Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

Anyway this all means I have no freaking idea why a GTX 970 is obsolete. Surely they are still making drivers for it? Did a new version of DirectX or shader model or something come out that Grand Theft Auto 17 is going to use and GTX 970 doesn't support it?

I think obsolete means here that there will be very soon cheaper and more performant alternative called AMD RX480.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

GTX 760: still not as obsolete as my 650 Ti! What's rather mind blowing is that, despite being orders of magnitude slower than anything in the 10xx range, it still runs everything very acceptably at 1080p.

Yes this was from a hotel, but every single socket that I've seen there in two weeks was like that. Either they do a brilliant job of guessing where a tourist might possibly show up, or they're just all like that :)

You noticed me mentioning the functional 9500 GT sitting in a bag on a shelf, right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SinineSiil posted:

I think obsolete means here that there will be very soon cheaper and more performant alternative called AMD RX480.

That will have the incredibly unstable AMD drivers to boot!

I have horror stories, so many horror stories, about AMD drivers. :shudder:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
AMD manage to break programs in the most amazing ways. There's a great one where it prevents you from selecting multiple things in Maya,

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Titan still has a place if you need a lot of VRAM. Like for real time colour grading with high res (4K-6K) footage..

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Imagine if you bought one two months ago

treiz01 posted:

I bought a GTX 970 6 months ago :( It's now hopelessly outdated AND basically worthless.

Price/performance-wise the GTX 970 is pretty good and you can probably still run most new games on acceptable settings.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jun 11, 2016

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Remember the time when ATi had rock solid drivers and nVidia were the buggy ones?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Remember the time when ATi had rock solid drivers and nVidia were the buggy ones?

No.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Firstly, the Doomsday engine is horribly unoptimized, GZDoom is so much better.

Thanks for the recommendation! It has a download section which doesn't seem to say anything about which operating system(s) it supports? Is this a retro thing, like in the 90s obviously everything was for PC running the latest Microsoft OS, nobody cared about Linux and Mac was dead, so let's pretend it's still the 90s? :psyduck:

quote:

Secondly, hi-res textures and 3D models in Doom? What are you, some kind of heretic?

Well you see times have changed and I don't actually do all my work in DOS on a 386 computer like I used to. I mean should I also go back to not using WASD keys so it's precisely like when I first started playing DOOM?

Also Heretic is another cool game that you can play in Doomsday :v:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
I really liked the *klunk* of the big old pilsner-bothering light switches at my grandma's house.

My first job ever had a knife switch controlling whether or not the dodgem cars were running.

(Not my pic)

I can't think of any non-theatrical situation where that will be more practical than a modern switch/circuit breaker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buttcoin purse posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! It has a download section which doesn't seem to say anything about which operating system(s) it supports? Is this a retro thing, like in the 90s obviously everything was for PC running the latest Microsoft OS, nobody cared about Linux and Mac was dead, so let's pretend it's still the 90s? :psyduck:

Yeah, I think the downloads on the GZDoom page are for Windows by default. Some newer mods require you to run the Git (development) version, due to new features. And you probably want GZLauncher so it's easier to run mods.

ZDoom (and by extension GZDoom) is the standard source port for mods and new development in the Doom world.

quote:

Well you see times have changed and I don't actually do all my work in DOS on a 386 computer like I used to. I mean should I also go back to not using WASD keys so it's precisely like when I first started playing DOOM?

Also Heretic is another cool game that you can play in Doomsday :v:

My main issue with hi-res textures and 3D models are that they look completely out of place in the low-poly world of Doom, like they're trying to fake a bunch of detail that just isn't there. And the 3D models actually change the gameplay too, compared to the original sprites.

Even just texture filtering (bilinear/trilinear) is enough to make everything look like poo poo. Doom (and Quake) had textures that were made with without filtering in mind, so they actually look best with the texture filtering disabled.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why did the switches with the knob you push in die out?

Because most of them used lovely push/push potentiometers so the part that was actually the switch loving loved to get stuck? Based on my encounters, anyway.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I have a 960 and i run everything at ultra settings (70 fps in overwatch), if by obsolete you mean 'can't do VR' then I guess that makes sense

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

It looks like these are in a hotel, unless every house in Thailand also needs you to insert a door pass into a slot to get any of the lights to turn on? :v: Lots of hotels have those universal sockets, does literally every house in Thailand actually have them?

Nope, most Thai outlets are usually like this for round or flat twin prongs.
More importantly 90% of the time they will be horribly fitted and buzz and arc all the goddamn time.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

TinTower posted:

1994, actually.

It was seen as such a common domestic skill it took EU legislation to change the British attitude. :v:

I was taught how to wire a plug in primary school in the 1990s (I imagine it made a suitably low-budget science lesson). I've never actually had to wire a plug in my life, but I suppose I could if I really needed to.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WebDog posted:

AMD manage to break programs in the most amazing ways. There's a great one where it prevents you from selecting multiple things in Maya,

My favorite was when it would run anything 3D and it was telling me it couldn't find a display. I try upgrading to the latest version? Can't install - Can't find display!

Uninstall? One guess.

(Mind you I was reading this on screen the whole time.)

And we just had to toss one in the part box and replace it with a non-terribly exciting Nvidia, as it would randomly shut down one of the screens in my Dad's dual head rig, throw everything on to the main monitor, then kick back on, leaving the main screen all buggered up. The clinching fact was when it buggered up which monitor was which and I couldn't get it to set them up properly again.

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jun 11, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

What color is the sky of the planet you are from?

Here on Earth it is blue...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

What color is the sky of the planet you are from?

I installed new drivers and now it's purple with white stripes.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Nvidia caused 30% of all the crashes in Windows Vista. If that hadn't happened and OEMs hadn't demanded that Vista be certified for their Celeron laptops with 512MB RAM, Vista would have been received a lot better than what actually happened. If you install it and update it on a decent computer today, it's a perfectly acceptable but somewhat unremarkable and dated OS. Windows 7, 8 and 10 all run on technologies first introduced in Vista, the biggest changes have been in the user interface.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phlegmish posted:

Imagine if you bought one two months ago

Price/performance-wise the GTX 970 is pretty good and you can probably still run most new games on acceptable settings.

I'm running fallout 4 on ultra with zero problems with a 970, friends with lower rated cards are having no issues with Overwatch or Warhammer Total War. Doom they've had issues with but that's because Doom has some weird graphical stuff going on.

Sound Cards. Does anyone who isn't a professional musician actually have separate sound cards on computers these days? I saw they do still sell them, but doesn't an integrated card do everything you need, and with USB headphones, isn't sound just software?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I'm running fallout 4 on ultra with zero problems with a 970, friends with lower rated cards are having no issues with Overwatch or Warhammer Total War. Doom they've had issues with but that's because Doom has some weird graphical stuff going on.

Sound Cards. Does anyone who isn't a professional musician actually have separate sound cards on computers these days? I saw they do still sell them, but doesn't an integrated card do everything you need, and with USB headphones, isn't sound just software?

I have an external mixer board (very small) that acts as a USB soundcard so I can plug in a proper Shure (OK, Shure clone) mic to my PC.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

twistedmentat posted:

USB headphones scream gimmick, but you're close - most useful sound cards are external these days because there isn't much room left between the signal capabilities of onboard sound and the signal floor available inside the computer with its sixty-someodd pieces of EMI-generating circuitry.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Switches like that are good for attaching a system of strings and pulleys to when you're a kid (I learned from a friend).

Yeah, but the superior euro toggle switches can be switched on/off by firing nerf darts or other projectiles at them.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

USB headphones scream gimmick, but you're close - most useful sound cards are external these days because there isn't much room left between the signal capabilities of onboard sound and the signal floor available inside the computer with its sixty-someodd pieces of EMI-generating circuitry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're speaking about something like a DAC right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I installed new drivers and now it's purple with white stripes.

Well played, old son, well played.

evobatman posted:

Nvidia caused 30% of all the crashes in Windows Vista. If that hadn't happened and OEMs hadn't demanded that Vista be certified for their Celeron laptops with 512MB RAM, Vista would have been received a lot better than what actually happened. If you install it and update it on a decent computer today, it's a perfectly acceptable but somewhat unremarkable and dated OS. Windows 7, 8 and 10 all run on technologies first introduced in Vista, the biggest changes have been in the user interface.

Mkay, what were the other 70% then? Yeah, I am saying citation needed here.

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jun 11, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For pure headphones USB hasn't taken off yet, but for voip headsets USB has jumped to being the reigning king. You actually have to go out of your way to find a headset that still has two 3.5mm plugs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Sicilian posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're speaking about something like a DAC right?

A soundcard, by necessity, has to contain a DAC.

Anyway I currently have a Creative headphone amp/DAC thing plugged into a USB port on my PC rather than use onboard sound. Maybe it's just because I cheaped out on the motherboard but it really does sound noticeably better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Efexeye posted:

I have a 960 and i run everything at ultra settings (70 fps in overwatch), if by obsolete you mean 'can't do VR' then I guess that makes sense

My gaming PC still has a GTX460. It runs fairly recent games just fine. Very overdue for an update, so relieved I waited for the 10xx series to come out.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah a lot of people use externals, they're good for driving audio monitors, used for music production. They're probably on the way out, but a lot of non-pros use stuff like m-boxes or saffires. Definitely still niche.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

well why not posted:

My gaming PC still has a GTX460. It runs fairly recent games just fine. Very overdue for an update, so relieved I waited for the 10xx series to come out.

This was my previous card, which burnt out last November. I got a GTX970 back in March when I built a new PC. The only game I have or want that the old card couldn't play well was Overwatch.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Even just texture filtering (bilinear/trilinear) is enough to make everything look like poo poo. Doom (and Quake) had textures that were made with without filtering in mind, so they actually look best with the texture filtering disabled.

I guess that's why you need to use the third-party high-resolution textures :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

twistedmentat posted:

I have some incredibly nebulous interference-type problem with the onboard and even a pci-e sound card I plugged into this computer where there's a buzzing heard through my nice headphones that increases with CPU load so technically I have an internal separate sound card. A cheap USB sound card fixed the issue and I haven't really wanted that single pci-e x1 slot so uhhh I haven't bothered to take the internal one out because :effort:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buttcoin purse posted:

I guess that's why you need to use the third-party high-resolution textures :v:

The problem with those is that they all look like poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Elliotw2 posted:

For pure headphones USB hasn't taken off yet, but for voip headsets USB has jumped to being the reigning king. You actually have to go out of your way to find a headset that still has two 3.5mm plugs.

VoIP isn't exactly a general-purpose application and it at least sort of makes sense I guess since most computers don't have 4-pin 3.5mm jacks, but subjecting something like headphones to artificial usage restrictions via a USB connector rather than the standard 1/4" or 3.5mm connectors is an atrocity, so take that "yet" back.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Considering that Apple and Google are removing/discouraging 3.5mm jacks in their higher end models, that "yet" might be sooner than you think.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elliotw2 posted:

Considering that Apple and Google are removing/discouraging 3.5mm jacks in their higher end models, that "yet" might be sooner than you think.

Apple is rumoured to be removing the 3.5mm jack, but there isn't any evidence Google will do the same thing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Elliotw2 posted:

Are you glad for it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dissss posted:

Apple is rumoured to be removing the 3.5mm jack, but there isn't any evidence Google will do the same thing.

If Apple is merely rumoured to be doing it, then there’s no evidence for them, either.

Meanwhile, esteemed forums poster Elliotw2 just said Google was doing it. Now it’s a rumour for Google, too. :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really care either way because I'm the small amount of people who doesn't really use headphones with their phones.

The Android end is happening, since the Moto Z and a couple of other high end phones are confirmed to not have headphone jacks. Motorola is at least being nice and including a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.

Karasu Tengu has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Jun 12, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't really care either way because I'm the small amount of people who doesn't really use headphones with their phones.

Well I do, because balkanizing audio connectors the same way we have data connectors and rendering decades of audio hardware obsolete seems pretty drat wasteful, especially if it's to shave half a millimeter off the thickness of a phone that probably needs to bulk back up a bit for the sake of its battery and its grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But my phone needs to be razor thin!.. Even though I put it in a water/crashproof case that's like an inch thick, probably after I already cracked the glass screen/back