Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where's a good place to get good summons Pre-Hardmode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Slime statue farm :smithicide:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There are only three pre-hardmode summon weapons.

1. The slime staff is extremely weak and useless. I guess the baby slimes look kinda cute? Anyway it's a really rare drop (0.01% chance) so that makes it not worth pursuing IMO. I didn't get one until long after getting in hardmode, after I already had the optic staff.
2. The hornet staff is better. You need to defeat the Queen Bee at least once to craft it from Bee Wax, that makes it a bit harder to get but it's preferable to farming slimes for several days.
3. Finally, if you can adventure in the netherworld, start digging up some hellstone. The Imp Staff, crafted from Hellstone Bars, is very good for all pre-hardmode needs and remains useful in early hardmode.

Once you get in hardmode, I recommend going straight for the Optic Staff, which will be useful for a while, then upgrade to the Xeno Staff or Deadly Sphere Staff as you get them.

Note: the console version do not have the hornet, imp, optic, and xeno staffs at the moment. Which means that pre-hardmode, the extremely rare and extremely wimpy slime staff remains your only choice, yay.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

1. The slime staff is extremely weak and useless. I guess the baby slimes look kinda cute? Anyway it's a really rare drop (0.01% chance) so that makes it not worth pursuing IMO. I didn't get one until long after getting in hardmode, after I already had the optic staff.
2. The hornet staff is better. You need to defeat the Queen Bee at least once to craft it from Bee Wax, that makes it a bit harder to get but it's preferable to farming slimes for several days.
3. Finally, if you can adventure in the netherworld, start digging up some hellstone. The Imp Staff, crafted from Hellstone Bars, is very good for all pre-hardmode needs and remains useful in early hardmode.

Once you get in hardmode, I recommend going straight for the Optic Staff, which will be useful for a while, then upgrade to the Xeno Staff or Deadly Sphere Staff as you get them.

Note: the console version do not have the hornet, imp, optic, and xeno staffs at the moment. Which means that pre-hardmode, the extremely rare and extremely wimpy slime staff remains your only choice, yay.

Rush spider gear in hardmode, then get your optic staff.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
The Dungeon I found has turned this game from "WOW this is fun and huge and there's so much to do" to "this is bullshit. this is work. this sucks."

gently caress dungeons. 100% gently caress dungeons.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

AnimalChin posted:

The Dungeon I found has turned this game from "WOW this is fun and huge and there's so much to do" to "this is bullshit. this is work. this sucks."

gently caress dungeons. 100% gently caress dungeons.

What exactly don't you like about the dungeon? Do you have a grappling hook or the Ivy Whip? A stack or two of sticky bombs are good for nuking spikes. Also, the space gun + meteor armor set is a huge help for stunlocking casters and killing skulls quickly. I've never had much trouble with it pre-hardmode.

e. Space gun + meteor armor imo is a requirement for doing the dungeon.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Dungeon is tied with jungle for best part of pre Hard Mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you were talking post-Plantera Dungeon, I would understand. But pre-hardmode dungeon isn't too bad. What's your gear setup?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Unless you're trying to do it before defeating skeletron I have no idea why it'd cause such an extreme reaction.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just so it's clear, there is nothing at the end of the dungeon, nor does it have a meaningful "end". You don't have to explore the whole thing. It's just a biome that you can explore as much as you like until you get the items you want from it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

What's your gear setup?

and

I'm frustrated because I'm just trying to clear the dungeon out of everything but I'm constantly swarmed by monsters non-stop. I hardly get a break to get anything done before I have to kill another 12 annoying pests.

I'll try the space gun + meteor armor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Take out the blue candles.

Water candles increase spawn rates. They're good for grinding but if you can't deal taking them out can help.

Also take the books out, one of them might be a powerful weapon.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

It's funny, I started a new world with the new patch, and got the Slime Staff within a couple in-game days of just mucking around and it was pretty amazing. Toss the little guy outside during a blood moon and rack up the cash in the morning.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Toss the little guy outside during a blood moon and rack up the cash in the morning.

How long will items lay around on the ground before despawning?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Until you exit the world or leave the game, unless they've dropped in lava of course. There's no need to pick them up periodically or anything.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Hunter Noventa posted:

It's funny, I started a new world with the new patch, and got the Slime Staff within a couple in-game days of just mucking around and it was pretty amazing. Toss the little guy outside during a blood moon and rack up the cash in the morning.

Doing this with a coin ring equipped is probably the best money maker in the game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So before in 1.3 when I needed to make a bunch of water somewhere because there was no good fishing lake in a biome, I'd place blocks like so:
   X
X     X

with a couple more layers as needed and just spam right click until I had enough. This doesn't work since the update. Is there no other way to dupe liquids besides pumps now? With all the QOL improvements they've made the last few updates it really sucks that there's an entire mechanic based around fishing but having a large enough lake isn't guaranteed so you have to manually haul water across the map.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

So before in 1.3 when I needed to make a bunch of water somewhere because there was no good fishing lake in a biome, I'd place blocks like so:
   X
X     X

with a couple more layers as needed and just spam right click until I had enough. This doesn't work since the update. Is there no other way to dupe liquids besides pumps now? With all the QOL improvements they've made the last few updates it really sucks that there's an entire mechanic based around fishing but having a large enough lake isn't guaranteed so you have to manually haul water across the map.

Make one end of your lake like this:

X
X
X \
X X
X X X X X X X

For some reason the diagonal block sometimes "divides" water like the old setup would, you just put your mouse above the \ and time your clicks so the water falls a bit down, but you catch the stuff on top.

Alternatively, do fisherquests and get the infinite water bucket.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think full-on stairs coupled with infinite pumps will still work.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Wrist Watch posted:

Until you exit the world or leave the game, unless they've dropped in lava of course. There's no need to pick them up periodically or anything.

There's also an item limit but it's not too much of a problem unless you are farming an event in full moon lord gear and killing stuff so quick that the loot vanishes.

I want to get back to playing but I need to make a new world that has granite/marble/underground desert but they are the ones getting worked on for the next update so I'm torn on waiting until then, whenever it is.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Spergminer posted:

Make one end of your lake like this:

X
X
X \
X X
X X X X X X X

For some reason the diagonal block sometimes "divides" water like the old setup would, you just put your mouse above the \ and time your clicks so the water falls a bit down, but you catch the stuff on top.

Alternatively, do fisherquests and get the infinite water bucket.

Dareon posted:

I think full-on stairs coupled with infinite pumps will still work.

I ended up just cheating an infinite water bucket into my inventory. There's literally no good aboveground lakes in the world I'm in and waiting until hardmode for a 1/70 chance at an item to fix that isn't my idea of fun. Fishing's at a weird place where it's really tedious and annoying, yet balanced in that the stuff you can get out of it is super progression breaking if you want to take the time to fish that ocean pick or stock up on crates. The angler npc is kind of the only bottleneck with his once per day restriction and terrible reward rates, but you can do all the progression breaking stuff without him so :shrug:

I'd really like to know how they thought it was a good idea to have a npc that only lets you complete his quest every fifteen minutes in real time, but still has quest reward rates at 1/40 at the minimum for anything worth getting. Like, there's 41 possible rewards from the Angler. If you wanted one of each that's just over ten straight hours of fishing. Even taking out money/potion/bait rewards that still comes out to eight straight hours of fishing at the bare minimum, and that's assuming you get a unique item every time. Even if all you're trying to do is get stuff for the PDA, doing the least possible fishing, you're still looking at like two or three hours unless you somehow land three consecutive 1/40 rewards in a row.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how I put up with this when I did it before. I'm going to guess some combination of playing with someone else so we could pool our efforts and also getting drunk might have helped

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Bagpuss posted:

There's also an item limit but it's not too much of a problem unless you are farming an event in full moon lord gear and killing stuff so quick that the loot vanishes.

The item limit used to be a much bigger issue, before they made things auto-combine on the ground. Playing in mediumcore(maybe not the best idea since they obviously don't design with it in mind, but it just feels right to me), explosive traps would go off, kill you, and then exceed the item limit with all the surrounding blocks, so your stuff would be gone forever.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Wrist Watch posted:

I ended up just cheating an infinite water bucket into my inventory. There's literally no good aboveground lakes in the world I'm in and waiting until hardmode for a 1/70 chance at an item to fix that isn't my idea of fun. Fishing's at a weird place where it's really tedious and annoying, yet balanced in that the stuff you can get out of it is super progression breaking if you want to take the time to fish that ocean pick or stock up on crates. The angler npc is kind of the only bottleneck with his once per day restriction and terrible reward rates, but you can do all the progression breaking stuff without him so :shrug:

I'd really like to know how they thought it was a good idea to have a npc that only lets you complete his quest every fifteen minutes in real time, but still has quest reward rates at 1/40 at the minimum for anything worth getting. Like, there's 41 possible rewards from the Angler. If you wanted one of each that's just over ten straight hours of fishing. Even taking out money/potion/bait rewards that still comes out to eight straight hours of fishing at the bare minimum, and that's assuming you get a unique item every time. Even if all you're trying to do is get stuff for the PDA, doing the least possible fishing, you're still looking at like two or three hours unless you somehow land three consecutive 1/40 rewards in a row.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how I put up with this when I did it before. I'm going to guess some combination of playing with someone else so we could pool our efforts and also getting drunk might have helped

Well, fishing also gives something that can help with that. in hardmode every chest has a 0.5% chance of giving you an enchanted sundial, which is a place able item that can skip one day each week. It takes a while to get them, yes, but if you get 7 you can just do a quest, activate a dial, repeat. still probably not very useful.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I would imagine (and hope) that you weren't spending a full fifteen minutes on each fishing quest. I imagine it's an easier pill to swallow if you're just spending a minute or two when you happen to be swinging by base. I've only done one fishing quest though, but it didn't seem too onerous. I've been avoiding fishing until I at least get to hardmode, I don't really want to sequence break my first playthrough since 1.1.

Speaking of, apparently I'm nearing 60 hours on this character and I'm finally about to go after the wall of flesh. There's just so much to DO. Built a little greenhouse, and a rail system to help get around early hardmode. Scouted out a bunch of demon altars to hit up after the switch.

I beat all the pre-wall bosses on expert as I went, but I think I'm done with that for now. They were kind of fun, skeletron took 3 tries with crimtane gear and a bee bow, but expert mode just feels kind of obnoxious single player. It was enough of a pain in the rear end building my underground rail line dealing with normal enemies, would have been miserable on expert. Of course, just today I realized I can make peace candles, and I should probably have some sunflowers around.

Anything else that's especially handy to get done before hardmode? I've got a glowing mushroom farm set up, and a couple extra rooms in my base. I'm sure I'm ready, just trying to get done what I can before enemies ramp up.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Well, fishing also gives something that can help with that. in hardmode every chest has a 0.5% chance of giving you an enchanted sundial, which is a place able item that can skip one day each week. It takes a while to get them, yes, but if you get 7 you can just do a quest, activate a dial, repeat. still probably not very useful.

They all share the same cooldown, unfortunately.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ashsaber posted:

in hardmode every chest has a 0.5% chance of giving you an enchanted sundial, which is a place able item that can skip one day each week. It takes a while to get them, yes, but if you get 7 you can just do a quest, activate a dial, repeat.

No, you can't. You can only skip forward once a week, period, making it pretty much useless.

quote:

Its 7-day cooldown is shared between all Enchanted Sundials in the current world, so a second Sundial cannot be used to circumvent it.

The only way to make fishing quests halfway tolerable is to install Tshock and run the command "/time 4:29" after each quest. The official server doesn't give you fine control - you can only jump to "midnight" and wait 4 1/2 minutes (jumping to morning doesn't roll the day over), which is still absurd given how many quests it expects you to do. Of course, if you're running tshock you can just give yourself whatever rewards you're fishing for anyway..

I honestly don't believe they thought things through at all when they set up the fishing quest system and its rewards; the amount of time it would take with merely mild cheating is still absolutely absurd.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
It's lame and you shouldn't have to do it (fishing quests shouldn't be time limited), but assuming nothing got changed in the patch you can set up a server with terrariaserver.exe in the terraria folder, when opens up the server console and a server you can connect to (join via IP, I think localhost works? I'm not at my computer to check). The server console has time changing commands: dawn, noon, dusk, midnight. Unfortunately, 'dawn' doesn't change the "date" and doesn't reset the quest, so the closest time you can set the clock to is midnight and then wait for dawn. If you're quick enough you can catch a the fish between then and morning (you've got about 4-5 minutes), otherwise do the quest first, set time to midnight, and wait.

It sucks that this is the best way to grind fishing quests, but that's how it is.

E:f,b

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've done a ton of fishing quests to get the stuff to make a cell phone. The trick is to not feel like you need to devote all your time to it. Work on your base, explore, grind monsters, do whatever, and then whenever morning comes, teleport to base, get the quest, complete it, then continue with what you were doing (helps to have a watch and a magic mirror in your inventory). If the quest is in a biome where there isn't a good lake, skip it or try to make your own lake (I just located nearby pockets of water and mined canals to pool it all together). The quests will give you items to make the actual fishing faster/easier too. And there's enough things to do in the game that you shouldn't feel the need to go to a lot of effort to change the day & time just to grind out fishing rewards.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I got sick of doing fishing quests around ~90, so I followed this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485530973&searchtext=fishing and quickly exploited my way to the 200 fishing quest achievement.

e: note you shouldn't do all the upfront setup that thing suggests, just move the quest fish into your piggy bank / safe as you catch them so you can catch another.

At about nightfall, go back to the world spawn where you have a house with the angler. Move the fish into a chest anyone can access, then make a bunch of characters (important, they can't share the same name) and have each one turn in a quest fish until you run out or it's another day.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 13, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ali Aces posted:

No, you can't. You can only skip forward once a week, period, making it pretty much useless.

What, poo poo, did they change that? gently caress, why even do that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ashsaber posted:

What, poo poo, did they change that? gently caress, why even do that?

Being able to completely skip every event and cooldown limit in the game, guaranteed, based on items that are only obtainable by getting lucky, is not real good game design.

edit: The quest/fishing stuff isn't very good design-wise either, but the solution to bad gameplay is to fix what's bad about it, not leave in more bad gameplay that happens to counter it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

It's okay for "I don't want to deal with this loving eclipse right now" or similar. Actual fishing purposes, not so much.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

way to go steve posted:

I would imagine (and hope) that you weren't spending a full fifteen minutes on each fishing quest. I imagine it's an easier pill to swallow if you're just spending a minute or two when you happen to be swinging by base. I've only done one fishing quest though, but it didn't seem too onerous. I've been avoiding fishing until I at least get to hardmode, I don't really want to sequence break my first playthrough since 1.1.

Like you said, doing the quest if you've got your lakes set up properly takes all of what, three minutes max? But as other people mentioned, you have to wait the full fifteen minutes until the next quest is available unless you cheat, so it's still accurate. There's no reason to really want one of each reward as most of them are cosmetic stuff, but at 15 minutes per quest it adds up to Way Too loving Long.

Even given that it's not like getting the stuff you need for the PDA for example is impossible. My friend and I managed to make two PDAs when we played together, but that was over the course of a couple weeks and also really wasn't our main focus. It also helped that we had some outright stupid luck when we were playing. The very first drop I got from a mothron that run was a godly eye of cthulhu and I got three more godly ones by accident, while my friend found I poo poo you not no less than five blessed apples. I think all the bad luck I've had in the couple hundred hours I've sunk in this dumb game got cashed in that world.

I think what it comes down to in the end is that Terraria forces a different experience each casual playthrough by having terrible drop rates. You always have crafted gear to fall back on should the rng particularly hate your character, so in a normal experience you go around making things that can more than suffice and use the odd weird unique items you'll pick up here and there. Stuff like the dozen hooks you can craft/find mean the days of waiting for a skeleton to drop a hook are over, and that's definitely a Good Thing.

It just breaks down completely if you know what's available and want to go in a direction that's not "use all available stuff at your current tier interchangeably". I'm on the verge of effortposting about Terraria at this point so I'll stop, but this is one of those games where the majority of the game is good so the little things that suck really stick out.

Tldr: I hate this game sometimes but I can't stop playing it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wrist Watch posted:

Like you said, doing the quest if you've got your lakes set up properly takes all of what, three minutes max? But as other people mentioned, you have to wait the full fifteen minutes until the next quest is available unless you cheat, so it's still accurate. There's no reason to really want one of each reward as most of them are cosmetic stuff, but at 15 minutes per quest it adds up to Way Too loving Long.

Because the intent was that you'd do a fishing quest and then go on to do something else for a while; instead of grinding fishing quests in rapid succession.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The quests are specifically designed to discourage farming.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fishing is something fun you do once in a while, not something you do for 8 hours a day because a man in a funny hat told you too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Everything fishing related would be fixed if it just gave you fish bucks that you could cash in for the fishing related reward of your choice instead of kicking you in the shins with garbage or duplicates over and over and over and over and over.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'll give that I'm being way too goony about the game and it's a hyper specific thing you'd never encounter normally unless you're getting particularly :spergin: about the game but I still feel it's a valid point that fishing stands out as feeling like an especially egregious' time sink if you actually try to aim for any particular thing on the rewards table

e: you know what nevermind I'm just going to quit while I'm behind since I'm alone in thinking like this apparently

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 13, 2016

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Because the intent was that you'd do a fishing quest and then go on to do something else for a while; instead of grinding fishing quests in rapid succession.

This would make sense if you didn't have to do a shitton of fishing quests to get the needed items. Typically I beat everything else before I even manage to get all the parts I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hate inventory management in this game. I want to keep everything. I'm a video game hoarder