Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, she's wrong on this. He wasn't defending Baylor or Briles. He was simply pointing out a fact in today's world that the more successful you are as a coach, the more poo poo you'll be allowed to get away with. And since Briles has been so successful, the report had to be really bad.

Take Tim Beckman at Illinois. There is zero chance he gets fired if Illinois had made a few Rose Bowls under his watch.

As a follow up to this, on his radio show yesterday Keith Murphy did say that Katie Nolan sent him a very sincere apology and he also said he loves what she's doing and he's made a whole bunch of mistakes in his career so he's not holding it against her. I think both of them are great, so it's nice to see that this little twitter feud ended with them actually working it out like adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tony Kornheiser is leaving radio after 24 year... to start a podcast: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/02/tony-kornheiser-to-leave-d-c-radio-after-24-years-to-launch-podcast/

This actually makes a lot of sense because it seems most of us listen to him via podcast, and more flexible scheduling means he's less likely to get burned out.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Hoping the podcast format means Kornheiser can go back to full-on tirades, and that Kevin Sheenan fucks off forever.

e: vv Awesome. After hearing him condescend to people who objected to the Redskins team name, I found it hard to listen to the show anymore.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Hoping the podcast format means Kornheiser can go back to full-on tirades, and that Kevin Sheenan fucks off forever.
Kip Sheeman does the station's 7-11am show now so we won't hear him much if at all.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Considering he was in Bristol yesterday I'm going to assume it's going to be distribute through ESPN.

I wonder if the struggles of that station, owned by Dan Snyder, had something to do with it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, she's wrong on this. He wasn't defending Baylor or Briles. He was simply pointing out a fact in today's world that the more successful you are as a coach, the more poo poo you'll be allowed to get away with. And since Briles has been so successful, the report had to be really bad.

Take Tim Beckman at Illinois. There is zero chance he gets fired if Illinois had made a few Rose Bowls under his watch.

Just figured out how to say why it's creepy to pump up Briles' track record in articles about how Baylor athletics systematically covered up sexual assault.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I hope ESPN released the straight video feed of their main channel from overnight last night because it was mostly Bob Ley and Jeremy Schaap telling Muhammad Ali stories even though they'd probably been up for 20 hours at that point and it was pretty great.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Coco13 posted:

Just figured out how to say why it's creepy to pump up Briles' track record in articles about how Baylor athletics systematically covered up sexual assault.

I guess I don't see how that is the same thing? If Briles sexually assaulted someone, I would agree that you could report it as "He sexually assaulted someone, that is unacceptable, he is fired. Period."

But Briles didn't personally sexually assault someone, and because of his success at Baylor many people thought that he would get to keep his job because Baylor could find a way to spin it. (edit: which, to be clear, would have been a disgusting and unacceptable thing for Baylor to do, but we still thought they would try it) If you refuse to report on the fact that Briles was successful, you are not reporting the full story. The implication that this poo poo had to be really bad or else we all know Baylor would have kept him is part of the story and helps highlight to the average fan just how disgusting this situation was.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 4, 2016

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

I hope ESPN released the straight video feed of their main channel from overnight last night because it was mostly Bob Ley and Jeremy Schaap telling Muhammad Ali stories even though they'd probably been up for 20 hours at that point and it was pretty great.

I dvr'd it, and I'll put it up on YouTube it's some point. That was phenomenal. Best ESPN programming since sportscentury.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

I had to tap out at some point but this was incredible. Once in awhile ESPN can do cool poo poo like this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I look at guys like Schaap and Ley, then wonder if they're from a different planet or something.

Seriously. Those guys consistently put in good work and seem well read about whatever topic comes their way. A rarity in today's day and age.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Tommy Burke put up some excerpts. It's really worth a watch if any of you missed it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Stolen from Reddit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This goes here too. Awful Announcing got a great interview with Harnarayan Singh, of the now-famous Hockey Night in Canada Punjabi broadcast. Really worth a read.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Stolen from Reddit.

Sorry but the only food I think of when seeing Stephen A. Smith is CHEEZ DOODLES

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crazy Ted posted:

Sorry but the only food I think of when seeing Stephen A. Smith is CHEEZ DOODLES

Crab rangoon.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Deathlove posted:

Crab rangoon.

that's preposterous

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ElwoodCuse posted:

that's preposterous

Slava Medvedenko.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Our long national nightmare is over

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/741736708937555968

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There is not a single person on earth who understands the NFL rules, whoever replaces him will have the same problem

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised that none of the networks that broadcast baseball have an unwritten rules analyst.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TL posted:

I'm surprised that none of the networks that broadcast baseball have an unwritten rules analyst.
Dallas Braden would be a natural fit for the role.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ElwoodCuse posted:

There is not a single person on earth who understands the NFL rules, whoever replaces him will have the same problem

The problem with Carey wasn't the rulebook, it's that Carey had zero TV presence whatsoever. At least Mike Pereira gives his inane analysis with conviction -- Carey just stumbled over his words and looked like a deer in headlights every time he was on camera.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

When asked for comment, Mike Carey said his chances of resigning with CBS were "pretty good".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was looking at Mike Tirico's wikipedia page and apparently he doesn't think he's black? :wtc:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I was looking at Mike Tirico's wikipedia page and apparently he doesn't think he's black? :wtc:

Yeah what the hell

quote:

Despite his dark skin and ethnic features, Tirico has publicly stated that he is not Black nor African American. He reiterated that he’s seen pictures of his father and his immediate family, all of whom are White. “The only contact I had growing up was with my mom’s side of the family. And they are all as white as the refrigerator I’m standing in front of right now.” To date, Tirico is apparently unsure of his true heritage, as he is not certain who his biological parents are. He has stated, "Yeah. I’d like to find out the truth at some point, so I can answer questions for my kids" regarding his heritage and biological parents.[21]

He's literally Liam Gallagher from Shameless

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well after a week spent in "EMBRACE DEBATE" land, it's certainly something. First Take didn't seem to feature anything particularly "hot take"-y but Screaming A Smith is a man in severe need of two things: 1) an inbuilt volume switch and 2) the ability to realise that this opinions are just that and not facts. Skip's language just screams that he wants to be seen as street but he's just an embarrassing loving uncle. But, the worst thing about First Take? The loving intro sequence. Jesus H Christ the loving egos involved, and the fact that it was scripted, storyboarded and filmed and no-one at ESPN thought "this is the loving stupidest thing ever" beggars belief. As for the others, Highly Questionable is very good, PTI and ATH are what they are and His n Hers was something I'd not seen before but it was inoffensive fluff

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah what the hell

Maybe he was literally a baby left on a doorstep?

Or he's a big fan of the movie The Jerk?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

He could be Caribbean/Polynesian/some kind of mix/etc....if you don't know your biological background it's hard to say.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah what the hell

He's literally Liam Gallagher from Shameless

I like Tirico. Good dude.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I like Tirico. Good dude.
"Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

Yeah, real good dude.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

"Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

Yeah, real good dude.

I'm at the point with him where if it happened 24 years ago and he hasn't done anything like it since then he's fine. He was just a minor face on ESPN back then so there's no way to know if he apologized, but the fact there hasn't been any recent rumors about him would indicate he's changed his behavior.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, real good dude.

Never watched Shameless, but I got the impression AsInHowe was making a joke there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hey guys, Whitlock and Cowherd's new show debuted yesterday! Surely their drawing power and big contracts would be enough to pull viewers away from SportsCe...

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/742733006213918721

... oh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmao

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Benne posted:

Hey guys, Whitlock and Cowherd's new show debuted yesterday! Surely their drawing power and big contracts would be enough to pull viewers away from SportsCe...

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/742733006213918721

... oh

That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. How many people do they asked to make that rating to even represent?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AsInHowe posted:

That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. That's the lowest rating I've ever actually heard of. How many people do they asked to make that rating to even represent?

It's probably in the range of statistical noise tbh

That's a floor of about 70k households, can't remember if Nielsen readjusts cable

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

exploding mummy posted:

It's probably in the range of statistical noise tbh
It pretty much is.
If this were radio, a rating number like that would be the equivalent to an AM station operating at no more than 5 watts of power in the middle of the Mojave Desert transmitting directly into the side of a mountain with high tension wires directly overhead.

So, congrats are to be had for Whitlock & Cowherd. They are on par with some Christian radio fleaflicker in the middle of Podunk broadcasting in Farsi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Best news I've heard all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AsInHowe posted:

Not that HBO cares about ratings all the time, but I hope Bill Simmons's new show performs just as badly. I need those ads of my TV ASAP.