Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Flying lords I've found best for taking out soft targets like arty and light cav, since if they enter a mass melee their health simply melts away. I think their size works against them, allows more enemies to get hits in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
that and bonus against large now works against them

also their attack, defense, and some times armor normally goes down while speed and charge normally goes up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got a seed of rebirth and gave it to Karl Franz early in my empire campaign. The dude doesn't really need an army. All he needs is people to keep archers off him and he's golden

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm unimpressed by boar units in general.

Yeah they have a decent shock when they hit the lines. But they are slow as poo poo and aren't even that good in melee once the charge is over. In multiplayer I don't find them worth the gold. In campaign lol if you think I'm prioritizing that building before I have literally everything else.

Wolf Riders on the other hand are loving boss as hell for something that only costs 300g.

Yeah that's my experience 100%. Boar units are complete rear end. Slow as poo poo, poor in melee - what exactly is their upside?

If it was strong charge but weak, you'd expect speed

Wolves are definitely badass for being so cheap

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Light Cav in general is way better than I gave it credit for at first. Dire wolves are great.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah that's my experience 100%. Boar units are complete rear end. Slow as poo poo, poor in melee - what exactly is their upside?

If it was strong charge but weak, you'd expect speed

Wolves are definitely badass for being so cheap

Boars are a bit unique in that they come in variants that are armour piercing and variants that are armour piercing and anti-large for a relatively low cost. The orc boar boy biguns are actually pretty good at protecting against cavalry, going cavalry against cavalry. They also make better flankers into a big melee ball if your opponent is running loads of heavy armour, such as dwarves.

Orks aren't a great cavalry faction, but their cavalry does have some good niche roles that you can make use of.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Third World Reggin posted:

grimgor too good and most mounts that fly for mages are for position not combat
Manfred's dragon wiped out half a unit of halberdiers in one attack though. It was so rad I forgot my Terrorgheist outside the walls.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oswald ownenstein posted:

They're great at killing heavily armored units on a charge. Which makes them perfect for fighting Dwarfs or other Orcs when they start getting plenty of Big Un's in their forces.

Make sure to pull them out once their charge bonus starts to wane for a fresh charge and you'll soon have more Dwarf corpses than you can eat.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

grimgor too good and most mounts that fly for mages are for position not combat

Grimgor is asinine because he has stupid amounts of weapon damage, armor piercing and almost every attack animation he has results in an AoE Stun.

I really don't get why they gimped magic but left in 1000 man killing lords.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Shumagorath posted:

Manfred's dragon wiped out half a unit of halberdiers in one attack though. It was so rad I forgot my Terrorgheist outside the walls.

Yeah but that's because he is Mannfred von Good at Everything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the big use for boars is attacking dwarf artillery that and greatweapons that you want to separate off from the main fight

as cav they suck rear end but you have to consider that your primary campaign enemy has no cav at all so you still win on the tactical flexibility front just by having ANY cav

that said, i certainly wouldn't use more than one or two of them, they ain't like demigriff knights in that they can just roll the gently caress over whoever they want or reiksguard in that they can smash into a nerd and then back off quick enough to smash into another nerd, you need to look at them like the war dogs from rome: one-use weapons to obliterate a larger, slower threat that's on the board. this admittedly is a much, much smaller use than literally any other dwarf or greenskin unit so the sentiment that boars suck is still basically true. but it's the use i've come up with for them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've kinda liked them as a way of dealing with quarrelers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had chariots charge my dwarves while the dwarves were moving uphill, everyone who got sent flying by the impact died from the fall, 40 out of 60 dwarves dead instantly.

Grimgor has some crazy stats, he can get more weapon damage then even Kholek by a fair amount.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Keep in mind that Manfred and the other Vampire Lords are insane by design. One of the defining strengths of the VC is that their characters are incredibly powerful. The general rebalance should make it such that Lore of Death is no longer head-and-shoulders the most powerful school of magic that can click delete on your general and best units, but even when that gets fixed the fact that Manny is a two-school Wizard who can kick rear end in melee and ride a dragon is entirely deliberate

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Grimgor has some crazy stats, he can get more weapon damage then even Kholek by a fair amount.

He still doesn't like having five units of handgunners unload into him while he's stuck fighting some greatswords.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I confederated with middenhelm. This was a serious error. :negative:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having three night goblin archers start off on the back of your enemy and then unload their arrows to the entire army line's back is cunningly brutal by the way

the enemy only realizes the goblins are there only when they start unloading their arrows, it's amazing

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Playing greenskins and limiting your self to a goblin army is probably the most fun I've had in this game.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Isn't that the province with the good witch hunter unique?

First total war game I've bothered completing a campaign and I want to do another as VC but I have the raise dead bug.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Grimgor is basically Doomguy from the new Doom

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Isn't that the province with the good witch hunter unique?

It has a +cavalry unique I believe.
(The building is in Carroburg but you will need to build recruitment structures in Middenheim to take advantage of it)

Actually, is there a list of the unique buildings?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

+1 Upboat to Maloy's Spells, it's super good and everyone should DL it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Brettonian mod is tight and it's super satisfying to annihilate an opposing army with a giant gently caress off charge with nothing but knights. When your general is good enough your cavalry will literally run over loving everything. I destroyed the Chaos invasion with a single stack which was Leonceur specced for combat and cavalry charge improvements and 19 grail knight units. I wish I had saved a replay because they broke the Chaos army on a single charge.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 13, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Brettonian mod is tight and it's super satisfying to annihilate an opposing army with a giant gently caress off charge with nothing but knights. When your general is good enough your cavalry will literally run over loving everything. I destroyed the Chaos invasion with a single stack which was Leonceur specced for combat and cavalry charge improvements and 19 grail knight units. Chaos warriors ain't poo poo against that.

my main problem with doing that was my economy

you gotta expand pretty well to get the funds for that. Something like 375 per grail knight.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

you gotta expand pretty well to get the funds for that. Something like 375 per grail knight.

this was late, late game. like turn 140. I had all of brettonia, marienburg, and trade/military alliances with the rest of the humans and dwarves.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone else use the Veterancy mod?

I haven't seen any problems yet but it's super satisfying to see your stacks get veterancy and get buff as hell with boosts to melee and leadership.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yukitsu posted:

Boars are a bit unique in that they come in variants that are armour piercing and variants that are armour piercing and anti-large for a relatively low cost. The orc boar boy biguns are actually pretty good at protecting against cavalry, going cavalry against cavalry. They also make better flankers into a big melee ball if your opponent is running loads of heavy armour, such as dwarves.

Orks aren't a great cavalry faction, but their cavalry does have some good niche roles that you can make use of.

This makes sense. Orks wouldn't wait for a charge to run into their Spears, they'd go bash em right propped.

Re: Azhag
Dropping bjuna on the line then smashing their artillery is just as useful as Grimgor taking on half the line by himself.

Also, for flying mounts. Victor von DOOM is stupid good with Molays if the enemy lacks archers. On his chaos mission starting the Staff chain of quests, I flew him over and murdered their lord and 100 other units before they walked into cannon range. It felt cheap in the best way.

My economy trick was to have a second army of nothing but two trebuchets, a lord, and serfs. Basically a goblin army.
It made for fun dual stack battles and sieges. Letting the peasants take tower fire or get smashed by an orc line and having knights smash them from behind is very appropriate and cathartic

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm somewhat suspicious of the fact that my warrior priests' 'preaching' causes a massive increase in childbirths in the province. How do I have them investigated to see if they're actually a Slaaneshi cult?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

It has a +cavalry unique I believe.
(The building is in Carroburg but you will need to build recruitment structures in Middenheim to take advantage of it)

Actually, is there a list of the unique buildings?

It has both the cav building in Carroburg and the witch hunter/warrior priest unique in Middenheim.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Does anyone else use the Veterancy mod?

I haven't seen any problems yet but it's super satisfying to see your stacks get veterancy and get buff as hell with boosts to melee and leadership.

Yeah, I use the less-potent version. I try to avoid stacking trainer heroes to compensate, because rank 9 Swordsmen are stupidly OP for how cheap they are.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm somewhat suspicious of the fact that my warrior priests' 'preaching' causes a massive increase in childbirths in the province. How do I have them investigated to see if they're actually a Slaaneshi cult?

Historically, cities in the pre-sanitation era actually grew because people moved into them faster than the plagues could kill them off. Your priests are just holding pep rallies!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Or it could be they are stopping things from killing people off thus increasing growth, but there was a priests having sex joke in there and that guy was gonna go for it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Xae posted:

Grimgor is asinine because he has stupid amounts of weapon damage, armor piercing and almost every attack animation he has results in an AoE Stun.

I really don't get why they gimped magic but left in 1000 man killing lords.
My Grimgor in co-op also has the fireball ring and it was absolutely critical to winning an early battle against dwarfs where the fuckers ran down my Doom Diver. We're playing Chaos and Greenskins and everything is so disorganized at my end of the map I'd say CA nailed the setting better than anyone ever has.

edit: I also had a single level 2 dwarf lord and a seriously-depleted unit of quarrelers attack my half-strength base level Orc garrison. I mobbed the lord with everything I had then sandwiched the quarreler unit with goblin spears and he only JUST broke as my first goblin spear unit broke off. Lords in this game cut both ways.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm pretty sure sex in warhammerland involves lying back and thinking of the heldenhammer with no enjoyment involved.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure sex in warhammerland involves lying back and thinking of the heldenhammer with no enjoyment involved.

I thought that was pogroms and witch hunts suppressing beast men, cultists, witchcraft, ending practices like exposing babies for the beast men to take so they won't sack your village etc. Life in a random poo poo hole in the empire can be pretty grim and the warrior priests really do crack skulls and end creepy brothers Grimm forest bullshit.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Fangz posted:

"Summon the Elector Counts!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grumio posted:

"Summon the Elector Counts!"

I do not consent!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

Have you Heldenhammer's abs? I think thinking about Heldenhammer is how peasant women get themselves in the mood for their crooked toothed, foul smelling pleb husband.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wallet posted:

As far as I can tell, it's based on roads. Because of the ground that the Bloody Spears control, I'm not sure there's a functioning route.

This was a few pages back, but I want to weight in.

I just finished up a co-op campaign where I was Ungrim using the LL mod so both players could be Dwarves, thus I started in the North. Throughout the campaign I obliterated the VC and eventually the Chaos killed Kislev leaving me with a literal demilitarized zone two provinces deep between the mountain range and any human faction to my West, so I couldn't trade with *anyone* at all except the other player in the game, thus my income was loving dismal.

I thought to myself, okay, all I need to do is create a route from one of my cities so they can reach their capitals by road, and so I declared war on and crushed mercilessly the Dwarves who had just, through no small amount of effort, claimed the mountain range between what would have been the Border Princes and the rest of the empire.

Once I was done I found out that, *welp* still can't trade with anyone even though I now have a city that has a direct path to every single other human faction in the game. At that point I became pretty much convinced that a faction's ability to trade with another faction has something to do with being able to reach their capital *by road* via your own capital, it can't just be any old city. Since mine was still cut off behind the DMZ, which nobody was populating, I still couldn't trade at all. I thought I might be able to change capitals, but I didn't see the option anywhere, so I gave up.

Also, I'd like to point out that me declaring was on another dwarf faction was loving hilarious. I didn't have any diplo relations with them, but the two of us were direct military allies with several human factions, forming a weird diplo triangle where both of us called several of the same factions to our aid. To Karak Norn's dismay, when I declared war, every single one of their allies abandoned them to help me instead. I was so worried I'd have to fight half a dozen factions but in the end I was able to steamroll them completely unmolested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

This was a few pages back, but I want to weight in.

I just finished up a co-op campaign where I was Ungrim using the LL mod so both players could be Dwarves, thus I started in the North. Throughout the campaign I obliterated the VC and eventually the Chaos killed Kislev leaving me with a literal demilitarized zone two provinces deep between the mountain range and any human faction to my West, so I couldn't trade with *anyone* at all except the other player in the game, thus my income was loving dismal.

I thought to myself, okay, all I need to do is create a route from one of my cities so they can reach their capitals by road, and so I declared war on and crushed mercilessly the Dwarves who had just, through no small amount of effort, claimed the mountain range between what would have been the Border Princes and the rest of the empire.

Once I was done I found out that, *welp* still can't trade with anyone even though I now have a city that has a direct path to every single other human faction in the game. At that point I became pretty much convinced that a faction's ability to trade with another faction has something to do with being able to reach their capital *by road* via your own capital, it can't just be any old city. Since mine was still cut off behind the DMZ, which nobody was populating, I still couldn't trade at all. I thought I might be able to change capitals, but I didn't see the option anywhere, so I gave up.

Also, I'd like to point out that me declaring was on another dwarf faction was loving hilarious. I didn't have any diplo relations with them, but the two of us were direct military allies with several human factions, forming a weird diplo triangle where both of us called several of the same factions to our aid. To Karak Norn's dismay, when I declared war, every single one of their allies abandoned them to help me instead. I was so worried I'd have to fight half a dozen factions but in the end I was able to steamroll them completely unmolested.

Yeah, roads are wonky. Have your mate raze one of the smaller port towns the orcs have and use that for trade. The trade river for the humans runs through almost every major player except the ones stuck right next to the mountains.

• Locked thread