Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't much like chidori, but all the reasons for that can be explained by "she's a teenager."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On one hand, Nico has done Nothing Wrong and is the best, on the other Chidori realizing that first loves don't usually pan out and seeing how awesome Tenga is for putting her feelings first and foremost is a really cute thing. I lean more towards Chidori and Tenga but i'll be totally cool if Nico and Tenga end up together.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really i'll be cool with whoever nico ends up with so long as she is happy with it. she does a lot to try to bring these stupid broken kids together.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChidoriXNotbeingintheepisode

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I feel bad for all the Chidori hate, she's the most "teenager" of all of them. And, in a way, she's the most abnormal of all of them because she's the most normal one. She's starting to see that she's not going to be the last girl and I think that's sending her into an emotional, though "teenage" emotional, breakdown. She'll probably get better, but I'd really be surprised if she gets with either Tenga or Katsuhira in the end.
On that note, I'm interested in how the final couples will fall.
Maki/Yuta is almost assured, and Katsuhira/Sonozaki is a big definite barring Sudden Waifu Death Syndrome, which leaves the Chidori-Tenga-Nico triangle and Hisomu to be left alone with a constant dominatrix. I'm still not a hard sell on Nico/Tenga because it really felt so sudden, to the point of being fake, but maybe that's like real attraction and how quickly it strikes.

So, with the reveal that Sonozaki is taking/took all of Katsuhira's pain, does that mean that she has constantly been feeling his pain when he was beaten by bullies or jumped off of the bridge? That just sounds terrifying. Aside from the "it was a bug in the system", was there any complete explanation about why Sonozaki was the receiver for all the Kiznaivers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

I feel bad for all the Chidori hate, she's the most "teenager" of all of them. And, in a way, she's the most abnormal of all of them because she's the most normal one. She's starting to see that she's not going to be the last girl and I think that's sending her into an emotional, though "teenage" emotional, breakdown. She'll probably get better, but I'd really be surprised if she gets with either Tenga or Katsuhira in the end.
On that note, I'm interested in how the final couples will fall.
Maki/Yuta is almost assured, and Katsuhira/Sonozaki is a big definite barring Sudden Waifu Death Syndrome, which leaves the Chidori-Tenga-Nico triangle and Hisomu to be left alone with a constant dominatrix. I'm still not a hard sell on Nico/Tenga because it really felt so sudden, to the point of being fake, but maybe that's like real attraction and how quickly it strikes.

So, with the reveal that Sonozaki is taking/took all of Katsuhira's pain, does that mean that she has constantly been feeling his pain when he was beaten by bullies or jumped off of the bridge? That just sounds terrifying. Aside from the "it was a bug in the system", was there any complete explanation about why Sonozaki was the receiver for all the Kiznaivers?

I'm suspecting we'll end up seeing Hisomu/Nico. They have been paired off for a chunk of the show's run as Team Weirdo.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Consider: not every character in a show needs to be paired off in the end like you're solving some logic problem

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Erg posted:

Consider: not every character in a show needs to be paired off in the end like you're solving some logic problem

On the other hand, Okada is a big ol' romantic, so even if it's wrong, it's a fair guess.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erg posted:

you have chidori, tenga, and katsuhira on one bank of a river...

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
The only paring needed is Maki/Nico.

Or most of all I really don't want Maki/Yuta.
I suppose there's nothing said that Maki is definitely gay, maybe it was just that one friend. But I'd like them to not pair her off with a dude.
Anime can always use more legitimate LGBT representation.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

given how distant she's been, it would be half-assed to pair maki with anyone.
but i bet it will be yuta.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dunno, Maki pretty much mounted Yuta and was saying she'd go all the way until she realized Yuta was a virgin, i'm guessing she's bisexual.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i had a couple paragraphs typed up, but i'll just summarize:
-yuta hasn't learned anything about himself
-maki still isolates herself when things get uncomfortable
-neither of these people is ready to be Heavily Emotionally Involved with another person, much less each other

i'm sure they will get paired up, but unless these last two episodes give them a ton of screentime i probably won't be satisfied with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i am pretty ok with maki and yuta pairing up

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i had a couple paragraphs typed up, but i'll just summarize:
-yuta hasn't learned anything about himself
-maki still isolates herself when things get uncomfortable
-neither of these people is ready to be Heavily Emotionally Involved with another person, much less each other

tbh i'm reading these and thinking "these sound like cool things that i'd like to see explored if they did pair up" and not "this show should not pair up these characters"

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

agreed, i just don't think those things are going to be explored in the 40+ minutes of screen time left. and if they pair up without exploring those things, it'll just seem cheap.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I still think it'd be better off if there's no "final" pairings since everyone seems to be having their own issues and adding relationships would be a complete mess. Welll I might forgive them if they leave Maki alone...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't care if everyone pairs up neatly at the end, i just want them to be happier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm still wondering what's up with Hisomu tbh. Wasn't he essentially introduced peering over Sonozaki's shoulders directly after the first trial?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SereneCrimson posted:

The only paring needed is Maki/Nico.

Or most of all I really don't want Maki/Yuta.
I suppose there's nothing said that Maki is definitely gay, maybe it was just that one friend. But I'd like them to not pair her off with a dude.
Anime can always use more legitimate LGBT representation.

Let's be real, for something coming out of Japan all you're gonna get is "she connected with another girl as a child and fell deeply in love with her but aside from that one incident she is completely straight and fair game for dudes"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Postal Parcel posted:

No, it doesn't, because They've loaded her up with all kinds of drugs to block her from feeling that pain. As to your second question, they haven't explained that, either, nor have they explained why Katsuhira survived largely intact. An interesting point is that they made a point of mentioning that one kid got the pain of 5 kiznaiver-babies, and that one kid got the pain of 19. I wonder if they're different people, and I wonder who the other one is, if so. It would be fascinating if Katsuhira got the pain of his 5 buddies, which then got cascaded onto Nori-chan, and that happened with the other of "surviving" kiznaiver-babies, to greater or lesser extent..

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i interpreted it as initially five kids' pain was transferred to sonozaki, and over time it became 19.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eej posted:

Let's be real, for something coming out of Japan all you're gonna get is "she connected with another girl as a child and fell deeply in love with her but aside from that one incident she is completely straight and fair game for dudes"

you know that there is japanese media with unambiguously gay or bisexual people in it, right

i can see how they might end up going with makixyuta but i'm willing to trust them based on how good the show has been so far to not try and spin that kind of poo poo if they do

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 12, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Colonel posted:

you know that there is japanese media with unambiguously gay or bisexual people in it, right

i can see how they might end up going with makixyuta but i'm willing to trust them based on how good the show has been so far to not try and spin that kind of poo poo if they do

Yeah but I'm pessimistic about it so I never expect it to happen

I can see that pairing happen but she seems smart enough that she needs time to figure poo poo out before jumping into another relationship so who knows, maybe it'll just be an epilogue/"hinted to happen in the future" type thing

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
drat...this episode really got to me. i can't explain why but of all of them so far, this one is the one that really, really seemed to like, speak to me the most.

i wonder if that's on purpose - putting all these characters as rough sketches of the various ways us, the audience, see the world and what we are most struck by. beyond the basic premise every character has their own distinct Things that really get to them, for Yuta it's the little mistakes and how you used to be that nevertheless still embarass you, for Maki it's the realization of how much you've hurt the people that love you the most, for Nico it's the desire to be entwined and special to someone in a society that defaults to being closed-off and normal, and so on and so forth. at some point or another I think we've all been like at least one of these people, maybe less extreme but with that same underlying thread. i think Mari Okada's been on a kick in that vein lately? Mayoiga has the same idea but is more about how much the refusal to deal with those things can gently caress you up, and M3 was also all about how lying to yourself fucks with other peoples lives (I very much appreciated when the protagonist was reamed hard for how he was being an apathetic and oblivious typical milquetoast hero).

and I think for me it was Sonozaki that did it. I really, really, really really get utterly wigged out when I hear or see about someone's problems and to have someone who felt so much of that to the point where it broke them made me hold my breath for a while. Katsuhira too, at the end, oh god those five kids made me sink like a stone and his reaction was just too real for me

gently caress this show is so good ;.;

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Yeah, Katsuhira being kind of dull as dishwater for the first few episodes was essential. These last two episodes hit so hard in part because of the contrast with his unemotional Episode 1 self. Same with Sonozaki; her awkward run to the roof is the first time we've seen her be anything other than cool and collected on-screen, at least in the present.

What I'm wondering is why they didn't just eliminate the Kizna in the first experimental batch the way they did for our protagonists here, since it seems like doing that might have at least kept things from getting worse. Not sure there are any pleasant answers to that one, though. :smith:

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Yeah, Katsuhira being kind of dull as dishwater for the first few episodes was essential. These last two episodes hit so hard in part because of the contrast with his unemotional Episode 1 self. Same with Sonozaki; her awkward run to the roof is the first time we've seen her be anything other than cool and collected on-screen, at least in the present.

What I'm wondering is why they didn't just eliminate the Kizna in the first experimental batch the way they did for our protagonists here, since it seems like doing that might have at least kept things from getting worse. Not sure there are any pleasant answers to that one, though. :smith:

I'm pretty sure they're lying about removing the kizna, based on katsuhira's connection to Sonozaki. It seems like they can dull its effects at most

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Seizon posted:

I'm pretty sure they're lying about removing the kizna, based on katsuhira's connection to Sonozaki. It seems like they can dull its effects at most

That was one of the unpleasant answers, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Sandman posted:

I'm guessing that it's just a case of incompetence rather than malice. In response to the first Kizna system's spectacular string of gently caress-ups, they installed an off switch in the next-generation version. Certainly, the newer models seem to be far more advanced and user-friendly than the ones poor Sonozaki and company are saddled with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Puts a more sombre light on the "haha watch me jump into a motorway" trick Katsuhira pulled early.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when tenga gets hurt and the pain is transferred to katsuhira because he's a kiznaiver, does that pain then get split over to sonozaki too

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ninjewtsu posted:

when tenga gets hurt and the pain is transferred to katsuhira because he's a kiznaiver, does that pain then get split over to sonozaki too

Yeah, but she probably doesn't feel it because she's up to her eyeballs in pain meds 24/7.

I'm guessing the 5 catatonic people at the facility are the 5 kids that had all their pain transferred onto... probably Katsuhira? And then, yeah, that was added to the pain of the 19 that was going to Sonozaki.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

I don't care if everyone pairs up neatly at the end, i just want them to be happier.

With context, this is the most heartbreaking smile. :(

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Really liking this show so far. It's like what Kokoro Connect tried to do but way better.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Black coffee is disgusting, I sympathize with her.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The little tears :ohdear:
Nico, the precious bab, the best girl.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
this is a very very good show

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode was pretty dull and the ending is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
In this episode, a bunch of teenagers learn what empathy is and then Nori-chan ruins everything.

• Locked thread