ferat Vampire (1982).
I've only seen The Cremator but I absolutely adore it, I need to seek out more by him. His version of Beauty and the Beast looks amazing.

Two Worlds posted:

He seemed pretty happy with in when they showed it at Lincoln Center last year.

I would normally expect something like Mondo Trasho to be a supplement, like Killer's Kiss was when they released The Killing, but getting the music licenses would be insanely expensive. It's a shame, too, because that needs a restoration even more than Multiple Maniacs does. Waters brought his personal print of it to project last year, but it was so worn and brittle it wouldn't thread, so they showed a near-VHS quality digital version instead.

I suppose they could do an alternate soundtrack or something, but that would be a completely different movie.
The real dream would be to have Hag in a Black Leather Jacket, Roman Candles, and Eat Your Makeup as special features. I've always wanted to see them but they seem lost forever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

HP Hovercraft posted:

I've only seen The Cremator but I absolutely adore it, I need to seek out more by him. His version of Beauty and the Beast looks amazing.
He's one of those directors whose best films feel like they are almost but not quite great films and who has a bunch of films that aren't his best, and I think that's the reason why he's relatively unknown.

We ought to have better language for talking about this sort of thing. Because I have no problem saying that The Cremator is a great film (despite what I just said). But it's not exactly a film that casts a long shadow. I don't find myself comparing other films to it. Don't see it's influence everywhere. Don't find it changing the way I feel about the medium. Or whatever. I made similar comments about Aldo Lado in the horror thread, and it's pretty much the same thing. His films, at their best, feel like they're on the ragged edge of being revelatory or seminal or whatever...but they're never quite there.

As opposed to, I dunno, Béla Tarr,. Whose misses leave you feeling like that was a mediocre great film but holy poo poo was it a great film. If that makes sense. Talking about film sucks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would still love for Criterion to release some Miklós Jancsó films. I want an actual good transfer of The Red and the White.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

As opposed to, I dunno, Béla Tarr,. Whose misses leave you feeling like that was a mediocre great film but holy poo poo was it a great film. If that makes sense. Talking about film sucks.

Speaking of directors whose films could use the Criterion treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So it's all but confirmed that a Lone Wolf & Cub set is coming, yeah?