Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Kemmler also mentions something about ratmen and their warpstone in one of his quest battles. Skaven are pretty significantly present in the background.

I also just ran into Dark Elves. As Empire, I got an event about dark raiders sailing humongous ships and taking slaves in coastal provinces.

Also ran into this in my Bretonnia campaign

Some more screenshots cause why not this game rules

da gobbo flight academy

happy orc & boar

longbeards welcome the challenge

chaos are so over the top it's cheesy-cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
How are you supposed to start off as Greenskins on legendary?

I've tried a number of different things. I'm doing the obv. hardmode by starting with Azhag who's starting units are complete poo poo, but it isn't the battles that is the problem - it's figuring out what to do on the campaign map

Top knots / red fangs almost always come gently caress with me - the top knots loving join the war in favor of the dwarfs sometimes

Confederating is a nightmare because then I'm constantly dealing with obnoxious rebellions which means I can't really stray far on any warpath thanks to the rebels that have to be dealt with

You're basically going to be at war with everyone around you which is very different from the dwarf campaign where you just need to kill grimgor and keep him in check

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't for the life of me read Heinrich Kemmler in any other way than Heinrich Himmler.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I hate all of you with great computers. My comp barely hits the minimum. I was able to get more ram but I can't upgrade my video card barring getting a new comp

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gejnor posted:

Man ive been trying to do the Alt+right click enemy armies for ages now and i just couldn't seem to get it to work so i ignored it. Finally figured it out in a custom battle. You gotta have the group locked with the little lock icon when you hold Alt+right click enemy or your units will still just congegrate on one target.

Thats cool, i mean ive just spent.... 160 hours on this game before i figured it out..

160 hours.. :negative:

:same:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Not to one up the previous poster, but here's some in game screens. I took five minutes to toss an army up in custom battle.
it's 3 shield/spears, 2 swordsmen, three greatswords, 2 cannons, 2 riflemen, and 4 Knights.
Imho it's not a great composition. The greatswords are a bit redundant, but that's more to demonstrate that you don't need ranged to use the checkerboard formation for fun and profit.

Top down without unit highlights.

With highlights.

The general idea is to give yourself a place to fire with gunpowder and fire units since they have no firing arc to shoot over allies without a hill. The AI will try to envelop your line troops which will expose their flanks to your ranged units.
You can essentially replace the ranged units with heavy hitters or various cavalry for similar effect, which is closer to the original use of the Roman formation.
The infantry in the middle can be whatever you want, here I have greatswords, so assume I'm facing dwarves with this much armor piercing. You can use them to protect your ranged units, fill in lines, flank, or just sit there and be chearleaders.

Bonus pictures showing how i suck at making straight formations.
Front

Back

Pretty profile view

Put this poo poo in the OP and from now on relentlessly mock anyone who asks what checkerboarding is.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Man ive been trying to do the Alt+right click enemy armies for ages now and i just couldn't seem to get it to work so i ignored it. Finally figured it out in a custom battle. You gotta have the group locked with the little lock icon when you hold Alt+right click enemy or your units will still just congegrate on one target.

Thats cool, i mean ive just spent.... 160 hours on this game before i figured it out..

160 hours.. :negative:

I don't understand what anyone is talking about with this. I haven't changed any control settings, and having a locked group and right clicking has literally always spread out the attack order. Never has alt+right click ever done anything like that for me. At first I didn't understand how people couldn't figure it out, but now I'm the one who can't figure out why it apparently functions differently for everyone else. I've actually tested this mechanic and found it works differently than what OP and everyone else in the thread thinks.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Put this poo poo in the OP and from now on relentlessly mock anyone who asks what checkerboarding is.

Classy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: ^^^ it comes up like every single page man it's ridiculous.

Yeah you don't need to hold alt. Just right clicking while you have a locked group selected issues the mass-charge.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 11, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Checkerboard formation should really be self explainatory just based on the name.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This game has a steep learning curve for new players and I really appreciate everyone with the patience to help.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Deified Data posted:

This game has a steep learning curve for new players and I really appreciate everyone with the patience to help.

Yep. Be chill, it's a game with a lot of learning to do and major appeal to people who aren't already into it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Here's a basic version of the autoresolve/AI goals mod. Just put that in your steamapps/common/warhammer/data folder and check the "use outdated mods" box--any mod not submitted to the workshop is considered outdated. I say it's basic because I haven't really gotten the numbers exactly right yet so some battles still feel way off, though more than player vs. AI autoresolve I was kind of targeting AI vs. AI so that the stuff that's fun to fight (big monsters) wouldn't die offscreen before they reach me. This means you should probably ignore the autoresolve bar and try fights manually if you think you can win them since more likely than not that AI stack with 5 heroes in it is getting massive boosts to auto. Similarly, you could probably auto-cheese with all hero stacks. If anybody is interested in checking this stuff out on their own just download Packfilemanager 4.1.

As an aside, I also slightly increased the zone of control for land units. This is a double-edged sword since it brings back the "getting stuck inside town/other army zone of controls" situations that were more common in previous games but it also allows you to more effectively catch/block other units. What I really wanted was the old shogun 2 system of modifying the zone of control of settlements based on the presence of a garrison, but couldn't' see any variables for it here so don't think it's a system at all anymore. What that would do is let me set the default settlement zone of control--another value I didn't see anywhere--really low but set the modifier for having a garrison really high.

shalcar posted:

On another note, does anyone know what the differences between Very Hard and Legendary are? Historically the only difference between the two has been that Legendary enforces Ironman, doesn't let you use the minimap or issue orders while not on normal speed but all the actual modifiers have been the same as VH. Is that still the case?

This hasn't actually been the case as far as I know--legendary has always had separate entries with different values that make the game harder than very hard. For warhammer they've actually not put some of the legendary values in the database so it could be using the very hard values or it could be using other values we don't have access to. Just as a more general note, they've also really taken to specifying more things as _hidden this time around which means it won't show in the unit stats even on hover which is incredibly annoying. Most of the lord/agent skills increase resistance or increase success of certain agent actions in that way and things like splash damage on weapons are also hidden.

For a short list of the differences between very hard and legendary: AI gets a further 5% reduction to all construction costs, resists an additional 10% of public order due to occupation, taxes are increased by an additional 20%, replenishment increased by 2%, upkeep reduced by 5%, all attrition reduced by 10%, horde growth increased by 2, province growth increased by 5, and base public order increased by 2. Oh yeah and the AI is more likely to steal your items post-battle--I remember seeing that but can't remember which table--while you're less likely to steal theirs. All in all this is less extreme than they've been in the past and I'd fully recommend chaos legendary for the added tension and the fact that their later units are just way too good for anything below very hard to begin with, similar to dwarves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just had an absolutely fantastic assault on a maximum-garrisoned Altdorf with a full Franz stack defending. The End Times happened about six turns ago so I'd pulled my other stacks back to defend Sylvania and decided to see if I could take it with just Mannfred's stack of a few Vargheists, two Terrorgheists, and some crypt ghouls, horrors, and guard. Banshee blows up the walls, everyone rushes the gaps and I manage to hack my way to the square as the enemy keeps breaking and reforming. I can't burn down Franz with Spirit Leech fast enough, so he, Mannfred, my Vampire hero, and a Wight King duel it out in the square while my one stupidly resilient group of horrors and remaining terrorgheist cycle-charge the enemy groups that keep routing and reforming until eventually I win under the victory point buildup. Everyone on every side was crumbling or chain-routing, exhausted, and I genuinely had no idea where it'd go. I kept having to pull Mannfred out and have him go snack on a routing group so Franz wouldn't kill him.

Sidenote, I really wish I could trade provinces with an ally. I ended up letting the Schwartzhafen vampires live for a while and its really been a pain. They took Wurtland for me, which was nice, but they're still sitting in Schwartzhafen and getting them to take all of Wurtland while I took Averland instead of splitting was a pain. Now they took Bechafen, which is fine, but I'm sitting in Essen. I'd frankly rather just gift them Essen and be done with the whole province. Our provinces are so entertwined now that war to take back a few places and neaten up the borders would probably hurt a lot more than it'd help, but I also really could use that commandment bonus.

e: Vassaling them doesn't seem to work too well either. I'm at +190 and climbing with them and noticeably stronger than they are, but they still have a very low chance to accept. Any ideas on how to deal with it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I did that quest with the dwarves where you fight a horde of trolls. I didn't check their army ahead of time and just coincedentally had many cannons and trollhammers.

It was hilariously effective. I think just one salvo of trollhammers will cause trolls to rout, and had thre giants stunlocked by all the cannon fire.

Having an engineer spamming his AoE buffs also helps a lot. I've been going ranged heavy armies late game and watching charging units of chaos knights melt before they can charge me.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trolls routed by trollhammers.

Sounds like that weapon naming on was on point.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't for the life of me read Heinrich Kemmler in any other way than Heinrich Himmler.
Probably intentional given the big Ork named after Margaret Thatcher.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Can someone who knows more about Warhammer tell me how they are going to differentiate the remaining factions that they are going to add? They did a great job with the starting five both in the campaign mode and battle mode but how exactly are for example High/Dark/Wood elves going to be unique on the same level?

Probably a stupid question but I'm genuinely curious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kainser posted:

Can someone who knows more about Warhammer tell me how they are going to differentiate the remaining factions that they are going to add? They did a great job with the starting five both in the campaign mode and battle mode but how exactly are for example High/Dark/Wood elves going to be unique on the same level?

You know how some people bitch about magic being lovely at higher unit settings? High Elves are basically an outdated nation that's slowly dying and only really keeps pace due to their downright amazing capability with magic. I'm guessing that's how they'll handle them.

Like, we're talking one of their signature characters just straight up nuked an army off the field in the fluff one time. Then got pissed when humans pointed out that he was kind of a snooty rear end about it and left them to die fighting a war in the mud and dirt like the loving rear end in a top hat he was.

They aren't really numerous and they can't put out crazy stuff like gyrocopters or steam tanks. But they specialize like crazy and occasionally produce some ridiculously powerful and old stuff that no one else really thinks about until it's tearing them up while the elves :smug: all over the place.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kainser posted:

Dark Elves live on floating cities, so we might see the first Faction that has a capital city that can move and they'll use it to raid across the map to amass wealth from other nations and then go attack the High elves on their Island.

Wood Elves live in their forests and may only be able to expand into forests on the map rather than taking cities. So any forest is potentially full of pointy eared gits.

High Elves are likely to be more Vanilla like the Empire but with Elves who turn into loving Dragons.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
How about win conditions? Skaven are allied with Chaos in the lore right?

Do elves have any sworn enemies besides each other? Is the dwarf war thing dead and buried by now? (Not that the dwarfs would ever forgive them ofc)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
For unit types that require a secondary building, does it need to be in the same settlement or just the same province?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheresNoThyme posted:

Do elves have any sworn enemies besides each other? Is the dwarf war thing dead and buried by now? (Not that the dwarfs would ever forgive them ofc)

It would be neat if you could do something crazy, like sacrifice a Legendary Lord and a shitload of gold, to get on the good side of the dwarves again as the Elves.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The Butcher posted:

For unit types that require a secondary building, does it need to be in the same settlement or just the same province?

Same Province is fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

Iirc the dwarves closed out that grudge when they killed the elf king and took his crown.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arglebargle III posted:

Iirc the dwarves closed out that grudge when they killed the elf king and took his crown.

The Elves however aren't quite so happy about that.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone know if any mods exist to have orc WAAAGHH armies be controlled by the AI?

Or happen to know how I could enable this myself?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone know if any mods exist to have orc WAAAGHH armies be controlled by the AI?

Or happen to know how I could enable this myself?

Uncheck control large army.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fans posted:

The Elves however aren't quite so happy about that.

I think they cooled off after a few hundred years, and now they're just annoyed the dwarfs won't sell it back to them.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Rygar201 posted:

Uncheck control large army.

I think that only makes the Waaagh army trickle in as reinforcements when your own units die or rout.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

peer posted:

I think that only makes the Waaagh army trickle in as reinforcements when your own units die or rout.

This is correct. TWW does not support the ai assistance from the previous games.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I love the dwarfs in combat but on the strategic map grudges are starting to get on my nerves. I feel like I can't end a turn without getting a new one and throwing my public order out of whack.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kainser posted:

Dark Elves have always been the best on the ocean, which I hope CA takes advantage of since the tabletop really couldn't. Other than that, they have cheap monsters and some of the best ranged damage output on the tabletop along with more glass cannon style infantry.
Knights on dinosaurs, a hydra, and repeater crossbows/balista

High Elves have very good magic, dragons, and good ranged units and cav. I imagine they'll play similarly to Empire currently, only you'll have smaller formations since there's less Helves.

Lizardmen: I imagine they'll be like Dwarves that traded their guns for dinosaurs. So, slow, high armor, powerful infantry and cavalry. Their ranged infantry are essentially faster, weaker goblin archers.

Ogres: Imagine if Orks were bigger and Goblins were smaller. Bonus points for the ranged ogres using literal cannons as shotguns.
They're the only one i can imagine a campaing specific thing for, which is they probably need to fight constantly for public order. Because they eat so much they need more to eat.

Wood elves; fast cav and tree dude anvils. Oddly enough in 8th edition, they were not a good shooting army. I imagine they will get special passives on the tactical map to allow unrestricted movement in trees, even for their large units.
Something to note about Welve's for possible campaign shenanigans, their queen is also secretly Brettonia's Lady of the Lake, aka their god.

The armies that really live on our current map are Brettonians, High Elves in the trees, Skaven under the Empire, and personally i hope they add Chaos Demons into the chaos wastes(it would give another pressure to the norscans, preventing them from getting so stupid big.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Dark Elves have always been the best on the ocean, which I hope CA takes advantage of since the tabletop really couldn't. Other than that, they have cheap monsters and some of the best ranged damage output on the tabletop along with more glass cannon style infantry.
Knights on dinosaurs, a hydra, and repeater crossbows/balista

High Elves have very good magic, dragons, and good ranged units and cav. I imagine they'll play similarly to Empire currently, only you'll have smaller formations since there's less Helves.

Lizardmen: I imagine they'll be like Dwarves that traded their guns for dinosaurs. So, slow, high armor, powerful infantry and cavalry. Their ranged infantry are essentially faster, weaker goblin archers.

Ogres: Imagine if Orks were bigger and Goblins were smaller. Bonus points for the ranged ogres using literal cannons as shotguns.
They're the only one i can imagine a campaing specific thing for, which is they probably need to fight constantly for public order. Because they eat so much they need more to eat.

Wood elves; fast cav and tree dude anvils. Oddly enough in 8th edition, they were not a good shooting army. I imagine they will get special passives on the tactical map to allow unrestricted movement in trees, even for their large units.
Something to note about Welve's for possible campaign shenanigans, their queen is also secretly Brettonia's Lady of the Lake, aka their god.

The armies that really live on our current map are Brettonians, High Elves in the trees, Skaven under the Empire, and personally i hope they add Chaos Demons into the chaos wastes(it would give another pressure to the norscans, preventing them from getting so stupid big.)

No that was Lilly Allen.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Fans posted:

Same Province is fine.

Does this apply to buildings that apply bonuses? I assume that a building that offers +2 rank to crossbowmen they have to be recruited locally in that province for it to take effect.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
After skimming through the warhammer wiki so can I say that I am really pumped for CHAOS DWARFS :allears:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Playing a Dwarf campaign on Very Hard right now and I have no clue what happened to them but I wiped out Greenskins by turn 23.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

midge posted:

Does this apply to buildings that apply bonuses? I assume that a building that offers +2 rank to crossbowmen they have to be recruited locally in that province for it to take effect.

You have to be in the province yes, but you don't have to be right next to the city you built it in. Benefit is shared across entire Province.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
When playing as Chaos, what determines if I can awaken a settlement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kainser posted:

After skimming through the warhammer wiki so can I say that I am really pumped for CHAOS DWARFS :allears:

Chaos Dwarfs probably won't be a thing unless they've confirmed it. They said that every army with an army book will be a faction, and the chaos dwarfs haven't had an army book.

• Locked thread