Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Someone please make Nico smile again :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love you Mari Okada.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
And there's that patented Okada nut-punch to the emotions.

Also, serious props to Katsuhira's VA this episode.

I guess this is what eventually killed all the previous experiments; once you hit the point where people start feeling the pain from the Kizuna System inflicting their own pain on the others in the bond, you hit a feedback loop where you keep feeling ever increasing amounts of pain until you pass out.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great episode. I am going to watch it again.

The Sandman posted:

I guess this is what eventually killed all the previous experiments; once you hit the point where people start feeling the pain from the Kizuna System inflicting their own pain on the others in the bond, you hit a feedback loop where you keep feeling ever increasing amounts of pain until you pass out.

And it seemed like, for a minute, Katsuhira might've been able to break out of the loop--maybe if he leaned over and give Chidori a hug or something the good vibes might've spread from that--but it is not (yet?) his nature.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He only has feelings for the best girl, Sonozaki, he can't help a girl who isn't best.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

The Sandman posted:

That'd be Kaji Yuki. Most famous in the western world for being the voice of Eren Jager in Attack on Titan. Also does Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney and Ikoma's best man best friend in Kabaneri this season. He's kinda got the Screaming Shonen Protag down pat in more shows than I can keep count of. (Shot to fame by playing....Hope in FFXIII. I wish I was joking about that.)

So much pain and despair this week. And as much as I'd like to say "dumb writing, no one is this dumb and emotional about liking a guy" but I'VE BEEN IN THAT POSITION AND I CAN'T SAY IT'S TOTALLY INACCURATE. So emotional gut-punches all around. :(

Was hoping we could get something like a reveal about Nico's feeling for Tenga being a "we felt it there but we couldn't tell it was Nico and not just Chidori the Drama Queen again" thing. Didn't get that, but I'm looking forward to the despair next week (or can I say that about a non-Urobuchi show?). :allears:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Sandman posted:

And there's that patented Okada nut-punch to the emotions.

I'm thinking that their goal is actually the opposite effect. The implications are kind of creepy though -- I can imagine a scenario where with enough use, humanity turns into a hivemind. Maybe that's the ideal outcome for Japanese researchers? :D

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I'm thinking that their goal is actually the opposite effect. The implications are kind of creepy though -- I can imagine a scenario where with enough use, humanity turns into a hivemind. Maybe that's the ideal outcome for Japanese researchers? :D

Just give me one quick shot of eye-mask sensei doing the Gendo Ikari pose and I'll be happy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That was so raw and emotional and painful and real. I feel like all the air has been sucked out of my lungs. What a beautiful show on all counts.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Agronox posted:

Great episode. I am going to watch it again.

And it seemed like, for a minute, Katsuhira might've been able to break out of the loop--maybe if he leaned over and give Chidori a hug or something the good vibes might've spread from that--but it is not (yet?) his nature.

I think the problem was that there was no "love" in that scenario. The difference between the hug with Sonozaki and with Chidori was that it looked like he actually had some emotion and felt something with Sonozaki. With Chidori, it's kind of like giving all the classmates a valentine's day treat. No love, all mechanical.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

I think the problem was that there was no "love" in that scenario. The difference between the hug with Sonozaki and with Chidori was that it looked like he actually had some emotion and felt something with Sonozaki. With Chidori, it's kind of like giving all the classmates a valentine's day treat. No love, all mechanical.

Which is at the core of Chidori's "HUG ME! YOU HUGGED ME, YOU JACKASS, GET OFF!" thing: she wants the hugging but in a girlfriend-boyfriend-"I love you"-way, not a "I'm your friend and I feel bad for you" or "okay, I'll hug you because you specifically asked me to" way.

Kiznaiver: Being Human Is Hard

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Sorry, I guess my point is that by the time everyone is in the opposite of a cuddle puddle--a sadness splash?--he probably could've hugged pretty much ANYONE and things might've improved. I imagine even Chidori would've been fine with some help by the time the ripples of depression kept hitting everyone.

Anyway, this show is becoming one of my favorites from this season. Might be time for an avatar change...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Overlord K posted:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Agronox posted:

Sorry, I guess my point is that by the time everyone is in the opposite of a cuddle puddle--a sadness splash?--he probably could've hugged pretty much ANYONE and things might've improved. I imagine even Chidori would've been fine with some help by the time the ripples of depression kept hitting everyone.

Anyway, this show is becoming one of my favorites from this season. Might be time for an avatar change...

I think I understand what you mean now, but I still think it would have had the opposite effect in that instance. Probably would have gotten the whole "Get off me you ROBOT/DOLL/ETC." reaction due to it still not being done out of real emotion, but out of obligation.
I'm also going to start using the phrase "Cuddle Puddle" whenever I see a large group of baby animals all sleeping close to each other.
And sadness splash for a group creepy people sleeping really close together

As for the avatar:

this is a possible suggestion, but it's not that great considering it's not even the best girl.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
A cuddle puddle sounds like the sort of thing you'd find tweetle beetles in.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gotta say, I'm curious where things are headed now. Especially with Sonozaki. I mean, drat, she knowingly provoked this exact situation - if it weren't for sleep mask dude, who's just gleefully sadistic at this point, I'd say she's the biggest villain so far. I don't think she's gonna be one in the end, though.
I'm really curious what the relation between Sonizaki and Katsuhira is gonna look like now. It's gotta get even into his ultra-dense skull that he was being played...

I'm also getting extra paranoid about Hisomu. He feels like an extra tagging along. Yet he was the centerpiece of an entire episode, he's part of no love triangle whatsoever, and even the villain (???) acknowledged he has no clue what's going on with this dude. WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING :tinfoil:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Especially with Sonozaki. I mean, drat, she knowingly provoked this exact situation - if it weren't for sleep mask dude, who's just gleefully sadistic at this point, I'd say she's the biggest villain so far. I don't think she's gonna be one in the end, though.

Sleep Mask Teacher is one of those archetypes of a mad scientist who's THIS CLOSE to proving the world that his insane project totally works and will revolutionize mankind as we know it. It's not evil necessarily but as these things go he's putting the project results and speed before something as trivial as "well-being of experiment subjects".

I want more of Hisomu, though. :syoon:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad he got kicked in the groin

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Overlord K posted:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'm glad he got kicked in the groin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sonozaki :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love this cartoon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh god

Maybe not the best thing to have watched when i was already feeling like an emotional basket case.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Will this show ever let these goobers be friends and happy :smith:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

il-landier posted:

Will this show ever let these goobers be friends and happy :smith:

You are watching a show about people being bound by their pains.
Did you really expect that with a premise like that there'd be a happily ever after?

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I'm surprised this got panned by a lot of people, I feel like it really picked up. I wish they had made katsuhira into an interesting character earlier though, he's too boring to have so much drama surrounding him for the first half of the show imo

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Seizon posted:

I'm surprised this got panned by a lot of people, I feel like it really picked up. I wish they had made katsuhira into an interesting character earlier though, he's too boring to have so much drama surrounding him for the first half of the show imo

Ironically, I'm sure that's intentional especially when Noriko said that no one could see themselves in him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He started as an empty shell of a person who was broken by unethical human experimentation. But just because he has been getting better doesn't mean he can't also get worse.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

oh, it was a much more extreme version of the thing i thought. makes sense.

i can't tell if the scene between tenga and chidori was a misunderstanding or if there was a translation error. it seemed clear tenga was asking her for a favor, and she interprets it as him trying to persuade her it's in her interest.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Chidori is just generally awful.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Nico smiled again :unsmith:

Katsuhira and Sonozaki though... That's rough, buddy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

oh, it was a much more extreme version of the thing i thought. makes sense.

i can't tell if the scene between tenga and chidori was a misunderstanding or if there was a translation error. it seemed clear tenga was asking her for a favor, and she interprets it as him trying to persuade her it's in her interest.

She was chiding him for being selfish and assuming she'd be OK with doing that for him. Because, apparently, she wasn't, seeing as it'd mean lying about how she felt.

Looks like our final four couples are getting set up.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Darth Walrus posted:

She was chiding him for being selfish and assuming she'd be OK with doing that for him. Because, apparently, she wasn't, seeing as it'd mean lying about how she felt.

That's the impression I was getting from her, too.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

unless how she feels is "i'll settle if things don't work with katsuhira" i don't see what the lie would be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

unless how she feels is "i'll settle if things don't work with katsuhira" i don't see what the lie would be.

I would assume that her feelings are a little more complex than just settling. She's been laser-focused on Katsuhira for so long that she hadn't even considered that someone might be interested in her, and now that's been violently brought to her attention. She's got a hell of a lot to work through.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Some unintentional humor for me in this show is that the childhood friend didn't win because there was an even earlier childhood friend.

Also Nico is the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

Some unintentional humor for me in this show is that the childhood friend didn't win because there was an even earlier childhood friend.

There's no reason why that couldn't be intentional.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's funny that seeing such a positive, heartfelt and exuberant smile makes a very painful ending.
And boy did it ever.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's no reason why that couldn't be intentional.

pretty sure chidori basically said "i thought i'd win because i was the childhood friend, but if she's the earlier childhood friend i've got no selling points anymore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also i'm way more a fan of nico getting together with tenga than tenga getting with chidori

• Locked thread